J-Let's Broncos 1st Day draft scenarios

First Day Scenario 1

1a. Darnell Bing- Fits closely with what the Broncos expect from their safety's, but I also like L. Landry late first. I think you can get a safety later rounds, like D. Slay in the 4th maybe, but for some reason expect Shanny to make a pick like this. Again, I'd prefer to wait a round or two on a safety, but I'd sure prefer a 1st round safety to a 1st round receiver in this draft.

1b. Quinton Moses- G. Adams will probably rise a little higher and be gone by this pick, and Moses fits the bill as a pass rusher if he comes out. You can almost never go wrong with a Georgia defender. I would say B. Bunckley here as a possibility, but I think we'll keep Warren and either Pryce or Brown or both will be axed. Therefore end will probably be the bigger need.

2. Darryn Colledge- Would fit well at OT for us as I believe Lepsis will command too much for us to keep. Shanny will feel he can get it done cheaper with some of the young depth he's built up and shifting players around.

3. Demetrius Williams- A wideout from Oregon who like the rest of his team has been overshadowed for much of the year. But I'm worried Shanny might take a flyer on Jeremy Bloom sometime earlier than necessary. Not saying he won't do any good, but I'd much prefer someone else.

I wouldn't mind however if there was one more d-lineman in the mix for this first day, we can use the youth and some extra punch in the middle.

1st Day Scenario 2:

1a. Rodrique Wright- This is a guy who would immediately elevate the overall talent on Denver's line. He can do a little bit of everything and would be a great addition.

1b. LaRon Landry- A ball-hawking safety more than our usual run support, but you have to seriously respect a guy like this from a traditionally great LSU defense and program. He would be a welcome addition IMO.

2. Kamerion Wimbley- Fell off a little bit late in the year, but has the tools to be a great aid in the pass rush. A solid second round pick value wise.

3. Maurice Stovall- A highly talented but slightly up and down wideout with great size and the tools to excel at the next level.

Though I'd be alright with either of these drafts, I think scenario 2 would be my preference.

An interesting thougt about scenario 2 is that is may give some 3-4 defense flexibility like Denver was looking at last offseason. R. Wright could be used as a 3-4 end, G. Warren could play the other end with a rotation at NT of guys like Pope, Veal, etc. D.J. Williams could slide to ILB and have more opportunities to make plays and Wimbley could be used at OLB in the W. McGinest edge rush role. It would definitely utilize more of D.J.'s strengths, and I believe it would be a good fit for the speed of this team. Just a thought.

I'm on board for scenario 2 and the switch to the 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    Yeah, scenario 2 is definitely my preference as well. I think it would add a lot to the defense and create a number of options.

Perhaps then we could also pick up another experienced edge rusher, Ohno suggested Kalimba Edwards a few weeks back and I have to say I like that possibility.

IMO, Wright and Landry would prove to be an excellent 1st round for Shanahan and Sundquist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    With our current personnel, we'd have a major liability defending the run with undersized, block-slippers for linebackers. I also am not sure Pryce or Brown have the durability or base to be consistent 3-4 ends. I can see the defense as a sub-package, but if we went full time to it with limited roster additions, we'd be a bottom five run defense.

I'll take scenario number one. Bing is Bing, and enough has been said about him recently to not add more here. I'm leery of the value of first round safeties, but I love the rest of this scenario to go along with it.

Moses would be instant pass rush and possibly a sub package starter. He could play Ekuban's role, only with actual production. He's also young enough to still grow physically. He'd be a great late round one pick.

The other pick I love is Williams. After the combine, I'm not sure he'll be available in round three. An excellent fit in the west coast system because of his speed and separation ability. I bet he'll scorch Onyenegecha in the Holliday Bowl (any Sooners care to speculate how this bum made second team all Big XII?)

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoKoolAid
    I'll take scenario number one. Bing is Bing, and enough has been said about him recently to not add more here. I'm leery of the value of first round safeties, but I love the rest of this scenario to go along with it.

Moses would be instant pass rush and possibly a sub package starter. He could play Ekuban's role, only with actual production. He's also young enough to still grow physically. He'd be a great late round one pick.

The other pick I love is Williams. After the combine, I'm not sure he'll be available in round three. An excellent fit in the west coast system because of his speed and separation ability. I bet he'll scorch Onyenegecha in the Holliday Bowl (any Sooners care to speculate how this bum made second team all Big XII?)

I'm a big fan of Williams as well. I don't think he's gotten nearly the coverage YET that he should, but then again, Oregon hasn't gotten much credit as a whole.

I would much prefer him over Stovall, but I wanted to incorporate another name for others following the draft as far as a possibility.

Ultimately, I would still like scenario 2, but with Demetrius Williams in the package it would make it ideal IMO. I'm worried Williams' stock will go up as well, but I would not be opposed to looking at him in round 2 either.

Right now, he's the player I'm starting to watch most since there really is no WR I believe Denver should go after in round 1. Thus, I think rounds 2 and 3 will be much better rounds value wise at the wideout and I believe Williams would fit the bill perfectly in Denver. He's risen to among the top of my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by jletourneau
    I'm a big fan of Williams as well. I don't think he's gotten nearly the coverage YET that he should, but then again, Oregon hasn't gotten much credit as a whole.

I would much prefer him over Stovall, but I wanted to incorporate another name for others following the draft as far as a possibility.

Ultimately, I would still like scenario 2, but with Demetrius Williams in the package it would make it ideal IMO. I'm worried Williams' stock will go up as well, but I would not be opposed to looking at him in round 2 either.

Right now, he's the player I'm starting to watch most since there really is no WR I believe Denver should go after in round 1. Thus, I think rounds 2 and 3 will be much better rounds value wise at the wideout and I believe Williams would fit the bill perfectly in Denver. He's risen to among the top of my wish list.
    I know some like Chad Jackson, but I seemed to always tune in on his bad games, or more appropriately, Chris Leak's bad games. I ended up likely Dallas Baker more anyways.

One receiver that won't come out now, but I like is Courtney Taylor of Auburn. He has had a down year, but should he stay, Auburn could be a dominant team at the skill positions next year, but losing both starting tackles may keep them from contending for a title...

I don't like any first round receivers either, but Shanahan's normal comment regarding value is "to hell with it..." We'll take a receiver whether we like him or not...

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoKoolAid
    I don't like any first round receivers either, but Shanahan's normal comment regarding value is "to hell with it..." We'll take a receiver whether we like him or not...
    This is what I'm worried about too.

If, and that's a big IF, Shanny does take a WR in the first round, hopefully it will be with the second of the two picks and my hope would be, if we have to have one that he'd grab Hank Baskett. I just think he is the best fit for this team as far as the receivers who will be in that borderline 1st/2nd range. He's big, fairly strong, pretty good RAC and he likes to block.

There just is too good of depth at D-line, S and OT for the first round this year to reach on a WR, I really think it would be a BIG mistake. And if we were going to look for an offensive gamebreaker in round 1, we would be better served grabbing whoever slips at RB between Williams, Maroney and White. One should be there with our first pick. So if Shanny goes offensive playmaker, he'd be much better served value wise with one of them.

Hopefully Shanny has gotten those first round wideouts out of his system enough to avoid it THIS year, and can grab a better value like Demetrius Williams in the 2nd or 3rd.

1b. LaRon Landry- A ball-hawking safety more than our usual run support, but you have to seriously respect a guy like this from a traditionally great LSU defense and program. He would be a welcome addition IMO.

Laron is more than just a ball hawk he has led LSU in tackles since his true freshman and Sophmore year.

I can't really say how it will play out but I wouldn't mind if we went did something like this

1a) Bing
    1b) Dumervil
    2) Hass
    3) Le Kevin Smith
    (I still think we get 2 third round picks though)
    I don't really have a guy that I couldn't live without but there are lots of guys that I think we have a good chance to get. Williams, Kiwi, Dumervil, Wright, Ngata, Hagan, Bing, Huff, Bullocks, Lewis, Gillies, Joseph and Hass are all guys I would love to see here. If we could land any combo of those players I think we are doing well. I left off alot of tackles that I would love to see here as well.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DB4life[/FONT]