View Poll Results: Who is our strongest competition in the West?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chargers

16 16.16%
  • Chiefs

81 81.82%
  • Raiders

2 2.02%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post What can stop us from taking the AFC WEST CROWN?

Which team in the West poses the most competition to us repeating as AFC West Champs:

Here's my take on each teams strengths and weaknesses

Kansas City
    Strengths
    Offensively: With Willie Roaf, Brian Waters, Casey Wiegmann, John Welbourn, and Will Shields staying on board, their line will continue its dominance. The bad news is LJ has the talent to perform with a weak line, and under the strong KC five, he will have a great yr. Likely be among the league leaders in yards, and TD's. LJ rushed for 1351 yards over the last 9 weeks of the year. Thats an avg of over 150 yds per game. They will continue to cater to LJ, and try to dominate via the run game. But Trent Green is no pushover, though advancing in age, he continues his stellar performances, with a QB rating over 90, and 4000 yards last yr. TE has been their marquis receiving position for a number of years with Tony G continuing to play at a pro bowl level. Last yr was another great yr by Gonzo, where he had over 900 yds, though was not used in the red zone as frequently as he previously was, and finished with only 2 TDs.
    Defensively: I do not see too many strengths, though Jared Allen had a great yr for them, with 11 sacks. Derrick Johnson is young, and with further experience may develop into a rock in the middle of their D.
    Weaknesses:
    Offensively: They are going to be tough to beat. The only knock is their WR's are below par. Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker do not exactly inspire fear in the hearts of many cornerbacks. Though Eddie is capable of the occasional inspired effort, overall it is a weak WR corps. There is not great depth behind these 2 either.
    Defensively: They continue to need help. Their D line, Ryan Sims has been somewhat of a bust for a former 1st rder (#6 pick). LB wise, Johnson had an relatively solid 1st yr, but the Kendrell Bell addition was somewhat of a bust, as he was supposed to bring big play ability to the D. He ended up with 41 tackles, 1 FF, and 0 ints. In the secondary, Surtain is a capable starter, but Dewayne Washington should be a nickle corner. Greg Wesley at FS should also be upgraded.

Da Raiders
    Strengths:
    What strengths? Kidding. But the team is somewhat of a mess, though they have a few stars in their midst. The WR corps is strong and deep in Oak. With Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, and Doug Gabriel they definitely have talent at catching the ball. Lamont Jordan had a very nice first yr in Oakland, and is young enough to expect further development.
    Weaknesses:
    Offensive: While I focused on their strength at catching the ball, unfortunately no one told them they need someone equally qualified at throwing the ball. If Aaron Brooks is the answer, the quesiton is defintiely not name a QB who can bring this team back to contention. It is evident from his time that Brooks is not a leader, and cannot be counted on to provide stability inthe QB slot. In an unstructured environment like Oaklands, I expect little out of him.
    Defensive: This team is a mess defensively. I dont have the time to fill in all the holes they do, and unfortunately for them, neither does Art Shell.

San Diego
    Strengths
    Offensively: This team has one of the premier RB's in the NFL. LT is a horse, and will have another great yr, even with their QB uncertainty. I expect him to have a year as he did in 2003 where he caught 100 balls. He will be used often, and effectively as an outlet for young Phillip Rivers. The secondary outlet for Rivers will be the next strongest piece on Chargers board, Antonio Gates. He has been a revelation for them, and will continue to perfrom, often as a safety valve for Rivers.
    Defensively: They have some great young pieces in Merriman, and Castillo. If they continue to improve, that defense will really shape up into something. Merriman has a high ceiling, and unfortunatley it looks like he may well be on his way to reaching it. Donnie Edwards has been a captain of this team, and has used his 10 years of experience to QB this defense.
    Weaknesses:
    Offensively: Phillip Rivers is the great unknown. Unfortunately this weakness may quickly turn out to be a strength, as he was very highly rated coming out of college, being the #4 pick overall. He has had 2 years to learn the offense and may settle in quicker than we are used too. But for now, he has to represent a downgrade from Brees at the very least for the short term. The WRs in San Diego as well have to listed as weakness with Mccardell getting long in the tooth with his 14 yrs in the NFL. Many here were high on Vincent Jackson, but he has yet to have the opportunity to show his talent, but may do it this yr as his competition is Eric Parker, who can be replaced. Together these 3 added up to 1700 yards receiving last yr.
    Defensively:
    They have a solid defense intact. The main areas that need improvement include CB, as both CB's hsould be bumped down one notch. Jammer best suited to play a #2 WR, and Florence as a nickelback. The secondary in general is not a strength as their safety combo of Clint Hart, and Bhawoh Jue could be improved as well.

