Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lelie Update

Drop the value? Yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    I don't think he sucks! I LIKE Lelie! It's the other teams GMs who think he sucks and won't offer anything more than a used condom for him!

Personally, until this latest fiasco when Shanahan gave up on Lelie and went shopping for T.O. and Javon and was about to (apparently) use his #15 pick on a WR, I was holding out hope that Lelie would get his S*** together this year and become the WR we all thought he would be when he was drafted.

I gave up on Lelie being any good when I realized that Shanahan didn't think Lelie was ever going to develop. Shany knows about 1000 times more about Lelie than I do.

In fact I posted this several weeks ago BEFORE the news broke about Lelie being pimped around the league for a 2nd round pick:

Turns out I CAN read between the lines! Shanny was being very subtle and didn't rip Lelie publicly while reviewing the video tape, but I just got the feeling from the way he contrasted Rod's performance with Lelie's that he was disappointed in Lelie.

Well, that show was about the middle of last season, and clearly I was right! He just gave up on Lelie and is looking for his replacement.
    About when he became the 3rd read by Jake on the plays called by Mikey.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuckeye
    Hey, Tracker. What do you think of the trade we just made with you guys? and what do you think/hope the 49ers will do with the pick?
    I think it was a very solid trade for both teams.

As for what I would like. There of course are a ton of scenarios that could play out based on what GB and the Jets do, but I would like to see us get Vernon Davis at #6 and then get the best 3-4 pass rusher on the board at #22.

Smith needs weapons and we had a less than effect pass rush to begin with. With the loss of Peterson and Carter we need some serious help in that department. As far as I am concerned with the exception of if there is a solid Center or some sleeper WR prospects to pick up as we move thought the draft, after Davis I think we should go all Defenses.
    [IMG]http://denrick.eqwolf.com/GOREtac.jpg[/IMG]
    [B]Tracker[/B] - Bleeding Red and Gold till the day I die.

Draft week deals still possibility

By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post NFL, Broncos Beat Reporter

Denver has become one of the most trade-happy teams in the NFL in the past two years. With the draft six days away, the Broncos might not be done trading.

Denver, which has dealt four first-round picks in the past three drafts, swapped its No. 22 pick last week to San Francisco for second- and third-round picks. The Broncos, who still have the 15th overall pick, have four selections in the first 68, the most of any team. While Denver no longer has the bargaining power of two first-round picks, it has great flexibility.

Expect more deals. General manager Ted Sundquist said the Broncos could go in any direction.

"We could do anything, and that's the truth," Sundquist said. "Usually at this point, I have a feel where it's going to go. I have no idea right now. ... We can do anything. It's great."

The team has been in preliminary trade talks with several teams the past couple of weeks and likely will spend this week in "what if" talks. And there are plenty of what ifs.

Denver can package and try to get another first-round pick. It can move down from No. 15 while staying in the first round and get more first-day picks.

It also could be interested in making a trade for a veteran player. The Broncos have been in talks with Green Bay about receiver Javon Walker and with Detroit about quarterback Joey Harrington. If either player is traded - and Denver has plenty of competition for both - it likely will happen this week.

To get Walker, Denver likely would have to offer a second-round pick or perhaps package receiver Ashley Lelie and a midround pick. The Lions likely would require a low-round pick for Harrington.

Receiving offers

If Lelie is traded, it likely will be this week. The Broncos are trying to accommodate his request. San Francisco vice president of player personnel Scott McCloughan told local reporters Friday that Broncos officials called him last week about Lelie, but as of now the price is too high. It's believed the Broncos are looking for a first-day pick in exchange.

If Lelie isn't traded, don't expect him to stay away from the team as a holdout. It would be career suicide for him to miss training camp if he is property of the Broncos. Lelie, who wants to be a No. 1 receiver, has one year left on his deal. He will likely leave at the end of the season if he isn't traded.

No matter what happens, don't expect Lelie to be at the team's offseason workout program in the final 12 weeks. But expect him to be with the team when the season starts.

