Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Trading the 22nd pick sucks!!!!

You know I am a hardcore Bronco fan. I have followed every year since I was a little boy and this is the second time I am absolutely dumbfounded by a move. We gave away team leader Treavor Price and now we lose our best draft positions in years. With the 2 first round draft picks we could have gotten a couple of high impact players. Now we give our 22nd pick away for 2 lower rounds to pick role players. Don't get me wrong.... Role players make a championship, stick together through thick and thin, type of team. But what I truely believe is you must have a couple of superstar players.... ie Elway, Davis, Sharpe and then build around them to make an awesome team. That is what we have lacked since the big three left. I love all my broncos but lets be truthful... Rod Smith.. great player/no superstar, Jake Plummer.... good player/no superstar, Anderson, Bell, Dayne, Come on, great role players behind an awesome line/ no superstars. Last year was awesome but there was some luck involved and Pitts beat us because they have a superstar in big ben. We really have not done a thing in free agency but keep a superstarless team together and now gave away our pick. Who will we get at them later picks that will put us over the top? I say noone. With the 15 and 22 pick the possibilities were there. What do we have now? Please show me that I am totally wrong. I do consider Champ Bailey a Superstar.

Reply..... 1st lets respond to a couple of you.... I am a bronco fan, this is not my first rodeo. I would not draft Lendale White in the first place and I hope we don't. Anyone remember Clarette? Also, I did not disagree with the Clinton/Champ trade or the "clevland castaways. I fully supported that because I do have faith in the coaching staff, although some of you forget that Kubiak is now gone. Also the whole offseason has been filled with talk of Terrell Owens, John Abraham, and many more players, even last week reading that Bret Farve was coming in place of Jake Plummer. Some of the deals were exciting to consider, Edgerran James, T.O. to name a few and nothing happened so I personally was really looking to the draft. And I don't doubt that there are diamonds in the rough that can turn into stars. Terrell Davis was the best kept secret and drafted in the 6th round. But for as many stars of the Broncos that have been found later on in the rounds there are just as many if not more who we never hear from again. So I hope this stops some of the hostility but after reading everyones post I still think the trade sucks and yes we should have waited til draft day to get more compensation for the picks. Also someone said that we only moved up 14 spots, so its no big deal. Well tell that to Kubiak and see if he'll give up #1 for #14..... Go Broncos
    Last edited by davidrv; 04-19-2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: replying

Quote Originally Posted by davidrv
    You know I am a hardcore Bronco fan. I have followed every year since I was a little boy and this is the second time I am absolutely dumbfounded by a move. We gave away team leader Treavor Price and now we lose our best draft positions in years. With the 2 first round draft picks we could have gotten a couple of high impact players. Now we give our 22nd pick away for 2 lower rounds to pick role players. Don't get me wrong.... Role players make a championship, stick together through thick and thin, type of team. But what I truely believe is you must have a couple of superstar players.... ie Elway, Davis, Sharpe and then build around them to make an awesome team. That is what we have lacked since the big three left. I love all my broncos but lets be truthful... Rod Smith.. great player/no superstar, Jake Plummer.... good player/no superstar, Anderson, Bell, Dayne, Come on, great role players behind an awesome line/ no superstars. Last year was awesome but there was some luck involved and Pitts beat us because they have a superstar in big ben. We really have not done a thing in free agency but keep a superstarless team together and now gave away our pick. Who will we get at them later picks that will put us over the top? I say noone. With the 15 and 22 pick the possibilities were there. What do we have now? Please show me that I am totally wrong. I do consider Champ Bailey a Superstar.
    I can see all the replys to this thread already....

Quote Originally Posted by denverownraider
    I can see all the replys to this thread already....
    yup, all 2 of them

<- Ready for the salute
    Even though I am repling I am not really going to reply

Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, Ian Gold and Domonique Foxworth were all 2nd round picks. You can get more than just role players in round two.

ok slight reply.... they only moved back like 14 spots. dont fret its not that big of a deal.

With the 2 first round draft picks we could have gotten a couple of high impact players. Now we give our 22nd pick away for 2 lower rounds to pick role players. Don't get me wrong.... Role players make a championship, stick together through thick and thin, type of team. But what I truely believe is you must have a couple of superstar players.... ie Elway, Davis, Sharpe and then build around them to make an awesome team.
    The #22 pick in the draft is nowhere near certain to be a superstar in the NFL. And of the 3 guys you mentioned, Elway was the only first rounder and he was the #1 overall pick. There is a HUGE dropoff in potential star power between the top 5 picks and picks in the twenties.

