Aaron Brooks a Raider

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5436220

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) - The Oakland Raiders found their replacement for Kerry Collins, agreeing to terms Wednesday with former New Orleans quarterback Aaron Brooks on a two-year contract worth more than $8 million.

The 29-year-old Brooks gives new Raiders coach Art Shell a proven starter to compete with veteran backup Marques Tuiasosopo and second-year pro Andrew Walter. Brooks was cut last week by New Orleans when the Saints signed Drew Brees, one of the most coveted free agents available this year.

"It was a win-win scenario," said Brooks' agent, Mason Ashe. "They have a lot of potential, a lot of firepower. It looked like they were just missing the ingredient he adds - a quarterback of his caliber who has his skills."

The contract includes a number of incentives based on Brooks' performance. He started 13 games for New Orleans last season, completing 240 of 431 passes for 2,882 yards and 13 touchdowns. He threw 17 interceptions.

"Oh, sweet," receiver Alvis Whitted said in a phone interview. "I'm glad that we do have a new quarterback. I'm sure he'll fit right in with what we're trying to get done here. I'm sure the coaches are excited. From what I've seen of him play, he's done some great things. He's very athletic, a mobile quarterback and very intelligent, too. He's a great fit for us, and we're happy to have him."

Brooks, who had started 82 straight games before being benched for the final three games of 2005, spent the past six seasons with the Saints after playing for Green Bay in his first NFL campaign in 1999.

Brooks, a fourth-round draft pick by the Packers out of Virginia, was one of few capable quarterbacks left on the market this offseason.

"Aaron gives us great depth at the quarterback position and provides us with a veteran presence," Shell said.

Oakland parted ways with Collins on March 10 in an expected salary-cap move that saves them $9.2 million against the salary cap once bonuses are factored into the figures.

The 33-year-old Collins went 7-21 record in two years as Oakland's starter and said at the end of the season he was willing to restructure his deal but would not play for "peanuts."

When the team cut Collins, Shell was left to consider Tuiasosopo and Walter as leading candidates for the position.

Tuiasosopo has just two starts in his five-year career. In 2003, he replaced the injured Rich Gannon to start against the Detroit Lions but suffered a season-ending injury to his left knee in the first half.

Tuiasosopo started one game last season against the New York Jets after Collins was benched but turned the ball over four times in the 26-10 loss and Collins regained the starting job the following week.

Walter, a third-round pick out of Arizona State last year, didn't play as a rookie. He threw for 85 touchdowns and 10,617 yards during his college career.

The Raiders scored only 51 points, with just six touchdowns, in their final five games and lost their last six overall and eight of nine despite an offense featuring Collins, Randy Moss, LaMont Jordan and Jerry Porter. At 4-12, they finished with one fewer victory than in fired coach Norv Turner's first season a year ago.

Perhaps the most glaring statistic is Oakland's failure to win a division game for the first time since owner Al Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team. The Raiders went 1-11 against the AFC West during Turner's two seasons.

Brooks is ready to help turn things around for a franchise that has flopped since reaching the 2003 Super Bowl and losing to Tampa Bay.

"He respects the tradition of the team," Ashe said. "They treated him with a lot of respect and came out aggressively to get him. It's a pretty nice opportunity to be THE guy."

great
    champ will have fun picking this guy off twice a year
    I believe in you, Knowshon!

Aaron Brooks is a better QB than people give credit. He should never have gone to the raiders. They are awful.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    Aaron Brooks is a better QB than people give credit. He should never have gone to the raiders. They are awful.
    He's too inconsistent though and likes throwing backward more than forward....

He won't have much luck in Oakland. He could be a great QB if he played in the right system, kind of like Carr.

The issue that I have with Brooks is that he's prone to mental mistakes. He'll play brilliantly for one series, and then on the next one it looks like he's playing Tecmo Bowl - he keeps running away from the line of scrimmage, and then he tries to throw a bomb.

Overall, major improvement over Collins, who I never thought much of anyhow. He sucked as a Giant, and then when people were hyping his move to Oakland, I was just chuckling the whole time.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals
    The issue that I have with Brooks is that he's prone to mental mistakes. He'll play brilliantly for one series, and then on the next one it looks like he's playing Tecmo Bowl - he keeps running away from the line of scrimmage, and then he tries to throw a bomb.

Overall, major improvement over Collins, who I never thought much of anyhow. He sucked as a Giant, and then when people were hyping his move to Oakland, I was just chuckling the whole time.
    I always felt Collins was as overrated as one can be.

So yeah. Brooks will be an improvement, but nothing to fear for anyone else.

The Raiders still need ALOT of help before they're competing for anything at all.

This is a good pickup for Oakand. He is an upgrade over Collins and I think if they get a defense, Oakland will be improved IMHO.

Indeed.

Though, they need help at just about every defensive position.

Mario Williams or AJ Hawk would be a nice start for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    Indeed.

Though, they need help at just about every defensive position.

Mario Williams or AJ Hawk would be a nice start for them.
    I'm hearing whispers that Oakland is still thought to be a player for Vince Young. You'll notice that Brooks was only signed to a two year deal - he may just be keeping Vince's seat warm for him.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Oh, really?

That's not the pick I'd make if I were the Raiders front office.

Young has a high bust factor, imo.

I guess I'd go for the more "safe" pick with Hawk or Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    Oh, really?

That's not the pick I'd make if I were the Raiders front office.

Young has a high bust factor, imo.

I guess I'd go for the more "safe" pick with Hawk or Williams.
    Hehehe, if you were in the Raiders front office, you'd have Imhotep Davis breathing down your neck.

Remember, when it comes to the Raiders, just because something makes sense doesn't mean that they're going to do it.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

You're right on both accounts.