Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Best War Movies

Saving Private Ryan was my fav. It was also the only movie to make me cry.

<- Ready for the salute
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels
    HANDS DOWN......

FULL METAL JACKET
    Same here that is my #1

Best War Movies of all-time

Saving Private Ryan - it's a keeper

Black Hawk Down - 99 Americans against 1000's of somali's... cmon...

The Thin Red Line - very poetic.. hard to understand but if you do you'll know why

We Were Soldiers - A great look of what happend during the beginning of the war

Rough Riders - A great view of the SPanish American War

Couple of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenis7
    I think the animosity that exists between the Arab world and the West is of more recent origin than The Crusades. British rule of Afghanistan and India? American support of Israel? Western intervention/imperialism?

May I suggest you read some of Prof. Bernard Lewis' books on the middle east. They are highly regarded among academics and the pre-Sept. 11 ones make him look like a psychic. Lewis does not discount the reasons you mention (although I don't remember India coming up) but he incorporates them into the whole. Thus the origins of the problem start before the Crusades, indeed with the very nature of the Muslims and Christians, but keep building and eventually get to the more modern symptoms of the clash between cultures that has been fought off and on for centuries.

As for the War movies, I don't usually like war movies because the older ones were too nationalistic, (Sands of Iwo Jima, etc.) and the more recent ones try too hard to be anti-war. (Thin Red Line, etc.)

Some I liked however:
    Saving Private Ryan
    Blackhawk down
    The Bridge Over the River Kwai (I hadn't seen this one mentioned)
    Glory (Also hadn't seen it mentioned)
    Band of Brothers
    Savior

Savior is one that not many have seen. It takes place in the Balkands and stars Dennis Quaid. It is the most heartwrenching war movie I have ever seen. I highly recommend it.

Some I hated:
    Pearl Harbor (This would have been okay if they had cut out every scene with Affleck, Hartnett, Beckinsdale, and Baldwin.)

Windtalkers (This might be the worst war movie I have ever seen.

The Thin Red Line (Boring, Preachy, and about as subtle as getting hit with a mallet. It's intresting that Penn can get a haircut to play a convict, but not to play a soldier.)

Apocalypse Now (I know I am alone on this, but I thought the movie was stupid.)

Hart's War (If you have not seen it, don't. Rent Stalag 17 instead.)
    Last edited by JADJARHD; 06-01-2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Really bad grammer
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "our brothers are silent, for they dare not speak the thoughts of their minds. For all must agree with all, and they cannot know if their thoughts are the thoughts of all, and so they fear to speak."

Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman
    You're 100% right! I think when a lot of those movies were made times were different. They had a very patriotic slant on them. I think Hollywood was that way until Vietnam. The mindset changed after that. One thing that I did like is that they weren't very bloody at all. Blood doesn't gross me out, but I guess those movies remind me of a more innocent time.
    That's so true, it's not the patriotism that bothers me the most, but the depiction of the enemy be it the germans or the Japanese. Trust me, I hate Hilter's guts, but alot of those guys were drafted to fight for germany and they had no choice, either you fight, or you die. They are made out to be pure evil in those movies...

Thumbs up Crusades

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenis7
    I think the animosity that exists between the Arab world and the West is of more recent origin than The Crusades. British rule of Afghanistan and India? American support of Israel? Western intervention/imperialism?

As far as the one-on-one battle between snipers during the Siege of Stalingrad, that is actually true. The Soviets had a sniper whom the Germans just couldn't kill, so they sent their best sniper to kill him. The Soviet sniper ended up killing the German sniper. Did it change the course of the battle? Probably not, but it was a moral victory for the Red Army.

Nobody's mentioned it so far, so how about Oscar-winning "All Quiet on the Western Front"? Lew Ayres. Black-and-white. Great movie of a great anti-war book. Plus, I'm really fascinated w/WWI.
    there stories have been passed from generation too generation so if fact they think what happen in the crusades is still happening that's why i said that...but what you said is true too its all part of it
    [IMG]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6793/lynchsig0yt.png[/IMG]

apart from the classics (full metal jacket, platoon, apocalypse now) there are saving private ryan, we were soldiers, band of brothers (ok, not really a movie, but I liked it) and many more.... I just cant think of titles at the moment.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Did any of you enjoy "Jarhead"?

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco16
    Did any of you enjoy "Jarhead"?
    ummm... it was aight.... and nothing more...

i began throwing nachos at my mate who brought it over on dvd to watch... cos by the end... not a single shot was fired...

what in the hell sort of WAR movie is that??

what is becoming of wars? r ppl gonna invade nations with blow up novelty sized hammers and lousy paper hats for protection???

the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

<a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

1- Saving Private Ryan

2- Black Hawk Dow

3 and on doesnt matter cause they are so far behind the first two
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

I watched Gods and Generals the other night.

Was very long, but wasn't too bad.

I don't like war movies, but saving Private ryan was the best and here's why: The opening D-day scene. We all watch the History channel and see war footage, but we're not in there. During this movie, we were right at the action and saw the bloodshed in the most horrid way possible.

After the film, I became totally depressed for mankind, even though that was 50+ years ago. It made me think why millions of men would fight at the whims of 1 single madman. The thought of millions upon millions dying simply because one man wanted to rule the world was uber-depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco16
    I watched Gods and Generals the other night.

Was very long, but wasn't too bad.
    OMG... i tried.. ohh... i tried not to turn it off...

that movie just goes and goes....

and goes...

but its historically sound... so for that reason... i watched it... and in the end.. it was alright.. but only cos i love docos....

the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

<a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn
    It made me think why millions of men would fight at the whims of 1 single madman. The thought of millions upon millions dying simply because one man wanted to rule the world was uber-depressing.
    yeah.. true.. but yet so, so wrong...

i did histroy.... and studied germany as my major... and the ammount of ww2 docos ive seen... and trust me... ive seen more than u...

but it was not a single mad man... what about japan? and italy... even though they sucked some heavy balls... like the french...

and hitler didnt want to rule the world... just europe...

but i agree...
    his goals were crazy... and he did go mad in the end.. and when he took absolute control of the miltary.. well that was the straw that broke the camels back...

anyhoo... i agree... its very, very sad... and all for a stupid reasons...

but ill go out on a thin branch here... and say that hitler was a great man... PRIOR TO 1939... when the war began...

he turned around a nation in so few years that nations around germany could not keep track of them... he got unemployment to the lowest level in any nation in the 1930's and 40's... from the lowest in the world(17.1% or 4.1 million) that they were in the early 1933 and prior... and he developed a way to combine the greatest minds of his nation... to become the worlds leading research and development nation... even though they didnt exactly develop things for peace...

and even though it is sad... u must also look at the positives...

the mateship and the spirit shown by those brave men is something that i dont think we will ever see again... EVER... that is why i have gone to the annual veterans parades every year... to pay my tribute in the only way i can...

they were real men...

- T Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by anton1287
    i did histroy.... and studied germany as my major... and the ammount of ww2 docos ive seen... and trust me... ive seen more than u...
    If that makes you feel better... I've seen more episodes of South Park than you... there, now I feel special.

but it was not a single mad man... what about japan? and italy... even though they sucked some heavy balls... like the french...
    I didn't mean just Hitler. I meant the Axis countries followed their own madman.

and hitler didnt want to rule the world... just europe...
    Not to hijack a thread, but do you really think Hitler would've stopped with Europe? Give him an inch, he'll take a mile. Give him a country, he'll take a continent. Attacking Russia was in Europe AND Asia. I can see him looking at a map of Asia, seeing that Germany had part of the land, and wanting it all... meaning once all the enemies were eliminated, say goodbye to Japan and even Spain in Europe. He was obsessive compulsive among other things. Europe was the first step in, what we love to call World Domination.

his goals were crazy... and he did go mad in the end.. and when he took absolute control of the miltary.. well that was the straw that broke the camels back...
    I always wondered what the outcome of the war would've been if he listened to his scientists about the Atomic Bomb. Attacking Russia well into winter and not retreating to save his army's numbers once it got too cold to win Stalingrad. He should've stopped with what he had, but his lust for wanting more and his ego led to the downfall.

but ill go out on a thin branch here... and say that hitler was a great man... PRIOR TO 1939... when the war began...

he turned around a nation in so few years that nations around germany could not keep track of them... he got unemployment to the lowest level in any nation in the 1930's and 40's... from the lowest in the world(17.1% or 4.1 million) that they were in the early 1933 and prior... and he developed a way to combine the greatest minds of his nation... to become the worlds leading research and development nation... even though they didnt exactly develop things for peace...

and even though it is sad... u must also look at the positives...
    While it is hard for me to use the word "great" and "Hitler" in the same paragraph much less the same sentence, I can say what he did for the country was great. The unemployment thing threw the German economy out of balance. His methods were questionable of course, but he also defied the Treaty of Versailles and turned Germany into a World Power and reoccupying countries under England's & France's noses. Then he got greedy and you know the rest.

the mateship and the spirit shown by those brave men is something that i dont think we will ever see again... EVER... that is why i have gone to the annual veterans parades every year... to pay my tribute in the only way i can...

they were real men...
    I agree on that one. Same goes for today's heroes. I mean, if no one steps up to stop them, as Britain and France didn't do with Hitler early on as he defied the Treaty of Versailles, then we'd have an even more chatoic world on our hands.