Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    This guy is shying away from competition. No wonder shanny went and got Javon. Does he really think that some team is gonna bring him in and have him "compete for the 1" after seeing this? That just shows that he doesnt wanna work and he is doing himself no favors right now. You would think that he would be smart enough to realize that, but I guess not.
    http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1...ftstrazwm7.jpg

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Quote Originally Posted by RunByDesign
    We need a crybaby smiley.
    Here we go:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    The clown needs to show up, play out his contract, unless his agent can work a deal that DEN and ashley likes.

He signed a valid contract as a rookie, to play through 2007.

Somehow the last year is voided.

Play, get your money and hit the bricks at the EOY.

Strike whatever deal you can then.

If you don't play your value diminishes even more than it has already.

If your agent is not telling you this, sue the bastard for giving you bad advice.

If teams are not gonna give a #2 pick for you.

How much do you think you'll make in real dollars?

Although I think Lelie is out of his mind, I don't agree with the whole honor your contract thing. If Lelie completely sucked out of college and the Broncos decided they didn't want him anymore they could just cut him no questions asked. It happens all the time. The player shouldn't have to be any more loyal than the team. I wish Lelie would play for us next year, but if it can't be worked out I say trade him. I am not a fan of making him sit. If he won't play for the broncos just get rid of him. The quicker he is not a distraction the better. I have a feeling he will regret his decision though. Especially when he is a #2 receiver for a bad team and we are SuperBowl Champs.

Nobody will know if he can "play" or not until he goes to camp...............Even Lelie himself doesn't know for sure. Dayne was inactive for most of the season. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    Well it is the same thing he said in his last interview. He wants out of Denver. It is called having a dispute. I believe he has that right to dispute. I want him to stay in Denver, but that probably won't happen.

At the same time, Denver has Lelie under contract and expects him to come in and compete. When it is time to report, Lelie should honor his contract.

The one thing I like was he went to Mike Shanahan as a professional before all these things happened. He talked with Rod Smith about the situation. Rod supports him, but that doesn't mean Lelie is right. It just means the people on the inside knows this is a business.

The longer Lelie stays on the outside the worse this situation will become. Shanny needs to gain control of this situation and contact Lelie for a meeting. Shanahan needs to tell Lelie face to face to come in and compete or Shanny needs to tell Lelie he won't be playing in Denver anymore.

There's two sides to this issue. For the Broncos it will be to their best interest to have Lelie on the team for insurance. Javon hasn't recovered from that injury yet. As for Lelie, it would be in his best interest to get this situation done. Either come in and compete or be traded.

Just think two Javons.......... One wanted to leave GB to come to Denver and the other Ashley Jovon Lelie wants to leave Denver.
    This is just flat wrong! The only way the situations would be identical is if Plummer publicly criticized Ashlie and demanded that he return to camp. If he made numerous derrogatory statements in the media about Ashlie without once ever trying to talk to him privately.

And then if the Broncos organization not only never disavowed Plummer's public ripping of a teammate, but made similar statements to the press indicating they basically agreed with everything the QB said.

THEN and only then would Ashlie's situation be similar to Javon's.

Only none of that ever happened. Nobody on the Broncos ever criticized Ashlie at all. He's totally pouting and throwing a tantrum for no reason!

The Broncos brought in a WR and gave him all that money? So what? That's life in the NFL! Teams have the right to bring anyone in they want and they have NO obligation to be "fair" to the players already on the roster.

Six other teams tried to trade for Javon and every one of them had already established WRs already on their roster who would be displaced. Tough!

It's the NFL not some nursery league and nobody cares if you have hurt feelings because management concluded that another WR is better than you.

Ashlie can come in an do his job for a year and then take his chances in FA at the end of the season, or he can sit out. If he sits out, then he only hurts himself because teams will see him as a problem player and a whiner.

He's not remotely in the class or T.O. or even Javon where he can get away with the prima-donna routine.

Frankly, I think the Broncos will be just as well off with David Terrell as the #3 WR as they would have with Ashlie. We'll see, but I'm thinking that Terrell can do the #3 WR job as well as Ashlie could. The Broncos are a running team and don't use that many 3 WR sets anyway.

And on 3rd and long's the TE is usually a better target than the #3 WR anyway. I doubt that will change much.
    Last edited by Cugel; 05-09-2006 at 02:21 PM.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    This is just flat wrong! The only way the situations would be identical is if Plummer publicly criticized Ashlie and demanded that he return to camp. If he made numerous derrogatory statements in the media about Ashlie without once ever trying to talk to him privately.

