Page 554 of 556 FirstFirst ... 54 454 504 544 552 553 554 555 556 LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 8331
  1. #8296
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    9,230
    Aquaman: 5/10

    As far as DC films go, this one was pretty fun. It's not dark and gloomy like MoS, BvS and the non Whedon half of JL.

    It relies heavily on CGI of course (98% of the movie takes place under water so...) but it relies mostly on the personality of Jason Momoa.

    They made a big mistake shoehorning Black Manta into this movie. His role and story should have been left out completely, as the main focus of the film is on King Orm's false flag and attempt to rally (take over) the other kingdoms under the sea to wage war against the surface. Black Manta was just a way to slow down or get in the way of Aquaman for 10 minutes to prolong the inevitably predictable end.

    Not that we didn't already know what was going to happen. I mean, it's in the trailer after all. But, even though the story and some of the acting was pretty weak, the movie is fun to watch. The score is fun as well and at times I commented that Aquaman is just Tron under water because of the music and insane amount of phosphorescent lighting.

    I'd say it was more fun than Wonder Woman, but the character development wasn't as fleshed out (and even then it was pretty weak in WW). Apart from the disjointed Black Manta stuff, it seemed better taped together than JL. Not switching directors halfway through helps.

    I think this is another good example of having to go into a comic book movie and remind yourself that it's just that. It's based on comic book characters and a lot of the things in these movies are going to be silly or outrageous when they go from being in colored panel on a page to live action on-screen. At least they kind of explain why this version of Aquaman is basically Poseidon. I also enjoyed their little attempt at the background of Atlantis but they probably could have explored this a little more.

    Overall, while I'm pretty rough on the movie, it was entertaining and people are either going to love it or they won't. I think that's just a thing we'll have to accept with DC films.

    Venom: 6/10

    I find that it's becoming more and more important to go into a movie with zero expectations. I'll have to admit I was wrong about Venom. The trailers made it look extremely cheesy and campy and I thought it would be hilariously terrible.

    Instead it was pleasantly amusing with a fair amount of action and the symbiote animation etc. was better than expected.

    Hardy gets to be his more normal light-hearted self in this one, although canonically Eddie Brock really isn't a light-hearted guy. It's okay, because this movie wasn't trying to be a true origin story or keep to the comics anyway so you have to take that for what it's worth.

    This was another one I enjoyed much more than I thought I would.

    The Predator: 2/10

    All I have to say about The Predator is that I don't think the director and writers knew what the hell they wanted to make here. They tried to keep it in canon with the previous ones by nonchalantly mentioning the previous encounters and having a research team led by a guy who seems to know a lot about them and treats them as a normal thing.

    This movie is a big waste of a decent cast. I think Olivia Munn's personality and previous history with G4 taints her to me, so any time I see her in something, it kind of ruins it. I hated that she was cast in X-Men but...oh well.

    Per normal, Jacob Tremblay puts up the best performance in the movie and for some reason Thomas Jane, Keegan Michael-Key and Theon Greyjoy are in it. I'm not sure how much Alfie is pulling in per movie or appearance, but for as little as they used him, they could've just hired some no-name guy. Oh yeah, and random Jake Busey (I guess any time he's in something it's random) and Chuck's girlfriend.

    I don't know, but...this Predator movie was the worst one yet. At least Predators was cool and took its time to develop a plot.

    Mission Impossible: Fallout: 6/10

    Aside from the second one, I think the Mission Impossible movies are at the very least, pretty entertaining popcorn flicks. They have a light dose of mystery/riddle mixed with some good action sequences and ever since Simon Pegg joined, some pretty decent humor.

    I know Cruise gets made fun of a lot for his extra-screen antics, but the dude is always fun to watch onscreen. Plus... who doesn't want to watch Tom Cruise run?

    In any event, Fallout is a little joyride with more masks (though they have begun to make fun of themselves for this, which is commendable), espionage, sneaking around and a Mission Impossible movie wouldn't be complete without Tom Cruise pulling off some crazy stunt.

    As for Henry Cavill. Dude should have told Paramount where to shove it for the mustache debacle. I think his role could have been a bit better, but he wasn't bad. Just lightly and poorly written, I think.

    If you like the other Mission Impossible movies, I see no reason why you wouldn't like this one.
    Last edited by RealBronco; 12-19-2018 at 03:36 PM.


    DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

  2. #8297
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    15,571
    Aquaman. 7 out of 10.

    Loved it. Much better than Wonder Woman or anything else out of Dc in awhile.

    Some of the CGi was overdone/poorly done. Mainly early on prior to going heavy On the ocean scenes. It went well once they started heavy on Atlantis.

    Also some of the bad guy/ Black Manta costumes were a bit ridiculous. Kind of had a Power Rangers feel to it.

