Page 9423 of 9488 FirstFirst ... 8423 8923 9323 9373 9413 9421 9422 9423 9424 9425 9433 9473 ... LastLast
Results 141,331 to 141,345 of 142308
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post

I am guilty of all infractions!
    Mention cake and looks who shows up.

Jaws, if I eat the peanut and chocolate tier, does that make me a cannibal? What does that do to my vegetarianism?

On another note... Peanut made sure we're okay out here with all of the fires. I'm about an hour from the lost City of Paradise, but okay. We get bad smoke days that push the air quality to levels that are the worst on the planet right now. The morning starts out okay, but then it starts to drop from the sky and we get what is best described as a murky dusk like feeling. Almost like fog coming in, but hazardous smoke that is not safe to breath. I've had a few moments when I feel it in my chest like a congestion and even low pressure headaches from the smoke. Air masks are sold out all over the area. We are really hoping the rain in the forcast for Thursday and Friday comes in to help with the fires and clean the air out a little.

To see the pictures of Paradise wiped off the map is scary. Seriously.. GONE!! I know a few people personally who lost everything! One of my old techs posted a side by side of the day he and his GF moved into their house and how it is now. It's just a chimney with a Silverado shell in the driveway... the entire house is GONE! And the reports of over 600 people still missing as rescue crews are sifting for bone remnants to find them. The animal shelters are overflowing with rescued pets and there are constant posts and cries for assistance. The local churches and schools have opened their facilities to assist. Local food trucks have gone to the area and served countless meals for free. There are countless places posting "Camp Fire Donations Here!" signs and collecting. It's just so sad and devestating.

A local feel good was the Paradise girl's volleyball team showed up in Lincoln for a scheduled game, but had no equipment, gear, or anything. They showed up with desire to play and that's it. Well, Lincoln had arranged for each girl to have a full new uniform with pads and shoes, a $300 card to each for any other gear they'd need, and a $16,000 donation to the school to assist with anything they need.

It breaks my heart to see the devastation and to hear the cries for help. But it's very reassuring to see the area banding together to help. Many families are opening their homes to victims. The entire area will be stronger because of this.

I can't speak for SoCal, though. They have their own problems with their fires too. But... Cali Strong! Butte Strong!! The people here will rebuild together.
    Thanks for posting about this, eb. I knew you were okay through a mutual friend.

It's heart-breaking to see the images and stories coming out. So sad.

And it makes me cry to see how everyone is helping each other.

I hope the rains come on Thursday and Friday. I hope it's a gentle rain that lasts. Anything else will lead to floods and mudslides. Unfortunately, that's the cycle.

Be safe!
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Peanut the cannibal

Eb, glad you're safe but can't imagine how sad it is to be close to such destruction and know those who have personally experienced such devastation. And it must be horrible that smoky air

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Here's before....

After...

*2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Here's before....

After...

Heartbreaking.
    What's the weather like at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Heartbreaking.
    What's the weather like at the moment?
    Right now it's crisp mid-30s. Very little breeze, but clear-ish skies. The mornings start okay, but the afternoons is when the smoke comes down. It's starting to clear up and get better. Seeing less face masks.

Right now it's crisp mid-30s. Very little breeze, but clear-ish skies. The mornings start okay, but the afternoons is when the smoke comes down. It's starting to clear up and get better. Seeing less face masks.
    Glad to hear things might be improving. I have an Aunt who lives up north/ish. All is well with her. My heart breaks for the birds and animals also.

Down to three degrees centigrade here today and no sunshine, brrr - not the best conditions for pain management.
    However, I've had three consecutive fantastic night's of sleep and found out we get the Broncos game on TV Sunday

How are plans for Thanksgiving going cafe peeps?

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

I do not know all the specifics, but there's rain in California. Is it going to be a good boost to the recovery? Hope so. But I heard earlier that rain could hinder the ability to trace for some of the folks who are lost.

Even though it must be a real source of good news (the rain), hopefully it does little to restrict the search.
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-21-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I do not know all the specifics, but there's rain in California. Is it going to be a good boost to the recovery? Hope so. But I heard earlier that rain could hinder the ability to trace for some of the folks who are lost.

Even though it must be a real source of good news (the rain), hopefully it does little to restrict the search.
    We are getting some light drizzle now for the last few hours. It will help. But, like you said, it will slow down the searches. And the other fear is flash flooding and/or mudslides, which could add to the chaos.

We are getting some light drizzle now for the last few hours. It will help. But, like you said, it will slow down the searches. And the other fear is flash flooding and/or mudslides, which could add to the chaos.
    As I mentioned earlier, that's my concern. You need the rain, but in small portions over an extended time. Hope it continues to be a light drizzle.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, that's my concern. You need the rain, but in small portions over an extended time. Hope it continues to be a light drizzle.
    On the news the other night they were saying there might be a weather warning issued. So far no warnings except snow above 7k feet that I've heard.

Eb hope you guys are safe and that you have a wonderful thanksgiving! Sending good vibes and well wishes as well as a call to mother nature for some prolonged drizzle in that area!

I hope you all are having a great thanksgiving! Jaws i hope your recovery is going well! Peanut, hope the board is staying tame for you!

I havent been able to post much. We got several orders for firewood so have been in the backcountry sawin logs....and i dont mean napping but that sounds great lol. Seems most people shop for firewood like i shop for christmas presents
    Glen Haven Fire

I'll take some large logs please Armedequation. We lit the woodburner for the first time on Tuesday. I carried many wheelbarrow fulls from the shed to the garage way back in August. It was a good way of getting my mind off the upcoming ear surgery. Now, all I need is my brother to remember to carry a load of the large ones to the basket in the sitting room. Right now a sandwich or a Mug of Coffee is my maximum load!

On the news the other night they were saying there might be a weather warning issued. So far no warnings except snow above 7k feet that I've heard.
    Hope the air clears with the rain - it should. Hopefully it won't be so much to interfere with all the work that needs be done and won't cause mudslides.

Eb, I hope the weather works for you rather than against.

Jaws, glad you are getting some rest. Hope you are feeling better. I love a log fire. Hope you get to enjoy a nice warm Thanksgiving by yours.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien