Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DE- Stanley McClover

I really didn't think he was going to turn pro yet, but the most recent rumblings I've heard have said he might be leaning that way.

McClover is a guy I would really like the Broncos to take a look at. Would be a great addition to the pass rush and they should have a shot at him.

Here's a link for those who aren't familiar with him.

http://auburntigers.collegesports.co...stanley00.html

I'd love to have him, but I only really have a vague idea of where his stock is at the moment. Anyone care to estimate where he would fit into the first round? The important thing, though, is that more pass rushing DEs are declaring which means we've got a better chance of getting one.

Unfortunately, I didn't watch McClover as closely as I should've in the three Auburn games I caught because I was focusing in on Quentin Groves, the star sophomore on the other side. Both McClover and Groves have been excellent sack artists, though.
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

He's relatively short and skinny. Those types can work but usually do better as a 3-4 OLB. Provided he times well, he's probably a late 1st, early 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    He's relatively short and skinny. Those types can work but usually do better as a 3-4 OLB. Provided he times well, he's probably a late 1st, early 2nd.
    I agree with your placement, I was thinking approximately 20-45 range guy.

But he's not that short, 6'3", 260 and has some filling out to do. He could probably get up a little and play pretty strong at 270-275.

But I'd definitely take him as a 3-4 OLB, but that's because I'm really hoping that this offseason we finally go through with the 3-4. I actually think it would save us money because of the price of premiere DE's. (Abraham, Howard, etc.) and the fact that M. Williams and Kiwi will most likely be out of our reach on draft day.

Obviously, the 3-4 would be better for D.J., and we already have money invested there. Then I would re-sign Gerard Warren, trade Pryce, let Ekuban and Brown go because we'll probably have to anyway. That should help us hold together most of our o-line.

Then, in the 3-4 our major addition could be Kimo von Oelhoffen to play DE, with Warren on the other side and Pope and Veal rotating in the middle. Sign K. Edwards as a lesser FA, and grab someone like Dumervil, Lawson or McClover to be our rush backer. To me, that would bring a lot more push to our front seven and give D.J. a chance to maximize his abilities, because regardless of his stats this year, he is very talented.

i am intrigued by a teammate of McClovers.

Devin Aromashadu is a big reciever that can make the play downfield. so far he has flown below the radar and, if he times well at the combine, could rocket up everyones list of wide receivers. at this point i see him as a mid (4-5) rounder. if he runs a sub 4.4 at the combine he could go late 2nd round. what do you all think
    [IMG]http://img172.echo.cx/img172/9820/thechampionsigpi6iz.jpg[/IMG]

Made by Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by jletourneau
    I agree with your placement, I was thinking approximately 20-45 range guy.

But he's not that short, 6'3", 260 and has some filling out to do. He could probably get up a little and play pretty strong at 270-275.

But I'd definitely take him as a 3-4 OLB, but that's because I'm really hoping that this offseason we finally go through with the 3-4. I actually think it would save us money because of the price of premiere DE's. (Abraham, Howard, etc.) and the fact that M. Williams and Kiwi will most likely be out of our reach on draft day.

Obviously, the 3-4 would be better for D.J., and we already have money invested there. Then I would re-sign Gerard Warren, trade Pryce, let Ekuban and Brown go because we'll probably have to anyway. That should help us hold together most of our o-line.

Then, in the 3-4 our major addition could be Kimo von Oelhoffen to play DE, with Warren on the other side and Pope and Veal rotating in the middle. Sign K. Edwards as a lesser FA, and grab someone like Dumervil, Lawson or McClover to be our rush backer. To me, that would bring a lot more push to our front seven and give D.J. a chance to maximize his abilities, because regardless of his stats this year, he is very talented.
    I agree with your opinions of changing to the 3-4, but I'm wondering how we would compensate for our undersized backers. Granted, only Gold and Wilson could be classified as undersized for the 3-4, but they're already considered undersized as it is. We might also have to draft a rush-backer, or maybe Chukwurah (sp) could fill that role?

Plus, I wouldn't be to confident in our run defense with Pope and Veal as the NT's. It's just my unprofessional opinion, but I'd say that they're a little undersized themselves to take on multiple blockers.

