Fumble Reversal in Steelers Game?

Mods, I'm posting this on several boards, cause I really would like to hear a good answer on this.... Hoping someone who KNOWS will answer this.

I have a serious question... When the forearm touches the ground and the ball comes out, the ground can't cause a fumble... The question is, what if his forearm touches the ground, he doesn't fumble, regains his balance, and he is able to keep running? Is the whistle blown when his forearm touches? I've seen calls where a player rolls over bodies on a short yardage play, and because the knee never touches, the ball carrier is not down.

I have heard on many plays that an elbow touching the ground is the same as a knee, and the play is dead, but never the forearm. My recollection of the play is that his wrist hit first because of the angle he was going down at. The ball came out before the elbow hit.

This is not a "ref's cost us the game" question... I just wonder if anyone knows the rule. I just haven't heard of the forearm thing coming into a call, and I've watched for a LOT of seasons. Gonna post this elsewhere cause I'd really like to know this one.

yeah

The rule is if anything on the body except hands or feet tough the ground and a defender touches the player once on the ground orcouass the play to go down then the player is down by contact.

Had the player went down, and got back up without being touched and fumbled then it is a live ball

The reason he was ruled down after the replay, is because he was touched by a defender. If he was able to get back up without being touched, he could run with the ball.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Never underestimate the power of emotion to undermine logic - The Raptor[/FONT]

If he falls and somehow only manages to touch is forearm, without touching any part of his elbow then he can keep running. But alot of the time your forearm hits the ground your elbow will be touching too.

And yes the play woudl go on if the refs were sure his elbow didnt touch at all.
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp
    If he falls and somehow only manages to touch is forearm, without touching any part of his elbow then he can keep running. But alot of the time your forearm hits the ground your elbow will be touching too.

And yes the play woudl go on if the refs were sure his elbow didnt touch at all.

how wrong can you be?

the rule is ..with contact..any part of the body aside from the hand and feet ..touches down, the player is down by contact

now im pretty sure the forearm is not considered the HAND bay any doctor

so lets replay this.... parker sweeps right ...has the ball...is met by a defender (gold) ? wrapped up.( note this is where the 'WITH CONTACT' comes in... is rolled to the ground and looses the ball,,called a fumble...replayed and the call was reversed because...........yep you guessed it...the knees never hit ...but the forearm was on the ground before the ball came loose

so what have we established here
    1. contact was made
    2. the forearm is not the hand and falls into the "any part of the body aside from hands and feet'
    3. the forearm was complety on the ground before the ball came out
    4. it was overturned

5. the officials ( while i dont like it ) got the call right...no fumble

I dont really agree with the call, I've seen arms hit the ground before and players not ruled down even when contact is made, I think it was close,and clearly, the NFL owed the Steelers a few calls after that debacle in Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Joe
    I dont really agree with the call, I've seen arms hit the ground before and players not ruled down even when contact is made, I think it was close,and clearly, the NFL owed the Steelers a few calls after that debacle in Indy.
    The "contact' doesn't have to be made "on the ground" in this instance. The "contact" is what caused him to go to the ground. In the act of gong to the ground, as long as the player maintains control of the ball until he hits the ground, the call will be made in that manner because the ground itself cannot cause a fumble.
    The difference is a receiver who dives for a catch...makes the catch and ends up on the ground. Since no "contact" was made, the receiver would be permitted to get up and run again. In this case, the "contact" was what caused Parker to go to the ground in the first place.

I wasn't trying to start any "we got ripped off" thing here. I just wanted to know the rule. My question got answered, hands and feet only on the ground, or the play is over. Good enough, let it go, folks.

it was the right call.....

seriously people.....

these threads are old.....
    "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

-The best in the business-

Not to beat a dead horse, but didnt at one point in time the NFL consider the arm part of the ball? The worse call in my opinion was the tuck call, that was a fumble, not a pass and had they lost those yards Denver might have stopped them for once, two calls that didnt go our way and just spilt milk at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMastermind

these threads are old.....
    So isn't that pic in your sig.
    [img]http://homepage.mac.com/mikeleboeuf/.Public/liqbu.gif[/img][url=http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5251620]-Foxsports.com[/url][img]http://homepage.mac.com/mikeleboeuf/.Public/WatsonChump.jpg[/img]

No, SteelRaptor, Willie's left or right knee was downed by contact before his right arm was downed with football hitting the ground. When you look at that instant replay, you'll see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRaptor
    The reason he was ruled down after the replay, is because he was touched by a defender. If he was able to get back up without being touched, he could run with the ball.

Along these lines I saw an interview the other day with a guy I believe was in charge of the officials and he said that Polamalu's hair touching the ground would make him down and, more surprisingly, that he could quite legally be brought down by his hair. I'd like to see that, a two handed yank to the turf.