Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sorry whodey, i forgot about this thread. . .

Shaun Smith is the only DT that I feel is anywhere close to what could be considered "good." Thornton's okay, but he can be beaten, and Robinson gets swallowed up by doubleteams. We need to load up at this position, pronto.
    agreed-- you know i think it's your top priority. . .

Pollack was doing some interesting things down the stretch. Sometimes, he'd start out lined up at LB, and then as the cadence progressed, he'd creep towards the line and put his hand down. It was very effective on passing downs. The QB would be flushed to the right side of the pocket, and we'd have a corner blitz on from that side. Pollack will show why we invested a 1st round pick in him this year.

He was starting to look more comfortable as an LB, but I think he belongs closer to the line. If we bring in Arrington, we can let him get back to his natural position instead of trying to craft him into something he's not.
    seems to me that RDE should be his natural position, especially in the 4-3. . . did you think he was effective in coverage?

Washington was the one that we were hoping someone would match for. He's a RFA, and we'd get a 3rd round pick as compensation if someone picks him up. Kelley's an interesting case. He'll make a brilliant play on the first down he plays, and then he'll come out and do something stupid like miss his cut on the next one. He grandstands. He won't go across the middle because of an old neck injury. He could be a contributor, but I'm not his biggest fan. He'd be a good #3 somewhere else. Not here.
    no way he's shown enough for someone to give up a 3rd for him, even in a weak WR market. . . i remember he had some character concerns coming out-- i thought that slid him down the board in addition to the injury. . . another problem child for marv to babysit. . . if walter leaves he may be worth keeping around though-- at the very least he can provide a deep threat if henry continues to get in trouble. how about tab perry? is he a carrer special teamer, or can he contribute as a WR?

Houston indeed made Walter an offer, and Walter signed it. It's for like 1.3Mil/yr. We have until next Monday to decide whether to match or be compensated with a 7th round pick.
    i would match it if i were them-- in the few bengals games i watched, he made some plays and showed that he knew how to get open and move the chains. . . i don't think a 7th is adequate compensation, i doubt you'd find a WR there who can contribute as much. . . and it's not exactly a back-breaking contract!

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing Jamie Martin brought in. He didn't look bad last year, considering his situation. McCown is the sexier choice - I just have to wonder why Green was so down on him last year, despite the fact that his performance was better than Warner's over the stretch he played. But for the love of all that is sacred, we do NOT need Doug Johnson taking snaps during the regular season under any circumstances. I'd like to see it like this:

1. Palmer
    2. McCown
    3. D. Johnson

But the more likely situation is sub Martin for McCown.
    denny's clearly had some problems picking a QB the past 2 years-- for a while i thought he was losing his mind! you feel about johnson the way i feel about BVP. . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

[QUOTE=dogfish]sorry whodey, i forgot about this thread. . .
    No problem.

agreed-- you know i think it's your top priority. . .
    At this point, no matter what they do, if they draft a position other than DT in the first round, I'm going to be scratching my head. Yes, we need a TE, but I don't think the success of our offense hinges on it.

seems to me that RDE should be his natural position, especially in the 4-3. . . did you think he was effective in coverage?
    To be honest with you, we didn't really get to see enough of him in coverage. Pollack's main proficiency is rushing the QB. I did see him make a few open field tackles, and he did get a tip that led to an interception once, but I don't think that's something that we can expect to see from him consistently. If we were to acquire Arrington, Pollack would move to a much more comfortable spot in the defense, and we'd see him flourish. I'm not as confident about the Arrington acquisition today as I was yesterday, though. We're still trying to get our O-Line re-signed. Things will be tight unless we pull off some Dan Snyder-esque magic on the deal.

no way he's shown enough for someone to give up a 3rd for him, even in a weak WR market. . . i remember he had some character concerns coming out-- i thought that slid him down the board in addition to the injury. . . another problem child for marv to babysit. . . if walter leaves he may be worth keeping around though-- at the very least he can provide a deep threat if henry continues to get in trouble. how about tab perry? is he a carrer special teamer, or can he contribute as a WR?
    Tab Perry is my freakin' hero, and no way is he a career special teamer. You'd be surprised to learn that there was some discussion of having him make a transition from WT to FS. Sounds like some fans fantasizing, right? Nope. Marvin was actually the one that acknowledged that it was more than just a pie in the sky idea. Looks like that won't have to happen now, though.

Washington more or less cleaned up his act after Lewis reigned him in. Everyone here in the 'Nati was pretty surprised with how well he's behaved himself lately. Of course, who knows whether he would regress if he were to go to another team.

i would match it if i were them-- in the few bengals games i watched, he made some plays and showed that he knew how to get open and move the chains. . . i don't think a 7th is adequate compensation, i doubt you'd find a WR there who can contribute as much. . . and it's not exactly a back-breaking contract!
    Walter was also one of our leading tacklers on special teams. He'll be missed if we don't match the offer sheet the Texans have put on the table. I absolutely agree that it's not adequate compensation, unless you take into account that it's better than nothing. Good thing we picked him up on a 3 year deal so we can get something out of it when he leaves, right? RFA's are funny that way. I did some digging, and it would actually be 1.7mil a year we'd need to pay the guy. Without knowing what's going to come of Chris Henry, that seems steep for a guy that might only be a ST'er and a backup #3 on the depth chart.

denny's clearly had some problems picking a QB the past 2 years-- for a while i thought he was losing his mind! you feel about johnson the way i feel about BVP. . .
    *nods* On McCown, you have to wonder if his "streetball" mentality got him in the doghouse. I saw footage of the SF/ARI game in Mexico City on INFL last year, and they had footage of McCown in the huddle making things up as he went along. Not calling plays. It was pure streetball, and I bet that Green blew his stack when he saw the footage.

Doug Johnson is a journeyman at best. I don't think he's going to help us as a backup, especially if we need to start him the first few games of the season. I understand that we can expect to sign Jamie Martin today.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

NY Daily NewsThe Giants still don't have a weak-side linebacker, though, and there now seems to be little hope of them landing LaVar Arrington. A source familiar with his plans told The News that "LaVar is talking seriously with other teams and has no plans to revisit the Giants." It is believed that the Cincinnati Bengals have become the front-runner for his services, and he's expected to visit there in the coming days.

The source also said that Arrington's status will not be affected by the NFL Players Association decision yesterday to hit his agent, Carl Poston, with a two-year suspension. Poston was banned for his role in Arrington's dispute with the Redskins over a $6.5 million bonus, but he is planning an appeal.
    The threat of that suspension is why Carl's brother, Kevin, has been handling Arrington's negotiations this offseason.

Things are heating up.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

wow if the Bengals can land Arrington they will have strongly improved their defense after already signing Sam Adams & Dexter Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg
    wow if the Bengals can land Arrington they will have strongly improved their defense after already signing Sam Adams & Dexter Jackson
    The likelihood has decreased a bit. I hope that they can still afford him, but given that we still need a quarterback, I don't think we're going to get him. Matt Schaub's name has come up in recent conversations again, but if the Jets couldn't get him out of the Falcons, I don't think we can either. They like what they've got, and they'll probably keep him for another year.

Arrington's price tag will need to come down if we're going to have a crack at him. I think he wants to be here, though.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

This information provided by Lance McAllister, a radio personality in Cincinnati - he's probably one of the most well respected sports guys in the city. His website's at lance1360homer.com

From my Bengals observer:
    Bengals remain interested in LaVar Arrington. They have crafted a very friendly one year deal and given it to LaVar's agent. Stay tuned as more news on this front will come out prior to the draft.
    They remain interested in Harrington but will not give in to the Lion's demands for draft pick compensation. The team also remains interested in Jamie Martin as well as others. Expect this situation to be resolved shortly after the draft so that they can get a player in by the May mini camp.
    What else I'm told:
    Chad's changing body:
    "Chad Johnson is ripped. I mean as far as seeing a physical change in a player from one season to the next I was floored with what Chad has done. I can't believe I'm saying this but he looks Terrell Owens-ish. Kudos to Chad, as he has made a serious effort to increase his size and strength this off-season."
    Carson tossing the pigskin:
    "Friday Carson Palmer was moving quite well and working out in the weight room
    Carson, Chad, TJ, and Tab Perry all were on the field Friday for about a half hour. Carson was throwing the ball from a standing position (no drop backs etc.). Carson looked well in throwing the short balls to the receivers, however his mobility is still very limited but coming along. The picture of him throwing though made everyone feel much better and definitely raised the spirits of everyone around. The team plans to have Carson throw periodically to keep his reps up and work on his arm strength. I was told they hope to see some mobility while throwing from him some time in June. He currently is scheduled to be throwing with full mobility by August 7th. If all goes well he would be positioned to return full speed by September 11th which is one week prior to the Browns game."
    More notes:
    Craig Krenzel also looked very sharp throwing the ball on medium to long routes Friday.
    He connected with Chad downfield on a 50 yard bomb that was a textbook throw.
    Craig was very impressive. He also looks like he bulked up considerably from 2005.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals
    You heard it here first. Guaranteed.

They're going to move Robert Geathers to DT, David Pollack to DE, and Arrington to OLB. It'll be like the perfect mix between a 3-4 and a 4-3.
    That would make Cincy that one of the top two teams in the Conference if it happened. for you whodey

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals
    I'd hardly call Lance McAllister (local radio guy - very well connected) and the Dayton Daily News "JetsTv."

Just you watch, buddy.

Arrington to the Fins...didnt you watch the ESPN interview the only thing they talked about was Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco
    That would make Cincy that one of the top two teams in the Conference if it happened. for you whodey
    I sure hope so. My favorite part of this most recent report is the update on Carson. He's up and he's throwing the ball! Woohoo!
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Fins4Life
    Arrington to the Fins...didnt you watch the ESPN interview the only thing they talked about was Miami
    Didn't see it.
    HEAR ME ROAR!