Jets make noise

It was curious last week that the Jets asked Reggie Bush to participate in a short, impromptu workout along with former USC quarterback Matt Leinart. New York, which has the No. 4 overall pick, got to see the former teammates together again.

But why?

Perhaps New York is preparing to trade up three spots with Houston and take Bush. The Jets have needs at almost every position, so getting Bush - the best talent overall - wouldn't be a bad decision. However, the Jets shouldn't invest too much to get Bush. They should stay at No. 4 and take the best quarterback available, whether it's Leinart, Texas' Vince Young or Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler.

Trouble with Pacman

There are more troubling signs for Tennessee's Adam "Pacman" Jones, who was the sixth pick last year. Last week, a Nashville drug bust netted a suspect with alleged ties to the cornerback.

This is just the latest negative news surrounding Jones. He was involved with several off-field issues last year. He also had trouble on the field. Jones showed some promise as a return man, but the team drafted him primarily to play cornerback.

His lack of progress frustrated the team. If his off-field troubles continue, it could expedite his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker
    I think it was a very solid trade for both teams.

As for what I would like. There of course are a ton of scenarios that could play out based on what GB and the Jets do, but I would like to see us get Vernon Davis at #6 and then get the best 3-4 pass rusher on the board at #22.

Smith needs weapons and we had a less than effect pass rush to begin with. With the loss of Peterson and Carter we need some serious help in that department. As far as I am concerned with the exception of if there is a solid Center or some sleeper WR prospects to pick up as we move thought the draft, after Davis I think we should go all Defenses.
    Why would you want Vernon Davis with the #6 pick? Yes, he's likely to be another Antonio Gates, but wouldn't it be better for the Niners' to trade down and stockpile a BUNCH of picks in the later 1st and 2nd round?

They need about 5 or 6 good players right now, not 1 great one, especially on defense. They could improve a lot faster by doing that.

Especially, I can't understand why they don't trade that pick to some team that desparately wants Vince Young before the Raiders grab him at #7 or who really wants VD themselves.

The 49ers should have taken the Broncos offer of the #15 and #22 pick for their #6 pick. If they didn't want whoever was available at #15 (most likely a top CB, WR or RB), they could have traded back again to later in the 1st round and stockpiled even more picks. This is a deep draft and S.F. has less talent than almost anyone in the league. They probably should have gotten the #1 pick, but for some meaningless late season wins that denied them the top draft spot.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Why would you want Vernon Davis with the #6 pick? Yes, he's likely to be another Antonio Gates, but wouldn't it be better for the Niners' to trade down and stockpile a BUNCH of picks in the later 1st and 2nd round?

They need about 5 or 6 good players right now, not 1 great one, especially on defense. They could improve a lot faster by doing that.

Especially, I can't understand why they don't trade that pick to some team that desparately wants Vince Young before the Raiders grab him at #7 or who really wants VD themselves.

The 49ers should have taken the Broncos offer of the #15 and #22 pick for their #6 pick. If they didn't want whoever was available at #15 (most likely a top CB, WR or RB), they could have traded back again to later in the 1st round and stockpiled even more picks. This is a deep draft and S.F. has less talent than almost anyone in the league. They probably should have gotten the #1 pick, but for some meaningless late season wins that denied them the top draft spot.

Should they have taken the deal? Absolutely. According to the value board, it would have been a very good deal for the Niners, but there is a reason why they are constantly and consistantly picking in the top ten. They make dumb mistakes and think that they are better and closer than they really are. They had the first pick last year and should've had it this year. For a team that has more holes in it than my underwear, they should try to fill as many as possible. And if it were my choice, I'd prolly prefer to fill those holes with first round draft choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    I hope no way takes the offer. I want Lelie playing for Denver in 2006-2007 season.

I'm with you, E. Not ready to see Lelie go, just yet.

I guess I'm of the mindset that you should try hard to work through your differences, instead of taking the easy way out: giving up so quickly and pulling the plug - from the points of view of both the player and the management.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    Should they have taken the deal? Absolutely. According to the value board, it would have been a very good deal for the Niners, but there is a reason why they are constantly and consistantly picking in the top ten. They make dumb mistakes and think that they are better and closer than they really are. They had the first pick last year and should've had it this year. For a team that has more holes in it than my underwear, they should try to fill as many as possible. And if it were my choice, I'd prolly prefer to fill those holes with first round draft choices.
    That's really true! I can't understand all those 49ers fans going wild about Vernon Davis! Yes, he'll be good, but the team will still suck.

Take a look at S.D. to see a team that drafts great! Last year they got:

1st round
    #12 DE/OLB Shawne Merriman (boy does that look like a great pick! He was an instant success!)
    #28 DT Luis Castillo (another outstanding value pick)

2nd round
    #61 WR Vincent Jackson

That's three outstanding talents in the top 2 rounds.

If the niners did something like this it would almost overnight improve their team from abysmal to mediocre.

And, with the #6 pick, they could actually have traded down and accumulated at least 3 first round picks and 2 second rounders (overall -- with their other 1st rounder they got from Denver)! If they draft properly that would mean at least 5 impact players (mostly on defense).

Instead, now they will get 2.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamunmun
    AMEN to THAT!

but on a different note: if Lelie does stay, how good do you nay-sayers think he will do? This is just meant for fun purposes.
    I think he will really suck like usual.

[QUOTE=ManoRodriquez]By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post NFL, Broncos Beat Reporter

"Denver has become one of the most trade-happy teams in the NFL in the past two years. With the draft six days away, the Broncos might not be done trading."

I wonder if the Redskins, would give up 2 first "future" rounders to be in this years "first round" draft? I'd hate to be a Redskin fan.
    Last edited by Buffalo118; 04-23-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo118
    I think he will really suck like usual.
    I still think Ash made progress toards the end of last season. He gained some serious confidence, (he wants to be a #1 now). If we could keep him, and keep him happy; I'd be fine w/that. If he has to go, then by all means let him go. Can't realy say I blame him, after how much he's been hammered in the media. Do I think he's ready to be a primary target though? HELL NO. Bring on Javon, and let Ash do what he's gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1
    I still think Ash made progress toards the end of last season. He gained some serious confidence, (he wants to be a #1 now). If we could keep him, and keep him happy; I'd be fine w/that. If he has to go, then by all means let him go. Can't realy say I blame him, after how much he's been hammered in the media. Do I think he's ready to be a primary target though? HELL NO. Bring on Javon, and let Ash do what he's gotta do.
    You have more patience than I do, that's for sure.

Fair question although I think your assessment of the 49ers talent pool is a bit off.

The 49ers W/L record is not an end all be all indicator of the teams over all talent. Yes the 49ers have holes but there are not as many as people think. There are a lot of young guys on the team who are getting better. Most should for into solid starters with the possibility of a couple becoming exceptional player. We have all of the “project guys” and back ups we need.

What the team lacks are “difference makers” not bodies. Many of the 49er losses last year were due to the fact that we had a young an ineffective offence and an O-line that was not gelling until the end of the year.

A huge factor on offence is out star TE was out and has some durability issues. The end result was that the defenses, (which are a solid D by the way) got stuck on the field for upwards of 40 min a game. Simple fact is they got wore out and we dropped a few close and not so close games.

By boosting our offence and by being able to sustain drives our defense is made better. In a draft that is thin on the O side of the line the logical choice is for the 49ers to grab Davis. He is the best fit at this time and will change how teams are forced to defend us. This should create mismatches and openings all over the field, thus opening up both the in the pass and run game.

A lot of the success we will have this season is predicated on Alex Smith showing some big improvements. If he makes the necessary strides, we can stay healthy and address some issue mentioned above. We will win our fair share of games. Are we playoff bound this year? Maybe, maybe not.

It is long season and teams who start out strong but can’t stay healthy end up with bad seasons to. As I see it, Nolan is putting in the necessary components to build for the long term. Once this is complete, and we start effectively replacing guys who retire or move on, the 49ers will be competitive every year for a very long time.
    [IMG]http://denrick.eqwolf.com/GOREtac.jpg[/IMG]
    [B]Tracker[/B] - Bleeding Red and Gold till the day I die.