Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Did Denver want Lienart or Cutler, just curious?

On draft day the Broncos tried to move up to the 8th spot where the Buffalo was picking and at that time Lienart and Cutler were available. It is no secret that Mike Shanahan and the Broncos had coveted Matt Lienart last year and were hoping the RedSkin pick would allow them to get him this year if Washington did bad, but unfortunately Washington won many game and did not give Denver the top ten pick but instead the 22nd. Of course through some terrific fanagling the Broncos were able to get the 15 pick, and as a result move to 11 and pick Jay Cutler.

So my question to you is who did the Broncos want when tried to move up to the 8th spot and let's say Buffalo gave them that pick, who would have they took?

Matt Lienart was touted as the next Joe Montana in many circles, who knows how good he really will be.

Some people think Cutler will be better than all of them, but who did the Broncos really want?
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Not sure. However, I think Denver (Shanny) got its man.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    Not sure. However, I think Denver (Shanny) got its man.
    Or like some people, they will never learn.

If he wanted Leinart, he probably wouldn't of traded up to the 11th spot. In such a deep draft, you wouldn't give away a 3rd rd pick for a backup plan.
    Go Huskers.

IMHO, Lienart would not have been a good fit for Denver at all. His lack of mobility and arm strength are 2 things that are needed for the Denver system.

I don't believe at all that Denver ever really seriously considered Lienart. Cutler was Shanahan's man.

Some people aregue Denver wanted to move into the top 5 for Lienat, but I believe it was Vernon Davis who they wanted there.

If there was no Cutler, Shanahan would not have drafted a QB at all in the first round.

There was a rumor that Denver was after Leinart then took Cutler after Leinart went off the board. I don't believe it. From what has come out of the FO, Cutler was their man all the way. When you look at their respective talents, Cutler is a far better fit, as Silk mentioned.

In fact, I may be entirely wrong, but I will not suffer a stroke if Leinart busts.

-----

Didn't both Shanny & Sunny say they were going for Maroney?

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    There was a rumor that Denver was after Leinart then took Cutler after Leinart went off the board. I don't believe it. From what has come out of the FO, Cutler was their man all the way. When you look at their respective talents, Cutler is a far better fit, as Silk mentioned.

In fact, I may be entirely wrong, but I will not suffer a stroke if Leinart busts.

-----
    Yeah, I heard the draft guys talking about it but never heard anything from the Broncos. For all we know, they were trying to get Cutler at #8 and we got lucky that the Bills turned us down so we gave up less value to trade up to #11. That could be why Shanny had such a big grin about the whole thing.

And you're entirely right that Cutler fits us a whole lot better than Leinart. It's no secret that I wanted a defensive tackle with that pick but if we were going to get a QB, I think Cutler was by far the QB that fit the Broncos the best. I'm not saying he was the best prospect overall of the three, but he was the best prospect for us.

I have to believe Shanny was targeting Cutler at #8 or else I would lose all faith in Shanny's sanity. (On a side note, I still think the Broncos were wanting Davis at #5 or #6 if they'd managed to trade up.)
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon
    Yeah, I heard the draft guys talking about it but never heard anything from the Broncos. For all we know, they were trying to get Cutler at #8 and we got lucky that the Bills turned us down so we gave up less value to trade up to #11. That could be why Shanny had such a big grin about the whole thing.

And you're entirely right that Cutler fits us a whole lot better than Leinart. It's no secret that I wanted a defensive tackle with that pick but if we were going to get a QB, I think Cutler was by far the QB that fit the Broncos the best. I'm not saying he was the best prospect overall of the three, but he was the best prospect for us.

I have to believe Shanny was targeting Cutler at #8 or else I would lose all faith in Shanny's sanity. (On a side note, I still think the Broncos were wanting Davis at #5 or #6 if they'd managed to trade up.)

Do you think this means that when Shanahan was trying to move up to the number 5 position that he was still targeting Cutler?
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak

Maroney went at 21 to the Patriots. If they wanted Maroney they would have taken him at 15 and stayed put.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak

They were going for Maroney until Cutler became possible.

Then they promptly refocused.

-----

I'm 100% convinced they wanted Cutler. While Buffalo was on the clock, it was reported that Denver wanted to trade up with them at #8 to grab Leinart. Aside from the reasons listed in the thread, here's the main why I think they wanted to trade up to #8 to grab Cutler, not Leinart. Detroit at 9th overall had already said Cutler was the top QB on their board. Denver feared that Detroit would take Cutler so they tried to jump in front of them. The trade fell through, Buffalo picked Whitner, Detroit picked Sims, and Denver knew Arizona would choose Leinart. So they traded up with St. Louis, in effect jumping in front of both St. Louis and Baltimore, in order to grab Cutler.
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChicken
    I'm 100% convinced they wanted Cutler. While Buffalo was on the clock, it was reported that Denver wanted to trade up with them at #8 to grab Leinart. Aside from the reasons listed in the thread, here's the main why I think they wanted to trade up to #8 to grab Cutler, not Leinart. Detroit at 9th overall had already said Cutler was the top QB on their board. Denver feared that Detroit would take Cutler so they tried to jump in front of them. The trade fell through, Buffalo picked Whitner, Detroit picked Sims, and Denver knew Arizona would choose Leinart. So they traded up with St. Louis, in effect jumping in front of both St. Louis and Baltimore, in order to grab Cutler.
    Good post. I can agree with this. This makes logical sense.

I know that Cutler is a better fit for the Broncos but I wanted to see it for myself. I also did not know Detroit was so high on Cutler either.

I along with the rest of you believe Cutler is the better fit here in Denver because of his mobility, arm strength and ability th thorw into tight spaces and while being rushed. He must have been something special to play like he did at Candy. Last night I was playing NCAA Football and I was Vanderbilt because I wanted to play with Cutler and I tell you his O-line is horrible. The longest run I was ever able to get was 5 yards and the rest of them were 2 or 2. His receivers aren't the best in the world either.

Anyway I think Cutler is the better fit because of what he brings to the table.
    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3...eyesig3ba6.jpg

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChicken
    That seems about right to me.

I don't recall where, but I've already read that Shanahan said Denver was one of the teams that had rated Cutler as the best quarterback in the draft. He fits Denver in many ways, so I find that easy to believe. I don't believe that Shanahan would have traded up in this deep draft and passed on a running back that he has said he expects to be one of the better ones in the league in Maroney and to disregard all of our positions of need if he didn't honestly have Cutler rated so high. It's possible that he had Leinart rated pretty high as well, but I don't think it's likely. I think that he had Cutler rated high enough to even trade up to the eighth spot in the draft to get him.

Remember, Shanahan has said that he recieved offers by other teams to trade back. He could have had perhaps another second rounder in this deep draft, by trading back. He had to rate Cutler very high to have given up that opportunity and to also give up a third rounder to move up and draft him at a position that isn't a need. There's no way we do that unless we see him as a rare prospect.

I just hope they're right.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .