Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Tony Scheffler

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    305

    Tony Scheffler

    TE TONY SCHEFFLER
    Just because the Broncos' final Saturday acquisition isn't widely known outside of southwest Michigan and the Mid-American Conference doesn't mean that the 6-foot-5 1/2 tight end doesn't come with some impressive credentials -- and the ability to contribute immediately.
    "I don't see why not," Sundquist said. "I think his receiving skills are as good as any tight end we've had around here in a long time, and that goes back to No. 84 (Shannon Sharpe). I'm not saying better than 84' I'm saying 'as good as.'
    "He's bigger than Vernon Davis. He's longer than Vernon Davis. They both weigh the same amount. He's got longer arms and bigger hands. His short-area quickness at the Combine -- he was first in three-cone, first in the corner shuttle, and first in the 20 shuttle. So you're talking about a guy who, athletically, is as good as Vernon Davis."
    And one who could be better now that he devotes his full year to football.
    "This guy played baseball in the spring and didn't go through spring ball, and baseball players -- as far as I know -- are not constantly in the weight room trying to build themselves up," Sundquist said. "The upside to me is unbelievable.
    "I think we were very fortunate to still have Scheffler there."
    And his acquisition brought a strong ending to a productive day.


    Link


    Not sure if this has been posted but I like what I see from this guy ?!?! .... if its been posted sorry for spamming ..... but hope yall enjoy it ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    I like the pick, and had we not made it some other team would have shortly.

    With as quick as TE's were coming off the board, he was one of the next in line with Pope and D. Byrd. Byrd had the injury issues and Pope probably wasn't as great of a fit. Originally, I thought we might look at Pope because I thought he might have a better foundation as far as blocking is concerned, but apparently Shanny was going after a pass catcher.

    I think the Scheffler pick will surprise a lot of people once he learns the system.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    1,120
    I would like to say that I called this kid a while ago.

    But enough gloating.

    I like his speed, I like his hands, and aparantly he impressed scouts in interviews.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing how a full year of football will bulk him up. No more baseball for him ^_^ .

    I heard somewhere that the kid actually has a pretty good arm too... I wonder if that means TE trick plays ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kay See Mo
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by ManoRodriquez
    TE TONY SCHEFFLER
    Just because the Broncos' final Saturday acquisition isn't widely known outside of southwest Michigan and the Mid-American Conference doesn't mean that the 6-foot-5 1/2 tight end doesn't come with some impressive credentials -- and the ability to contribute immediately.
    "I don't see why not," Sundquist said. "I think his receiving skills are as good as any tight end we've had around here in a long time, and that goes back to No. 84 (Shannon Sharpe). I'm not saying better than 84' I'm saying 'as good as.'
    "He's bigger than Vernon Davis. He's longer than Vernon Davis. They both weigh the same amount. He's got longer arms and bigger hands. His short-area quickness at the Combine -- he was first in three-cone, first in the corner shuttle, and first in the 20 shuttle. So you're talking about a guy who, athletically, is as good as Vernon Davis."
    And one who could be better now that he devotes his full year to football.
    "This guy played baseball in the spring and didn't go through spring ball, and baseball players -- as far as I know -- are not constantly in the weight room trying to build themselves up," Sundquist said. "The upside to me is unbelievable.
    "I think we were very fortunate to still have Scheffler there."
    And his acquisition brought a strong ending to a productive day.


    Link


    Not sure if this has been posted but I like what I see from this guy ?!?! .... if its been posted sorry for spamming ..... but hope yall enjoy it ?

    See my only problem with this article is that its form a Denver Bronco Website, meaning biased writers, and biased ideas. You need articles from nuetral sources.

    Because i actually dont believe much of the highlighted stuff because of the fact that Vernon Davis was up here _____









    and















    Tony Sheffler was down here _____
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

    ^^^Get used to it.^^^

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    You stalker.
    Posts
    10,977
    Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp
    See my only problem with this article is that its form a Denver Bronco Website, meaning biased writers, and biased ideas. You need articles from nuetral sources.

    Because i actually dont believe much of the highlighted stuff because of the fact that Vernon Davis was up here _____









    and















    Tony Sheffler was down here _____
    your just scared


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kay See Mo
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by TDforTatum26
    your just scared
    LOL, maybe i am :shake:

    And Maybe im not
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

    ^^^Get used to it.^^^

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp
    See my only problem with this article is that its form a Denver Bronco Website, meaning biased writers, and biased ideas. You need articles from nuetral sources.
    Notice the quotes...

    Besides, the information in those quotes is all factual anyways.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    3,233
    I've seen several websites that had Sheffler as the #6 TE in this draft behind Davis, Lewis, Fasano, Klopfentstien, and Pope. All of the aforementioned were gone by the time we picked at #61 except Pope who other teams obviously didn't have too high seeing as how he slipped to the 3rd round.

    I watched his video stuff on the yahoo draft board and he looks great as a receiver. He's bigger, stronger, faster, runs better routes, and has better hands than Putzier, (the guy he's replacing) and even though he's not a "strong blocker" he doesn't suck at it like Putz did either.

    I didn't know jack about him before the draft but I've done some research and to me, he looks just as good as Fasano or Klop, he just doesn't have the big-school pedigree. In his write up, they compared him to Wesley Walls - not too shabby.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kay See Mo
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Notice the quotes...

    Besides, the information in those quotes is all factual anyways.
    Noice either a Denver rep. or a Denver writer said that stuff

    So its still biased, thats like me pulling out an article talking about how good Bernard Pollard is and the article is written by Jason Whitlock, it is biased


    I dont doubt that Shffler might be the 6th best TE in the draft, but i dont agree with saying he is as good as Vernon Davis in all of those things
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

    ^^^Get used to it.^^^

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp
    Noice either a Denver rep. or a Denver writer said that stuff

    So its still biased, thats like me pulling out an article talking about how good Bernard Pollard is and the article is written by Jason Whitlock, it is biased
    "I don't see why not," Sundquist said. "I think his receiving skills are as good as any tight end we've had around here in a long time, and that goes back to No. 84 (Shannon Sharpe). I'm not saying better than 84' I'm saying 'as good as.'
    "He's bigger than Vernon Davis. He's longer than Vernon Davis. They both weigh the same amount. He's got longer arms and bigger hands. His short-area quickness at the Combine -- he was first in three-cone, first in the corner shuttle, and first in the 20 shuttle. So you're talking about a guy who, athletically, is as good as Vernon Davis."

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    I'll admit, it's tough to say that he's just as good overall as Davis. But, the combine numbers are right there in front or your eyes...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kay See Mo
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    "I don't see why not," Sundquist said. "I think his receiving skills are as good as any tight end we've had around here in a long time, and that goes back to No. 84 (Shannon Sharpe). I'm not saying better than 84' I'm saying 'as good as.'
    "He's bigger than Vernon Davis. He's longer than Vernon Davis. They both weigh the same amount. He's got longer arms and bigger hands. His short-area quickness at the Combine -- he was first in three-cone, first in the corner shuttle, and first in the 20 shuttle. So you're talking about a guy who, athletically, is as good as Vernon Davis."

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    I'll admit, it's tough to say that he's just as good overall as Davis. But, the combine numbers are right there in front or your eyes...
    Combines are one thing, yes maybe with no pressure or pads he did as good or better than Davis, but some people just turn it up in the game. The only Combine number i even look at are 10, 20, and 40 times... and thats just to get an idea of speed.

    Davis is known for getting speration, making great catches, and being explosive...
    I just dont see combine numbers making up for in-game experience
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

    ^^^Get used to it.^^^

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,708
    He did not run the 40 anywhere near what Davis did.

    I think we got, athletically, the second best TE in the draft. I do not think he is ready as a blocker and he is not as good all around and several of the other TEs on the board.

    but he will add another pass catching option and in the very near future he should be a real upgrade over Putzier.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kay See Mo
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by myoung
    He did not run the 40 anywhere near what Davis did.

    I think we got, athletically, the second best TE in the draft. I do not think he is ready as a blocker and he is not as good all around and several of the other TEs on the board.

    but he will add another pass catching option and in the very near future he should be a real upgrade over Putzier.
    See thats what i get out of him, and as if i was Denver with your run game i would want more of a blocking TE like Pope but Sheffler isnt a bad pick
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

    ^^^Get used to it.^^^

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    far away from you
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp
    See thats what i get out of him, and as if i was Denver with your run game i would want more of a blocking TE like Pope but Sheffler isnt a bad pick

    Leonard Pope's blocking is suspect; he's definitely more of a receiving TE as well. If you want a blocking TE, the best one in the draft was Anthony Fasano.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    13,488
    Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp
    Combines are one thing, yes maybe with no pressure or pads he did as good or better than Davis, but some people just turn it up in the game. The only Combine number i even look at are 10, 20, and 40 times... and thats just to get an idea of speed.

    Davis is known for getting speration, making great catches, and being explosive...
    I just dont see combine numbers making up for in-game experience
    Well, the one you are really arguing with is a GM in the NFL. You are correct that the performance on the field is what is important, but the factors and the figures cited by Sundquist all point to what a player can do on the field.

    There was another Davis who, if you considered only the times in the 10, 20, and 40, you would have rejected up front. I speak of one Terrell Davis. You just have to take allllll factors into consideration. Sunquist was hinting that the Broncos may have gotten the second best TE in the draft. I see no reason so far to disagree.

    -----

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •