Page 559 of 560 FirstFirst ... 59 459 509 549 557 558 559 560 LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 8387
    Rocketman - 6.5 out of 10. I was not aware that it was half musical and half biopic. I am not sure they did his music justice, it seemed more like a shock value of his life film.

Stuber - 7 out of 10. Funny movie. Those 2 had good comedic chemistry. And, the funny parts weren't all in the previews. Good summer laugh flick.

The Dead Don't Die- 3 out of 10. Awful film. With a cast as good as it had, I expected much more. It failed at being a parody of zombie movies.

Spiderman Far From Home 8/10

Shazam 6.5/10

Captain Marvel 7/10

Aquaman 7.5/10

Venom 7.5/10

The Captain - 7/10

As far as movies go, it's solid, but I recommend everyone see it, because this actually happened. Not suitable for children or anyone who doesn't like graphic violence. Though the things this guy did and got away with are unfathomable by today's standards, it speaks to how massive WWII was, and how dire the situation for Germany was at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Rocketman - 6.5 out of 10. I was not aware that it was half musical and half biopic. I am not sure they did his music justice, it seemed more like a shock value of his life film.
    According to Elton himself, Taron blew him away with how spot on he was able to sing his music. Not sure if that's accurate, as I've not seen it yet, but I figure that counts for something.

Also, if the film is about a musician, just assume going in there's going to be a lot of singing involved.

I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet, as I stated before but I should. After Bohemian Rhapsody though, it's going to be hard to top that one.
    Last edited by RealBronco; 08-13-2019 at 09:05 AM.

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The Lion King: 6/10

I haven't done one of these in forever. I feel like I'm failing you all.

We saw this about a month ago. Took my son and daughter to see it for my son's birthday.

I have generally enjoyed most of the "live action" remakes that Disney has been putting out. The Lion King has always been my favorite animated film of theirs, so I was looking forward to this one with great anticipation. After how amazing The Jungle Book looked, I figured this one would be on par.

I was right about that at least. The CGI was incredible once again and there were parts where it felt like we were watching Planet Earth instead of a fictional movie. So they get a lot of credit for making it look as real as one can.

For the most part, just like most of their other remakes, this one is basically a shot-for-shot remake, with the exception of a few minor changes. Some are stylized changes (Scar's look etc.) while others were content changes. A lot of Timon and Pumbaa's stuff is a bit different and you can tell Seth and Billy made them their own and they had a fair amount of good, original lines.

As much as I love Chiwetel as an actor, he just doesn't pack the same punch as Irons did in the original. While we're at it, I was disappointed in how much less powerful Jones' portrayal of Mufasa was this time around.

And that leads to the overall disappointment of the film. As great as it looked and as good as the voice acting was, the entire movie felt flat. It lacked the power and emotion of the original. Even though both of my kids were bawling when Mufasa died, I felt detached. It didn't feel the same. I don't think it has anything to do with the "live action" feel or even the actors' performances. But maybe in the way they were directed. Or they tried to emulate the original and didn't put their own emotion into it. I think Jones kind of just phoned it in and decided he'd just repeat all of his lines and be good.

Also, Rafiki had a weird role in this one. I think it worked for the style they were going for but it was weird.

The one thing that really ruined this thing for me was when Simba realizes Naala is right and runs back across the Sahara. In the original, that whole montage of him running back to Pride Rock is powerful. It has a great track from Hans Zimmer that elevates that gravity. In this one they replaced that with a pop song that doesn't really fit the situation and kills the power of that whole sequence. Simba's return is supposed to be a big deal, and they watered it down.

Overall, we enjoyed it. The kids loved it. But as far as the Disney Remakes go, this one isn't one of their best. I think that one still belongs to Beauty and the Beast.

Aladdin: 7/10

We also watched this one the other day. Kids loved it of course. My daughter is really loving these remakes. Aladdin was one that I was super leery about, as I'm sure most of us were.

