Elways rookie card

Question does anyone know how much elways rookie card is worth now

Currently $80

Thanks good to know

I bought a mint Elway rookie card off ebay a few months ago for about $43. Nice addition to the hundreds of Broncos cards I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncofans
    I bought a mint Elway rookie card off ebay a few months ago for about $43. Nice addition to the hundreds of Broncos cards I have.
    Graded by who? That's a great price!! A PSA Mint books for $200, and a BGS lists for $250! Arrows going down though.

I pulled mine right out of a pack back then.

I've only recently started collecting football cards - have several auto'd & gameworn jersey cards, about 20 in all picked up over the past year, and I have little knowledge as to worth/value/what to look for.

I bought an Elway rookie card (Ebay of course!) for about $20. It's not graded (I've seen mention of PSA for some auctions) & simply came in a toploader. Corners are very slightly bumped but it looks in good condition to my unlearned eye. I'm guessing the fact that it is not graded brings down this cards value? There seems to be a big variance in price/value & I'm not sure why.

I'm not so much asking because I want to speculate financially, or indeed become a 'serious' collector just because I'm a bit foggy about cards in general & Elway's rookie card in particular!

Thanks for any info/help!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkOrange] [SIZE=2]"We've got these guys right where we want em..."[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee
    I've only recently started collecting football cards - have several auto'd & gameworn jersey cards, about 20 in all picked up over the past year, and I have little knowledge as to worth/value/what to look for.

I bought an Elway rookie card (Ebay of course!) for about $20. It's not graded (I've seen mention of PSA for some auctions) & simply came in a toploader. Corners are very slightly bumped but it looks in good condition to my unlearned eye. I'm guessing the fact that it is not graded brings down this cards value? There seems to be a big variance in price/value & I'm not sure why.

I'm not so much asking because I want to speculate financially, or indeed become a 'serious' collector just because I'm a bit foggy about cards in general & Elway's rookie card in particular!

Thanks for any info/help!
    Well, the way to gain knowledge is to read.

Beckett Football Card monthy to be specific, and Tuff Stuff magazine also. While Tuff Stuff covers all sports, and even non-sports card, Beckett produces issues specific to various sports, and provides information specific to those cards. I hignly suggest you get a copy every now and then if you want to keep up with the hobby.

As for Elways card, the 84 Topps RC, card #63, it lists for $30 to $80. It carries the ! symbol next to the listing, meaning that the value is condition sensitive.

Being ungraded doesnt really hurt it's value per say, depending on the condition. With slightly rounded corners, yours is not going to bring $80, but depending on other factors, it could, if graded. There are many other areas the graders look at. However, that's a big one, and it's gonna hurt it's grade.

PSA is a long time company that grades cards and other things, like coins. BGS is an arm of the aforementioned Beckett - Beckett Grading Services. They are considered the standard in the grading indusrty these days, as the give a grade for four different areas right on the slab. Centering, Corners, Edges, and Surface.

Usually, un ungraded card in good condition to the naked eye carries the same value as a BGS MnMt, which comes in at an 8 from them. The same card might bring a 9 from PSA though. It can be complicated. There is a huge listing in the back of every Beckett football monthly for graded cards, and the Elway rookie can go for up to $1800.00 in perfect condition from BGS.

Also, just as an FYI, this card, like other high dollar cards of it's era (Marino 84 Topps RC, Aikman & B. Sanders 89 Score) have been counterfeitted a bit. Most likely ours is not though. One with rounded corners for 20 bucks isnt that bad. I steal cards on e-bay for far less than book value all the time.

I really suggest picking up a copy of Beckett if you want to be a smart collector. I have subscribed for ten years now!

My Elway RC isnt so good either. I pulled it out of a pack 20 years ago, but wasnt a smart collector at all back then. Of course, back then it didnt have the potential to be such a dollar card. Now I understand ANY card has that potention really. Any base card that is.

I knopw, lots of terms. Slab, base card, etc. Get a copy of Beckett! Just one will teach you all this stuff!

It's a great hobby! But not really for kids anymore.

Thanks for your most helpful & illuminating reply, JWinn! I somehow knew you'd be top dollar!

Fascinating stuff....I will go look up about this Beckett's mag - I've heard of it before but must admit I kind of shuffled it into the sidings to get dusty.

I wonder, can you send a card to be graded, or do you do it yourself using Beckett's guidelines?

By the way, I'm thinking of getting the 84 team set, without Elway, so then it'll be complete....not worth much, but complete! LOL

Apart from two Elway autos (no COA, so who knows?) I'm most proud of my signed Three Amigos Topps trio, and two Fleer Autographics of Rod Smith & Eddie Mac , oh, and my Floyd Little auto.......eek! The list goes on! Am I addicted?!

Thanks again - I'm Beckett bound!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkOrange] [SIZE=2]"We've got these guys right where we want em..."[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee
    Thanks for your most helpful & illuminating reply, JWinn! I somehow knew you'd be top dollar!

Fascinating stuff....I will go look up about this Beckett's mag - I've heard of it before but must admit I kind of shuffled it into the sidings to get dusty.

I wonder, can you send a card to be graded, or do you do it yourself using Beckett's guidelines?

By the way, I'm thinking of getting the 84 team set, without Elway, so then it'll be complete....not worth much, but complete! LOL

Apart from two Elway autos (no COA, so who knows?) I'm most proud of my signed Three Amigos Topps trio, and two Fleer Autographics of Rod Smith & Eddie Mac , oh, and my Floyd Little auto.......eek! The list goes on! Am I addicted?!

Thanks again - I'm Beckett bound!
    Oh addicted is the right word allright. lol

Many times I have opened an expensive box only to find crap, and thought "I've had it, no more. I wont waste my money on this hobby anymore!" Yet, I syill do it. Heck, I even took a leap and bought a CASE of cards this last month!

You send in the cards to be graded. You should find information about that in any Beckett from the last few years. Grading is somewhat a risk though, in my opinion. The big benefit is that once graded and slabbed, (put into a sealed holder) the condition will never deteriorate. I suppose direct sunlight could futher harm a card, but if stored properly, it's condition should never decrease.

BY a risk, I mean, if you spend the money to grade, and a card comes back an 8 or lower, you've spent extra cash to have a card worth no more really than ungraded value, which can be dissapointing. However, if it grades high, well then, cha ching if you ever plan to sell or trade in the future, lol.

When I sent in cards for grading a few years ago, I used a microscope that hooked up to the computer to examine cards I wanted to have graded. I didnt do to well though, lol. I am not sure what they look for exactly. I thought some of mine would grade higher than they came back.

I stopped grading, even though I have pulled some very good, high potential cards, (Brady's Rookie Contenders, Big Ben's, etc.)

I am happy to just own the cards, and prefer to spend the money on new cards, lol. Heck, even when I go into a card shop specifically to buy supplies, sleeves, sheets, boxes, I always end up buying more cards and less supplies than I had intended.

Some however live by grading. It's a choice like anything else. You'll see in Becketts lots of information leading you to decide what you wanna do.

Sounds like a nice collection already. I'd love a Little auto card.