Shanny the GM: Questionable Acquisitions?

A lot of different media sources at different times speak about the Broncos and Mike Shanahan (some louder than others) as a team that takes on character risk players, aka "turds" in order to build the team. Some have worked out and some have not, but the Broncos are often mentioned as a possible destination when certain players are discussed.

Many of us have voiced our opinions on such moves, and there has definitely been differing opinions. However, I want to look at these acquisitions by Shanny and Co. in a different light, besides our typical debate on whether or not Shanny was right to take the chance on an individual, or on character risk players in general.

We know the list, Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Maurice Clarett, Gerard Warren, Todd Sauerbrun, etc. And there have been others who haven't been as much "character risks" but have been an injury risk, or have been players who have washed out of the league prematurely, i.e. Bertrand Berry.

We can debate until we're blue in the face about whether or not each chance should have been taken, or whether the next guy is worth the risk. And Shanny will ALWAYS be questioned. He's won some and he's lost some.

TODAY, I want to look at the fact that, I'm thankful Shanny does this. Why? you may ask. Well, I respect the fact that Mike Shanahan is willing to give guys a chance to change their path. Not only does he take risks, but he holds players to a VERY HIGH level of ACCOUNTABILITY and tries to put them in a situation where they can succeed and leave their previous "labels" behind. I really respect this, because God knows I need grace in life too. I like the fact that Shanny puts his butt on the line, hoping it will benefit the team, but also to give a guy an opportunity to change his stripes if you will.

An upcoming example, Marcus Vick. I have no animosity towards Vick or anything like that, and I know he's blown it a NUMBER of times. But who decides when a guy is on his last leg? I have been very against the Broncos selecting Vick in the mid rounds of the draft, but you know what, I think I've changed my stance some. Now, I wouldn't push for the pick, but I wouldn't blast it either. Someone has to give him a chance, someone who has his best interests at heart within the concept of the team, otherwise he may never have the opportunity to get his life turned around.

Again, I'm not pushing for the selection of Marcus Vick, he's just an example, but I hope he goes to someone who will truly try and give him the best opportunity possible to fulfill his potential as a person and as a player.

Regardless of some of the mistakes like Clarett, Gardener, D. Carter, etc. I really like the fact that Shanny goes out of his way to give guys a firm foundation to re-place their feet on, and I think Shanny and Co. deserve some props for that. It goes beyond the football field, and it comes down to the fact that Shanahan, despite his many faults, like we all have, has helped individuals have a strong, professional, sturdy foundation to put their feet on so they could try to start anew, and when they make changes in their life, it generally translates to the field and helps the team, and vice versa.

So Shanny, THANK YOU! I appreciate the fact that you don't just take on "turds," but that you are a man of second chances and along with Pat Bowlen, etc. have been willing to build an organization that helps players and PEOPLE to succeed even while others dub them "turds."

Anyway, just a different thought on Shanny's being prone to "take a risk." Here's to it working out for many more PEOPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by jletourneau
    A lot of different media sources at different times speak about the Broncos and Mike Shanahan (some louder than others) as a team that takes on character risk players, aka "turds" in order to build the team. Some have worked out and some have not, but the Broncos are often mentioned as a possible destination when certain players are discussed.

Many of us have voiced our opinions on such moves, and there has definitely been differing opinions. However, I want to look at these acquisitions by Shanny and Co. in a different light, besides our typical debate on whether or not Shanny was right to take the chance on an individual, or on character risk players in general.

We know the list, Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Maurice Clarett, Gerard Warren, Todd Sauerbrun, etc. And there have been others who haven't been as much "character risks" but have been an injury risk, or have been players who have washed out of the league prematurely, i.e. Bertrand Berry.

We can debate until we're blue in the face about whether or not each chance should have been taken, or whether the next guy is worth the risk. And Shanny will ALWAYS be questioned. He's won some and he's lost some.

TODAY, I want to look at the fact that, I'm thankful Shanny does this. Why? you may ask. Well, I respect the fact that Mike Shanahan is willing to give guys a chance to change their path. Not only does he take risks, but he holds players to a VERY HIGH level of ACCOUNTABILITY and tries to put them in a situation where they can succeed and leave their previous "labels" behind. I really respect this, because God knows I need grace in life too. I like the fact that Shanny puts his butt on the line, hoping it will benefit the team, but also to give a guy an opportunity to change his stripes if you will.