However, with the exception of some weird CGI here and there (for some reason Abu looked weird in some shots), I think they did a decent job with this one. Will Smith was the one thing everyone was worried about. How do you surpass the great Robin Williams and his performance? Well, you don't. You just go in and do your own thing and hope for the best. This is what Will did. I think it worked well. He turned Genie into his own thing and didn't try to copy what Robin did. He added his own personality to it. Sometimes it felt like watching Fresh Prince again.

The acting other than that was kind of meh. I don't think they cast Jafar very well, but Jasmine was fine. The guy that played the Sultan did a fine job as well. It's not that the dude who played Jafar was bad, but we thought he didn't really fit the role. He wasn't old enough or menacing enough.

Again, this is another case of basically re-shooting the animated versions with actual people this time. For the most part it follows the story the same, has the same musical pieces with the addition of a few new ones and most of the same situations. They don't really deviate a whole lot with these as they know the audience is looking for the same thing.

The Genie animation was pretty great. I thought they could have made the Cave of Wonders a little more awesome looking from the outside. I also thought the way they chose to tell the story (in that, it actually seemed more like a tale from A Thousand and One Arabian Nights, and was told from a certain character's point of view) was pretty clever.

Again, we enjoyed this one. I think the main thing about these is that you're not going to get some great, amazing movie. You get what you expect and if you enjoy the originals, you'll likely enjoy the remakes. The only one's they've chosen to deviate greatly from is the Sleeping Beauty story. They're telling it from the villain's point of view instead, which is an interesting choice.
    Last edited by RealBronco; 08-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealBronco View Post
    According to Elton himself, Taron blew him away with how spot on he was able to sing his music. Not sure if that's accurate, as I've not seen it yet, but I figure that counts for something.

Also, if the film is about a musician, just assume going in there's going to be a lot of singing involved.

I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet, as I stated before but I should. After Bohemian Rhapsody though, it's going to be hard to top that one.
    It wasn't Egerton's performance, he was fabulous. I just didn't feel they gave enough effort in explaining how incredible and prolific Elton and Bernie were at writing the songs. And IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to Bohemian Rhapsody.

I made the mistake of seeing Bohemian Rhapsody after the Star is Born remake, and I wasn't very impressed by comparison. I was never much of a Queen fan though, so not being emotionally involved might've had something to do with it. I guess it won a bunch of awards though, so it must be a good movie. Just didn't do much for me. And that's actually strange for me, because I love docudrama flicks about bands. The only other popular one I wasn't crazy about was Straight Outta Compton, but that was mostly because it was primarily an Ice Cube tribute.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 08-13-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    It wasn't Egerton's performance, he was fabulous. I just didn't feel they gave enough effort in explaining how incredible and prolific Elton and Bernie were at writing the songs. And IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to Bohemian Rhapsody.
    That makes sense. The trailers kind of give off that vibe for sure. I think that's why I haven't really gotten around to seeing it yet. It just looks like it doesn't have the same impact or emotion that Bohemian Rhapsody did. But I'll get around to it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I made the mistake of seeing Bohemian Rhapsody after the Star is Born remake, and I wasn't very impressed by comparison. I was never much of a Queen fan though, so not being emotionally involved might've had something to do with it. I guess it won a bunch of awards though, so it must be a good movie. Just didn't do much for me. And that's actually strange for me, because I love docudrama flicks about bands. The only other popular one I wasn't crazy about was Straight Outta Compton, but that was mostly because it was primarily an Ice Cube tribute.
    Man, Star is Born was fantastic. When I saw the first trailer back when they first revealed it, I tweeted that we were looking at the next Oscar darling and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone got nominated. I was right. And it held up to the trailers. I thought it was great. I mean, it wasn't really an original story, but at least they stuck to at least one of the other remake's story lines. The original was about an actor instead of a singer but oh well. I think Bradley has always done well in dramatic roles and he was no different there. Stephanie really destroyed that role man. She did a fantastic job as well, but I'm not sure that's much of a surprise. She's already used to putting on performances as someone else.

I was upset that Elliott didn't win Supporting Actor though. haha.

