Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mcginest to browns...

Clevelands continuing to clean up by signing big Willie.

They really improved alot. I can't wait to see them.

Yea seriously. They have really gone out and made some excellent moves. This is year two of the 3 year time table before Cleveland starts threatining for a Div. Title.

Just so a moderator doesn't delete this post for lack of a link. Here is one:

LINK

Unrestricted free agent linebacker Willie McGinest has found a new home with an old friend.

The former New England Patriots linebacker, released last week for salary cap reasons after 12 years with the team, reached a Wednesday afternoon contract agreement with the Cleveland Browns, ESPN.com has learned. He will be reunited in Cleveland with Browns head coach Romeo Crennel, who was an assistant in New England for seven of McGinest's 12 seasons there.

McGinest, who visited with Browns coache and team officials on Tuesday as his first stop in free agency, will sign a three-year, $12 million contract that includes $6 million in bonuses and guarantees.

The two-time Pro Bowl performer and three-time Super Bowl champion should provide the Browns with the outside pass-rush dimension the team sorely lacked in 2005. His familiarity with the 3-4 defense, the scheme in which he enjoyed so much of his success in New England, is also a huge plus. McGinest told ESPN.com last weekend that, while he felt he could play in a 4-3, he hoped to sign with a 3-4 team.

McGinest, 34, has 78 career sacks and his six sacks in 2005 were one more than any Cleveland player managed in Crennel's first season, as the Browns struggled to create pressure. As a team, the Browns registered just 23 sacks, the fewest in the NFL. Crennel and general manager Phil Savage had publicly reiterated the need to improve the Cleveland pass rush. McGinest also had 4 sacks in the postseason, all of them coming in a wild-card round victory over Jacksonville, a game in which he had eight tackles.

Cleveland officials were negotiating earlier this week with unrestricted free agent Kalimba Edwwards, a defensive end with the Detroit Lions who would have moved to linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, and who the Browns felt could fill a McGinest-type role for them. But when Edwards re-signed with the Lions, the Browns turned their attention to McGinest, and it didn't take long to strike a deal.

Several other teams had contacted agent Gary Uberstine to inquire about McGinest, but it is not known with how many more of them the veteran linebacker would have met had he not completed an agreement with the Browns. Among the interested teams were the Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys and the New York Jets. It is certainly no coincidence, though, that his initial trip was to Cleveland.

Along with the presence of Crennel, the Browns have been among the league's most aggressive teams in the opening days of the free agency period. McGinest becomes the seventh player acquired by Cleveland since the free agency period commenced on Saturday morning. He is the second new defensive starter, joining nose tackle Ted Washington.

McGinest, was scheduled to make $7 million in 2006 with the Patriots between his base salary and a roster bonus. But the Patriots felt that compensation was a bit too rich for them. Although there was speculation the Patriots might contact McGinest about signing a more palatable deal, there were no such discussions after he was released.

The Browns, who have posted just one winning season since returning to the league in 1999, and who were 6-10 under Crennel in 2005, certainly present the kind of challenge that McGinest seems to be seeking at this late juncture of his career.

"That's part of what excites me, really, is the chance to maybe help a team and help other players achieve some of their goals," McGinest said during a Saturday interview. "You name it and I've pretty much been there and done that. At this point in my career, the individual [accomplishments] aren't as important, not any more. I'm developed. I'm primed. I'm a team guy who knows his role. If that role is with a new team, well, so be it."

Browns to get McGinnest

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Back with Romeo. Should be a good fit.

Great pickup for the Browns. McGinest is a high motor player who always shows up in the playoffs.

Just another loss for the Pats. Yesterday Givens, Today McGinest and maybe soon Vinateri???

They are not as smart as everyone says they are.

We will see what happens next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco
    Today McGinest and maybe soon Vinateri???

Umm no. Dawson is a very good kicker and he isn't going anywhere. The Browns needed a punter and now Zastudil was signed. That's all the team needed as far as special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepower84
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Back with Romeo. Should be a good fit.
    The perfect guy for the browns right now, he should help that 3-4 out big time.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan
    Umm no. Dawson is a very good kicker and he isn't going anywhere. The Browns needed a punter and now Zastudil was signed. That's all the team needed as far as special teams.
    I was not refering to Vinateri to the Browns, I was saying the Pats lost first Givens then McGinest and next possibly Vinateri. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Sometimes I even confuse myself.

The Browns are looking good though IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco
    I was not refering to Vinateri to the Browns, I was saying the Pats lost first Givens then McGinest and next possibly Vinateri. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Sometimes I even confuse myself.

