Page 508 of 560 FirstFirst ... 8 408 458 498 506 507 508 509 510 518 558 ... LastLast
Results 7,606 to 7,620 of 8387
    Saw the new "Town That Dreaded Sundown" on Netflix. As a horror movie guru, i was very glad that netflix put this movie on their list. I remember when i was younger that the original was great and this one was just as good, had a very 90's style killer unveiling twist at the end which I enjoyed! out of 10 i would give it a 7..

The only thing about the Oscars that really upset me was Zimmer losing for Original Score. No one composed a better, more important (to the accompanying film) score than Zimmer. GBH's score was nice and hearty, but it included classical pieces not composed by Desplat and I felt that should have disqualified it since it's supposed to be "original". Even so, Zimmer's score was stronger.

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Fifty Shades of Grey - 7/10
    As in really!

Whiplash- 10/10

Wow what an intense movie. Jk Simmons was a beast and definitely deserved the Oscar for supporting actor.

Honestly I thought the kid may have deserved some praise for best actor too. Not necessarily won but at least mentioned.

This movie gave me a new found respect for what a lot of great musicians around the country probably go through to try to make it big in the music industry.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Whiplash- 10/10

Wow what an intense movie. Jk Simmons was a beast and definitely deserved the Oscar for supporting actor.

Honestly I thought the kid may have deserved some praise for best actor too. Not necessarily won but at least mentioned.

This movie gave me a new found respect for what a lot of great musicians around the country probably go through to try to make it big in the music industry.
    The wife and myself have been on a movie kick. We watched Wiplash night 2 and Gone Girl night 3. Both movies were different from anything I've ever watched which is awesome. I like movies or music that's unique. Long story short I agree with your rating of 10/10 on Wiplash. I would also give a 10/10 to Gone Girl which I didn't think I'd like. Watched Inherent Vice which was very different, I cant even rate it I don't think without watching it again.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

I watched Bounty Killer on Netflix. It had a lot of good quality kills and splatter. I gave it 5-stars. I would summarize it as an easy on the eyes grindhouse style movie similar to Mad Max with a lot more action. The only recognizable actor is Gary Busey who has a great one-liner in the movie that cracked me up.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Go watch the Book Thief if you haven't already. I just watched it this week and didn't even know it was one of his ahead of time.

I thought it was a little below what I had heard it to be. But still a pretty solid movie. And better than Grand Budapest. I would go around 6.5 to 7 though not 10's.
    The Book Thief is one of my all time favorite books. Read it 3 times. The movie was OK and I wished I hadn't gone to see it because it was somewhat disappointing. As a movie it was extremely difficult to capture the depth of the "death narrator" and the girls character. This does tend to happen when movies are based off of great books. Same thing that happened to one of my other favorite books entitled The Lovely Bones.

Whiplash was incredible and I rate it 10/10. Simmons was outstanding yet hard to watch his abusive behavior.

Still Alice was another movie that I thought did really well in capturing early onset Alzheimer's because of Julianne Moore's brilliant performance. She certainly deserved the Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by RealBronco View Post
    Alrighty. As promised probably a month ago, I have completed my reviews for the 8 Best Picture nominees. Since the Oscars are today, I figured I better get those published at the very least. I still have to go through and write up some stuff on some of the other nominated categories' films.

I know we've been discussing most of these pictures already, but if anyone is interested of course. Here you go.
    Nice write up at your link...

I have to say, I agree with your rating on American Sniper. I really wanted to like it. But I found it to be very generic in terms of the overall arc. The soldier who wants to fight for his country - becomes traumatized - comes home - has difficulty readjusting to civilian life and personal/home life. Hearing innocuous items that flash him back to 'the war' etc(like a lawnmower or helicopter) etc. I mean they were telling this story when movies were in black and white.

I should probably be careful here though. I dont want to imply that this issue doesn't have merit and I'm not saying it's not a real problem for soldiers. But, for all the hype I expected more from a movie. So I'm rating a movie, I'm not rating US Soldiers or what they have to go through.

I was not all that impressed with the movie. I really thought for the most part the movie's 'idea' was just a recycled story that we've all seen already. Supposedly based on a true story, they are obviously forced to follow a certain storyline even if that story is generic, but that doesn't exempt them from a lesser rating.

I think the reasons why a lot of people really loved this movie probably had more to do with the fact that the Protag was a US War Hero. Patriotism probably welled up in veterans and family members of vets etc. Anyone with American pride probably were seduced to some degree. And that's ok. It's just a movie. It's art. But if you can separate out the movie from the cloudy emotions of the viewers, you're just left with a typical soldier ptsd story movie.

Just my 2c
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Nice write up at your link...

I have to say, I agree with your rating on American Sniper. I really wanted to like it. But I found it to be very generic in terms of the overall arc. The soldier who wants to fight for his country - becomes traumatized - comes home - has difficulty readjusting to civilian life and personal/home life. Hearing innocuous items that flash him back to 'the war' etc(like a lawnmower or helicopter) etc. I mean they were telling this story when movies were in black and white.