Rush backer is what I think we would be looking to draft. Dumervil, Lawson, McClover, etc. Re-sign Chuckwurah for depth at the position, maybe use Engleberger there, or try and sign someone like Kalimba Edwards. I think Gold and Wilson could still more than hold their own with their playmaking abilities.

As for NT, I agree. I'm not feeling as though Pope or Veal are the best options, but I don't know that we would be able to get much more of an upgrade for what we'll be able to afford. I would lean towards drafting another NT of more prototypical size who can rotate with Pope and Veal. Warren could play the position, but I don't think he'd want to and we would probably get better production out of him by using him at end where he could be told to get after the QB more than nose.

3-4 might just be the cheaper option for Shanahan.

i wouldnt say 3-4 is a cheaper option only because our linebackers are the smaller quicker type who needs the guys up front to hold off blockers and make plays that way but in the 3-4, you'll need to have your linebackers be able to fight off blockers and that might not be utilizing our strength, whereas we should try and resign warren, and try to draft a DE but another part of the problem is the scheme, i think we will be fine if the scheme is tweaked and if we can find ourselves a good DE, however its also an option to draft a DE in the lower rounds purely as a situation rusher, someone in the robert mathis mould who can play a limited number of snaps but get some serious pressure on the QB
    [SIZE="4"]Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK[/SIZE]
    [URL="http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk"]http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk[/URL]

I adopt [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Erica Weston[/COLOR]

Oh damn, not all the 3-4 talk again!
    I bleed orange and blue!!!

Rest in peace, Darrent.

I adopted Domenik Hixon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry1977
    Oh damn, not all the 3-4 talk again!

I'm going to be supporting a switch to the 3-4 again this offseason. We were all set to make the move last offseason because we had nobody on the D-line, and then we made all the trades and decided to scrap the 3-4 plans.

However, once again, it looks like we won't have the bodies to put on the D-line for next season. The only guys for sure to be here are Demetrin Veal, Mike Myers, and John Engleberger. Theoretically, Veal and Myers are the proper size to play DE and Engleberger could team with Chukurah as the rover. Then all we need is to sign a NT, which could be Warren or Grady Jackson. Or even draft Oshinowo.

DJ Williams would actually be worth a damn as an ILB and the 3-4 scheme has historically given the Colts fits, which is our arch-nemisis.

Making this move, gives us finanical flexibility and draft flexibility with only needing to fill in a NT and possibly a DE type, which are very cheap for the 3-4 in comparison to a 4-3 DE.

The 3-4 just makes the most sense specifically because of the players we have and do not have under contract.

I'm going to be supporting a switch to the 3-4 again this offseason. We were all set to make the move last offseason because we had nobody on the D-line, and then we made all the trades and decided to scrap the 3-4 plans.

However, once again, it looks like we won't have the bodies to put on the D-line for next season. The only guys for sure to be here are Demetrin Veal, Mike Myers, and John Engleberger. Theoretically, Veal and Myers are the proper size to play DE and Engleberger could team with Chukurah as the rover. Then all we need is to sign a NT, which could be Warren or Grady Jackson. Or even draft Oshinowo.

DJ Williams would actually be worth a damn as an ILB and the 3-4 scheme has historically given the Colts fits, which is our arch-nemisis.

Making this move, gives us finanical flexibility and draft flexibility with only needing to fill in a NT and possibly a DE type, which are very cheap for the 3-4 in comparison to a 4-3 DE.

The 3-4 just makes the most sense specifically because of the players we have and do not have under contract.
    Cool, I'd like to see that...

MUG, D.J. Williams is the shizzle still, just because he moved to SAM doesn't mean he is playing poorly. You and I both know he'd be tearing it us stats wise if he was playing the weak side.

I don't care if we go 3-4 or not. I would love to see Chuk get back into things, I don't know why he's never in on passing downs anymore. I agree it makes a lot of sense, but I'd rather see some pretty hard evidence on it rather than speculation. I still think Warren is going to stick around, and I think he could anchor a 3-4 no problem. The big question is what happens to Pryce, Brown, and Ekuban.

We have a lot of cap space to clear, I know that.

Rest in peace, Darrent.

I love the 3-4 defense. I always have.

