Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342

    Nalen dishes the dirt...

    http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/sho...threadid=16007

    early this morning my cousin (BC/ foxboro high grad) got a call from foxboro native tom nalen (broncos) and he puts the call on speaker phone so I can hear they've been good friends for almost their whole lives. so anyways the discussion turns into nalen playfully razzing my cousin about the patriots lack of moves and losing good players. my cousin then asks him "as a player how are the patriots viewed by freeagents " and he says something like "football players from every team are like a fraternity so we talk to eachother about whats going on, and honestly, nobody I've talked to wants to go to new england because they have no clue what the heck is going on down there ." there was a brief pause and my cousin asks "thats it?"

    nalen without hesitation says"a certain degree of loyalty gets franchises a long way and the patrots are looked at as a cold hearted team. " so my cousin asks him "why havent the pats talked to many freeagents when they have $20M to spare?" the answer kind of shocked me. his answer was "Trust me they've talked to tons of freeagents you've just havent heard it because thats how they operate, I know of 4 or 5 great freeagents that have been contacted by the pats front office one way or another and they've turned down the pats over the phone and didnt even bother flying into foxboro to hear what they have to offer. players are reluctant to even bother with the pats this year because you cant use them as leverage because they undervalue you and you dont want to play there because of their unwillingness to pay" so to end this part of the discussion my cousin asks him "If you were a free agent would you consider the pats " his answer "I'll tell you this much, as much as I would love to be back in my hometown , they wouldnt even be in my top 10 places to land"
    I know, it's not really relevant. But it is interesting, to me anyways.

    SUCK ON THAT BELICHICK!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    152
    woot! go nalen!
    R.I.P. [COLOR=Orange]Darrent[/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue]Williams[/COLOR] and [COLOR=Orange]Damien[/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue]Nash[/COLOR]

    R.I.P [COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Red"]Sean[/COLOR] Taylor[/COLOR]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    1,616
    Intersting, and insightful... Especially relevant given the Vinatieri situation. Here's one of, if not the greatest, kickers of all time, and the Pats can't shell out a couple mill extra to get him to finish his career in NE. The man made the greatest kick in the history of the NFL, arguably launching the franchise to where they are now, and they can't shell out the $$.

    This comes as no surprise to me, we're talking about the team that cut Lawyer Milloy in his prime, while he was their defensive leader. Same with McGinest. Now Vinatieri...

    Good Find WA--

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    583
    Dont forget Ty Law
    [IMG]http://www.kaitlynpaige.net/!cid_image001.gif[/IMG]

    Always remember to blow out the flame before drinking!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,758
    Think about this carefully! Perhaps FAs don't like going to the Patriots because they have fiscal disipline and don't shower free-agent dollars like Dan Snyder of the Redskins!

    Now ask yourself another question. How many championships have the Patriots won in the last 10 years compared with how many playoff games the Redskins have won.

    Yeah, that's right! The Patriots have won 3 SBs, while the Redskins have been to the playoffs once!

    Which program works better?

    The Pats are simply the model for efficiency in the NFL. The players may think they are cheap but they keep winning.

    How does it work? The Pats rely upon draft picks! They draft well, they are disciplined and well coached and they don't overpay for FAs. When they lose a player via FA, they have the ability to promote a younger drafted player from within and keep right on winning.

    The opposite of the Broncos who have to sign all their FAs even when they're expensive underachievers like Warren & Brown, because they don't have the structure of good young rookies through the draft to promote from within to take their places!

    DL is the best example of this. There are NO Broncos draft picks on the entire DL! Not one now that Trevor Pryce is gone and he was drafted in 1998!

    Hopefully this year that will change!
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-22-2006 at 10:02 PM.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    Think about this carefully! Perhaps FAs don't like going to the Patriots because they have fiscal disipline and don't shower free-agent dollars like Dan Snyder of the Redskins!

    Now ask yourself another question. How many championships have the Patriots won in the last 10 years compared with how many playoff games the Redskins have won.

    Yeah, that's right! The Patriots have won 3 SBs, while the Redskins have been to the playoffs once!

    Which program works better?

    The Pats are simply the model for efficiency in the NFL. The players may think they are cheap but they keep winning.

    How does it work? The Pats rely upon draft picks! They draft well, they are disciplined and well coached and they don't overpay for FAs. When they lose a player via FA, they have the ability to promote a younger drafted player from within and keep right on winning.

    The opposite of the Broncos who have to sign all their FAs even when they're expensive underachievers like Warren & Brown, because they don't have the structure of good young rookies through the draft to promote from within to take their places!

    DL is the best example of this. There are NO Broncos draft picks on the entire DL! Not one now that Trevor Pryce is gone and he was drafted in 1998!