Please look back at the #22 picks in recent history and tell me how many of them are the superstars you're looking for. There are some quality players but there are quality players also in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I think we actually increased our chances of picking up good players simply by virtue of having more relatively high picks.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBrian
    Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, Ian Gold and Domonique Foxworth were all 2nd round picks. You can get more than just role players in round two.
    domonique foxworth was actually a third rounder, you were looking for darrent williams, who was a 2nd rounder last year

and i think we actually got the good end of the move here, SF's 2nd and 3rd is near the top of the rounds and gives us a third and as for the dropoff in talent, its minimal from 22nd to top of the second, so i think it puts us in a good position to get our guys
    [SIZE="4"]Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK[/SIZE]
    [URL="http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk"]http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk[/URL]

I adopt [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Erica Weston[/COLOR]

Don't call yourself a Denver FAN!

Whether you like the trade or not, let me remind you that Mr. Shanahan took us to the AFC Championship last year. The trade with Portis and Champ everyone disagreed and the Cleveland Browns DEís last year everyone was upset about? Címon people!?!? How do you question what he is doing after he proved everyone wrong over and over again. Like you know more about the players in this year draft than the best coach in the league and all his scoutsÖ.

It would take 2 losing seasons before I would start questioning Shanahan and thatís what you guys should be doing too.

Its a little early to say this trade "SUCKS".Show a little patience and see how everything unfolds before getting so down on it.

My only Problem with this trade is we might have gotten better value if we delt the pick on Draft day when a player anther team really wanted fell to the 22nd pick. But I will hold judgement till after the Draft.

So let me get this straigh having a Super Star makes a team a winner. Ok... Mike Vick must have won tons of Super Bowls then. He is the #1 selling jersey and is a Super Star. Hmmmm.... I guess Super Stars don't win Super Bowls. Big Ben is a Super Star? Last I saw he Super Sucked in the Super Bowl. His ex teamates bailed him out. Did the Patriots win only because of Tom Brady? Nope.

I was a little disappointed at first, but then I thought "Hey, SF has an early rd 2 pick and we get a 3rd too". Even though its not the greatest trade in the world its still a pretty good one. We have the main starters in place and just need role players who will do the hard work and make the plays others won't. The other good side is that we save money against the cap. The bad part is I think it almost eliminates our chances of trading up to get VD, but maybe Shanny realized he wouldn't be able to after trying so hard and liked some players in the 2nd and 3rd better.

I totally agree with Dubsu because year after year Shanny makes questionable moves and year after year he proves people wrong. So I am going to wait and see what happens and see how it plays out.

I think the questio now becomes: Who do we draft with the 15th pick?
    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3...eyesig3ba6.jpg

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuckeye

I think the questio now becomes: Who do we draft with the 15th pick?

we trade up for bunkley or ngata.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

You did see that "superstar" Ben's numbers in the Super Bowl didn't you? The Steelers, like the Broncos are a blue collar team. Then make things happen with what they have. "We" can't show you anything, as we know about as much as you do.....Have some faith....I'm sure the Broncos know what they are doing. A week til draft weekend, all questions will be answered then.
    Ready for the friggen season already!

I will be nice.....

I first want to adress the comment you made about us losing to "big Ben the superstar".......... Big Ben is not yet a superstar, and furthermore, we were beat by a defense that was relentless. They could have had Kordell, or Tommy Maddox, or Ryan Leaf, for that matter, playing QB. They still would have beat us.

Secondly, there are financial ramifications to havint 2 first round picks. As we always struggle to stay under the cap. it may not have been in Denver's best interest to have 2 first round picks, especially if they were not enamored by anyone that may be available at 22.

How do you know that Ron Dayne is not going to be a superstar? He played pretty well for us. Also, Trevor was not worth the money we were paying him, anymore. The only way to justify keeping him around for that much, would be if he were to move back to DT, and play extremly well. But with Warrens contract, how much do you want to spend at 1 position?

Here is another thought......... Lendale White could very well slip into the second round....and we may be interested. The guy is injured, and did not do well at the combine, or at his pro day work out......So.......why draft him in round one...and pay him first round money...if he may end up falling to you in round 2?