Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What books are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by IRISHIDIOT
    There's 2 set's of books on this guy. Shanahan wouldn't touch him...esepcially not with a 2nd. His stats are padded badly with the division and opponents he played against. His '05 season was sloppy at BEST. He's got a pretty weak work ethic...serious character flaws...and has had more than 1 brush with the authorities. He has an awkward throwing style and happy feet. Not a NFL quality QB.
    Jacob's threw 46 touchdowns and ran for 6 td's in two years as the starter. Where are the HAPPY FEET Irish? These are the 2005 td stats for the top 3 qb's in the 2006 draft, Matt Leinhart threw 28 td's, Vince threw 26 td's, Cutler threw 21 td's. Jacobs threw 26 td's, 2 less then Matt but with over a hundred less attempts? Don't hate him because he played in the MAC. As long as we are talking D1, the levels are comparable. Irish did you know he was recruited by Arkansas and actually spent one year behind Matt Jones of the Jaguars before transferring into Bowling Green. His biggest flaw is his release point, but we've seen David Carr and Philip Rivers get drafted in the top 4 with similar releases. I await the 2nd set of books you have on Jacobs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"His stats are padded badly with the division and opponents he played against."

They said the same thing about Roethlisberger, and look how that turned out. I'm tired of all of the bull when it comes to MAC QB's. I know of 4 (Pennington, Leftwich, Frye, Roethlisberger) right now who are potential starters in the NFL next year. Get over it, there are GREAT football players in the MAC. I think Jacobs could be the 2nd best out of that group listed above.

Ina couple of drafts I have seen they have him going in the third round if at all on the first day. I wouldnt mind giving up a fourth for him, but I definately think we have more pressing needs to focus on first. Namely DE, S, WR, TE. I would like to adress those needs first. But i do agree that he will probably be a good Quarterback in the NFL not a star but a decent QB.

There's nothing wrong with MAC players...just Jacobs...

Quote Originally Posted by T8KNOVR
    Jacob's threw 46 touchdowns and ran for 6 td's in two years as the starter. Where are the HAPPY FEET Irish? These are the 2005 td stats for the top 3 qb's in the 2006 draft, Matt Leinhart threw 28 td's, Vince threw 26 td's, Cutler threw 21 td's. Jacobs threw 26 td's, 2 less then Matt but with over a hundred less attempts? Don't hate him because he played in the MAC. As long as we are talking D1, the levels are comparable. Irish did you know he was recruited by Arkansas and actually spent one year behind Matt Jones of the Jaguars before transferring into Bowling Green. His biggest flaw is his release point, but we've seen David Carr and Philip Rivers get drafted in the top 4 with similar releases. I await the 2nd set of books you have on Jacobs?
    It's ok to be high on a guy but do it for the right reasons. Omar Jacobs did well two years ago in a shotgun oriented offense that was 75% pass to 25% run and utilized 2 pass catching RB's out of the backfield. He had receiving options all over the field. Playing NCAA football is an acomplishment in itself, but the MAC is not a trying and testing division (TOLEDO, BALL STATE, BOISE STATE, BUFFALO, WESTERN MICHIGAN) you can pad your stats with those opponents. Jacob's happy feet were that he'd Jeff Garcia it too much and get uncomfortable in the pocket and bolt to easy and his stats took a tumble in '05. You referenced the '04 numbers...even with the 3 game abscence...he was well off the TD pace he had set and his yardage was 1/2 that of the '04 campaign. Taken all things into consideration those are very average and non-impressive numbers if he's such a stud QB. The numbers are skewed...because of the lack of consistency.

The analogy to ENRON was his on field statistics showed a QB with some flash but a long term project that may never pan out. The 2nd set of books is this guys brushes with the law and his ME complex. Every time he got himself into a little trouble he played a victim card, and the school being what it is....has made sure to help shield his character flaws from suitors.

The only reason he's even being considered in day 1 is because this draft is very short on QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by T8KNOVR
    If we go WR at #15 and DE at #22, Jacobs would be a great pick in the 2nd round. However, Jacobs is out of the equation if we go RB at #15 and DE at #22., the 2nd round pick will more then likely be a WR.
    Nicely put.

If Joseph Addai is available and it looks like he would still be there in the lighter part of the 2nd I would like for the broncos to trade down and get that guy. they could probably manage to get a 2nd and a 3rd but more likely a 4th for that 1st 22nd overall

The thing is, you can spin any NCAA player negatively. Well Bush ran behind USC's o-line, so it wasn't really him doing the work, same with lendale white. Matt Lienhart was on USC, best team in the nation up until the rose bowl, blah blah blah. You can make a case that every player's stats are "padded", but only time will tell. And personally, i'd put my $ on Jacobs, his best quality being his decision-making, look how few INTs he is throwing, he is judicious with the pigskin. I wish we had a 3rd to use, but we have more pressing needs to use the 2nd rounder on.(As much as i'd love to have him here, and I would.)

Whoever gets him is going to get a steal, he is a 1st round calibur QB.

Quote Originally Posted by The|Snake#16
    Whoever gets him is going to get a steal, he is a 1st round calibur QB.
    Irish, what is everyone else seeing that you don't? Your credibility is shot as your 75% 25% stat was completely false. Bowling Green had 418 carries in 2005 with 411 passing attempts. In 2004 BG rushed the ball 432 times and threw 472 passes. That is a littler closer to your 75% - 25% assertion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]