Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Nascar

Let's talk some Nascar! The shootout is this Sat night. Looking forward to seeing the #26 take the checkerd flag to start the season out right.
    Last edited by Xtreme Bronco; 02-14-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Part of me feels like I do during the NFL pre-season and could really care less about this Saturday.

But the other, larger part of me agrees with you and am majorly looking forward to this Saturday (though still not as much as the following Sunday!), especially since my boy did manage to win a couple of poles last year and will be proudly driving (and crashing if it's anything like last year - lol) his #9 around the speedway!

I ready for the season, I hoping Jeff Gordon has a good seaon
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!

I may support NASCAR if they quit calling them athletes...I sit on my arse for 8 hours a day...does that make me an athlete too?

I'm hoping Jimmy will pull it out this year

Will likely watch the shoot-out. Another cold winter weekend...

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

I can't wait for Saturday! I'm a Mark Martin fan (as you can tell from one of my sigs and the "6" in my screen name) and, in his final season, I hope he goes out on top like our boy Elway!!

And as for Big Bucks opinion, they may not be "athletes" in the literal term as "one skilled in exercises of agility" (Webster's Dictionary ), but sitting and driving for 5-6 hours is hard enough, then you have to add the centripetal force of the track and the 200+ degrees of heat which makes a driver lose around 10 pounds of water weight a race. They may not be the more well known type of athlete, but they still can handle things no ordinary man or most other "real athletes" could.
    Last edited by SyxxSynse; 02-08-2006 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dusty6
    I can't wait for Saturday! I'm a Mark Martin fan (as you can tell from one of my sigs and the "6" in my screen name) and, in his final season, I hope he goes out on top like our boy Elway!!

And as for Big Bucks opinion, they may not be "athletes" in the literal term as "one skilled in exercises of agility" (Webster's Dictionary ), but sitting and driving for 5-6 hours is hard enough, then you have to add the centripetal force of the track and the 200+ degrees of heat which makes a driver lose around 10 pounds of water weight a race. They may not be the more well known type of athlete, but they still can handle things no ordinary man or most other "real athletes" could.
    very well said

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

I absolutely agree w/ Dusty6. For anyone to sit in a car and drive it around a track at speeds of almost 200mph for several hours takes quite a bit of stamina! NASCAR Drivers are athletes. For southslander, i think Gordon will have a better year than last, he has a new crew chief and has something to prove. I would look for all hendrick team to be in the chase maybe except vickers. Martin should be good as usual especially in his last season. All the roush boys should good they always are and i do not see any reason why this season would be any different. This excites me b/c my man McMurray is on board with Roush #26. It should be fun and this saturday night has most of the big boys in it, so we should get a preview of the 500!

I echo everything everyone on here has said about them being athletes and would also add in that they put their lives on the line every week like no other athletes I can think of.

By the way, the tickets came in the mail Monday for the second race of the season at California!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Calif. Bronco
    I echo everything everyone on here has said about them being athletes and would also add in that they put their lives on the line every week like no other athletes I can think of.

By the way, the tickets came in the mail Monday for the second race of the season at California!!!!!
    Bull riding is, in my opinion, the most dangerous and fastest growing sport (that's actually fact) on the market today. I'm not saying what NASCAR drivers do does not take skill, talent, and some stamina, but I don't believe they are athletes in the true sense of the word. It's akin to calling a golfer an athlete...they both involve skill, but they're not a physical sport that requires peak conditioning. I also realize that it is an inherently dangerous sport, but I believe there are alot more safeguards, and alot fewer injuries in that sport as a result. Heck, in bull-riding, the bulls themselves are athletes...1,500+ pounds of pure, unadulterated muscle with a will to do bodily harm...sounds like the Denver front four and linebacking corps to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buck 1981
    Bull riding is, in my opinion, the most dangerous and fastest growing sport (that's actually fact) on the market today. I'm not saying what NASCAR drivers do does not take skill, talent, and some stamina, but I don't believe they are athletes in the true sense of the word. It's akin to calling a golfer an athlete...they both involve skill, but they're not a physical sport that requires peak conditioning. I also realize that it is an inherently dangerous sport, but I believe there are alot more safeguards, and alot fewer injuries in that sport as a result. Heck, in bull-riding, the bulls themselves are athletes...1,500+ pounds of pure, unadulterated muscle with a will to do bodily harm...sounds like the Denver front four and linebacking corps to me!
    I agree with you about golf (and would throw bowlers into that mix as well) but I think you've missed the mark on the conditioning of NASCAR drivers - these guys are in great shape (a lot better shape than some football linemen and a whole heckuva lot of baseball players - lol).

As for bull-riding, I know nothing about it so I'll kindly trust your opinion - it sounds like both rider and bull are in pretty good shape.

Actually, I think what makes this debate interesting is that we all have different opinions on what being an athlete entails - is it having a skill, being in shape, or some other standard?

I think that's the problem, everyone's got a different standard.

I don't know about NASCAR drivers being in great shape, I would say they are lean, which probably has more to do with keeping the weight of the car/driver package down in order to save fuel and horsepower. I don't think a person need be in great cardiovascular shape to drive NASCAR, I believe they need to be accustomed to the conditions, such as heat, G-forces, dehydration, and hours of driving in circles. I won't go so far as to say they are athletes, but what they do is not easy...I'll admit that.

Golf, bowling, billiards, poker, etc...any of these activities (notice I didn't say sports ) that the common person can do...these do not require athletes...at most I would call them skilled competitors.

Here's what Wikipedia calls an athlete:
    An athlete is a person possessing above average physical skills (strength, agility, and endurance) and thus seen suitable for physical activities, in particular, contests. An ancient Greek word for "contest" was athlos, and those competing in the games were called athletes.
    Here's what Wikipedia calls a sport:
    A sport is a physical and mentally competitive activity carried out with a recreational purpose for competition, for self-enjoyment, to attain excellence, for the development of a skill, or some combination of these. A sport has physical activity, side by side competition, self-motivation and a scoring system.
    While NASCAR incorporates some of these elements, I have a hard time believe it as all of them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a debate of the merit of sport and NASCAR, it's cool in its own rite. I'll start my own thread for bull-riding. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420
    OK, this was in the Jake Plummer is a bad guy thread and I just HAD to say something. In fact, and of course this is nothing personal against Jared, I love Jared, he is one of the nicest people on this board (smooch, smooch on the buttocks ) BUT when I read this my head almost popped off.

How can you say NASCAR is not a sport!!!!! Is it because you think it's not a team oriented sport, or because there is no ball involved, or because you don't think it takes any physical strength or endurance? I mean, please let me know what your reasoning is.

Also, I need to know if you have ever been to a NASCAR race in person. Because for those who have never been in person, you cannot judge this sport, yes I said sport, without seeing it live. If you are going by what you see on TV, you are being misled. This is by far one of the most exciting sporting events to see in person.

One more question, do you consider golf, tennis and fishing sports?

Without knowing your answers, I am still going to make my rant about NASCAR.

1. NASCAR is a TEAM sport. The driver could not do it without a crew, a staff, owners, sponsers, etc. etc. There is so much that goes into racing, if you haver never been behind the scenes, you could never begin to fathom.

2. As far as it not being tough, I would love to see anyone of you, or your "sport" stars get in a NASCAR and drive 500 miles at speeds sometimes in excess of 200 mph's. It takes strength, stamina, endurance and great physical ability and talent. Not any Joe Schmo can become a great race car driver (and I say this because I do not want to limit this to just NASCAR, all auto racing to me is a sport, have you ever watched an F-1 race........WOW).

These men (and women) risk there lives for this SPORT. The greatest NASCAR driver to ever live (IMHO) died for this sport. And for those of you who dont know who I am talking about, I am talking about THE one and only, #3, - The Intimidator - Dale Earnhardt.

One of the greatest race car drivers ever, Ayrton Senna, F-1 driver, died racing. This list goes on with names of great drivers who died racing their cars. If that isnt love for what you do, I dont know what is.

I would love to go on and on, but I have work (damn thing is always cutting into my time on this board). I am sure I will have more to say after I get some responses.