I don't know if you necessarily have to be a Queen fan, I was never really that big of a fan, if a fan at all. I mean, I liked their music and all but it didn't go any further than that. That being said though, Rami was to Freddy as Joaquin was to Johnny. He became Freddy. I actually felt there were a lot of similar things happening with Rhapsody as there was in Walk the Line. It reminded me a lot of that movie. Not sure why.

Also, you have to give props to Tim from Jurassic Park for pulling off the 70's fro. Haha.

I think I watched them both around the same time for my Best Picture Binge, but I liked them both so... there's that. It did help that I cranked up the surround sound for the end of Rhapsody. That final sequence at the Live Aid event was fantastic.

Also, weirdly enough, I kind of liked Straight Outta Compton but I'm not into Ice Cube or his music etc. I just thought it was neat seeing all the old rappers and how they got started and the feud between them etc. Plus, Ice Cube's son did a great job playing his dad. But other than that I didn't really think it was as strong of a film as people thought.
    Last edited by RealBronco; 08-13-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: thought of more things to say.

That makes sense. The trailers kind of give off that vibe for sure. I think that's why I haven't really gotten around to seeing it yet. It just looks like it doesn't have the same impact or emotion that Bohemian Rhapsody did. But I'll get around to it eventually.

Man, Star is Born was fantastic. When I saw the first trailer back when they first revealed it, I tweeted that we were looking at the next Oscar darling and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone got nominated. I was right. And it held up to the trailers. I thought it was great. I mean, it wasn't really an original story, but at least they stuck to at least one of the other remake's story lines. The original was about an actor instead of a singer but oh well. I think Bradley has always done well in dramatic roles and he was no different there. Stephanie really destroyed that role man. She did a fantastic job as well, but I'm not sure that's much of a surprise. She's already used to putting on performances as someone else.

I was upset that Elliott didn't win Supporting Actor though. haha.

I don't know if you necessarily have to be a Queen fan, I was never really that big of a fan, if a fan at all. I mean, I liked their music and all but it didn't go any further than that. That being said though, Remi was to Freddy as Joaquin was to Johnny. He became Freddy. I actually felt there were a lot of similar things happening with Rhapsody as there was in Walk the Line. It reminded me a lot of that movie. Not sure why.

Also, you have to give props to Tim from Jurassic Park for pulling off the 70's fro. Haha.

I think I watched them both around the same time for my Best Picture Binge, but I liked them both so... there's that. It did help that I cranked up the surround sound for the end of Rhapsody. That final sequence at the Live Aid event was fantastic.

Also, weirdly enough, I kind of liked Straight Outta Compton but I'm not into Ice Cube or his music etc. I just thought it was neat seeing all the old rappers and how they got started and the feud between them etc. Plus, Ice Cube's son did a great job playing his dad. But other than that I didn't really think it was as strong of a film as people thought.
    Yeah, they should just give Elliott a lifetime achievement award. He's basically the same guy in every movie when you think about it, but he's still awesome at it though. BTW, Maybe It's Time is one of the best movie songs I've ever heard.

I have to agree with you about Rami Malek in Rhapsody. He was pretty good. Now that I think about it, he might've been better than Joaquin Phoenix as Cash. And I'm a Johnny Cash fan, so that's saying something.

Yeah, they should just give Elliott a lifetime achievement award. He's basically the same guy in every movie when you think about it, but he's still awesome at it though. BTW, Maybe It's Time is one of the best movie songs I've ever heard.

I have to agree with you about Rami Malek in Rhapsody. He was pretty good. Now that I think about it, he might've been better than Joaquin Phoenix as Cash. And I'm a Johnny Cash fan, so that's saying something.
    It's crazy that Elliott doesn't have one already. Or an Oscar. But you're right, he's basically just Sam Elliott in every movie, but apparently Sam Elliott is just awesome at all the things. The only reason I watched The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot was because he was in it.