    Hopefully this year that will change!
    It's funny because I've noticed you complain about us not paying big money for free agents in the past.

    Shanahan is pretty good at building consistently competitive teams (Even if he hasn't used the draft as much as some other successful teams.

    In my opinion, New England has been on one end of the spectrum and the Redskins on the other while Denver has done a good job of maintaining a nice balance for the most part.

    Of course, it would be nice to see them have a bit more success with the draft, but they are fantastic at finding gems in free agency that can come in and fill holes and like the Patriots, they do their best to not often overpay, but they are more loyal to guys that have already given their all to the team and do their best to keep our quality players on the team. They do pretty well at doing this. The Patriots in my opinion, are a bit too quick to let their star players leave.

    The Patriots have done very well in the draft, but part of this had to do with the fact that their base 3-4 scheme wasn't being run by many teams, so they were able to pick up quality players later in the draft (Like Denver does with offensive linemen), and they've also just had some good luck.

    If their drafting faulters a bit, it wouldn't be too surprising to see them decline a bit. Particularly, because they are so unwilling to give their good players what they are worth at least sometimes. And some free agents may avoid them because they are such hard-asses expecting pure loyalty out of players, but not being loyal themselves. I mean, their organization is a bit selfish.

    (On the other hand, at least they are willing to spend to the cap unlike some other teams that really are cheapskates.)
    My adopted fan is dogfish

    . . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Couer d' Alene, ID
    Posts
    1,688
    This isn't the first time I have heard something like this. I have hear from Pats fans how there have been methods the Pats use to devalue their FAs so they can resign them.

    If any of it is true is not in my hands, but still I would not be shocked by it.
    "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."
    http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8913/lodohat3nv.jpg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes Owl
    It's funny because I've noticed you complain about us not paying big money for free agents in the past.

    Shanahan is pretty good at building consistently competitive teams (Even if he hasn't used the draft as much as some other successful teams.

    In my opinion, New England has been on one end of the spectrum and the Redskins on the other while Denver has done a good job of maintaining a nice balance for the most part.

    Of course, it would be nice to see them have a bit more success with the draft, but they are fantastic at finding gems in free agency that can come in and fill holes and like the Patriots, they do their best to not often overpay, but they are more loyal to guys that have already given their all to the team and do their best to keep our quality players on the team. They do pretty well at doing this. The Patriots in my opinion, are a bit too quick to let their star players leave.

    The Patriots have done very well in the draft, but part of this had to do with the fact that their base 3-4 scheme wasn't being run by many teams, so they were able to pick up quality players later in the draft (Like Denver does with offensive linemen), and they've also just had some good luck.

    If their drafting faulters a bit, it wouldn't be too surprising to see them decline a bit. Particularly, because they are so unwilling to give their good players what they are worth at least sometimes. And some free agents may avoid them because they are such hard-asses expecting pure loyalty out of players, but not being loyal themselves. I mean, their organization is a bit selfish.

    (On the other hand, at least they are willing to spend to the cap unlike some other teams that really are cheapskates.)
    Very well put, I'll have to owe you a CP. I was just gonna say, there needs to be a happy medium between the Economic Machine that is the NE patriots, and the Big Spending Redskins... They Pats are like the IMF, they don't care how the people feel about their policies, they just impliment them with the big picture in mind. Whereas the Redskins have no bigger picture, they're all about spending now and sorting it all out later.

    Lost in all this is that even in this overspending era, there is something to be said for loyalty. Free Agents are attracted to the Pats because they win, and so some older players who want to win are willing to take a little less $$ to go in there and compete for a ring. But if you want to get paid, or you want to go somewhere and feel comfortable of your roster spot yr after yr then NE isn't the place for you.

    Maybe we're idealists Owl, but I'd like to think Denver has found a way to be somewhere in the middle and still remain competitive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes Owl
    It's funny because I've noticed you complain about us not paying big money for free agents in the past.
    That is interesting...

    Hrmmmm...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    8,055
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/sho...threadid=16007



    I know, it's not really relevant. But it is interesting, to me anyways.

    SUCK ON THAT BELICHICK!

    [Reali] Inside information! Point for Adande! [/Reali]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
    [Reali] Inside information! Point for Adande! [/Reali]
    Lol, I love that show!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    Think about this carefully! Perhaps FAs don't like going to the Patriots because they have fiscal disipline and don't shower free-agent dollars like Dan Snyder of the Redskins!

    Now ask yourself another question. How many championships have the Patriots won in the last 10 years compared with how many playoff games the Redskins have won.

    Yeah, that's right! The Patriots have won 3 SBs, while the Redskins have been to the playoffs once!

