Page 558 of 560 FirstFirst ... 58 458 508 548 556 557 558 559 560 LastLast
Results 8,356 to 8,370 of 8387
    John Wick 3 8/10. The action is insane from beginning to end.

Aladdin. 6.5/10

I went in with low expectations I mean how can you top the original? Wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. The actor who portrayed Aladdin was charming and charismatic and I liked him as Aladdin, jasmine was good pretty hot, will Smith as the genie was actually pretty good. He didnt try to be like Robin William's and made genie his own but was still funny and magical. The weakest part of the movie was definitely jafar. They chose the wrong actor for jafar.

Overall not bad.

Dark Phoenix 5/10

This one started off well enough but the plot was weak, the villains were weak, and the ending poor. There was some decent action at certain points but It fell flat and I left feeling empty and "bleh". Sophie Turner was okay, but Jennifer Lawrence gave a wooden, by-the-numbers performance like she just wanted to get it over with and get out of there. Absolutely nothing was done to age Beast, Prof. X and Magneto even though this takes place thirty years after First Class.

As far as adapting the Dark Phoenix saga from the comics, it did only a slightly better job than X3 which also failed. To effectively tell this story, they either need to devote a trilogy to that, or an entire season of an X-Men TV show, otherwise they are forced to make changes (stupid ones in these films) to abbreviate the saga and it loses all of its emotional power. I simply didn't care about this Jean or Scott, they had zero development, and the fall into so-called darkness was sudden and not very significant or powerful.

It wasn't as bad I thought it would be though after seeing the Rotten Tomatoes score of 23% (Audience score is 65%) and it certainly isn't worse than X-Men Origins: Wolverine as some critics claimed, but it wasn't a good film either.

R.I.P. Fox X-Men, may Marvel Studios do the team properly at last.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Dark Phoenix 5/10

This one started off well enough but the plot was weak, the villains were weak, and the ending poor. There was some decent action at certain points but It fell flat and I left feeling empty and "bleh". Sophie Turner was okay, but Jennifer Lawrence gave a wooden, by-the-numbers performance like she just wanted to get it over with and get out of there. Absolutely nothing was done to age Beast, Prof. X and Magneto even though this takes place thirty years after First Class.

As far as adapting the Dark Phoenix saga from the comics, it did only a slightly better job than X3 which also failed. To effectively tell this story, they either need to devote a trilogy to that, or an entire season of an X-Men TV show, otherwise they are forced to make changes (stupid ones in these films) to abbreviate the saga and it loses all of its emotional power. I simply didn't care about this Jean or Scott, they had zero development, and the fall into so-called darkness was sudden and not very significant or powerful.

It wasn't as bad I thought it would be though after seeing the Rotten Tomatoes score of 23% (Audience score is 65%) and it certainly isn't worse than X-Men Origins: Wolverine as some critics claimed, but it wasn't a good film either.

R.I.P. Fox X-Men, may Marvel Studios do the team properly at last.
    The X-Men movies are falling off. The way to save it is bring in an actor with some serious chops to play Mr. Sinister. He was a very psychological villain, much like the Joker. Aidan Gillen anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    The X-Men movies are falling off. The way to save it is bring in an actor with some serious chops to play Mr. Sinister. He was a very psychological villain, much like the Joker. Aidan Gillen anyone?
    First Class was a "soft reboot" and Fassbender was the actor with chops for Magneto, starting with his origin in a Polish concentration camp. It's just that fatigue with that team has set in, and Fox has been very hit & miss with this franchise, even installments with Kevin Feige's name on them like X3.

Sinister and his Marauders would be a good choice for the next generation at some point. After they get set up, doing the Mutant Massacre story line would be a great!

I finally saw Captain Marvel. 4/10

It gets points for the funny alien cat, the successful digital de-aging of Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg, and some other nice FX, but I did not care for the disjointed origin story nor the sudden 180 with the skrulls, trusting them completely. I also didn't like Brie Larson's portrayal nor how the character was designed and written as haughty, vapid, and overly powerful. You want a feminist icon, Wonder Woman is how to do it! There was no genuine threat to C.M. at any point and she sliced through foes like a hot knife through butter. <yawn> Even Superman has kryptonite but not her! I don't recall Captain Marvel nor Ms. Marvel/Carol Danvers ever behaving like this nor being empowered to such a ridiculous and invincible degree in the comics. This movie belongs at the bottom of the lowest tier of the Marvel film franchise. Obnoxious agendas and attitudes (Disney's and Larson's) should be checked at the door.
    Last edited by L.M.; 06-12-2019 at 10:39 AM.

