Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342

    It may be true...

    More weight issues for Mike Williams?
    There's been some buzz that the Lions are getting more concerned about Mike Williams and his weight problems. Williams carried extra pounds last year and was never in excellent shape. Last year, he fluctuated between 245 and 250 pounds and the Lions want him down to 235, if not 230, and early indications are that Williams hasn't exactly hopped the fast track to that destination. Stay tuned.
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/in...03.html#121093

    Oh shizz...

    This rumor could definitely have some substance if that's the case.

  2. #17
    West is offline
    Professional Hell Raiser.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    4,524
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/in...03.html#121093

    Oh shizz...

    This rumor could definitely have some substance if that's the case.
    Next David Boston? He can stay out of Denver with that size. No thanks.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    342
    dooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    3,084
    He went #10 overall in 2005, right? if this rumor has any credibility to it, I'd be very interested.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by RazR
    He went #10 overall in 2005, right? if this rumor has any credibility to it, I'd be very interested.
    Yea, I'd like to think that Shanny could whip his ass into shape too...

    I've also been reading that Charles Rogers is having good offseason workouts as well.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    160
    Very interesting....

    Mike Williams AND a 9th pick? That's a steal for us. Mike Williams talent wise blows any of these WR's out of the water. Although that 250 weight concerns me a little bit.

    The thing that makes me wonder is that Shanny is comfortable with our D-line, Mike Williams will address our WR position....

    Vernon Davis?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Yea, I'd like to think that Shanny could whip his ass into shape too...

    I've also been reading that Charles Rogers is having good offseason workouts as well.

    The problem here is that Williams isn't gonna provide the deep threat that we need... Essentially he's a posession receiver and would fill the same role as Terrell would this season. This might be wishful thinking, but it would be the same with either Williams or Rogers. None of them are sure things.

    I'd rather have Rogers because he has better potential IMO. But he can't seem to stay healthy, and sounds like he's lazy which would explain the injuries and falling out of favor with coaches (if Mariucci, the ultimate players coach, didn't like him-who will? He even liked T.O.)-- So they both kinda sound like underachievers who would need a swift kick in the a$$.

    Obviously, the upside is that we'd be up to the #9 pick... The players you mentioned earlier could all be immediate impact players. So, to me, it's almost a toss-up as to whether I'd like this trade with either receiver.
    Last edited by Buff_bronc_fan; 03-31-2006 at 05:26 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    160

    WABronco

    Do you think Martz would let this fly? He needs all the receivers he can get.

    Does he even have any power when it comes to trades and such?

    Personally I think it'd be a STEAL... Although its kinda tough to trust Mike Williams, taking a year off of competitive football can seriously deter your skills.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff_bronc_fan
    The problem here is that Williams isn't gonna provide the deep threat that we need... Essentially he's a posession receiver and would fill the same role as Terrell would this season. This might be wishful thinking, but it would be the same with either Williams or Rogers. None of them are sure things.

    I'd rather have Rogers because he has better potential IMO. But he can't seem to stay healthy, and sounds like he's lazy which would explain the injuries and falling out of favor with coaches (if Mariucci, the ultimate players coach, didn't like him-who will? He even liked T.O.)-- So they both kinda sound like underachievers who would need a swift kick in the a$$.

    Obviously, the upside is that we'd be up to the #9 pick... The players you mentioned earlier could all be immediate impact players. So, to me, it's almost a toss-up as to whether I'd like this trade with either receiver.
    I think Mike Williams could play the role that Rod Smith does, he doesn't have to burn everyone, but he has solid hands, nice size(too heavy, currently). We can keep lelie for burning people, he's still good at that. Plus with the #9 we could get Ngata,Bunkley, or Davis. I'd prefer to go defensively though. If not, Davis might still be around.

    And this may just be a rumor, but it's not too "out there". Roy Williams is obviously their #1, Charles Rodgers is having a nice offseason, and Mike is a bit over-sized for a WR. With just Rodgers, Roy, K-Jones, and McCown/Kitna/Orlovsky, Martz would have more than enough weapons. That'd be a good enough reason to trade Mike Williams and boulster their o-line or defense with 2 nice 1st rounders. It's possible, and I wouldn't object.
    Last edited by The|Snake#16; 03-31-2006 at 05:51 PM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Another thing that somewhat substantiates the rumor in my mind despite the poor relationship between Williams and the Lions is that is was bantied about last year before the draft that ideally Mike Shanahan really coveted Mike Williams but was in NO place to come close to getting high enough to grab him. Originally, Williams was pegged anywhere as high as pick 5 last year to Tampa.

    And we all know that Mike likes to make second and third runs at guys who he really wanted.

    I believe the presence of Heimerdinger, a former WR's coach who is very successful and development, and the presence of Rod Smith would be very beneficial in bringing forth Williams' immense talent.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    1,350
    ***prays That This Happens***

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff_bronc_fan
    The problem here is that Williams isn't gonna provide the deep threat that we need... Essentially he's a posession receiver and would fill the same role as Terrell would this season. This might be wishful thinking, but it would be the same with either Williams or Rogers. None of them are sure things.

    I'd rather have Rogers because he has better potential IMO. But he can't seem to stay healthy, and sounds like he's lazy which would explain the injuries and falling out of favor with coaches (if Mariucci, the ultimate players coach, didn't like him-who will? He even liked T.O.)-- So they both kinda sound like underachievers who would need a swift kick in the a$$.

    Obviously, the upside is that we'd be up to the #9 pick... The players you mentioned earlier could all be immediate impact players. So, to me, it's almost a toss-up as to whether I'd like this trade with either receiver.
    Deep threat that we need??? I'm under the impression that we've already got that spot filled. If he got his act together, he'd be the big, physical redzone threat that we need IMO...

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    2,200
    mike williams and the #9 is a good place to start, but we would be getting ripped off for our two #1's. i dont think, from what MW showed last year, he is worth 500 points on the value chart. especially if he is having weight problems and personality clashes. if we get back another first day pick, id be more willing.

    on the topic of his weight problems, what would people say about moving him to TE? everyone knows shanny loves converting recievers to TE's. if williams is up around 250 (obviously we dont know what kind of shape he is in), then he is big enough for the position. his speed is not his strong point, but he would be a pretty fast TE. his biggest strength is using his body in traffic to get seperation and his great hands. both good attributes for a TE.

    and from what he showed last year, it is not like this is a situation where he is just too good a reciever talent to move. i have no idea what his blocking is like, or if he has the attitude and heart to move to a less glamorous position. but i dont think it is a completely ridiculous idea to consider.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx


    "And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ





  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by RoorRipper
    Do you think Martz would let this fly? He needs all the receivers he can get.

    Does he even have any power when it comes to trades and such?

    Personally I think it'd be a STEAL... Although its kinda tough to trust Mike Williams, taking a year off of competitive football can seriously deter your skills.
    Well, let's see here. As of right now, the top receiver on Detroit is Roy Williams. After him, it's a mix of Scottie Vines, Charles Rogers, Corey Bradford, and Mike Williams. I don't think it's a matter of Detroit not being able to spare him, IMO.

    Both Marinelli and Millen are hard asses, so they might not take too kindly to Williams' (and Rogers') lazy behavior.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    780
    This is the single most exciting rumour I've heard in a while. I don't care if MW has trouble keeping his weight down, he's bigger than any CB in the league and has Downy soft hands, he'll be just fine. And the number 9 pick wreaks of Haloti Ngata to me (that's a good thing)
    http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/1...osig6ed9xr.jpg
    I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
    ABWRFRC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •