New Light on Warren's contract

I just wanted to post a number of contracts that other DT's have signed to help us process Warrens contract better. Here is a list from Scout.com that ranks the top DT free agents this year. And while I may not agree 100% with the rankings it does give us a rough framework of where some of these DT's stand, and Warrens place in it.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1 Rocky Bernard Seattle
    2 Chris Hovan Tampa Bay
    3 Ma'ake Kemoeatu Baltimore
    4 Sam Adams Buffalo
    5 Larry Tripplett Indy
    6 Ron Edwards Buffalo
    7 Trevor Pryce Denver
    8 Gerard Warren Denver
    9 La'Roi Glover Dallas
    10 Brentson Buckner Carolina
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Here are some footnotes on contracts I was able to find in order:

#1. Rocky Bernard - Unsigned

#2. Chris Hovan's new contract is for five years and $17.5 million.

#3. Kemoeatu $27.5 million over the course of the contract, which includes a $6 million signing bonus and $2 million in second-tier bonus. His base salary for 2006 is $1 million.

#4. Sam Adams - Unsigned

#5. Larry Tripplett signed a five-year, $18 million contract that included a $5.5 million signing bonus.

#6. Ron Edwards - Unsigned

#7. Trevor Pryce - Agreed to a five-year contract worth $25 million that includes $10 million in guaranteed money.

#8. Gerard Warren - 6 yrs 36 million with $10 million in bonuses.

#9. LaRoi Glover - La'Roi Glover's three-year contract is worth $12 million, including a signing bonus of $3.5 million

#10. Brentson Buckner - Unsigned
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

It seems like there were definitely deals to be made with cheaper FA's. Especially with how much has been made about Warren wanting to stay in Denver so badly, you think we may have gotten him cheaper. Based on him being primarily a lane clogging run stopper, who didnt provide that much penetration last yr, this definitely does not seem like to hot of a deal. Hopefully when the exact #'s come out on his contract we will find it extremely backloaded with years we dont anticipate fulfilling.

The most annoying contract is probably Hovan who had somewhat of a similar story to Warren. He was highly touted prospect (former 1st rd pick), who was benched eventually in Minny, and finally cut, who resurrected his career in Tampa. As Tampa gave him a second chance, and he felt comfortable there, he gave them a discount, not exactly the case with Warren.

I too am anxiously awaiting the numbers from Warren's Contract. I felt that he was a "Space eater" ala Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams and not necessarily a "Playmaker" ala Warren Sapp. It looks like we paid him "Warren Sapp in Tampa" kind of money and that will be disheartening especially if the only reason that we miss out on TO is due to a lack of salary cap space because of the Warren deal. only time will tell............................

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosRPH
    I too am anxiously awaiting the numbers from Warren's Contract. I felt that he was a "Space eater" ala Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams and not necessarily a "Playmaker" ala Warren Sapp. It looks like we paid him "Warren Sapp in Tampa" kind of money and that will be disheartening especially if the only reason that we miss out on TO is due to a lack of salary cap space because of the Warren deal. only time will tell............................

Yh I dont see him as a disrupting force so much as a clogger as well. Big money indeed. On the plus side he is young, and we now have half of our Dline locked up with Courtney Brown, and if we get Abraham we will undoubtedly sign him to a long term deal, so that woudl mean our Dline would be pretty set for a number of years with pretty decent talent.

No replies? I guess people are too busy responding to "The New Guys" latest TO ROX, SHANNY DOESNT NOHOW TO SPIND $#$" thread.

Ok that rant doubles as a shameless bump, for anyone who cares.

age an potential have to be considered in the contract. until we see how it is structured, it is hard to really judge it. if it is all backloaded to the final two years, then it is obvious shanny is taking a chance that warren lives up to his 3rd overall drafting. if he doesnt, he would not see the big bucks at the end.

guys like hovan and bernard dont have much upside left in their careers, imo. they can still contribute, but i would be surprised if either of them had a career year during their new contracts.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

First off the list is not very good. Also Hovan is older and his contract was done before the CBA making it apples to oranges. This is a 6 year deal but expect Warren to restructure at around 4 years unless he playes lights out.
    http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbythug
    First off the list is not very good. Also Hovan is older and his contract was done before the CBA making it apples to oranges. This is a 6 year deal but expect Warren to restructure at around 4 years unless he playes lights out.

I appreciate the response, but actually Hovan is very similar to Warren, he is 27, a former 1st rder who wore out his welcome on his original team and is resurrecting his career with a new team. As for the contract, they were both done this offseason. I am not sure why you coudlnt evaluate them similarly, yh the cap went up by 7 million, but I dont see how that woudl make a gigantic difference in the 2 contracts.

#8. Gerard Warren - 6 yrs 36 million with $10 million in bonuses.

he will never see all 36 million of that money I bet hes cut in 2 years
    [SIGPIC]wowser[/SIGPIC]

While the number 36 looks quite daunting, the only number that really matters is that number 10, which is what is guaranteed. This contract more than likely isn't so outrageous, the last two years probably are, which can be extended, restructured, etc...