Page 48 of 478 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Nation

KB!!!!

The huge Magenta font is killin' me!!!

PCE, I think what the Red Sox are trying to do is to just get more hype about Matsuzaka in Japan and maybe Seibu would agree to sell some Red Sox gear of Matsuzaka's and the Red Sox would make money on that. They COULD work out some sort of arrangement where Seibu would help the Red Sox make money on fan gear.

That's completely legal.

They can't get the 51.1 million back, but they can make money off people in Japan, so it would ALMOST be like getting that money back, since they didn't have that before.

Looking at it like that, yes it's smart. They may have spent 51.1 million on it, but depending on how much they get back, it may not be that bad.

We'll see.

But it's been done with the Mariners and Yankees before, like KB said.
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by keithbishop

What I THINK you mean, though (and please correct me if this isn't what you mean)...... you are trying to somehow show that the red sox can somehow get a "kickback" on the $51.1 mil. posting fee...
    In a word, yes. There's nothing MLB can do if there's a separate "severance package" deal between Seibu and D-Mat

There are no side deals in the situation,"[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I] [/U] said Jimmie Lee Solomon, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office. "Everybody's been assured that's not allowed, and everybody's been made aware of the rules."
    There's no need for side deals between the Red Sox and Seibu. A "severance package" would be between Seibu and D-Mat only. Larry Lucchino would simply stand to the side and smile broadly

The reasoning behind the rules is that, were side deals allowed, the entire posting process would be a joke. It wouldn't be a matter of "brilliance", it would be a disgrace to the game. The Matsuzaka negotiations are under intense scrutiny by MLB.
    If the Red Sox found a loophole in the process, then all the power to them. However, it will be very difficult for MLB to try to close this type of loophole. They have no control over the owners of Japanese baseball teams. They can work out any type of "severance packages" they wish.

The red sox won negotiating rights to Matsuzaka fair and square.... for $51.1 million . In order to sign him, they MUST pay the $51.1 mil. in it's entirity by Dec. 14th. .
    They will. That's not a problem. But there's nothing stopping Seibu from taking 10-15 ml from that posting fee and giving it to D-Mat as a form of a gift. Everyone knows the Red Sox outbid every other team by over 10 million, I'm sure Seibu would have no problem giving D-Mat a small gift to show their appreciaton and make this deal happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsCrowEater
    In a word, yes. There's nothing MLB can do if there's a separate "severance package" deal between Seibu and D-Mat

There's no need for side deals between the Red Sox and Seibu. A "severance package" would be between Seibu and D-Mat only. Larry Lucchino would simply stand to the side and smile broadly

If the Red Sox found a loophole in the process, then all the power to them. However, it will be very difficult for MLB to try to close this type of loophole. They have no control over the owners of Japanese baseball teams. They can work out any type of "severance packages" they wish.

They will. That's not a problem. But there's nothing stopping Seibu from taking 10-15 ml from that posting fee and giving it to D-Mat as a form of a gift. Everyone knows the Red Sox outbid every other team by over 10 million, I'm sure Seibu would have no problem giving D-Mat a small gift to show their appreciaton and make this deal happen.
    Amazing....simply amazing. So you're hoping that the red sox brass has class equivalent to Jose Canseco's?? Wow. The last thing I would want is for Brian Cashman to pull a stunt that could give a black eye to the game and to my beloved team. I guarantee that Cashman has far too much class to attempt anything like that..... and I wouldn't have an ounce of respect for him if he did, much less think he was clever for doing so.

I am not a fan of cheating in baseball, be it steroid use or under-the-table blatant violations of salary rules.

When you say "they will", how do you know this?? Are the red sox run by Vince McMahon?? It sounds like a WWE bad-guy story line.

Out of curiosity, what does the integrity of the game mean to you??

"If the Red Sox found a loophole in the process, then all the power to them. However, it will be very difficult for MLB to try to close this type of loophole. They have no control over the owners of Japanese baseball teams. They can work out any type of "severance packages" they wish.".... I'm also curious as to how you'd define "NO SIDE DEALS"....... is the "NO" just a figure of speech, or is there a meaning to the word I'm not aware of??

Sorry to interrupt your daydream . Carry on, I won't intrude again.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

BTW what is the fasciation with JD "injured" Drew.

IMHO he is not worth $70 mill over 5 years. What a bad signing this would be.

hasnt' Theo learned from his Edgar "Rent a Wreck" mistake yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco
    BTW what is the fasciation with JD "injured" Drew.

IMHO he is not worth $70 mill over 5 years. What a bad signing this would be.

hasnt' Theo learned from his Edgar "Rent a Wreck" mistake yet.
    14 million a year for JD Drew is one of the worst moves a franchise can make.

He's old, he's always injured, and he's not even that good!

WOW!

So they didn't want to pay Damon that, but they'll gladly pay JD DREW MORE?!!

Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RunYouOver
    14 million a year for JD Drew is one of the worst moves a franchise can make.

He's old, he's always injured, and he's not even that good!

WOW!

So they didn't want to pay Damon that, but they'll gladly pay JD DREW MORE?!!

Brilliant!!

It would be a great move..... then we could post our favorite Damon vs. Drew stats.

To be fair, though, we must remember that the red sox.... ahem...... COULDN"T AFFORD to pay a player like Damon $11.5 mil. per season (all he asked for was the mid-point between the sox $10 mil. offer and the Yankees $13 mil offer). It's always good business to play hardball when negotiating with a team leader and WS hero, but give an oft-injured replacement substantially more $$.

Also keep in mind that Drew is at least twice as good of a player as Damon, a much better leader than Damon, and DEFINITELY sturdier than Damon.

Tony LaRussa said there were games during Drew's time in St. Louis that he appeared to be "giving 80% out there". Ouch.

One question, though, why were Dodgers fans so happy to see Drew opt out of his contract??
    Last edited by keithbishop; 11-30-2006 at 05:59 PM.

MLB.Com is reporting that the red sox have agreed to terms with JD Drew on a 5-year $70 mil. deal.

boston agreed to terms with SS Julio Lugo : 4 years $36 mil.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=3002

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeShadow
    lugo AND drew?
    I guess the surprise for me is adding Drew just as several reports say the Manny trade talks are all but dead.

As for SS, Lugo is a solid player, but it seems like Francona thought more of Gonzalez than the red sox FO did. boston didn't make him an offer to stay, did they?? 3 years $14 mil. (plus a mutual 2010 option at $6 mil. with a $500K buyout)for Gonzalez looks like a steal for the Reds.
    Last edited by keithbishop; 12-06-2006 at 06:15 AM.

I never heard of an offer to lugo. As for drew i think hes a good player and a great compliment to ortiz and manny, i just question whether he can handle boston.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeShadow
    I never heard of an offer to lugo. As for drew i think hes a good player and a great compliment to ortiz and manny, i just question whether he can handle boston.
    its a done deal with both.

I have no idea what Theo is thinking $15 mill for JD "IR" Drew and 9 mill for Lugo when they could have had Cabrerra 2 years ago.

Bad moves IMHO

Look Here

At the recent moves by Boston.
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420
    Just in case you guys forgot

RED SOCKS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you forgot

YOU CANT SPELL DUMBASS