Page 60 of 560 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 160 ... LastLast

The Warriors (1979)

This is a great hidden gem of a movie. Sure, it was released in 1979, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The idea of one gang essentially fighting the rest of New York to get back to their home turf was executed brilliantly. The action scenes were great.

What I really loved was all of the gangs. Their different outfits and the different weapons that they use is really something that drew me in.

Give this one a chance. You'll be glad you did. Highly recommended.

9/10

I heard that they're doing a remake that will come out next year. 50 bucks says it won't be as good as the original.

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Apocalypto 8/10.

It's like biting into a blast of visuals.

The story and plot was really iffy but the visuals made up for it imo.

Trilogy of Terror (1975 Karen Black) 10/10

This is the scariest movie I've ever watched. The reason it was so scary: I was 6 when it aired on ABC. I had nightmares for a long, long time and never forgot the movie, which I have watched 20+ times. The 1st 2 parts of the movie are OK, but the 3rd, "Amelia" is easily the highlight. "Amelia" is the story of a Zuni fetish doll, "He Who Kills" , based on the short story "Prey". All 3 parts are based on Richard Matheson short stories. As was the case in The Night Stalker , Matheson teamed with producer Dan Curtis. The DVD includes an audio commentary with Karen Black. Black played the mom in House of 1,000 Corpses.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1965 Hammer Films/ Christopher Lee) 9/10

Sequel to Horror of Dracula, Van Helsing's (Cushing) only scene is a flashback to the end of Horror at the beginning. Andrew Keir played Father Sandor. Though I would have preferred Cushing, Keir did quite well. Easily the best of the sequels despite the fact Lee had no dialogue (he hated his lines in the script and refused to deliver them). Being able to captivate without dialogue is a testimony to how strong Lee's presence was. Hammer paid a lot of attention to detail with great sets and a powerful soundtrack.

Spiderman 3

MeH!

8/10

Cool

Count Dracula (1977 BBC TV/ Louis Jourdan) 9/10

Jourdan was good, not great, as Dracula, but this movie has the distinction of being the only screen version that stayed faithful to the book. I finally found someone with a copy of this after hunting for years and was delighted with the results. Frank Finlay (Van Helsing) and Jack Shepherd (Renfield) had the best performances. Only one character was cut from the book: Quincy Morris and Arthur Holmwood were combined into 1 character, Quincy Holmwood. This was the first film version to show Dracula scaling a wall upside down. It is the only version to show one of my favorite moments from the book: Jonathan Harker discovers Dracula in his coffin, then smashes him in the face with a shovel. Unable to move in the daytime, Dracula simply looks at him with a slight smile. If I remember correctly, the book had the scar from the shovel wound heal before Harker's eyes, but this wasn't a big budget production, and I'm thrilled the scene was included.

2.5 hours long, but it didn't drag. Great job of getting as much as possible from the book into the movie.

It will finally be released on DVD this September, first in the UK, then in the US.

Lust for a Vampire (1970 Hammer Films/ Michael Johnson/ Yutte Stensgaard) 8/10

Loosely based on the story Carmilla, this is a solid film, especially considering the fact Peter Cushing had to back out due to his wife's illness. Stensgaard certainly wasn't hard to watch , nor were the other actresses... as beautiful of a cast as Hammer ever assembled.

Stensgaard:

http://www.imghut.net/images/61391.jpg

The Awakening (1980 Charlton Heston) 6.5/10

Another one I had to wait years and years to find. I never forgot the radio commercials. I wanted to see it in the theater, but there was no way my Dad (who hates horror movies)would take me to see it, especially since it is rated R (not sure why...should be PG 13). Cool flick, but nothing special.... glad I finally got to see it, though.
    Last edited by keithbishop; 05-28-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Cool

Draw! (1984 Kirk Douglas/James Coburn) 10/10

Not the perfect western to some, I suppose, but a sentimental favorite of mine. Douglas and Coburn are magnificent together and I love the ending.

It was fun to watch again after not having seen it in over 20 years.

Syriana

George Clooney
    Matt Damon

...nuff said 8/10.

The Departed...8/10
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Denver Bronco/[COLOR=DarkGreen]Hawaii Warrior[/COLOR] fan for life...[/COLOR][/B]
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/integrarunnur2/Champ_Bailey_01.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Brides of Dracula (1960 Hammer Films/Peter Cushing) 8.5/10

Well.... this isn't a Dracula movie, so the title should have been different, but Cushing steals the show. Hammer's follow up to "Horror of Dracula" though Baron Meinster, not Dracula, is the vampire.

<- Ready for the salute
    Apocalypto 9.4/10

Across the board this movie is GREAT.

Mel Gibson is awsome.

It is not as grusome as people make it out to be. He could have made it ALOT more detailed how the Mayan's were with some of the bodys and kids from other tribes.

Great piece of work and would recomend any that has not seen this movie to rent this but just don't have your kids in the room.

Only down fall on this movie and why it does not get a ten... is direction and sotry line of movie and they had time periods in movie off at time with 9th century, 11th century and 16th century.
    Last edited by Nick; 06-01-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Stanger Than Fiction

Will Ferrell was adequate, but the rest of that cast seemed pretty lifeless. Dustin Hoffmann seemed to have a "I really hope this doesn't diminish my previous work" look on his face during the whole movie. I really like Queen Latifah as an actress, but the part that she had in this movie really wasn't important to the overall story and it disappoints me when as talented actor (or in this case actress) is given a part with not a lot of meat in it.

I literally fell asleep the first time I watched it and had to fight off the Sandman to get through the second viewing without falling asleep.

Pretty average. Pretty forgetable.

5/10

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Shawn of The Dead

8.5/10

It was very funny and it kept my attention the whole time.

If you like gore and comedy then this is the movie for you!