An upcoming example, Marcus Vick. I have no animosity towards Vick or anything like that, and I know he's blown it a NUMBER of times. But who decides when a guy is on his last leg? I have been very against the Broncos selecting Vick in the mid rounds of the draft, but you know what, I think I've changed my stance some. Now, I wouldn't push for the pick, but I wouldn't blast it either. Someone has to give him a chance, someone who has his best interests at heart within the concept of the team, otherwise he may never have the opportunity to get his life turned around.

Again, I'm not pushing for the selection of Marcus Vick, he's just an example, but I hope he goes to someone who will truly try and give him the best opportunity possible to fulfill his potential as a person and as a player.

Regardless of some of the mistakes like Clarett, Gardener, D. Carter, etc. I really like the fact that Shanny goes out of his way to give guys a firm foundation to re-place their feet on, and I think Shanny and Co. deserve some props for that. It goes beyond the football field, and it comes down to the fact that Shanahan, despite his many faults, like we all have, has helped individuals have a strong, professional, sturdy foundation to put their feet on so they could try to start anew, and when they make changes in their life, it generally translates to the field and helps the team, and vice versa.

So Shanny, THANK YOU! I appreciate the fact that you don't just take on "turds," but that you are a man of second chances and along with Pat Bowlen, etc. have been willing to build an organization that helps players and PEOPLE to succeed even while others dub them "turds."

Anyway, just a different thought on Shanny's being prone to "take a risk." Here's to it working out for many more PEOPLE.
    Excellent post (as I have grown to expect from you), jlet.

I can, however, sense bashers of this thread circling............
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Quote Originally Posted by keithbishop
    Excellent post (as I have grown to expect from you), jlet.

I can, however, sense bashers of this thread circling............
    Well, I'm not going to bash. I actually agree with the poster. There's a few ways to build a franchise and the Broncos love to take chances on FA's and hit or miss draft picks. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't (eheem Clarrett...eheem). The Chargers go all out with the draft, 17 of their 22 starters were either taken from the draft or undrafted free agents. I thought the Chargers should have been a little more active in FA this year but, hey, we build from the draft!

I'll take Shanny's questionable picks any day over any of Millen's picks in Detroit. Someday, the Lions will get an owner who really cares about football, insead of owning a team so he can say he owns a team. Then maybe they can get a general manager in who will get some players who can protect a qb, instead of having a revolving door policy at the qb and head coach position.
    [img]http://img228.exs.cx/img228/9818/michbroncofansigpic7bh.jpg[/img]
    made by snk16

also, Shanahan takes flyers on guys who have TALENT and also possible character / injury issues, now injuries some of that you can put down to bad luck, character issues has a lot to deal with maturity and I find that there are a lot of guys coming out of college early and some of those have great levels of talent but the maturity isnt there yet and Shanahan is willing to take a chance and put their character issues down to lack of maturity during the first few years and also, denver is renowned around the league for its solid locker room, good solid vets who are mostly all squeaky clean and putting guys who maybe could be easily led astray in such an environment only serves to get the best out of those guys and get them to perform to very high levels

as for the fact that some of these risks do not work out, if they all worked out 100% of the time, they wouldnt be risks then, and of course risks usually come with lower price tags and and in the salary capped NFL today personnel departments all around the league are always looking for bargain players who can contribute and play
    [SIZE="4"]Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK[/SIZE]
    [URL="http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk"]http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk[/URL]

I adopt [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Erica Weston[/COLOR]

Yes, good post and you made some great points. I can't help but think of the article and interview earlier this week about David Terrell. He's a perfect example of what we're talking about here. A kid who came into a bit of money and screwed around a bit more than he concentrated on football in Chicago. Shanahan took a chance on him, sat him all year long last year, and David Terrell seems to have taken the attitude, "Wow someone trusts me and wants my talents, I'm going to work hard to earn a starting job in Denver."

I will also say that we're so successful for years running, that the only way we're going to have a top ten draft pick on our team is to get them after they've washed out somewhere else.

Great post. True, some have been failures but some have worked. I'm also glad that Shanny isn't afraid to correct his mistakes. Carter, gone. Gardener, gone. Clarett, gone. (I remember how many people claimed Clarett was a lock to make the team because of Shanny's pride.)

He doesn't hold on to the boneheads just to save face. He admits his mistake, fixes it, and moves on. Good job, Mike!
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"