Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Merrill Hoge: Objective Analyst

I'm thoroughly convinced that Merrill Hoge is being paid by ESPN to be as bias as possible to make fans irate and draw in viewership. Heres a summary of what he did on the ea sports show on espn.
    Steelers Offense vs Brocnos Defense: Blah Blah Bus Blah: Advanatage Steelers
    Broncos Offense vs Steelers Defense: Blah Blah I ignore denvers run game and give jake plummer no cred blah blah: Advanatage Steelers
    Broncos Special Teams vs Steelers Special Teams: Blah Blah we have antwaan randle el and the Broncos have scrubs. I don't care about the excellent punter and kicker the Broncos have either blah blah blah.
    Cowher vs Shanny: Blah Blah I don't care about regular season record, afc championship record or superbowl titles. Blah Blah its obviously Cowher.

Then he sums it up by saying "when you put all these 'facts' together you will say there is no way to pick against the Steelers." At least Schlereth, Sharpe and Jackson can acknowledge when an opponent has a strength over the Broncos. I for one think its pretty much a wash between these teams on offense and defense but Hoge makes it sound like that the Steelers are head and shoulders above the Broncos in every possible category. He has to be getting paid off to make these insane comments.
    [IMG]http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~kwiest/halotingata/images/header.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by SACOTFW
    I'm thoroughly convinced that Merrill Hoge is being paid by ESPN to be as bias as possible to make fans irate and draw in viewership. Heres a summary of what he did on the ea sports show on espn.
    Broncos Offense vs Steelers Defense: Blah Blah I ignore denvers run game and give jake plummer no cred blah blah: Advanatage Steelers
    Broncos Special Teams vs Steelers Special Teams: Blah Blah we have antwaan randle el and the Broncos have scrubs. I don't care about the excellent punter and kicker the Broncos have either blah blah blah.
    Cowher vs Shanny: Blah Blah I don't care about regular season record, afc championship record or superbowl titles. Blah Blah its obviously Cowher.

Then he sums it up by saying "when you put all these 'facts' together you will say there is no way to pick against the Steelers." At least Schlereth, Sharpe and Jackson can acknowledge when an opponent has a strength over the Broncos. I for one think its pretty much a wash between these teams on offense and defense but Hoge makes it sound like that the Steelers are head and shoulders above the Broncos in every possible category. He has to be getting paid off to make these comments.

He's a former Steeler and clear homer.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Hes quite a Richard Cranium always has been

When I see him on TV I often mistake him for Salisbury... oh well one in the same...

Lightbulb

he's a great analyst- until it comes to the Steelers, then his loyalties overshadow his non-bias.

can't blame a guy for loving the city that made him the richest white RB ever!!
    [B][COLOR=Yellow]STEELERS: 31[/COLOR][/B]
    broncos: 24

here's to a great game:

''We certainly aren't going to let history dictate our journey,but our journey can make history.'' -Cowher

I can't stand Hoge when he's talking about other games either.

He's completely unreasonable and has tunnel vision. I would rather be locked in a room to listen to Sean Salisbury for a day than to listen to an hour long show featuring Hoge.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jletourneau
    I can't stand Hoge when he's talking about other games either.

He's completely unreasonable and has tunnel vision. I would rather be locked in a room to listen to Sean Salisbury for a day than to listen to an hour long show featuring Hoge.
    really? i think he breaks down games pretty well-- not as good as Jaws, but good none-the-less

here's to a great game:

''We certainly aren't going to let history dictate our journey,but our journey can make history.'' -Cowher

On matchup he brought out a "Steelers humble pie" as he was cheering them on and Jaws was waiving the terrible towel.

When we win are they going to look more stupider than ever.
    The Game Day Thread: Year 15 Now in progress.

27 Hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's to a great game:

Quote Originally Posted by psychoWard
    really? i think he breaks down games pretty well-- not as good as Jaws, but good none-the-less
    I don't think he's bad at breaking games down, but when he gets opinions in there, ugh, I can't stand it no matter what team he's talking about.