I should probably be careful here though. I dont want to imply that this issue doesn't have merit and I'm not saying it's not a real problem for soldiers. But, for all the hype I expected more from a movie. So I'm rating a movie, I'm not rating US Soldiers or what they have to go through.

I was not all that impressed with the movie. I really thought for the most part the movie's 'idea' was just a recycled story that we've all seen already. Supposedly based on a true story, they are obviously forced to follow a certain storyline even if that story is generic, but that doesn't exempt them from a lesser rating.

I think the reasons why a lot of people really loved this movie probably had more to do with the fact that the Protag was a US War Hero. Patriotism probably welled up in veterans and family members of vets etc. Anyone with American pride probably were seduced to some degree. And that's ok. It's just a movie. It's art. But if you can separate out the movie from the cloudy emotions of the viewers, you're just left with a typical soldier ptsd story movie.

Just my 2c
    This is exactly how I felt. I left the theater feeling like, what's the big deal? When movies get so hyped like this it usually sets people up for a big disappointment anyway because it creates too much expectation and it's hard to meet them.

My wife and I just went and saw Jupiter Ascending in 3D. This was the first movie we have gone to together since the first Jurassic Park many moons ago.

Wow, the movie theaters have really changed. This theater had electric leather recliners and tons of room. The sound system was awesome and the price was great (9.00 each). Obviously this is if you don't buy the $15.00 bucket of popcorn and $5.00 coke.

Back to the movie. I know the movie did not get very good reviews because some of the Sci-Fi crowd are very tough on movies but I thought the story was good and the visuals in 3D were absolutely AWESOME. I caught myself ducking in my seat a couple times as things went flying by my head.

There is something for everyone, The girls get to watch Channing Tatum and the guys get to watch Mila Kunis. I was not a big fan of the Vulcan ears on Tatum's character but oh well.

If you are not that worried about how accurate the movie is to space travel etc. than you will enjoy the movie. There is plenty of action in this movie and the visuals are absolutely stunning in 3D.

I would recommend the movie to my friends.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Insurgent, chapter 2 in the Divergent series. A solid 8 on the Post-Apocalyptic movie scale.

Note: Be sure to watch Divergent first, it's on one of the movie channels now.

The continuing adventures of Tris and Four, a couple of Divergents (intellectual misfits) on the run as fugitive outcasts. I highly recommend the 3D version as there are a couple of scenes that truly merit the effect. Particularly the sim test where Tris is trying to save her mother from a burning house that suddenly goes airborne complete with aerial maneuvers through a high rise urban jungle Kinda adolescent but very entertaining.

Great special effects!
    [

Dumb and dumber to 6/10
    What can i say? I loved the first one grew up with it so when i heard that they were doing a sequel 20 some years later i was pumped was it better than the original no but i did enjoy watchin daniels and carey return to their iconic rolls SPOILERS
    Best part had to be when they found their sheep dog van and drove it off a hill ferris bueler style i laughed pretty hard

Overall it wasnt what i was expecting after 20 years some jokes fell flat and they really dragged out their stupidity i know theyre supposed to be stupid but it just seemed like they were trying to hard but at the same time i smiled the whole way through you'll either like it or hate that there was even a sequel made

Interstellar 8.5/10
    What an awesome movie and an awesome take on space travel i had expectations since everyone seemed to love this movie and it definitely lived up to it some parts were heart renching and some were slow but overall i really liked this movie all right all right all right

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    Insurgent, chapter 2 in the Divergent series. A solid 8 on the Post-Apocalyptic movie scale.

Note: Be sure to watch Divergent first, it's on one of the movie channels now.

The continuing adventures of Tris and Four, a couple of Divergents (intellectual misfits) on the run as fugitive outcasts. I highly recommend the 3D version as there are a couple of scenes that truly merit the effect. Particularly the sim test where Tris is trying to save her mother from a burning house that suddenly goes airborne complete with aerial maneuvers through a high rise urban jungle Kinda adolescent but very entertaining.

Great special effects!
    Just saw it in 3D as well.

I thought it was better than the first installment Divergent, but you have to see that so you will understand the second installment, Insurgent. It did kind of drag at the very start of the movie but definitely got going quickly and was a very good movie overall.

I can't decide if I like Tris with long or short hair. She had a beautiful full head of hair before she cut it off.

The action scenes in the sim test were awesome. When is the next one due out?

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Fast 7- 7.5/10

I'm a die hard fan of the series so I'm going to love it no matter what. This one didn't disappoint but wasn't on the level of the original or the 5th and 6th.

The ending had a real good tribute to Paul Walker. Still can't believe he is gone.

Fast 7- 7.5/10

I'm a die hard fan of the series so I'm going to love it no matter what. This one didn't disappoint but wasn't on the level of the original or the 5th and 6th.

The ending had a real good tribute to Paul Walker. Still can't believe he is gone.
    Yeah id rate it about the same i liked it thought his send off was great instead of just killing him off bummed hes gone itll never be the same