I finally saw Captain Marvel. 4/10

It gets points for the funny alien cat, the successful digital de-aging of Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg, and some other nice FX, but I did not care for the disjointed origin story nor the sudden 180 with the skrulls, trusting them completely. I also didn't like Brie Larson's portrayal nor how the character was designed and written as haughty, vapid, and overly powerful. You want a feminist icon, Wonder Woman is how to do it! There was no genuine threat to C.M. at any point and she sliced through foes like a hot knife through butter. <yawn> Even Superman has kryptonite but not her! I don't recall Captain Marvel nor Ms. Marvel/Carol Danvers ever behaving like this nor being empowered to such a ridiculous and invincible degree in the comics. This movie belongs at the bottom of the lowest tier of the Marvel film franchise. Obnoxious agendas and attitudes (Disney's and Larson's) should be checked at the door.
    When she becomes binary and has the power of a white hole she is that OP, but as Captain Marvel no she should not be that OP.

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    When she becomes binary and has the power of a white hole she is that OP, but as Captain Marvel no she should not be that OP.
    Carol's transformation into Binary was actually the first issue of the X-Men I ever bought! Writer Chris Claremont liked super powerful women (which is why he created Phoenix) but they don't fit into a team dynamic and rendered the rest of the characters as "fifth wheels". I think Chris realized he'd done it again (or his editors reminded him more likely) so he got Carol out of there ASAP, off exploring space with the Starjammers until other writers stripped her of all those powers to make her into a functional character again.

First Class was a "soft reboot" and Fassbender was the actor with chops for Magneto, starting with his origin in a Polish concentration camp. It's just that fatigue with that team has set in, and Fox has been very hit & miss with this franchise, even installments with Kevin Feige's name on them like X3.

Sinister and his Marauders would be a good choice for the next generation at some point. After they get set up, doing the Mutant Massacre story line would be a great!
    They screwed up by not actually using the real first class instead we got a bunch of forgettable mutants that are never mentioned again. The only good parts were Xavier and magnetos chemistry other than that I dont get why people hold first class in such high regard

Quote Originally Posted by captainbronco View Post
    They screwed up by not actually using the real first class instead we got a bunch of forgettable mutants that are never mentioned again. The only good parts were Xavier and magnetos chemistry other than that I dont get why people hold first class in such high regard
    Fassbender and McAvoy did a great job and really carried that one, and this counts for a lot. I think that the appeal is also the retro '60s gimmick, and January Jones as Emma Frost wasn't too hard on the eyes either! It also had the novelty of a fresh start with a lot of new faces...but yeah, by the next film, half those mutants were already dead, including Emma which was a total waste. Since it wasn't a full reboot and still existed in the original trilogy continuity, they couldn't include Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, and Jean to make the original five from the comics.

The seemingly "mandatory" decade jumps between films also really undid this franchise, and this '90s installment was pointless. They did nothing with that and I couldn't even tell it was the '90s. Though I liked Captain Marvel even less, at least it had a Blockbuster Video!

Fassbender and McAvoy did a great job and really carried that one, and this counts for a lot. I think that the appeal is also the retro '60s gimmick, and January Jones as Emma Frost wasn't too hard on the eyes either! It also had the novelty of a fresh start with a lot of new faces...but yeah, by the next film, half those mutants were already dead, including Emma which was a total waste. Since it wasn't a full reboot and still existed in the original trilogy continuity, they couldn't include Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, and Jean to make the original five from the comics.

The seemingly "mandatory" decade jumps between films also really undid this franchise, and this '90s installment was pointless. They did nothing with that and I couldn't even tell it was the '90s. Though I liked Captain Marvel even less, at least it had a Blockbuster Video!
    The continuity is so messed in these movies who really cares at this point? First class was a soft reboot. They develop jean and cyclops characters in first class into DOFP and apocalypse then do a dark Phoenix saga and by then we've seen them in 3 movies. Instead they thought it was a good idea to center a movie around characters we have had zero time to invest in.

Us - 8.5/10. Best Horror film Ive seen in a real long time.

Yesterday - 8.5 out of 10. I loved this film. I rate it so highly because I love the Beatles and the message of their music still being relevant and timeless is something I can get behind. Good performances by all. Ed Sheeran was good. And the cameo was heart warming for anyone who loves The Beatles. I recommend it highly.

The New Spiderman movie - 8/10 Really enjoyed this one. Tom Holland is a really good actor for this role. Will caution people that if you haven't somehow already seen Avengers: Endgame, there are spoilers in this Spiderman that will give a good part of it away. Great popcorn flick. Hope they make another one with Holland as Spiderman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    The New Spiderman movie - 8/10 Really enjoyed this one. Tom Holland is a really good actor for this role. Will caution people that if you haven't somehow already seen Avengers: Endgame, there are spoilers in this Spiderman that will give a good part of it away. Great popcorn flick. Hope they make another one with Holland as Spiderman.
    Saw it last night. Thought it took awhile to get going but yeah I enjoyed the start to MCU phase 2.