Before he analyzed the Broncos v. Steelers for the first time at the beginning of the week, he started with a statement of, "I have spent a lot of time breaking down the Broncos v. Patriots game tape and what took place, and this is what I have determined from it as why the Borncos won't win." (paraphrased of course.)

Then, in his reasoning he went on to give his reasons and NOT ONE was even taken from the gametape, NOT ONE. Anyway he sounded ridiculous and really contradicted himself, but this is just one example.

I have no problem with Hoge homering it up a little for the Steelers, he should, as should Sharpe and Davis and Schlereth for the Broncos, but he still needs to have a slightly non-yellow perspective when doing so.

Again, it's nothing that Hoge has said this week that really bothers me, more his full body of work when it comes to opinions. Very, very arrogant, and very stubborn.

No respect from the national media

Denver NEVER, EVER gets ANY respect from the national media. The one that I can't stand the most, however, is Dan "Hate Elway" Marino. He's grated on me season after season. The list goes on though: Boomer, Terri Bradshaw, etc. etc.
    "If God isn't a Bronco fan, why are sunsets Orange and Blue??"

Quote Originally Posted by jletourneau
    I don't think he's bad at breaking games down, but when he gets opinions in there, ugh, I can't stand it no matter what team he's talking about.

Before he analyzed the Broncos v. Steelers for the first time at the beginning of the week, he started with a statement of, "I have spent a lot of time breaking down the Broncos v. Patriots game tape and what took place, and this is what I have determined from it as why the Borncos won't win." (paraphrased of course.)

Then, in his reasoning he went on to give his reasons and NOT ONE was even taken from the gametape, NOT ONE. Anyway he sounded ridiculous and really contradicted himself, but this is just one example.

I have no problem with Hoge homering it up a little for the Steelers, he should, as should Sharpe and Davis and Schlereth for the Broncos, but he still needs to have a slightly non-yellow perspective when doing so.

Again, it's nothing that Hoge has said this week that really bothers me, more his full body of work when it comes to opinions. Very, very arrogant, and very stubborn.
    Well that arrogance and stubborness is earned, take a look at this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/featur...7&seasontype=2

Then jump to the next page and look at postseason picks, what happened to Salisbury????? Notice how the anylyst that actually played in the postseason are the ones that are better then thoughs that haven't been there. There is no doubt that Hoge is a homer but not when he breaks things down, he is by far the best breakdown guy on any show, Jaws is good but lacks defensive knoweldge, Hoge does well on both sides of the ball.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by jeneric46324
    Well that arrogance and stubborness is earned, take a look at this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/featur...7&seasontype=2

Then jump to the next page and look at postseason picks, what happened to Salisbury????? Notice how the anylyst that actually played in the postseason are the ones that are better then thoughs that haven't been there. There is no doubt that Hoge is a homer but not when he breaks things down, he is by far the best breakdown guy on any show, Jaws is good but lacks defensive knoweldge, Hoge does well on both sides of the ball.

Eric
    Sorry not buying bs. Hoge is absolutely terrible. Even during the Eagles fanastic run from 01-04 he never gave them any credit and always picked the other team to beat them in the playoffs. He isn't just a homer but he obviously still has hatred for some teams and allows that to greatly skew his judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by SACOTFW

Then he sums it up by saying "when you put all these 'facts' together you will say there is no way to pick against the Steelers." At least Schlereth, Sharpe and Jackson can acknowledge when an opponent has a strength over the Broncos. I for one think its pretty much a wash between these teams on offense and defense but Hoge makes it sound like that the Steelers are head and shoulders above the Broncos in every possible category. He has to be getting paid off to make these insane comments.
    sorta like Stinky picking the Broncos, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanatic
    sorta like Stinky picking the Broncos, huh?
    Who is stinky?