Supplemental Draft

This will be coming up very soon, can anyone tell me more about it, I know how it works, but who is available and such. is it college Juniors who file paperwork or Juco players? Any info will get a CP.
    [IMG]http://img227.exs.cx/img227/2936/rebelsyxxsigpic5ec.jpg[/IMG]
    "OFTEN IMITATED NEVER DUPLICATED!"

"....knee injuries did something opposing defenses could not. Stop Terrell Davis."

"My Last game in a Cardinals uniform, I heard them say...."WE WANT JAKE.....WE WANT JAKE!!! and all the while I was thinking, "I want you too."- Jake Plummer

[IMG]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8319/rondaynesig29wa.gif[/IMG]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

This story has some interesting info.

Brandt's supplemental draft primer

By Gil Brandt
    NFL.com Senior Analyst

(May 18, 2006) -- For those of you experiencing a little post-NFL Draft withdrawal, there's good news: The 2006 Supplemental Draft is just around the corner.

This years' supplemental draft is tentatively scheduled for July 13. Rules of the supplemental draft stipulate that it has to take place at least 10 days prior to opening of the first training camp.

Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams.

The supplemental draft gives players like Ahmad Brooks of Virginia a shot at making the pros.
    The first time the supplemental draft came into play was in 1977, when Al Hunter, a running back from Notre Dame, was selected in the fourth round by the Seattle Seahawks.

Of course, in order for a team to select someone, it must have that choice available in the following year's regular draft -- and that's the pick it will give up to make the supplemental pick.

Some of the names you may recall that have been selected in supplemental drafts through the years include linebacker Brian Bosworth, a first-round pick of the Seahawks in 1987; Washington State QB Tim Rosenbach, taken by the Cardinals in 1989; Miami QB Steve Walsh, also taken in 1989 by the Dallas Cowboys; and Duke QB Dave Brown, who was selected by the Giants in 1992.

More recently, San Diego defensive tackle Jamal Williams was a second-round supplemental pick in 1998, and he's become a terrific run-stuffer for the Chargers.

The paperwork hasn't officially been filed yet for this year's supplemental draft, but there are at least two players who will get a close look from scouts around the league:
    • Ahmad Brooks, LB, Virginia: A national defensive player of the year coming out of high school, Brooks had an outstanding 2004 season for the Cavaliers in 2004, but got hurt last year.
    • Jason Berryman, DE, Iowa State: At about 240 pounds, he's probably a linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. His Pro Day is already set for June 6 at Iowa State, and we'll have reports on that.

Of course, NFL.com will have news on these and other players who file for the supplemental draft, so rest easy. There's more draft analysis on the way!
    The highlighted parts are the parts worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Dra...lemental_Draft

Supplemental Draft
    In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. The supplemental draft maintains the same team order from the regular draft, with the team with the worst record in the previous season picking first. However, in the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003. Thus in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick).

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his hometown Cleveland Browns, who advised him to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a reoccurrence of this incident.

As of 2006, players who enter the Supplemental Draft usually are graded as players who should be drafted at a later round, or who have college eligibility problems (poor academic or discipline issues). Only 32 players have been taken in the past 26 Supplemental Drafts.
    This Wikipedia article has some value.
    Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 05-21-2006 at 12:29 PM.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes Owl
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

This story has some interesting info.

The highlighted parts are the parts worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Dra...lemental_Draft

This Wikipedia article has some value.

Berryman is a first-class punk. Sorry, just had to get that off of my chest.

"takes big, deep breathe" There, I feel better. Carry on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    Berryman is a first-class punk. Sorry, just had to get that off of my chest.

"takes big, deep breathe" There, I feel better. Carry on everyone.
    Hmmmm. Care to 'splain a little?

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Hmmmm. Care to 'splain a little?

I live here in Iowa, and there seems to be a story on him every couple of weeks.
    Getting into trouble with coaches, the law, grades blah blah blah.

I got tired of reading bout him, so I stopped. I believe however, that he was finally kicked off of the team...hence the supplemental draft.

Go Hawks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    I live here in Iowa, and there seems to be a story on him every couple of weeks.
    Getting into trouble with coaches, the law, grades blah blah blah.

I got tired of reading bout him, so I stopped. I believe however, that he was finally kicked off of the team...hence the supplemental draft.

Go Hawks!!!
    Yea, I guess that makes both Brooks and Berryman punks.

What was the reason Brooks was kicked out of Virginia?
    Eddie Mac for prez!

Quote Originally Posted by SoDakTE87

Sorry, I don't know. It seems like I remember reading an article about him...possibly on ESPN.com.

Isn't he like a freak? (athlete wise)

Quote Originally Posted by SoDakTE87
    He's lazy, lacks work ethic, and has a penchant for boos and reefer.

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    He's lazy, lacks work ethic, and has a penchant for boos and reefer.

Are you talking about Brooks or Nate Newton?

Diamonds in the rough
    Diamonds in the rough

By John Murphy, Yahoo! Sports
    June 6, 2006

This year's NFL supplemental draft will be held on July 13, with each team capable of using one of their 2007 draft choices to obtain the rights of any players deemed eligible for selection.

A year ago, the Miami Dolphins used a sixth-round draft choice to pick former USC defensive tackle Manuel Wright, but past supplemental drafts dating back as far as the late 1980s have seen the likes of Brian Bosworth (Seattle), Steve Walsh (Dallas), Timm Rosenbach (Phoenix), Rob Moore (N.Y. Jets), Dave Brown (N.Y. Giants), Tony Hollings (Houston) and Jamal Williams (San Diego) selected.

This additional process is held to accommodate players that were not eligible for the April draft but, for various reasons (academic, injury, off-field or NCAA rulings), have now requested "special" entry to the supplemental draft.

Teams are divided into three groups, those that had six or fewer wins followed by the rest of the non-postseason teams and the 12 playoff clubs. The weighted system allows teams with the worst records to have better odds of selecting the eligible prospects.

As of June 1, the official paperwork had not been processed for any of the potential prospects for this year's supplemental draft, according to Kevin Fernandez, who helps review the requests at the NFL office. In order for any NFL team to have contact or observe a "pro day" type workout by a potential prospect, all of the player's paperwork must be filed with the league. Before any such evaluation can take place, eligibility must be confirmed and all 32 teams must be alerted.

ADVERTISEMENT

This year's supplemental draft may have a handful of interesting prospects available for selection. Here's a look at the top candidates:

Ahmad Brooks, linebacker, Virginia Brooks is clearly the most high-profile player in the group, as he was a freshman All-American before falling on hard times due to some off-field issues and injuries. He missed six games with a right knee injury last season, so he decided to return to the Cavaliers for his senior campaign only to be suspended and then dismissed from the program for violating unspecified team rules. After deciding to sign with agent Gregory Williams, Brooks made his way to train at Chip Smith's CES facility in Atlanta.

The former All-ACC linebacker has been with the well-known personal trainer for roughly two months, entering the program at nearly 285 pounds but weighing in at a much-improved 268 pounds earlier this week with a final goal of 260 to 265 pounds for his upcoming workout.

"It was all about accountability with him," Smith said of Brooks, who has admitted to making errors in judgment. "[I] told him the first day that he needed to be on time and ready to work. If not, he could pack his stuff and go home."

Smith will be in attendance for Brooks' June 22 pro day workout, which will also feature Cavaliers head coach Al Groh as well as other members of Virginia's defensive coaching staff. Brooks is aiming to run in the 4.5-second range, bench-press 225 pounds 22 to 25 times and jump in the mid-30s (inches) for his vertical leap as well as show greater dedication to his conditioning by weighing in at 265 pounds.

"[He] has obvious talents. quick first step, excellent size, ability to play in the middle or strong-side. [I would] even like using him as a rush end in some situations," said one longtime NFL evaluator who has scouted the Mid-Atlantic region for over 20 years.

"You can make some comparisons to guys like Pepper Johnson or Levon Kirkland in terms of size and potential," added the talent evaluator, "but this kid could be a step faster in terms of straight-line speed. He has all the tools to become a solid NFL starter, but he's had some issues that need to be addressed."

Most believe that, even though Brooks has "first day" ability, he will likely slide to the fourth or fifth round if all goes well at his private workout and interviews.

Is this kid worth a look.

David Boler, wide receiver, Delaware The former Pac-10 transfer with over 2,000 career receiving yards recently lost his bid for a sixth year of NCAA eligibility.