    But aside from that I thought it was a pretty cohesive story from DC and not really any loopholes I can think of. Hopefully they can start building on these types. of stories.

  3. #8298
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    15,571
    Venom- 7.5 out of 10.

    I had super low expectations for this movie and it exceeded them easily. It had much better humor than I expected and Hardy did well with the character.

    The cgi wasnít as awful as i expected and the overall film wasnít as cheesy as the trailers appeared.

    Not sure why there was no mention of spider man existing in this universe. Or even a mention of the avengers assuming this is now in the same universe since the Spider-Man reboot is.

    Outside of that pretty entertaining movie and I give it the extra half point because i enjoyed it more than aquaman which i gave a 7.

  4. #8299
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Aquaman. 7 out of 10.

    Loved it. Much better than Wonder Woman or anything else out of Dc in awhile.

    Some of the CGi was overdone/poorly done. Mainly early on prior to going heavy On the ocean scenes. It went well once they started heavy on Atlantis.

    Also some of the bad guy/ Black Manta costumes were a bit ridiculous. Kind of had a Power Rangers feel to it.

    But aside from that I thought it was a pretty cohesive story from DC and not really any loopholes I can think of. Hopefully they can start building on these types. of stories.
    I actually liked Aquaman, 8/10, thought it was as good as Wonder Woman, and heads and shoulders about the Superman/Batman/ZFlash/ Justice League drudge thats come down the pike. The best since the IMMORTAL Joker enhanced Batman that we all know ruined us all for any DC movies forevermore! Will be seeing a possible overexposure with him now, just like we have with Iron Man, and evn MORE so with the neverending Spider-Man reboots! Whats the count now? #7 coming up and 3 reboots???? Enuff Z Nuff!
    oh YEAH?

  5. #8300
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    E-arth
    Posts
    15,354
    Venom 5/10
    The best way to describe Venom is...you know how with Star Wars they call episode 8 a New Hope copy paste?

    Venom is a Hulk copy paste, but edgey, and a lesser actor.

    Like legit, just like Hulk the movie takes 40 mins to even be worth watching.

    But as I said after 40mins it picks up and becomes a watchable movie. I'd never buy it to own.

    As for its place in the Universe. I recall Sony saying Venom is in his own Universe, separate from the current Spiderman.

    Deadpool 2 8/10
    Awesome movie. Kinda liked the first more, but enjoyed this one a lot.
    Curious where they go from here. Does Deadpool get thrown into the MCU with the Fox deal? By that I mean at least referencing MCU moments and characters. Kinda like how he always mentions x men, but outside that room scene, x men aren't really present.

    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

  6. #8301
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    9,230
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    Venom 5/10
    The best way to describe Venom is...you know how with Star Wars they call episode 8 a New Hope copy paste?

    Venom is a Hulk copy paste, but edgey, and a lesser actor.

    Like legit, just like Hulk the movie takes 40 mins to even be worth watching.

    But as I said after 40mins it picks up and becomes a watchable movie. I'd never buy it to own.

    As for its place in the Universe. I recall Sony saying Venom is in his own Universe, separate from the current Spiderman.

    Deadpool 2 8/10
    Awesome movie. Kinda liked the first more, but enjoyed this one a lot.
    Curious where they go from here. Does Deadpool get thrown into the MCU with the Fox deal? By that I mean at least referencing MCU moments and characters. Kinda like how he always mentions x men, but outside that room scene, x men aren't really present.
    That's a pretty good summation of Venom. I think I enjoyed Venom more than the Norton Hulk though. Purely more entertainment/comedy value than Hulk. Otherwise, I'd say there really wasn't a good reason to make either one of them.

    I would say that Tom Hardy is an incredible actor, which I don't think you disagree with. Norton's only got him by 3 Oscar nominations to 1. Hehe. They've both had roles where they've been superb and I think they have different crafts but both guys draw audiences in that I think normally wouldn't be attracted if they weren't involved. If they hadn't cast Hardy as Brock, I don't think I'd have been the slightest bit interested in Venom and even then, I really wasn't planning on watching it, but the family was bored and we were pleasantly surprised.


    DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

  7. #8302
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,595
    Tom Hardy a lesser actor? Thatís a first.

  8. #8303
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    E-arth
    Posts
    15,354
    Quote Originally Posted by RealBronco View Post
    I would say that Tom Hardy is an incredible actor, which I don't think you disagree with. Norton's only got him by 3 Oscar nominations to 1. Hehe. They've both had roles where they've been superb and I think they have different crafts but both guys draw audiences in that I think normally wouldn't be attracted if they weren't involved. If they hadn't cast Hardy as Brock, I don't think I'd have been the slightest bit interested in Venom and even then, I really wasn't planning on watching it, but the family was bored and we were pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Tom Hardy a lesser actor? Thatís a first.
    I'll say my Tom Hardy exposure is low. I haven't seen a lot of Hardy movies. But the ones I have seen, he and his character were key factors in me not liking a movie.

