Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Someone please explain to me why a large scale talent show is so fascinating?
    Because people are cattle. They accept and embrace whatever is shoved down their throats. There is so much good music being made out there that the majority of people don't hear because MTV, FOX, Clear Channel..etc, tell everyone what to listen to. And most people just accept it.
    "It's okay to be a cliche....Everything under the sun has been done."

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkBronco
    Because people are cattle. They accept and embrace whatever is shoved down their throats. There is so much good music being made out there that the majority of people don't hear because MTV, FOX, Clear Channel..etc, tell everyone what to listen to. And most people just accept it.
    This is why I rarely listen to the radio. I get so sick and tired of the same crap over and over again all day long. The pop channels are the worst.

I mainly listen to country music cd's. All cd's of any music type have the variety everyone needs. Most singers or groups have one song off their cd that gets burned out on radio play. The other songs from the cd are usually the better one's imo.

And they wonder why the music industry is "hurting". Who are these idiots that decide we have to hear Brittany Spears all day long?
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac_69
    Who are these idiots that decide we have to hear Brittany Spears all day long?

I work in radio, and I have to tell you, the listeners who are in the research groups overwhelmingly, across all mainstream formats (i.e. exclude jazz and classical) say the same thing. But then they aslo say that they usually flip the dial if a song comes on that they are not familiar with. Talk about hard to please.

So, really, what's a music programmer supposed to do? Too much variety is just as bad as not enough.

It's a no win.

I think the biggest thing wrong with radio, as an insider, is too many GM's and Program Directors come from the sales side, not the on-air/programming side. So they have marketing degrees, and aren't necessarily hard core fans of music or the format they are trying to 'sell'. They see the music as a hook to grab listeners for their advertisers. Whereas, I, as a die hard music lover and radio geek, see commercials as a necessary thing to continue to offer good programming, and know that listeners feel the same way. But the commercials should be on our station because the advertisers believe we have loyal fans and good programming. As opposed to most programmers trying to figure out out how to get more listeners for the advertisers, I feel we should get more listeners who enjoy listening to the program.

This is probably why I keep getting passed over for program director jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    I work in radio, and I have to tell you, the listeners who are in the research groups overwhelmingly, across all mainstream formats (i.e. exclude jazz and classical) say the same thing. But then they aslo say that they usually flip the dial if a song comes on that they are not familiar with. Talk about hard to please.

So, really, what's a music programmer supposed to do? Too much variety is just as bad as not enough.

It's a no win.

I think the biggest thing wrong with radio, as an insider, is too many GM's and Program Directors come from the sales side, not the on-air/programming side. So they have marketing degrees, and aren't necessarily hard core fans of music or the format they are trying to 'sell'. They see the music as a hook to grab listeners for their advertisers. Whereas, I, as a die hard music lover and radio geek, see commercials as a necessary thing to continue to offer good programming, and know that listeners feel the same way. But the commercials should be on our station because the advertisers believe we have loyal fans and good programming. As opposed to most programmers trying to figure out out how to get more listeners for the advertisers, I feel we should get more listeners who enjoy listening to the program.

This is probably why I keep getting passed over for program director jobs.
    I see your points here.

I personally can't stand most of the pop music nowadays but was forced to listen to it at work due to the fact that they were the only station that would have any decent reception in a concrete walled building.

One of the things that I do not understand is a "lunch hour all request hour" for example. The pop channel basically plays the top 20 songs over and over again. The DJ will even ask for some requests during this hour of "old school" or 80's hits or something like that. So here there is an opportunity for some variety.

So what happens? The people call up and request the songs in the top 20 list. The same flipping songs you hear the rest of the day. Two things come to mind with this:

1) The people requesting these songs are just now tuning in and have to hear their current favorite song. Or

2) These people can't get enough of their favorite song. Obviously referring to our younger generation. I got to the point that if I heard Outkast one more time I was going to go insane! I got so sick of that I would turn the radio completely off. Silence became more golden than enduring that repetitious nonsense.

It is highly frustrating for someone like me (in my mid 40's) that couldn't get away from it. When in my truck I usually tune into our classic rock channel or put in a cd I like. The program director with our classic rock station does a fantastic job of mixing up the songs and pulling out old ones you may have forgotten about or just haven't heard in years. For example, everytime they would play Led Zeppelin we weren't torchured with Stairway To Heaven over and over again.

I don't know what the answer is but the music industry as a whole does seem to be caught in a rut.

I see your points here.

I personally can't stand most of the pop music nowadays but was forced to listen to it at work due to the fact that they were the only station that would have any decent reception in a concrete walled building.

One of the things that I do not understand is a "lunch hour all request hour" for example. The pop channel basically plays the top 20 songs over and over again. The DJ will even ask for some requests during this hour of "old school" or 80's hits or something like that. So here there is an opportunity for some variety.

So what happens? The people call up and request the songs in the top 20 list. The same flipping songs you hear the rest of the day. Two things come to mind with this:

1) The people requesting these songs are just now tuning in and have to hear their current favorite song. Or

2) These people can't get enough of their favorite song. Obviously referring to our younger generation. I got to the point that if I heard Outkast one more time I was going to go insane! I got so sick of that I would turn the radio completely off. Silence became more golden than enduring that repetitious nonsense.

