Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Watch out for Hamza Abdullah.
    I think he may make some people notice him this year.
    [SIGPIC][IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/alkee_619/DOMINATOR.jpg[/IMG][/SIGPIC]

Safety positions don't make sense to me for the Broncos. Isn't the main purpose of a safety to help in the secondary? Lynch is great but more of a linebacker than safety. He can blitz, great tackler, and stop the run but lacks the speed needed to be effective in coverage. His three great qualities is what makes a great LB but we already have three. But keep a great leader and player on the field so safety is where he stays, I guess.

Shouldn't a FS be very good in coverage and SS be more effective in run support and near the line of scrimmage?

I confess I'm not a fan of Nick's and would love replace him with one of our good young fast cover guys like Browner, Paymah, or even our rookie from Ohio state.

And I think we should groom Abdullah or Brandon for Lynch's spot because I feel he is gone once Plummer leaves at the end of next season unless we win the bowl.

Does anybody else feel close to the same or am I way off base?
    2012 DRAFT

1 DT Still
    2 LB Kendricks
    3 DT Ta'amu
    4 RB Turbin
    4 WR Streeter
    5 FS Hardin
    5 FB Rodriguez
    6 OG Wynn

2012 Hindsight Draft

2 Mychal Kendricks, ILB, California
    2 Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati
    3 Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)
    4 Alameda Taamu, DT, Washington
    4 Philip Blake, C, Baylor
    5 George Iloka, FS, Boise State
    6 Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia

Thumbs up Bronco's safeties.....

They don't usually run a conventional strong safety - free safety system very often, as they ask both to cover and both to support the run. There is enough talent already on the team at the safety position. Whoever gets cut will be picked up pretty quickly. Lynch is the starter because he is so intelligent and can still play the system they run. Same with Ferguson. All the young players are going to get their time because of injuries, special schemes, and their speed. I am not worried about the secondary and agree with an NFL.com comment about the strength of the improving young corners. The defense should be better this year, just because of experience for all the young guys that stepped up last year. Injuries can be covered with the improved depth.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONCO-BRIAN
    Safety positions don't make sense to me for the Broncos. Isn't the main purpose of a safety to help in the secondary? Lynch is great but more of a linebacker than safety. He can blitz, great tackler, and stop the run but lacks the speed needed to be effective in coverage. His three great qualities is what makes a great LB but we already have three. But keep a great leader and player on the field so safety is where he stays, I guess.

Shouldn't a FS be very good in coverage and SS be more effective in run support and near the line of scrimmage?

I confess I'm not a fan of Nick's and would love replace him with one of our good young fast cover guys like Browner, Paymah, or even our rookie from Ohio state.

And I think we should groom Abdullah or Brandon for Lynch's spot because I feel he is gone once Plummer leaves at the end of next season unless we win the bowl.

i do think you are a bit off base. maybe not way, but definately a bit.

fergy did have 5 picks last year and played solid. i would also love to have a true FS that has sideline to sideline range, but coyer doesnt seem to feel the same way. he seems to like bookends at the defensive end and safety postitions.

but even if he did have a change of heart, your suggestion to play either an undrafted free agent who spent last season on the ir, a corner that has no experience as a safety, or a rookie undrafted free agent instead of fergy doesnt make a ton of sense.

i could see a legit battle in camp between brandon and fergy, or perhaps even cox getting a look. but fergy played well enough last year that i dont make a change unless someone steps and beats him.

and welcome to the boards.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by BRONCO-BRIAN

I think that you're off base a bit.

Consider the following:

We ranked dead last in the league in sacks per pass attempt faced. This suggests that we got less pressure than any other team in the league or that we at the very least got below average pressure on the quarterback.

Despite this fact, we allowed the third lowest completion percentage and the tenth lowest yards per completion while pulling in the sixth most interceptions.

To have such good pass statistics despite such horrible sack statistics can only happen with excellent secondary play. Our rookie corners lined up opposite of Champ Bailey played a big part, but so did the play of Nick Ferguson and John Lynch.

Honestly, I think that people undersell Ferguson. He isn't an elite safety or anything, but he's faster than he's given credit for (Certainly much faster than Kennedy was) and has excellent hands. He's solid.

John Lynch is much slower, but he makes up for it with his intelligence.

You do have a point to a degree though. We blitzed our safeties more often than our linebackers in part because our safeties aren't as fast as the best safeties in the league are, but they do well at reading the play and they were a big part of our excellent pass defense.

I'd love to find out that we have something special in our younger depth players, but I wouldn't count on it. But, if it happens, I wouldn't complain. I'm sure that our younger players will get a chance to try to win a job, but Nick and John have played well for us, so I'm happy with them for next year.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

I think this is where Slowik really makes a difference. He's an excellent Seconday coach and I see him as Coyer's replacement in the very near future. He'll make one of our young Safeties into a good player for us. Browner and Abdullah are short term projects, while Brandon and Cox are ready to battle for a starting position.

i like fergie .. he played well for us last year.. 5 picks for a safety is pretty good and played well in run support.. i like what our safties lack in speed make up for in anticipation... Browner .. would love to see what hes got but and some of the other guys.. gonna be a heated battle for our S position this summer ...and what do you guys think that if marshall gets the axe at WO try him out at safety
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam24
    Honestly I dont think we really need to have a standout safety playing next to lynch b/c the combanation of Brandon and Ferguson make a pretty good trio.
    If it aint broke dont fix it, their both pretty good in coverage and can hit as well.
    Again if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Ferguson was third in the league for interceptions this previous season and the team's leader in tackles so he was no slouch by any means.

I think maybe our main problem at safety is that Lynch and Ferguson are too much alike.

It would be good to have a speedy cover safety to complement the hard hitting safety.

I don't know if either Abdullah, Browner and Cox have what it takes. It will be interesting to see how these guys do in camp this summer.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Professional Hell Raiser.
    Eric Brown? WHAT!!!! The bust from Mississippi State? No thanks. We already had that kid once and he sucks just as bad as our safeties now.

What we DO need is some talented youth at the safety position with coverage skills. We missed our chance at Mike Huff, Donte Whitner, and Ko Simpson.

I fully believe that we were going to move up for Mike Huff instead of Davis.

i just got an idea lol, Ashley Lelie and a pick for maybe Daneil Graham (Sp?) the TE from New England, they drafted another TE in the draft didnt they?