    Mad Max
    Bane(Dark Knight Rises)
    Tommy Conlon(Warrior)
    Rodders(Sucker Punch)

    Those Dunkirk, and Saving Private Ryan are the only Hardy movies I've seen.

    Only Saving Private Ryan and Dunkirk are movies I enjoyed.

    Not only did those 4 movies suck in my opinion, his roles, he sucked in them.

  9. #8304
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,175
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    I'll say my Tom Hardy exposure is low. I haven't seen a lot of Hardy movies. But the ones I have seen, he and his character were key factors in me not liking a movie.

    Mad Max
    Bane(Dark Knight Rises)
    Tommy Conlon(Warrior)
    Rodders(Sucker Punch)

    Those Dunkirk, and Saving Private Ryan are the only Hardy movies I've seen.

    Only Saving Private Ryan and Dunkirk are movies I enjoyed.

    Not only did those 4 movies suck in my opinion, his roles, he sucked in them.
    Well, I haven't seen Sucker Punch or Warrior, but Mad Max was a good movie (and critically acclaimed) and while the Dark Knight Rises sucked, I don't know that Bane was the problem (though the voice changer annoyed me) I thought Hardy was pretty perfect as Brock/Venom. To each their own I suppose.

    I have my actors that I can't stand despite others really liking them too.


  10. #8305
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,802
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    I'll say my Tom Hardy exposure is low. I haven't seen a lot of Hardy movies. But the ones I have seen, he and his character were key factors in me not liking a movie.

    Mad Max
    Bane(Dark Knight Rises)
    Tommy Conlon(Warrior)
    Rodders(Sucker Punch)

    Those Dunkirk, and Saving Private Ryan are the only Hardy movies I've seen.

    Only Saving Private Ryan and Dunkirk are movies I enjoyed.

    Not only did those 4 movies suck in my opinion, his roles, he sucked in them.
    Watch Lawless.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  11. #8306
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Well, I haven't seen Sucker Punch or Warrior, but Mad Max was a good movie (and critically acclaimed) and while the Dark Knight Rises sucked, I don't know that Bane was the problem (though the voice changer annoyed me) I thought Hardy was pretty perfect as Brock/Venom. To each their own I suppose.

    I have my actors that I can't stand despite others really liking them too.
    Before I watch movies I check to see if Will Smith is in them. If he is, I check to see if Martin Lawrence is also in it.

  12. #8307
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ville of Rose, NorCal
    Posts
    18,255
    I binged Ant-Man and the sequal Ant-Man and the Wasp last night. Both were very enjoyable! I like the humor Paul Rudd brings to the work he's in.

    But.. at the risk of ruining spoilers for me, what was I supposed to watch between the two that got Ant-Man in trouble? Something about destroying an airport with Captain America? Also... explain the extra scene at the end where he's stuck in the void??
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*



  13. #8308
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    15,571
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    I binged Ant-Man and the sequal Ant-Man and the Wasp last night. Both were very enjoyable! I like the humor Paul Rudd brings to the work he's in.

    But.. at the risk of ruining spoilers for me, what was I supposed to watch between the two that got Ant-Man in trouble? Something about destroying an airport with Captain America? Also... explain the extra scene at the end where he's stuck in the void??
    Have you seen Infinity Wars? It's also on Netflix or is later this month.

    You probably should've done it in this order.

    Ant Man, Captain Civil War, Infinity Wars, Ant Man and the Wasp.

    Though I wouldn't really say Civil war has much to do with the Ant Man sequal. But he appeared in that movie.

  14. #8309
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,175
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    I binged Ant-Man and the sequal Ant-Man and the Wasp last night. Both were very enjoyable! I like the humor Paul Rudd brings to the work he's in.

    But.. at the risk of ruining spoilers for me, what was I supposed to watch between the two that got Ant-Man in trouble? Something about destroying an airport with Captain America? Also... explain the extra scene at the end where he's stuck in the void??
    Civil War is what got him in trouble.


  15. #8310
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ville of Rose, NorCal
    Posts
    18,255
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Have you seen Infinity Wars? It's also on Netflix or is later this month.

    You probably should've done it in this order.

    Ant Man, Captain Civil War, Infinity Wars, Ant Man and the Wasp.

    Though I wouldn't really say Civil war has much to do with the Ant Man sequal. But he appeared in that movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Civil War is what got him in trouble.
    Thank you both! I'll fall back and watch that.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •