Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wait .. Collins is gonna get on the radio and answer everything. Will let you all know what he says.

He's not fired!!!

They renewed their contracts
    They merely held a conferance together on what could be done to help the team better. Some media person got the tape from what was mentioned and Savage was not fired and will NOT be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrhampton
    Greasy was not the QB of record, he was on duty for the first part of the season.

I know how much Y'all want to make him a great QB but PLEASE!

Just for your record this is the year he went to the PROBOWL
    http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

For those that will not take my word - here is the team's response:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_...ts/5017.0.html

Browns respond to Savage rumors
    December 30, 2005

In response to rumors that were widely circulated today, the Cleveland Browns wish to reiterate that Phil Savage is and will continue to be our senior vice president and general manager.

“Although it is our policy not to respond to rumors, in fairness to our fans, we felt it necessary to dispel them,” Browns president and chief executive officer John Collins said. “It was unfortunate and very unfair to the organization and especially to our fans, but we are happy to put this behind us and focus on our game this Sunday and the busy offseason ahead.

“Together, we are going to continue to do whatever is necessary to reestablish the Browns as one of the premiere franchises in all of sports.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!!
    actually four times. We went with Griese as well.

But I have to agree. Elway has nothing to do with this statement or article. But apparently, there is talk about Savage getting fired.

I HOPE Denver takes a look at this and thinks about hiring him.
    If what that article says is true Mr. Bowlen and company need to do whatever it takes to get him here.

Even more proof that it is false...

Savage still running Browns
    By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
    December 30, 2005

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Browns president John Collins denied Friday that the club was planning to fire general manager Phil Savage, who was hired less than a year ago to help fix Cleveland's floundering franchise.

"Phil's not going anywhere," Collins said. "He hasn't been fired, and he's not going to be fired. There is no reduction of responsibility. There is no rift."

ESPN.com reported Friday that Savage, Baltimore's former personnel director who was hired on Jan. 6 to stabilize a fractured front office in Cleveland, was on the verge of being fired over "philosophical differences."

However, Collins said he and owner Randy Lerner are pleased with Savage's performance in his first season and have no intention of letting him go. With rumors running rampant about a shakeup two days before Cleveland's season finale against Baltimore, Collins met with Savage, Lerner and coach Romeo Crennel.

"We sat down and we basically renewed our vows," Collins said. "I'm not really sure where this got started."

Asked if Savage is going to resign, Collins said, "I don't think so. Phil is raw about what happened, and understandably so."

Savage, who had been planning to scout bowl games this weekend, could not be reached in his office or at his suburban home.

Collins, who joined the Browns in 2004, said the Browns' front office is about to undergo some changes, with financial vice president Doug Jacobs and chief operating officer Lew Merletti taking on new roles.

Collins said Mike Keenan, the NFL management council's finance director, will join the Browns to replace Jacobs and there have been ongoing discussions about bringing in others to upgrade Cleveland's management team.

Savage and Crennel are the most recent additions to a front office that hasn't worked together for a year. Collins said the group is still finding its way together, and that there are bound to be problems.

"We've felt our way through this season," Collins said. "Has there been moments when we could have made better decisions? Have there been times when the communication could have been better? Yeah. But we're getting better."

Collins said he and Savage "have a mutual respect and hopefully we can have some fun together."

Considered one of the NFL's top talent evaluators for his success in nine years drafting players for the Ravens, the 40-year-old Savage was brought to Cleveland to rebuild the Browns' roster, and he has spent most of this season on the road scouting college players.

Savage's strength is his ability to find quality players, and in his first draft with the Browns, he selected wide receiver Braylon Edwards (No. 3 overall) in the first round and quarterback Charlie Frye in the third.

Edwards, who sat out part of training camp in a contract holdout, tore a knee ligament in a Dec. 4 game against Jacksonville, ending his rookie season. Frye will make his fifth start on Sunday when the Browns (5-10) host the Ravens.

The rest of Cleveland's first draft class under Savage has gotten little playing time for Crennel.

Savage's arrival was heralded as a positive step for the Browns, who are just 35-77 since they returned to the NFL in 1999 as an expansion team. The club's progress has been undermined by poor draft picks, injuries and instability.

While speculation swirled about his future in Cleveland, Savage finalized a four-year contract extension Friday for cornerback Leigh Bodden, a three-year veteran who has played well filling in for the injured Gary Baxter.

In 10 starts this season, Bodden has 55 tackles, three interceptions and forced two fumbles.

Updated on Friday, Dec 30, 2005 7:51 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan
    Well,

looks like Savage refused to rework his contract and allow extra help. So he is gone.

You have no clue how bad this is.

Lemme put it in sense related to the Broncos .. this would be like the Broncos firing Shanahan and hiring Norv Turner as his replacement
    I Guess the mediocrity in the Brown organization is assured for years to come.......

Seems like being a Brown fan is tough these days, but at least you have LeBron to be hopeful about.

Mortensen refuses to recant story ...

Browns president: Savage staying as GM

NFL.com wire reports

CLEVELAND (Dec. 30, 2005) -- Browns president John Collins denied that the club was planning to fire general manager Phil Savage, who was hired less than a year ago to help fix Cleveland's floundering franchise.

"Phil's not going anywhere," Collins said. "He hasn't been fired, and he's not going to be fired. There is no reduction of responsibility. There is no rift."

ESPN.com reported Dec. 30 that Savage, Baltimore's former personnel director who was hired on Jan. 6 to stabilize a fractured front office in Cleveland, was on the verge of being fired over "philosophical differences."

However, Collins said he and owner Randy Lerner are pleased with Savage's performance in his first season and have no intention of letting him go. With rumors running rampant about a shakeup two days before Cleveland's season finale against Baltimore, Collins met with Savage, Lerner and coach Romeo Crennel.

"We sat down and we basically renewed our vows," Collins said. "I'm not really sure where this got started."

Asked if Savage is going to resign, Collins said, "I don't think so. Phil is raw about what happened, and understandably so."

Savage, who had been planning to scout bowl games this weekend, could not be reached in his office or at his suburban home.

Collins, who joined the Browns in 2004, said the Browns' front office is about to undergo some changes, with financial vice president Doug Jacobs and chief operating officer Lew Merletti taking on new roles.

Collins said Mike Keenan, the NFL management council's finance director, will join the Browns to replace Jacobs and there have been ongoing discussions about bringing in others to upgrade Cleveland's management team.

Savage and Crennel are the most recent additions to a front office that hasn't worked together for a year. Collins said the group is still finding its way together, and that there are bound to be problems.

"We've felt our way through this season," Collins said. "Has there been moments when we could have made better decisions? Have there been times when the communication could have been better? Yeah. But we're getting better."

Collins said he and Savage "have a mutual respect and hopefully we can have some fun together."

Considered one of the NFL's top talent evaluators for his success in nine years drafting players for the Ravens, the 40-year-old Savage was brought to Cleveland to rebuild the Browns' roster, and he has spent most of this season on the road scouting college players.

Savage's strength is his ability to find quality players, and in his first draft with the Browns, he selected wide receiver Braylon Edwards (No. 3 overall) in the first round and quarterback Charlie Frye in the third.

Edwards, who sat out part of training camp in a contract holdout, tore a knee ligament in a Dec. 4 game against Jacksonville, ending his rookie season. Frye will make his fifth start on Sunday when the Browns (5-10) host the Ravens.

The rest of Cleveland's first draft class under Savage has gotten little playing time for Crennel.

Savage's arrival was heralded as a positive step for the Browns, who are just 35-77 since they returned to the NFL in 1999 as an expansion team. The club's progress has been undermined by poor draft picks, injuries and instability.

While speculation swirled about his future in Cleveland, Savage finalized a four-year contract extension Dec. 30 for cornerback Leigh Bodden, a three-year veteran who has played well filling in for the injured Gary Baxter.

In 10 starts this season, Bodden has 55 tackles, three interceptions and forced two fumbles.

from http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/9125289

But still on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275447

Collins has denied that the team plans to fire Savage -- including through a statement on the team's website that said Savage "is and will continue to be our senior vice president and general manager" -- but Mortensen has confirmed the team's plan with several sources.

Who cares?

Why is this thread here?

Other than one Browns fan, who cares?

I thought this was the Broncos message area...

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2...otos196ny8.jpg
    Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
    ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_Davii
    Who cares?

Why is this thread here?

LMAO.

He is arguing with himself....................

It is insane.

ROFL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_Davii
    Who cares?

Why is this thread here?

I didn't create this thread.

Don't look at me.

Long ago I posted in feedback asking the moderators to delete this since it is a false report. But no answer as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbythug
    Just for your record this is the year he went to the PROBOWL

He did not play a complete season and had good stats in those games. I think had he completed the season his numbers would have decreased.

Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan
    That will never happen. Savage will not get fired. Furthermore what the F does Elway have to do with it? Maybe someone should mention where the Broncos have been sine Elway retired?
    been to three playoffs with out elway.. is clevland still trying to get hte first pick year in and year out?