Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CBS Coverage of AFC Games is Terrible!

I've polled my football friends and they all (20+ people) agree that the coverage that CBS provides to the Broncos is terrible!! Does anyone know how the contracts are assigned to the broadcast networks? I am guessing that it's done from the Big Honchos in the League offices and they just blindly assign the contracts to whichever network offers the best deal. Money talks, but I demand better commentators and coverage.
    Any comparison between CBS, Fox, ABC and ESPN makes it obvious that CBS is the worst of the networks. The usual commentators on CBS are constantly mispronouncing players names or mis-identify them completely, miscall the team scores/penalties/stats, they have several instances where they come back from comercial late and rarely even mention what happened while the viewers were missing the action. I know everyone makes a mistake now and then. But I've noticed the other networks almost always come back to correct their mistakes and they make far fewer mistakes than CBS anyway. CBS just lets the errors go and hopes no one will notice. If you are even an average football fan I'm sure you've noticed instances of what I've mentioned.

How many of you are old enough to remember the Heidi instance during the Jets-Oakland game on NBC in 1968? I think NBC learned alot after that happened. Maybe that is why they don't get or even want the contracts anymore. If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, just do an internet search on the words Heidi Football.

Well, I've finally had enough of the poor coverage and want to do something about it. I'm sure they will not listen to a single voice so I would like to get as many people involved as possible.

First - We need to know how and who actually assigns the contracts. This will help to direct our displeasure to the appropriate people.

Second - We need to get a concerted effort directed to the appropriate people. The more people involved the better.

I am sincerely hoping that you fans who read this will get your other football friends involved with this effort. We can make our voices heard and we can make a difference!

Thanks for listening and hope you too will help to take action.

Thumbs down

FOX is totally LAME with of all people...." Joe Buck "... That guy is horrilby LAME ..he's the new PAT SUMMERAL! I can't believe he's the top dog for FOX! He may be ok for baseball, but the NFL?
    The guy is horrible. Then they got that redneck Troy Aikman is the color analyst. Collinsworth is the only bright spot on that trio.

And did anyone else besides me got sick of seeing Jamal Lewis'
    mama on the screen like 20 times?? It was HORRIBLE!! Give me a Break ESPN!!!

Well, I'm forced to like it because of the AFC!!!!!!!!
    [center][img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4413/darrentwilliamsxt5.jpg[/img][/center]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AznBroncoFan
    [B]FOX is totally LAME with of all people...." Joe Buck "... That guy is horrilby LAME ..he's the new PAT SUMMERAL! I can't believe he's the top dog for FOX! He may be ok for baseball, but the NFL?
    The guy is horrible. Then they got that redneck Troy Aikman is the color analyst. Collinsworth is the only bright spot on that trio.

Got to agree with you there, AznBroncoFan! I failed to mention the FOX SPORTS Channel in my original post. I, myself, never watch it unless I have to. Joe Buck is terrible and should sent back to covering spring training tryouts in Florida, irregardless of two emmy awards ( who da hey gives THEM out, anyway?). Speaking of emmy awards, I think Chris Collingsworth has one, too. but I would put him right down there with Boomer when it comes to sportscasting. The only bright spot on the CBS anchor team is Marino who always looks like he would rather be back doing Target commercials than sitting with those other jokers. Deion is only there for name recognition and he doesn't even realize that!

When I mentioned FOX in my original post, I meant the regular Fox Channel. Where I consider JB the top dog. Granted that Terry Bradshaw can get out of hand but at least he has a stellar carreer behind him, not like Boomer on CBS. And Jimmy Johnson is still resting on his laurels as well. At least the team and the overall coverage is better than most.

I would still prefer to watch the Fox Channel (not FoxSports) any day of the week over CBS. Too bad ABC doesn't pick up the slack. MNF has been outstanding for decades now. Al Michaels is excellent no matter who he's teamed with. A lot of people think John Madden is over the hill but he does balance Al well and he does know a lot about what goes on behind the scenes on a football team. He can even use the "tele-strator" better than anyone I've seen on CBS!

[ The only bright spot on the CBS anchor team is Marino who always looks like he would rather be back doing Target commercials than sitting with those other jokers.

Just realized after reading my post that it was Joe Montana who did the Target commercials. Didn't Dan Marino do Isotoner Glove endorsements?

Madden has to quit sucking up to Favre , there could be a tie game with 2 seconds left and the fieldgoal team out there and Madden will bring up Favre and he is on a bye week

Madden sucks up to most white players if you notice -- I think if it wasn't for Madden, Alstot and Jerivicious wouldnt be so popular...

CBS need to get better cover guys for the games. Listening to Simms makes me sick, he is worse than the Pigmen in ESPNs Sunday night booth.

Deion & Boomer are just annoying. Marino is Ok.
    Even if he did do the Isotoner glove thing a few years back.
    The Game Day Thread: Year 14 Now in progress.

personally, i dont think any of the commentators on any of the networks do a perfect job; but CBS defenitley is the worse and home to most of the idiots. but there are a few guys like Al Michaels who are good, Joe Theisman sometimes has good insights. but "joe buck" PLEASE. how the hell did he get into commentating anyway.

As far as pregame/postgame shows go,
    i like most of the guys on FOX, howie long would be the weakest link there.
    ESPN: I like Berman & Tom Jackson, but Irvin Just down right sucks
    CBS: Theye're all idiots, enough said about them.
    "HOW THEY GONNA TRY ME LIKE DAT?!"- Champ Bailey

CBS is better than fox. Their journalism is much more professionally done. That's not to say much about CBS - just that Fox is really bad.

ESPN does one hell of a job.

MNF needs a third man in the booth.

I still miss NBC though. They were by far my favorite station for football broadcasts. Plus their football music at each commerical rocked. =) Atleast they went out with a bang.

Originally posted by Slogdawg
    Just realized after reading my post that it was Joe Montana who did the Target commercials. Didn't Dan Marino do Isotoner Glove endorsements?
    I don't remember the Joe Montana Target commercials, but I do remember the Marino Isotoner Glove commercials.
    Fending off Chefs left and right since 1980.

First 50 people in the store got free Montana footballs.

I must agree that CBS is definitely the worst of all the networks that cover football as they seem to have no clue what is happening on the field at all....

BTW, Joe Montana did the commercials for Mervyns not Target

make up your own commentary

i never have a problem with them until they do replay and say one thing happene that didnt happen.
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

So me and my dad arent the only ones. Bad, bad is not the word for the commentary we deal with, especially this coming week, phil simms again, id rather listen tot he sinday night commentary and there bad.

Listen to what phil says in a game, every play he is talking about someone is so good, then next quarter they make a play and he's downing them, so which is it, he has something to say about everything, but whats worst is call it how you see it, they will replay an obvious call and phil will say "oh well i dont know its questionable", he has no backbone!
    Born and raised on Broncos football! 27 and counting....