The Browns are looking good though IMHO.
    Oh sorry. When I saw Givens I figured you hadn't read that the Friday report was erroneous (him signing to the Browns).

Bye little willie

Browns sign Willie McGinest

Willie McGinest

Sports Ticker

3/15/2006 5:17:23 PM

BEREA, Ohio (Ticker) - Linebacker Willie McGinest has reunited with his former defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel.

The Cleveland Browns signed McGinest to a three-year contract worth $12 million on Wednesday.

McGinest, 34, spent his entire 12-year career with the New England Patriots and played in a club-record 18 postseason games. He is the NFL's all-time playoff leader with 16 1/2 sacks, including 4 1/2 in a wild-card round win over Jacksonville last January.

But the Patriots saved $7 million under the salary cap by releasing McGinest earlier in the month, but hoped to re-sign him at a lower price.

But they weren't willing to pay as much as the Browns, who are shopping for linebackers in coach Crennel's 3-4 set. Crennel was the Patriots' defensive coordinator from 2001-04 when they became the second team in NFL history to win three Super Bowls in a four-year span.

A two-time Pro Bowler, McGinest started 146 of 171 games with New England and recorded 700 tackles, 78 sacks for 511 yards, four interceptions, 55 passes defensed, 16 forced fumbles and 15 fumble recoveries. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1996 and 2003 and ranks third on the team's all-time list in sacks, behind Andre Tippett (100) and Julius Adams (79.5).

The departure of McGinest comes a day after the Patriots lost wide receiver David Givens, who signed a five-year, $24 million deal with Tennessee.

Cleveland also signed guard Bob Hallen to a two-year contract on Wednesday.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

A native of Mentor, Ohio, Hallen, 31, spent the last four years with the San Diego Chargers after playing four seasons with the Atlanta Falcons. He has started 46 of 87 games.

The Browns have been active since the free agency period started on Saturday, signing center LeCharles Bentley, tackle Kevin Shaffer, wide receiver Joe Jurevicius and punter Dave Zastudil to multi-year contracts. Bentley, Jurevicius and Zastudil are also Ohio natives

[IMG]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6473/johnelwayreq4wz.jpg[/IMG]

by mrbrightside111

Browns sign Willie McGinest

Willie McGinest

Sports Ticker

3/15/2006 5:17:23 PM

BEREA, Ohio (Ticker) - Linebacker Willie McGinest has reunited with his former defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel.

The Cleveland Browns signed McGinest to a three-year contract worth $12 million on Wednesday.

McGinest, 34, spent his entire 12-year career with the New England Patriots and played in a club-record 18 postseason games. He is the NFL's all-time playoff leader with 16 1/2 sacks, including 4 1/2 in a wild-card round win over Jacksonville last January.

But the Patriots saved $7 million under the salary cap by releasing McGinest earlier in the month, but hoped to re-sign him at a lower price.

But they weren't willing to pay as much as the Browns, who are shopping for linebackers in coach Crennel's 3-4 set. Crennel was the Patriots' defensive coordinator from 2001-04 when they became the second team in NFL history to win three Super Bowls in a four-year span.

A two-time Pro Bowler, McGinest started 146 of 171 games with New England and recorded 700 tackles, 78 sacks for 511 yards, four interceptions, 55 passes defensed, 16 forced fumbles and 15 fumble recoveries. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1996 and 2003 and ranks third on the team's all-time list in sacks, behind Andre Tippett (100) and Julius Adams (79.5).

The departure of McGinest comes a day after the Patriots lost wide receiver David Givens, who signed a five-year, $24 million deal with Tennessee.

Cleveland also signed guard Bob Hallen to a two-year contract on Wednesday.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

A native of Mentor, Ohio, Hallen, 31, spent the last four years with the San Diego Chargers after playing four seasons with the Atlanta Falcons. He has started 46 of 87 games.

The Browns have been active since the free agency period started on Saturday, signing center LeCharles Bentley, tackle Kevin Shaffer, wide receiver Joe Jurevicius and punter Dave Zastudil to multi-year contracts. Bentley, Jurevicius and Zastudil are also Ohio natives

[IMG]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6473/johnelwayreq4wz.jpg[/IMG]

by mrbrightside111

Those BASTARDS.

We better get LaVar in.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

looks like the AFC North is gonna be the place to be next season.

Quote Originally Posted by broncosfan247
    looks like the AFC North is gonna be the place to be next season.
    Damn straight.

The only team that I can't see getting over the .500 hump in the North next season is probably the ratbirds.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!