There were a lot of good original songs in A Star is Born. That one and Shallow are awesome. Stephanie's performance on Shallow is incredible. (yes, i call her by her real name, because that's who has the real talent. )

I don't know if Rami would have been able to pull off Cash. I'm not sure he has the right physique. Johnny was a big dude. I'd like to hear him sing some Cash though to see. I think he could have made a good Elvis in that movie though. Plus, when someone hand-picks you to play them (Elton gave Edgerton props and Cash specifically asked Joaquin to play him) it's pretty hard to argue. haha

Anybody else see Joker yet?

Anybody else see Joker yet?
    Not yet, but I never regret seeing Joaquin Phoenix in a role. He has incredible range, and brings so much talent to every show he is in. For me, easily one of the best actors of his generation.

They do say that this version of The Joker is really dark. Maybe not for everyone. But the role itself, as portrayed by Phoenix, might be worth the viewing on its own merit.

Sure a lot of talented folks who have taken on the character. Still miss Heath.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-05-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Not yet, but I never regret seeing Joaquin Phoenix in a role. He has incredible range, and brings so much talent to every show he is in. For me, easily one of the best actors of his generation.

They do say that this version of The Joker is really dark. Maybe not for everyone. But the role itself, as portrayed by Phoenix, might be worth the viewing on its own merit.

Sure a lot of talented folks who have taken on the character. Still miss Heath.
    It's different than Ledger's Joker. It's not the paradigm of what the Joker character is in media. Which is basically what Ledger's Joker was, albeit a really, really good one. The nihilism is there, but Phoenix's portrayal is an origin story that's more psychologically driven. Ledger's Joker was a "super" villain mastermind who saw the futility of society. Phoenix's Joker is more about a fragile outcast getting to that point. It's painfully honest, and I think most of that comes from Phoenix. There's some tragic irony there, and you begin to understand why his humor comes off as crude or just not funny. Like he says, his whole life is basically a bad joke. If you like comics like Norm Macdonald, you should have an appreciation for this movie. Joaquin Phoenix's Joker does not conform, because everything is subjective. This has major moral implications, and gets to the crux of who he is.

I'd probably give it like an 8.5. There were some things I didn't like about it, but they're not the same things as the stuff I've read. Some critics are calling it empty, meaningless, or conceited. It is a tribute to Scorsese in a lot of ways, and a lot of people hate it simply because it's a comic movie that is too similar to Taxi Driver for their taste. I think when people say that the movie has no direction, they're sort of missing the anti-conformity theme there, and getting caught up a little too much in the character's self indulgence. The way they did it wasn't exactly coherent, but I liked it a little more than most of the critics seemed to.

It's different than Ledger's Joker. It's not the paradigm of what the Joker character is in media. Which is basically what Ledger's Joker was, albeit a really, really good one. The nihilism is there, but Phoenix's portrayal is an origin story that's more psychologically driven. Ledger's Joker was a "super" villain mastermind who saw the futility of society. Phoenix's Joker is more about a fragile outcast getting to that point. It's painfully honest, and I think most of that comes from Phoenix. There's some tragic irony there, and you begin to understand why his humor comes off as crude or just not funny. Like he says, his whole life is basically a bad joke. If you like comics like Norm Macdonald, you should have an appreciation for this movie. Joaquin Phoenix's Joker does not conform, because everything is subjective. This has major moral implications, and gets to the crux of who he is.

I'd probably give it like an 8.5. There were some things I didn't like about it, but they're not the same things as the stuff I've read. Some critics are calling it empty, meaningless, or conceited. It is a tribute to Scorsese in a lot of ways, and a lot of people hate it simply because it's a comic movie that is too similar to Taxi Driver for their taste. I think when people say that the movie has no direction, they're sort of missing the anti-conformity theme there, and getting caught up a little too much in the character's self indulgence. The way they did it wasn't exactly coherent, but I liked it a little more than most of the critics seemed to.
    I must see it. And I must also say that you sound every bit the intellect I believe you to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I must see it. And I must also say that you sound every bit the intellect I believe you to be.
    No sir. I just like psychology. Never even got my degree. lol.