It is highly frustrating for someone like me (in my mid 40's) that couldn't get away from it. When in my truck I usually tune into our classic rock channel or put in a cd I like. The program director with our classic rock station does a fantastic job of mixing up the songs and pulling out old ones you may have forgotten about or just haven't heard in years. For example, everytime they would play Led Zeppelin we weren't torchured with Stairway To Heaven over and over again.

I don't know what the answer is but the music industry as a whole does seem to be caught in a rut.
    I agree....I am channel surfing while driving all the time and when I get tired of that I will play a CD...My Cd collection varies from Patty Loveless to Jimi Hendrix...

I

Don't confuse the music indusrty with the radio buiness.

Radio has many formats that do not deal with record companies.

Classic rock, classical, jazz, sports, news, Oldies, etc. They don't play new songs, so record companies don't bother with them.

Terrestrial radio is making money, but like all traditional media, has had steadily declining share since the advent of the internet/digital age.

Satellite radio should be kicking our teeth in, but at the rate they are losing money, I am not sure how long they can stay viable. Plus, satellite can't do local weather, news, traffic, or other items of local interest.

I do like the "Jack" stations that have been popping up. My only complaint about them is that you have to go to the internet to find out what is playing if you don't know the song. They should hire real music geeks to be on the air at those sttaions and keep all the breaks related to the music. Having no DJ's at all sounds like a MUZAK channel. A really hip MUZAK channel, but still.....

I do like the "Jack" stations that have been popping up. My only complaint about them is that you have to go to the internet to find out what is playing if you don't know the song. They should hire real music geeks to be on the air at those sttaions and keep all the breaks related to the music. Having no DJ's at all sounds like a MUZAK channel.
    We have new station here in KC called 97.3 Max...with the slogan "everything that rocks". I love most of the music, they play newer rock but still play alot of Poison, Ratt, Warrant, Rush, Megadeth etc....I like the format but again no DJ's.
    I agree...hire some music geek. I like a little banter between songs.

Also, a question for you Jared. Do DJ's have any input at all on what gets played on the air? Is it even possible for a DJ to break a band anymore? Example, could you put a new King's X tune on the air; people call in and request it more; people go out an buy the new cd and then more people go see their shows. Or is nothing like that even remotely possible without a band being signed to a major label?

thanks.....
    "It's okay to be a cliche....Everything under the sun has been done."

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    Don't confuse the music indusrty with the radio buiness.

Radio has many formats that do not deal with record companies.

Classic rock, classical, jazz, sports, news, Oldies, etc. They don't play new songs, so record companies don't bother with them.

Terrestrial radio is making money, but like all traditional media, has had steadily declining share since the advent of the internet/digital age.

Satellite radio should be kicking our teeth in, but at the rate they are losing money, I am not sure how long they can stay viable. Plus, satellite can't do local weather, news, traffic, or other items of local interest.

I do like the "Jack" stations that have been popping up. My only complaint about them is that you have to go to the internet to find out what is playing if you don't know the song. They should hire real music geeks to be on the air at those sttaions and keep all the breaks related to the music. Having no DJ's at all sounds like a MUZAK channel. A really hip MUZAK channel, but still.....
    I think that is why the classic rock channel for me is so appealing. They are free to play what they want. What the people want/request without jeopardizing their advertisment dollar or sponsors.

The country and pop channels repeat music over and over because they are tied with the music industry and fight for the big bucks speaking of those advertising dollars. Play song "X, Y and Z" twelve times today and you get "X" amount of dollars I am sure is the way it goes. Pushing the newly released CD's on the shelf out the door by hooking just one more fan of that song or group.

As far as sattelite radio goes, I would never go there. I have enough problems with my TV Satellite because of our location. I have heard numerous complaints about it in this area because of signal fading in and out. And we are small market here and "Jack" channels are non existent although there is what I call a newwave/alternative channel on the dial now.

Still not sure to answer the original question about why American Idol is so popular. The winners of the show would clearly fall into the country or pop scene which is probably one reason why Kelly Clarkson controlled the airwaves for so long. But the process of getting there is pretty fun.

This week it's Tuesday night Greensboro North Carolina and Wednesday night they move to San Francisco.

And tonights show is on!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

its fun to watch....they had some doozies on there tonight...

That girl with the famous grandmother was awesome! I want to here more of that voice!

Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
    That girl with the famous grandmother was awesome! I want to here more of that voice!
    She was really good. And the blonde that sang part of "Broken Wing" was really good to.

And I like the Air Guardsman who sang. The one with the bald head to ran into his wife on the way out with Paula Abdual wrapped around his waist

NOT a good thing for a wife to see, me thinks!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

I am in seminars everynight this week so missed last night and will miss San Francisco tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncFanIN
    She was really good. And the blonde that sang part of "Broken Wing" was really good to.

And I like the Air Guardsman who sang. The one with the bald head to ran into his wife on the way out with Paula Abdual wrapped around his waist

NOT a good thing for a wife to see, me thinks!
    Rofl yeah the guardsman was hilarious! Paula on his waste he opens the door Paula screams, " YOU'RE MARRIED!"

what did you all think of the black gal that was the last one on Tuesday night?

she was really dissing Paula....it takes all kinds...