So thats my take, with my list of the most likely things stopping us from repeating
    1. KC
    2. SD
    3. NFL owners changing their minds and deciding to have a lockout
    4. Raiders

ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    Last edited by ydave77; 04-03-2006 at 08:21 PM.

I really think the chiefs,They are starting to scare me, also maybe in a couple of years the chargers once rivers developes.
    *edit* oh i forgot the raiders,ummmm they will suck again.
    [IMG]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3604/poweroverspeedsig9by.jpg[/IMG]

Ok guess this was a waste of time. Should we just change it into a are we going to trade up for vernon davis thread? There defintiely arent enough of those.

KC... they are the only other team besides the Broncos returning last years starting QB. Not to mention they have a good running game.

KC for sure. I will laugh though if Larry Johnson starts wearing diapers again. The are talking about getting rid of the Preist. If they do could we use him?
    [url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=the+hebrew+hammer]The Hebrew Hammer's DVD Collection[/url]

Reggie Bush IR watch-( 5 mins into practice and he pulls up lame.)

What will happen when he gets hit by the men in practice.

communism has only killed 100 million people. Let's give it another chance.

I don't really see any competition, Denver just has to avoid shooting themselves in the foot like usual.

SD-We swept them last year, Marty caves in big games.
    KC-new head coach to adjust to
    Raiders-always suck, Al Davis ruins this team.

Other than that, the AFC West shouldn't be much of a challenge.
    I see the Broncos winning the AFC West 5 years in a row.
    Last edited by Buffalo118; 04-04-2006 at 03:50 PM.

I think KC. Both Larry Johnson and Herman Edwards (To a lesser extent) scare me. Now if they can shore up their defense (They seem to have a mental block for that kind of thing) then they'll be scary.

But its hard to tell until the draft and training camp. We've got a long way to go. At least the Faiders are in their permanent rebuilding plan....
    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Kill Logic
    KC for sure. I will laugh though if Larry Johnson starts wearing diapers again. The are talking about getting rid of the Preist. If they do could we use him?
    To injury prone.

KC has the horses, line, TE and QB. The new coach could cause issues. Look for them to be tough. Not sure about the defense although taht is his forte.

SAN has talent coming out the Kazooo. But they should have after sucking for all those years. They have major dissent in the FO, would be surprised if they are not 6-10 this years with a new coach near or at the end season. Marty ball chokes again in SAN just like it did in CLE and KC.

OAK has the WR in the AFCW. But that is all the franchise should be disbanded and players allocated to the rest of the AFCW first. Then inside the conference.

They don't have a QB, their O line sucks, their defense is grossly overpaid! In fact they should work for nothing and maybe even pay for their parking spaces.

raiderjoe has committed hairyscary! Can hardly wait till the draft to see what crap if brings forth.

DEN has been quietly doing what they need to do it get to the next step.

Honestly, I don't think there is any team in the AFC West that pose a threat to us, in terms of taking the division.

The Chargers have 1 main passing threat, that'd be Gates, McCardell isn't someone to really worry about. Also, their secondary is suspect, no one jumps out and says "i'm going to stop whoever you put me against". That, and of course they have Rivers, who hasn't proven a thing yet.

The Cheifs have a running game, and if they have Trent Green their passing game will do pretty good. But as usual, their defense is crap.

The Raiders, well they're the Raiders. Seriously, the only connection that could be dangerous is Brooks, I think he is better than many give him credit for, but still it won't be enough. LaMont Jordan had a great 1st season? It took him like 4,400 carries just to break the 1,000 yard mark, he isn't anything special.

We are an all around team, Great QB, our running game is never a question lately, Rod will do what he does, our o-line is amazing, our secondary will probably be one of the best next year, our d-line needs sacks, but they do well against the run, and our lb core is probably the best in the league. I really don't see any glaring holes on our team besides DE.

LOL!!! OMG!!! Someone picked the Raiders....HAHAHAHAHA.......Pick self up off floor, and wipe away tears. Thanks for the laugh.

...you beat KC the same way you beat Denver stop the run
    [SIGPIC]wowser[/SIGPIC]

the chefs, theyre o-line is getting old but they will be good for another couple years. trent green isnt gonna win any superbowls unless larry carries him on his back but trent is a good qb. Theyll contend again next season

Chiefs will give us the most competition or one other thing that was not mentioned in the poll.

I think the problem and maybe a help to others in our division will be our Schedule.

Depending which games are away games and which games are home games. Can we play as well as we have in our away games as we did last year?

What if we have two or three in a row away tough team games and the rest of our division has all the tough teams at home and the easy teams away. How will that play out with our competition.

So our biggest competition could be the schedule. We will soon find out.

Of course it might be ourselves to depending on how we do on our first few games and of course injury will also play a big part in this also.
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12