    Which program works better?

    The Pats are simply the model for efficiency in the NFL. The players may think they are cheap but they keep winning.

    How does it work? The Pats rely upon draft picks! They draft well, they are disciplined and well coached and they don't overpay for FAs. When they lose a player via FA, they have the ability to promote a younger drafted player from within and keep right on winning.

    The opposite of the Broncos who have to sign all their FAs even when they're expensive underachievers like Warren & Brown, because they don't have the structure of good young rookies through the draft to promote from within to take their places!

    DL is the best example of this. There are NO Broncos draft picks on the entire DL! Not one now that Trevor Pryce is gone and he was drafted in 1998!

    Hopefully this year that will change!

    the pats have been a model of efficiency at drafting, but let's not forget that they also got very lucky having a 6th round QB turn into one of the best in the league-- if not for that one giant stroke of luck, they probably win zero super bowls despite the other success they've had in the draft. . .

    also, the unwillingness to pay to keep quality free agents has finally caught up to them-- their main weaknesses last year were lack of a running game, and lack of depth and talent in the secondary. . . and the inability to keep brady upright ushered in the end of their run here in denver. . . think they missed guys like lawyer milloy, ty law, damien woody and joe andruzzi?

    now they're letting more key guys walk and not doing anything to replace them. . . no matter how good your coach and QB are, they need some help, and the pats are banking far too much on belichik and brady for next year. . . they've had their run, and kraft is satisfied with it, they've done well enough to sell jerseys and tickets for the next decade or so, and he is now willing to rest on his laurels and rake in the dinero. . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

    rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish
    the pats have been a model of efficiency at drafting, but let's not forget that they also got very lucky having a 6th round QB turn into one of the best in the league-- if not for that one giant stroke of luck, they probably win zero super bowls despite the other success they've had in the draft. . .

    also, the unwillingness to pay to keep quality free agents has finally caught up to them-- their main weaknesses last year were lack of a running game, and lack of depth and talent in the secondary. . . and the inability to keep brady upright ushered in the end of their run here in denver. . . think they missed guys like lawyer milloy, ty law, damien woody and joe andruzzi?

    now they're letting more key guys walk and not doing anything to replace them. . . no matter how good your coach and QB are, they need some help, and the pats are banking far too much on belichik and brady for next year. . . they've had their run, and kraft is satisfied with it, they've done well enough to sell jerseys and tickets for the next decade or so, and he is now willing to rest on his laurels and rake in the dinero. . .

    well i think they missed rodney harrison more than lawyer milloy and corey dillon being banged up all year no doubt hurt their running game. they were a pretty banged up team last year. and ask the jets if law was worth the money he signed for.

    but all teams that win superbowls end up getting their coaching staff and free agents raided. its the nature of the game. when you consider that they lost both coordinators and had a ton of injuries on both sides of the ball, it has to be said that the pats did pretty good last season.

    but nalens quote does make it seem like it is going to be harder and harder for the pats to remain at the top of the heap. the last couple of years players wanted to go their for a chance to win a ring. but if this quote is true, players are starting to avoid new england. i dont care how good your drafting is, if you cant get a free agent without over paying you are not going to be a consistantly competitive team.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx


    "And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ





  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc
    well i think they missed rodney harrison more than lawyer milloy and corey dillon being banged up all year no doubt hurt their running game. they were a pretty banged up team last year. and ask the jets if law was worth the money he signed for.

    but all teams that win superbowls end up getting their coaching staff and free agents raided. its the nature of the game. when you consider that they lost both coordinators and had a ton of injuries on both sides of the ball, it has to be said that the pats did pretty good last season.

    but nalens quote does make it seem like it is going to be harder and harder for the pats to remain at the top of the heap. the last couple of years players wanted to go their for a chance to win a ring. but if this quote is true, players are starting to avoid new england. i dont care how good your drafting is, if you cant get a free agent without over paying you are not going to be a consistantly competitive team.

    no doubt they had a lot of injuries-- and they did not have the depth to withstand them. . . drafting well is a great thing, but you also need to retain some of your veterans for leadership and experience. . . and they are getting thinner all the time.
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

    rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish
    no doubt they had a lot of injuries-- and they did not have the depth to withstand them. . . drafting well is a great thing, but you also need to retain some of your veterans for leadership and experience. . . and they are getting thinner all the time.

    i do agree with you

    but not too many teams have a lot of depth in todays nfl. but the pats have seemed a little hasty in getting rid of their starters. plus they built this team on draft picks in the top half of the 1st round. even after their first superbowl they managed to get earlier draft picks. things have gotten a little tougher for them picking from the back of the line.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx


    "And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •