Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by T8KNOVR
    What if Cutler is available at #15, do we get him then?

The QB position in the 1st round is usually a 2 year plan. Do you guys remember that we drafted Elway's prodigy Griese while John was still under center? We only picked up Jake in 2003 because he was the best free agent at the time, so we thought. In hindsight we should have signed Delhomme from the Saints. We need to plan form the future like we do at every other position on our team. The QB position for the Bronco's is the worst in the NFL. Bradley Van Pelt, come on. If he is the future let's wait 4 years until we get the #1 pick in 2010.
    First off Plummer was the best free agent on the market at the time and he want Jake here anyway. Secondly I don't think it was a bad choice. Third of all, if Shanahan truely believes that he's that close to getting to the Super Bowl drafting a player that wont have an immediate impact on the team is not wise to do.

Finally, Shanahan has been looking for a veteran qb to back up Jake. I'm of the understanding that Shanahan thinks Van Pelt has alot of upside, but knows that Van Pelt is no where near ready for extended duty.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by Jrhampton
    Breeze got a decent target to throw to and had a couple of years experience in the league. Rivers had nothing to do with it.

The reason breeze is gone is twofold.

1. He has a biggie contract.

2. The are not sold on his shoulder being repaired for the money they have to invest in him.

Had his shoulder not been hurt it would have been rivers on the trade block.
    I not so sure Rivers would have been on the trading block. He was a top 5 pick and if they were so sold on Breeze they should have just signed to a long term contract at the end of '04 season.

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by RoorRipper
    So, if we draft Jay Cutler, and he comes in for Plummer and totally sucks it up, can we all point and laugh and Brncomtnman?

Sure, and if Jake Plumber creates 4 turnovers in another AFC Championship game like last year, can we all point and laugh at PoorRipper?

Bree's not Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    I not so sure Rivers would have been on the trading block. He was a top 5 pick and if they were so sold on Breeze they should have just signed to a long term contract at the end of '04 season.

Bree's would have been on the chopping blocks regardless of injury. The separated shoulder only lowered the amount of teams interested in Drew. Bree's was always looking over his shoulder as he knew that with the initial drafting of Rivers the Chargers front office felt he was not the long term solution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC

Think they were wondering like everyine else if it was a one year wonder. He retty much proved himself in 2005 until WE got him injured.

I firmly believe that breeze would still be in SAN had he not been injured. SAN would have gotten a nice set of draft choices for rivers.

Bree's would have been on the chopping blocks regardless of injury. The separated shoulder only lowered the amount of teams interested in Drew. Bree's was always looking over his shoulder as he knew that with the initial drafting of Rivers the Chargers front office felt he was not the long term solution.
    Your wrong they loved breeze after his turn around. I have friends in SAN and the only reason ivers was drafted was breeze has not shown anyone anything .

Proved them wrong. SAN would have gotten a nice high draft choice from NOL or the JETs for rivers. Until he got hurt.

Damn guys.

I've been thinking Jay Cutler might be the best thing since sliced bread all season and I'm not even willing to part with both first round picks to get him.
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChicken
    Damn guys.

I've been thinking Jay Cutler might be the best thing since sliced bread all season and I'm not even willing to part with both first round picks to get him.
    A man of intelligents, or is it a Chicken of intelligents?

Thanks Snk16

What if Cutler is available at #15, do we get him then?

The QB position in the 1st round is usually a 2 year plan. Do you guys remember that we drafted Elway's prodigy Griese while John was still under center? We only picked up Jake in 2003 because he was the best free agent at the time, so we thought. In hindsight we should have signed Delhomme from the Saints. We need to plan form the future like we do at every other position on our team. The QB position for the Bronco's is the worst in the NFL. Bradley Van Pelt, come on. If he is the future let's wait 4 years until we get the #1 pick in 2010.

honestly, i think it's a moot point-- i see no way cutler falls to #15, if he starts to fall i think someone will trade up to grab him, and as i had it in my mock draft i think cleveland at #12 would be a very willing trading partner, i think that spot is the absolute lowest he would fall to, and he'll probably be gone before then. . .

but just for the sake of discussion (it IS the off-season ), i would, rather reluctantly, say that yes, we should take him if he falls to #15. . . he is considered an excellent prospect with all the tools and good intangibles (and frankly, i trust the opinions of ohnokoolaid and psychochicken as much as some of the "experts"), and we just aren't in the position to even consider drafting a franchise QB very often. . . you can win in this league with defense and a tough ball-control O, but having a top QB is obviously a huge building block for a team-- we all know it's the most important position on the field!