And then if the Broncos organization not only never disavowed Plummer's public ripping of a teammate, but made similar statements to the press indicating they basically agreed with everything the QB said.

THEN and only then would Ashlie's situation be similar to Javon's.

Only none of that ever happened. Nobody on the Broncos ever criticized Ashlie at all. He's totally pouting and throwing a tantrum for no reason!

The Broncos brought in a WR and gave him all that money? So what? That's life in the NFL! Teams have the right to bring anyone in they want and they have NO obligation to be "fair" to the players already on the roster.

Six other teams tried to trade for Javon and every one of them had already established WRs already on their roster who would be displaced. Tough!

It's the NFL not some nursery league and nobody cares if you have hurt feelings because management concluded that another WR is better than you.

Ashlie can come in an do his job for a year and then take his chances in FA at the end of the season, or he can sit out. If he sits out, then he only hurts himself because teams will see him as a problem player and a whiner.

He's not remotely in the class or T.O. or even Javon where he can get away with the prima-donna routine.

Frankly, I think the Broncos will be just as well off with David Terrell as the #3 WR as they would have with Ashlie. We'll see, but I'm thinking that Terrell can do the #3 WR job as well as Ashlie could. The Broncos are a running team and don't use that many 3 WR sets anyway.

And on 3rd and long's the TE is usually a better target than the #3 WR anyway. I doubt that will change much.
    Is he really throwing a tantrum for no reason?

You realize walker is getting paid 8 million dollars right?

you dont pay 8 million dollars to a guy and make him a #3 WR, anybody with business sense knows that, and so does ashley.

Thats why he is mad, there is no way he can have a fair shot to compete for the #2 WR, because if he was the better receiver, denver would have to put walker as the #3, and have you ever in your life seen a #3 wr make 8 million dollars?

If lelie was supposed to honor his contract, why wasnt walker supposed to honor his, the broncomaniacs here seem to excuse walker for his holdout, only then did Farve say what he said, but the fact of the matter is he had already held out.

The double standard around here gets annoying
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Broncos Fans Sound Off About Ashley Lelie

Broncos Fans Sound Off About Ashley Lelie I am preferencing this with I am not sure if this has been posted or not. If it has then I will ask this thread to be merged. I have searched 3 pages and not found it but that does not mean I could have not missed the post.

Anyway this is what Denver people think of Ashley Lelie at this time:

May 9, 2006 2:05 pm US/Mountain

Broncos Fans Sound Off About Ashley Lelie
    Poll: Should Ashley Lelie be the Broncos No. 1 wide receiver?

Vic Lombardi
    Reporting

(CBS4) DENVER Wide receiver Ashley Lelie said last weekend in an interview with CBS4 Sports that he expects he would be forced into a non-starting role with the Denver Broncos next season. For that reason, he says he's hoping to play for a different team.

Below lie comments from CBS4 viewers and cbs4denver.com visitors about Lelie's interview.

Eric S. If he wants to go ... let him. I like Ashley and I think he has a lot of talent. But, to be honest, he hasn't done much with the Broncos. And it's not about playing time. When he's in the game, he doesn't make the big plays you would expect from a player with his speed. So he's fast ... but if he can't catch the ball, it doesn't matter. I would like to see him stay if he's willing to put in the work to be an All Pro player. But if all he's going to do it whine about playing time, then I wish him luck with a new team.

D. Nelson Perhaps if Mr. Lelie had the same work ethic as Rod Smith and was reliable in catching the ball, he would not be in the position he is. While he made some incredible catches last year, there was no consistency. I agree that he would be a No. 1 receiver on other teams, but in Denver we are lucky to have/had some great talent in that position. In the past 4 years he has not improved enough to be a starter. I would suggest that he put his time and effort into developing sure hands rather than rant and rave that he is the best wide receiver in the NFL.

Paul from Parker Ashley needs a reality check if he feels he is a No. 1 receiver. He needs to look around the league to see where that might be. Maybe he can be a No. 1 with Ricky Williams in the CFL.

Glen Leinbach: To quote Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind, "O-h-hh-h-h Ash-ley!" Ashley Lelie is acting like a diva while lacking the stats; an aging Rod Smith is still more productive, while Ashley makes the hard catches and misses the easy ones. He could take a lesson from Jake Plummer: Jake's response to the Jay Cutler draft has been to use the competition as motivation to improve his own performance. Trade Ashley, and get somebody at wideout motivated to play. The game doesn't owe you anything but a chance to prove yourself.