Still, I hope we don't try to run it any time soon. We may be able to pick up players that can fill the NT and 3-4 DE spots, but a permanent 3-4 scheme would take away too much: namely Ian Gold and Al Wilson. Wilson is simply not big enough to dominate in a 3-4. He can't take on 350lb guards with consistent success being only 6' 240lbs. Ian Gold has it even worse. He weighs 225, and there is no place for him in a 3-4 at all. Even a weakside rush LB needs more weight than Gold has.

Also, every dominating 3-4 defense has had excellent play at the SS position. Take a look at every good and bad 3-4 defense over the years and tell me otherwise. Neither Ferguson or Lynch is a dominating performer... good, but not dominating.

Cornerbacks, as well, are usually larger and more physical in a 3-4 scheme. Our corners are excellent in coverage, but (except for Champ) are more of the "cover corner" variety.

In all respects our defensive scheme and personel are based on totally different things than a standard 3-4 defense. We would need to spend far too much in the draft to change schemes in one year, and our offense would suffer from such a strategy. Our offense, as it is, is comprised entirely of blue collar, average to above-average players. Since Sharpe and Portis left there has been no one to take our offense to a new level. We need at least one player with that kind of promise in the draft.

EDIT:

As for our defense now, look at the strengths we have. We have a very good 4-3 type linebacking corps, a ton of talent, youth, and expertise at the CB position, and our pick of some above-average D-lineman.

Our defensive weaknesses?...scheme for one. I despise the pure zone blitz defense concept. Pass rushing is everything in today's NFL. Even if you want to play the run first like Denver does, you should be able to switch to a pass rushing strategy when your team is up 28 points in the 3rd quarter.

Secondly, D-line talent. We all know this well, so I won't go into it. Our talent (except for the nose position) is good this year, but who knows how it will look next year. We need a longterm solution.

Third, safeties. Our safeties have played as well as their talent indicates, but the talent thereof is dwindling due to age. Give me a ballhawk like Ko Simpson, Dwayne Slay, Greg Blue, or Jason Allen... someone with some upside.

We have a lot of the players you need to have a dominating defense like the Baltimore Ravens of 2001. The difference is coaching, scheme, and a pass rush. I truly believe that is it.
    Last edited by MileHighSpirit; 12-19-2005 at 01:22 PM.
    “One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain” ~Thomas Sowell

2008 Draft: my grade --> A-

Quote Originally Posted by Perry1977
    MUG, D.J. Williams is the shizzle still, just because he moved to SAM doesn't mean he is playing poorly. You and I both know he'd be tearing it us stats wise if he was playing the weak side.

I don't care if we go 3-4 or not. I would love to see Chuk get back into things, I don't know why he's never in on passing downs anymore. I agree it makes a lot of sense, but I'd rather see some pretty hard evidence on it rather than speculation. I still think Warren is going to stick around, and I think he could anchor a 3-4 no problem. The big question is what happens to Pryce, Brown, and Ekuban.

We have a lot of cap space to clear, I know that.
    Completely disagree on DJ Williams. He sucked his first year at WLB. He can tackle and he's fast, but he's not a playmaker, he never has been, even at Miami.

He's a pure MLB. That's where he would have been in Miami if Vilma wasn't there. He's completely out of position at WILL or SAM. The guy is vastly talented, but he's a Zach Thomas type minus the blitzing ability which hopefully will come in time.

Understand, a LB that gets 100 tackles isn't "tearing it up", especially if the D-line in front of him gets none. Last year, as stated by Coyer, DJ was terrible at WILL. To the point the team RAN out and signed Ian Gold for 25 million instead of keeping a Pro Bowl calibur DE. That SHOUTS volumes.

And the sad thing is that Williams is not even producing what Mobley or even Spragan did for us at SAM. He's still not a playmaker, he still can't blitz, but now we aren't even using his tackling ability.

UNTIL he is allowed to replace Al Wilson or he is moved inside on a 3-4, DJ Williams is a massive and huge bust of a pick. That's the pure truth.

Hmm, alright. Maybe there is something to that, but I still haven't seen him make any huge mind-numbing mistakes. He did tend to overrun the plays in the early stages of last year, but that seemed to get coached out of him. It's interesting you submit he should be a MLB, I have never heard that on him before.

Rest in peace, Darrent.