And I want to make this clear. I did not grow up a NASCAR fan, I did not grow up in the South. I am a Yankee, born and bred. Lived and raised my whole life in CT (until moving to Okla 6 yrs ago) but I liked NASCAR before moving. I will say this, if you havent been to a race, that is the only reason you cant appreciate it for what it really is. I urge you to try and see one if you havent, I promise you wont be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420
    Well first let me start out by saying I went a little off topic by trying to convince you to like NASCAR when I was really trying to convince you that it is a sport. I see that you have attended many a race (my first ever NASCAR race was at Pocono and I actually got to meet Darryl Waltrip, Ernie Irvan and a couple others cause they were staying in the same hotel as us, it was cool)). Being from Ct, Pocono was the closest until Loudon NH was built. I will add this, those are probably the two most boring tracks on the circuit with the exception of the road courses. A race at Indy or Texas or Dover or Talladega (not that you havent been there, you probably have) is one to see. But if you have been to so many and still dont like it, you never will. So in the future if you ever have to go.......give me a call I will be happy to take your place.

Back to the sport issue.

2) My definiton of a sport is something that invloves more physical activity and strategy against another human being than NASCAR provides. Even in team sports, there are still individual battles waged for the good of the team (in theory. SOme players are selfish and egotistical, but that is another discussion entirely). So, even though NASCAR has a crew and a driver, going aroung in left turns for 4 hours as fast as one can seems to be lacking strategy and some sort of direct physical skill matchup with another human being. Just my definition, which I actually had to think about in a college philosophy course way back when, something titled Games, sports and war or something, about how mankind has always had some kind of game or comepetitions......again, another discussion for another time.

Strategy wins NASCAR races every week. Fuel amounts, pit stops (when to take them, how many tires, how much fuel). When a driver is on the track he must use strategy to determine when to pass, if to pass, who to hook up with, not to get caught out of the draft. I believe there is so much more involved than just turning left.

3) Going 150+ MPH in a car ain't hard. NASCAR experience in Florida (or Carolina?) lets people do that

No it aint, but it gets a little harder when you are an inch from the car in front of you, have a car touching your bumber and there are forty of you stuffed inside a large cereal bowl.

Too loud, too many drunk people, too hot, too loud, too boring, did I mention too loud?

Hmmmmmm? Loud and drunk.......sounds like a he!! of a time to me But seriously, the one main reason I love racing is the loudness, so to speak. I love "feeling" the noise. My first race I was told to wear ear plugs when I got close to the fence. I did, but immediately took them out and have never worn any since. I love standing by the fence as the whole entire pack drives by. To me it is one of the most intense feelings ever.......I cant think of another SPORT that you can actually feel.

And yes I agree with you on the popularity of the SPORT today as compared to the 70's, there is no question there.

As far as the Kings 200 wins, it was back when they raced 3-4 times as many races per season as they do now. So there is no way that any driver will ever be able to surpass that record due to the fact that they dont race as many races these days. Also comparing any SPORTS figure from on era with one from another is really pointless because of the difference in the way the SPORT is played or the equipment used, etc. etc. But as far as Champioships goes Dale and the King are tied at the top with 7.

I do envy all the races you have been to, I wish I could have seen as many. And I know this sounds lame, but if I ever had so much money I didnt have to work, one of my desires is to get a kick a$$ mobile home and tour the entire NASCAR circuit for a whole season. Again, the loud and the drunk infield parties is where I wanna be (and no I have not shown my **** and will never be drunk enough to) but its fun watching loud mouthed inbred goobers get drunk and make fools of themselves. Oh wait, I just gotta look out my window to see that these days.........LOL

Thanks Jared, I really enjoyed this conversation/debate with you (and hope to continue it for a little while longer anyway). You really are a nice guy (again with the butt smooching) but seriously, its nice to have an intelligent adult debate about SPORTS w/o name calling and personal slandering, ya know. Maybe when we are in other threads where theses guys go off on each other, we can post a link to this thread and show em how its done.

Peace out my brother!!!!!
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...7624#post47624

I really havent followed it since Dale died - it isnt the same for me anymore and Im not to crazy about the new rules and point standings and stuff

But I honestly feel you cant make an informed opinion on the physicality of a sport unless you have done it yourself -

A lot of drivers are hoping on the get physically fit bus because it really does make a difference - this aint your granpappy running moonshine cross the border car racin no more

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buck 1981
    I'll start my own thread for bull-riding. Cheers!
    Oh I'm sure that will get a lot of responses - lol!