Sharon Hobson in Fort Collins Bottom line, the player doing his job should get the starting position. If they're both equal, then the *team* veteran should get the start. Lelie has been a great player for the Broncos and I hope he remains on the team.

Cory Bowden of Waukon, Iowa: If Lelie thinks he is one of the best receivers in the league then go out and prove it. Rod Smith did not become the top receiver for the Broncos by sitting back and complaining, he earned it by working harder than anyone else. If Lelie had Smith's work ethic, he could become the top receiver for the Broncos for years to come.

Charli Martinez of Denver I think he should be traded or cut loose. From what I saw he is a legend in his own mind. Yes, he plays good football, but good football does not win championships. He has dropped more balls than he has made touchdowns. He needs to go. With Walker and Smith all we need is someone who really wants to play excellent football and worry less about being in the first position.

Jane Spaulding: I think Ashley Lelie is a good football player and he has had his moments. I do fail to see where he feels that he should be in the No. 1 position as a receiver. I know he feels that he hasn't been given ample opportunity to catch in some of the games, but I also feel he has not lived up to the potential that Coach Shanahan thought he would. He needs to prove to the Coaches as well as the fans that he deserves the first place receiver position. At this time, I don't feel he has done that. You have to make plays, you have to make something happen. I think he has been with the Denver Broncos long enough to be a first-rate player, unfortunately, I don't believe we have seen this on the field of play when it was needed most. If he doesn't want to be a team player, then he needs to be let go.

W. Beckmann: As a long time Bronco fan, I hate to lose Ashley Lelie. Unfortunately, professional sports motto is "Show me the money." I can understand Ashley feeling unappreciated after all his hard work and being there when needed. I can only hope the best for him.

Aleta Ballard of Grand Junction I have two words for the situation: Trade him! He isn't as good as he thinks he is. He may have made some good catches but more often than not ... he came up empty-handed. During the recent draft, I was hoping they would get a good wide receiver. I hope Javon Walker has rehabilitated from his injury and has the positive team attitude he says he does. However, I have a hunch he will have one good season with Denver, then will become unhappy with Denver because he feels he's not getting paid enough (See the Terrell Owens situation).

Anonymous: Lelie has begun to prove himself... but he hasn't entirely proven himself! Thus, it is totally understandable why the Broncos would go after a receiver like Javon Walker. Lelie's reaction is childish and shows a total lack of team spirit! You don't see Rod Smith reacting this way! Knowing Rod's character over the years, his reaction would be "whatever is best for the team." The same reaction Jake had about the draft ... "whatever is best for the team." If Lelie thinks he's so valuable, why doesn't he go out and prove it on the playing field? Rod would! Jake would! This tells me that Lelie has an overrated opinion of himself, but is afraid to go out and show what he's got... send him packing!

Bob Wagner of Boulder: Lelie talks a big talk, but even he doesn't believe it. If he really believed he was a No. 1 NFL receiver then he would also believe he could beat out an aging Rod Smith who's numbers have been dropping and a recovering Javon Walker who hasn't played more than one game in over a year. He is really looking for the easy money before he proven to be what he really is -- an average receiver too lazy to make good on his potential.

CnJ: I understand him wanting to be the starter, however there were plenty of issues regarding his ability to hold onto the ball (sometimes Plummer's (bad) throwing could be blamed), as far as him wanting out of his contract -- does he think Rod Smith will be there forever? Maybe Shanahan was thinking along the lines of next year when there is good possibility that Lelie, if he can work on his hands, could take Rod Smith's place as the veteran when he retires. Whatever -- once a player shows their heart's not in the game, they're yesterday's news with the Broncos so -- see ya later Lelie!

Glen Ocana: After watching Ashley for the last 4 years, I think he's done a great job and had some great catches, but I also think he has areas to improve, going over the middle, catching passes on 3rd down which he seems to drop, but I have to give him credit for that catch in the Buffalo game on 3rd down that put us over the top. I wish Ashley the best of luck, I hope he finds the No. 1 spot on another team.

Not a lot of positive fans here in this article... I would dare say this is what most people think if they were interviewed in Denver, Boulder, Longmont, Fort Collins, Loveland and the surrounding area. That right embarrassed for the Broncos, but most wish him well on his search for a new team... :wave:
    Last edited by broncos4ever; 05-09-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Hey, does anyone want to know about how Colorado fans feel about Ashley?? Read the above post, if you want to know.... :wave:
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

In the spirit of Lelie bashing, I found some interesting quotes from another board. I pulled the player's name out of them...... but it should take all of 2 seconds to figure out who the posts were about. Sounds an awful lot like many of the recent posts about Lelie .......................

Re:
    by: tmrach 04/26/06 11:37 pm
    Msg: 37 of 44

It's simple,___________ needs to shut his mouth if he wants to play ball yet this year,play out his final year on his contract and see if he's healthy enough. I just don't see his logic,he worth nothing to other teams right now because he won't be able to play until late training camp at the earliest.

Re:
    by: natalie3247 04/26/06 10:58 pm
    Msg: 35 of 44

The _________ would be lucky to get a second round pick for ____________ but if they can get a second or third rounder, good riddence, ________. ________ made him what he was and I can't see him putting up similar numbers elsewhere, especially coming of the major knee injury. He's a cancer.

Re:
    by: pckjoe1 (59/M/united states) 04/30/06 12:56 am
    Msg: 40 of 44

GOOD BYE __________
    DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS ON
    THE WAY OUT

Re:
    by: jnorton22002 04/30/06 05:31 pm
    Msg: 42 of 44

The way I view this, is we need to have good people, willing to work hard, play the game because they love the game. This means not being a premadonna, think you are worth more than you are,and contribute to team moral, not ruin it. _______ was only speaking "His" opinion, but wasn't very far off. There are more good receivers out there and ___________ is as good as __________ in the areas the team will go to this year

Re:
    by: azboyinwi (41/M/southern Wi.) 04/30/06 08:09 pm
    Msg: 43 of 44

I say goodbye! and good riddance! We've got no room for discontents. One man does not make a complete receiving corps. Yes, he was a favorite target and caught some balls. But his demanding price was way too high for his production. I'm happy the malcontent is gone. Now please no more distrations for the upcoming year.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Lava
    I'm just sayin, how could he go to camp, and so called "compete" when he knows walker is makin 8 million dollars, i dont even think jake plummer or al wilson make 8 million dollars each. I'd be so angry every time i even look at him, not mad at javon, but mad at the broncos who already know who they gonna start, but take joy in you asking to be traded to go a team and have a "fair"shot at being #1, but refuse to trade you(its said they turned down a 3rd round pick) and keep you as a #3, a demotion to teach you a lesson, in front of everybody.

Ashley has never been a problem until now, so ia hev to believe he has a good reason to be upset. We all know the offense was scaling back on the passing (as evidence by Jake's pass attempts dropping from 530 to around 450 from '04 to '05)and lelie was doing mostly deep work, and wsnt included in the short game. I think if he played for a air it out team like GB, lelie, would have much more padded stats and look similar to Javon's. Farve is more of a gunslinger than Plummer everybody knows that, does well for padding some stats if you're a receiver.
    Come on man, Lelie is simply not physical enough to be a number 1 WR he can't run intermediate routs consistantly. And the reason we passed less was because Jake throws too many picks so thats nothin look at film of Walker and see who you'd have as your best receiver!

Green Bay didn't exactly hold a "love fest" for him, but Walker has been given the opportunity for a fresh start in Denver. Reuben Droughns was traded without the controversy Lelie is facing, despite the fact that Droughns wanted top pay after only 1 season as a starter. With Terrell and Watts here to compete for the #3 WR spot and the addition of 2 drafted WR's for depth, Lelie should be given the opportunity to move on.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Is he really throwing a tantrum for no reason?

You realize walker is getting paid 8 million dollars right?

you dont pay 8 million dollars to a guy and make him a #3 WR, anybody with business sense knows that, and so does ashley.

Thats why he is mad, there is no way he can have a fair shot to compete for the #2 WR, because if he was the better receiver, denver would have to put walker as the #3, and have you ever in your life seen a #3 wr make 8 million dollars?

If lelie was supposed to honor his contract, why wasnt walker supposed to honor his, the broncomaniacs here seem to excuse walker for his holdout, only then did Farve say what he said, but the fact of the matter is he had already held out.

The double standard around here gets annoying
    It's NOT a double standard! That was the entire point of my post!

First, have you forgotten that Javon DID come back in? He came back last year despite all the rips in the media by Farve and the Packers, after the Packers lying to him about re-negotiating his contract if he came back, he buried his pride and showed up to training camp and started the season under the old contract, only to get hurt in the first game.

Naturally, he's not going to do that again! How stupid would he have to be?

Compare that to Lelie! When did the Broncos ever criticize Lelie? Nobody on the Broncos organization has even said that he needs to get into camp!

They've said they'd welcome him back. Plummer hasn't criticized his holdout. Rod Smith has said he told Lelie to do whatever he needs to do.

There's NO comparison at all to Javon's situation.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

First, have you forgotten that Javon DID come back in? He came back last year despite all the rips in the media by Farve and the Packers, after the Packers lying to him about re-negotiating his contract if he came back, he buried his pride and showed up to training camp and started the season under the old contract, only to get hurt in the first game.

Compare that to Lelie! When did the Broncos ever criticize Lelie? Nobody on the Broncos organization has even said that he needs to get into camp!

They've said they'd welcome him back. Plummer hasn't criticized his holdout. Rod Smith has said he told Lelie to do whatever he needs to do.

First off, how do you know the packers lied to him about renegotiating? Walker signed the contract shouldnt he honor it?

Broncos criticized lelie by trying to get another top star receiver. And they said, "we expect him to be in camp, he is under contract" they say it less subtle, but they still say it.

Ever since lelie even hinted at a holdout, he has gotten nothing but people callin him a baby and all that, but walker can holdout and its excused here.
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

must spread some statis around before giving it to cugal again...

Nice post

First off, how do you know the packers lied to him about renegotiating? Walker signed the contract shouldnt he honor it?
    Actually, it's been pretty widely reported that the Packers told Javon that if he returned to camp last year they would discuss his contract, but when he got back they refused to discuss his contract. Perhaps that was a miscommunication, but Javon thought it was an outright lie and that contributed significantly to his unhappiness with Green Bay management.

Broncos criticized lelie by trying to get another top star receiver. And they said, "we expect him to be in camp, he is under contract" they say it less subtle, but they still say it.
    That is a truly feeble comparison! The two situations are nothing at all alike. EVERY team tries to improve by getting better players. NO player has a "right" to a job in the NFL! That's what makes the NFL unique!

If the team goes out and gets a star player the other players on the team DON'T have the right to feel slighted and sulk. It's simply competition. And it really doesn't matter if it's "fair" because they're paying Javon more money. Such competition is never really "fair".

Haven't you ever played team sports? Sometimes the coach just has a favorite player or players that he wants to start. You might think you're better than that guy who's starting or you might have been there longer or whatever, but tough! That happens all the time and you just deal with it! You suck it up and try to play harder and prove him wrong. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

Plus, probably every team in the NFL thinks Javon Walker is better than Ashlie Lelie. In fact the only people who don't think so are Ashlie Lelie and his mom! Six teams tried to trade for Ashlie and every one of them would have started him ahead of their WRs.

Should those teams' WRs have sulked and threatened to hold out because they were "insulted" when the team brought in a better player to take their starting job? Should they demand "fair" competition?

Lelie had 4 years of "fair" competition. Do you think Shanahan can't evaluate Lelie's performance after seeing thousands of hours of tape reviewing every play Lelie has ever made in the NFL?!

He knows what Lelie can do and can't do inside and out and if he concludes as he most certainly has, that Lelie can't do the job in this offense, then it's probably true. Maybe he's misjudged, but personally I doubt it. We'll see.

I said some time ago before all this stuff with Lelie came up that I thought Shanahan was disappointed in Lelie. I started to think that last year when watching the Mike Shanahan show sometime in the middle of the season.

Shanahan was breaking down videotape of a Rod Smith TD catch. The play was a double route with Smith and Lelie running about 15 yards down field, selling a fake to the inside like it was a crossing pattern and then taking off upfield. Rod faked out the DB and caught the pass for a TD. Lelie didn't really sell the fake and his man stayed with him all the way down the field. Shanahan said "That's the difference between a veteran guy like Rod Smith who knows how to sell that move and a younger guy." But, from the tone of his voice I got the impression that he was disappointed in Lelie.

Turns out I was right. He just got tired of waiting for Lelie to fulfill his promise and went out and got someone better. Lelie has ZERO reason to complain. He hasn't done it on the field and Javon has.

He can blame the Broncos system all he wants but it really comes down to HIM, not the system. Shanahan isn't changing the system he just thinks Javon is better period.

Lelie should just accept his demotion for the season and then become a FA and find another team that will give him a chance to become the #1 WR, if he can.