Page 9383 of 9397 FirstFirst ... 8383 8883 9283 9333 9373 9381 9382 9383 9384 9385 9393 ... LastLast
Results 140,731 to 140,745 of 140951
    Howdy everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Tired, and ready to go home.

You?
    Quote Originally Posted by biglenny View Post
    Howdy everybody!
    See what happens when regular season is close? Even saw TDK on today.

Hi, LT!

Hi, Lenny!
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Stupid DNS.......
    Thanks, Reid!

Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Server or did someone label you dns (do not serve)
    Glen Haven Fire

Propogation of change of an FQDN was my particular gripe at the time.

What really bugged me about it was that if I used an online nslookup tool and told it to use 8.8.8.8 as the ns, it came back with the correct/new ip. If I used 8.8.8.8 locally from my computer or my router, it still had the old IP. I had to update to use Open DNS as my primary to get a few of my tools online and working before the weekend.

Oh well. New week!
    Thanks, Reid!

Propogation of change of an FQDN was my particular gripe at the time.

What really bugged me about it was that if I used an online nslookup tool and told it to use 8.8.8.8 as the ns, it came back with the correct/new ip. If I used 8.8.8.8 locally from my computer or my router, it still had the old IP. I had to update to use Open DNS as my primary to get a few of my tools online and working before the weekend.

Oh well. New week!
    DNS propagation, my fav!

I usually prime my DNS records well before any upcoming changes by changing the TTL to a low value (like 3600s). That way changes happen very quickly. When you're done with your DNS changes you can reset the TTL to it's original value. Of course, that's when you have the luxury of planning and sometimes you don't and then it just stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    DNS propagation, my fav!

I usually prime my DNS records well before any upcoming changes by changing the TTL to a low value (like 3600s). That way changes happen very quickly. When you're done with your DNS changes you can reset the TTL to it's original value. Of course, that's when you have the luxury of planning and sometimes you don't and then it just stinks.
    Well, I had a few weeks, but I'm not sure I could have really helped myself too much. Networking stuff is really not my wheelhouse. Of course, that's the downside to being jack of all trades.... What really surprised me is that 8.8.8.8 was returning different values depending on where I asked.

In the end, it worked out, and hopefully I don't have to worry about this particular issue for a few years. *knock on wood*.
    Thanks, Reid!

Well, I had a few weeks, but I'm not sure I could have really helped myself too much. Networking stuff is really not my wheelhouse. Of course, that's the downside to being jack of all trades.... What really surprised me is that 8.8.8.8 was returning different values depending on where I asked.

In the end, it worked out, and hopefully I don't have to worry about this particular issue for a few years. *knock on wood*.
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how Google manages their DNS servers. On the surface it sounds like they might be clustered or load-balanced or something similar that would cause different results from querying the same address. Though you'd expect parity to be better DNS can be frustrating for sure.

Glad it all worked out in the end

Edit: never mind, they are in a routed environment. Per Wikipedia, "The addresses are mapped to the nearest operational server by anycast routing."

That at least explains the different results.
    Last edited by Rastic; 09-05-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how Google manages their DNS servers. On the surface it sounds like they might be clustered or load-balanced or something similar that would cause different results from querying the same address. Though you'd expect parity to be better DNS can be frustrating for sure.

Glad it all worked out in the end

Edit: never mind, they are in a routed environment. Per Wikipedia, "The addresses are mapped to the nearest operational server by anycast routing."

That at least explains the different results.
    I figured it was probably something like that. Oh well.

How are you?
    Thanks, Reid!

What's DNS - is it like Do Not Serve?
    If it is, not good, especially in a cafe.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    In this conversation, it was Domain Name Server. It's how computers/modems/etc. look up where to reach websites (to put it simply). Rastic could probably explain it better than I could. To get to the forum, 'forums.denverbroncos.com' has to be translated to an IP address so the request goes to the right server. Domain Name Servers keep track of where those names should point.

DNS also does mean Do not serve though, and that is very bad in the Cafe.
    Thanks, Reid!

I figured it was probably something like that. Oh well.

How are you?
    Doing great! Staying busy and out of trouble. Football starts in days :

In this conversation, it was Domain Name Server. It's how computers/modems/etc. look up where to reach websites (to put it simply). Rastic could probably explain it better than I could. To get to the forum, 'forums.denverbroncos.com' has to be translated to an IP address so the request goes to the right server. Domain Name Servers keep track of where those names should point.

DNS could mean a lot of things. My favorites are Deviated Nasal Septum or Drunk 'N Stupid.

Both would be bad in a cafe.

In this case, just as LT said, it means Domain Name Servers. Think of it like DNS is to internet addresses as the phone book (remember those?) is phone numbers. Each routes something to an address: DNS is a network phone book that translates forums.denverbroncos.com in to it's server address the same as looking up John Q. Public in the phone book can tell me his phone number.

Thanks for the explanation
    Now I'd like an Irish : coffee: just to make sure there are no serving bans here

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Thanks for the explanation
    Now I'd like an Irish : coffee: just to make sure there are no serving bans here
    OMG, that just reminded me of a story. When I was younger I was out with friends at a pretty snazzy restaurant. After dinner I decided to get some coffee. Irish coffee! Yum! Baileys!

That's the day I met Mr. Jameson. It was like someone punched me in the throat and I didn't even have the pleasure of seeing it coming.

Coffee is good. Jameson is good. The two should never get together and just stay friends.