most QBs take a few years to develop, and he could sit on the bench for a year or two while we make a run with plummer. . . i would also be WAY more comfortable with a blue-chip rookie prospect than BVP, experience or no. . . if a player falls in your lap who could be the face and the cornerstone of your franchise for a dozen years or more, you take him!

but i personally would be entirely opposed to the idea of trading up for him at all, for the same reasons the other posters have listed. . . he woukld be a pick for the future, and we need to make a run while our window is still open, we've been a quality team for a while now and expect to be every year, but there are no guarantees. . . our cap situation clearly isn't one of the better ones in the league, and key players like rod smith and nalen won't be playing for many more years. . . we are very close to being an elite team rifght now, a few upgrades at key positions (DE, WR, TE) could put us over the hump. . .

the problem with trading up for cutler is that not only does HE not help this year most likely, but you've also mortgaged picks that could provide players that could help. . . even if we only trade a 2nd to move up a few spots, that essentially leaves us with ONE player taken on the 1st day of the draft who has a chance to see significant PT this year, and although lower round picks can sometimes contribute and high picks aren't guaranteed, the high picks are the guys you expect to come in and help. . . just too risky imo, as others have said we're not rebuilding and can't afford to spend multiple picks on a player who's basically a luxury at the moment. . .

but yeah, if he somehow were to fall all the way to 15, i absolutely think we should (and would) take him there. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 03-31-2006 at 04:12 PM.
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Trade both picks for a QB? Right...

You guys are on your own with that one.

Let's definitely trade away both #1's so you to pudknockers are happy and we can watch him sit on the bench for the next 5 years. Good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrhampton
    Your wrong they loved breeze after his turn around. I have friends in SAN and the only reason ivers was drafted was breeze has not shown anyone anything..
    Has not shown anything??????? They went from 4 - 12 in 2003, then 12 - 4 the following 2004 season with a loss to the Jets at home in the playoffs. That season was the only reason Drew held the position as long as he did.

I live in SD and they have been trying to get Rivers into that lineup since draft day. The only reason he wasn't the starting QB in 2004 was the fact he held out of training camp. I have seen and heard the interviews of the Chargers GM A.J. Smith and he stated that the value they saw in Drew was far less then what he was asking. So Hampton, I don't know what your friend told you but, please let me know if you would like a link to the Chargers GM conversation on our local radio regarding Drew?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish
    . . . (too long to quote)
    You're absolutely right about everything in this post. Yes, it's a moot point, but yes, for the sake of discussion, we would have to take Cutler at #15 should hell freeze over.

I don't think I need to repeat the exact same points you made, but I will emphasize one of them. QB, along with RDE, CB, and LT, are the four cornerstone positions of football. If a team has great players at all these positions, and average starters elsewhere, they should be considered a lock for the playoffs, if not a serious Super Bowl contendor. Now as it stands with the Broncos, I think everyone can agree we are completely set at two cornerstones with Bailey at CB and Lepsis at LT. RDE, obviously, flat out sucks at the moment. So the cornerstone position that's in debate is QB. I, like most, feel Jake is adequate, but not great. If we don't draft a QB, he'll get us through yet another season. If we get Cutler at #15, it is possible (not necessarily likely) that Cutler could pass Plummer on the depth chart by 2007. OR if Plummer is injured, Cutler could steal his starting job permanently. And if Cutler succeeds like I expect him to, then we could officially check another cornerstone position off the list.
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

If Denver thinks that one of these QBs is the next frachise QB, then you go ahead and trade up and get him. But I dont think you have to go that far up. maybe to 10, which would "only" cost us 22 and a 2nd. But for all you idiots that think you would be a fool to get a QB that you think might sit for 2 years because we are so close, you are not thinking right. Look, chances are the picks, no matter who it is, is not going to be a difference maker this year anyway, When you see a franchise QB and you get a chance to get him, you do. Now, is cutler the guy? I still say Vince is the franchise QB this year.

2005 Is As Good as it Gets with Jake!

Yeah ...And this assertion of yours comes with what shred of credibility behind it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMagic07
    Sure, and if Jake Plumber creates 4 turnovers in another AFC Championship game like last year, can we all point and laugh at PoorRipper?
    POORripper HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Thanks for that. You REALLY got me there.

Jake is a very shady QB but drafting Cutler (or any 1st round qb) is so stupid.