Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Forget Cutler for this year, Jake's the Starter according to Mike Shanahan

Forget Cutler for this year, Jake's the Starter according to Mike Shanahan http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....605200332/1006

ENGLEWOOD - Know this, Denver Broncos fans: Jay Cutler has not defied convention. He did not come into the team's weeklong passing camp and immediately look like the second coming of John Elway.

And even though Cutler eventually hopes to supplant either starter Jake Plummer or backup Bradlee Van Pelt, the Broncos' No. 1 draft pick is going out of his way to make nice during his initial days with the team.

So, Cutler's coronation as the Broncos' future savior will have to wait at least until July, when the team opens its 2006 training camp. For now, he's just trying to find his way around.

"It has been a fun week," Culter said Friday in his first official news conference since joining the team. "The guys have been great, the coaches have been supportive and the I think I did all right. But I've still got a lot of work to do."

That's not surprising. The NFL is a blur for any newcomer, let alone a quarterback who is being asked to memorize a thick play book and act like he knows what he is doing.

Still, when coach Mike Shanahan praised the former Vanderbilt star's ability to break the huddle and call a play following the first day of camp, more than a few eyebrows were raised. Cutler said Shanahan was giving him too much credit.

"I had a general idea of the plays, but as far as formations and reads, I had no clue," he said, laughing at his own struggles. "That first day was a little rough, but I felt like I got a little better each day."

As for Shanahan, he seemed pleased with Cutler's early progress but added that the player he traded up to acquire in the draft is not in the same situation Elway faced when he arrived from Stanford in 1983 to become the face of the franchise.

"The big difference is that when John came in, everyone knew he was going to be the quarterback," Shanahan said. "Jay doesn't have to worry about that. But any time you're a first rounder, there's pressure. That's the nature of this business. We've always been pretty straightforward with our players. We don't care where you were drafted. You've got to prove yourself on the field."

That's going to take some time. Cutler admitted that, while he feels fortunate to have played in Vanderbilt's pro-style passing attack, the complexities of the Broncos' offense have left him a bit dizzy. He just hopes there's enough study time between now and the July 28 start of camp to learn the play book.

"You feel like everything you do is being evaluated," he said. "I know that when you're taken in the first round you obviously are expected to perform quickly. Right now, I'm just trying to help the team any way I can."

Early on, that help likely will be limited to toting Plummer's clipboard. Shanahan has made it clear that Plummer, who led the Broncos within a game of the Super Bowl and is coming off a career year, is the starter.

And although Van Pelt's role is unclear, Shanahan has made no indication that the former Colorado State University star will be replaced.

Cutler knows all of that so, for now, he's just trying to fit in. Plummer has invited him to a backyard barbecue today at his home, and he has enjoyed being around the colorful Van Pelt.

"Bradlee is funny; he kill's me," he said. "Right now, he's the second-team dude, and he knows what's going on out there. He's a good quarterback."

Asked to describe what makes Van Pelt so funny, Cutler simply laughed.

"He's just a goofy dude," he said. "I like him."

Come July, however, the competition will begin, and Cutler will discover where he fits in the team's immediate and future plans. He's looking forward to the opportunity.

"I'm just learning the system, and I know I've still got a lot to learn," he said. "But I know I can throw it. Now it's just a matter of figuring out where to throw it."

So you can take all the quotes about what a QB can do and what a QB cannot do but you need to know this Jake Plummer will be the QB for this year and Jay will be toting the clipboard.

All of you that don't think this will happen just look at the quotes Mike S. does make and not general quotes about a QB like the ones MTN MAN posted. Jay can make all the throws, but he is not ready to step in as the #1 QB of the Broncos at this time and most everyone knows it.
    Last edited by broncos4ever; 05-29-2006 at 10:48 PM.
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Good find and its not even a reach on your part...unlike that other thread.

CP to ya

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3845330

There will be no media circus at Broncos training camp this summer like the one in 1983.

First-round pick Jay Cutler is not the second coming of John Elway. The rookie quarterback made that perfectly clear Friday at his first post-practice news conference.

Mike Shanahan is no a wide-eyed young assistant fresh off the campus. He made that clear a long time ago.

And perhaps most significantly, summer camp is not the only game in town.

"I think the big difference when John came in, everybody knew he was going to be the quarterback. ... He was going to play early," Shanahan said. "We've got a quarterback that was in the Pro Bowl last (season) that has played exceptionally well. So you don't have to throw somebody in before they're ready."

*snicker*

....was there really any doubt.....
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

This is what Ted Sundquist says:

Jake Plummer understood exactly why the Broncos chose to use the highest first-round pick of the Mike Shanahan era on a player at his position, tapping Jay Cutler with the No. 11 pick of the first round.

"I wouldn't have turned down the opportunity to get a guy like him had the chance come up," Plummer said a day after Cutler toured Broncos headquarters and stole his first glimpses at the team's playbook and workings of its offensive scheme.

But Cutler's day may not be right around the corner.

"Certainly the idea is that Jake remains our quarterback," General Manager Ted Sundquist said. "I think any initial year for a rookie quarterback is always a learning year ... This is my fifth year as a GM and I'm still learning.

"It's going to create competition. Whether it's self-inflicted or truly for a chance to get on the field -- that remains to be seen."

But Sundquist wanted to make one concept clear when he met with the media Monday -- the pick was not a reflection on Plummer.

"Jake has absolutely nothing to apologize for," Sundquist said. "The guy won 14 games for us. We were on the brink of going to the Super Bowl last year. I think it's unfair to say that we didn't advance to the Super Bowl because of the play of Jake Plummer.

"A big reason we were in the position we were in last year is because of the play of Jake."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3774429

I talked with Mike and I think I would have made the same pick," Plummer said. "You go get a guy like him. Especially with this organization, when are we going to get a chance to pick that high again? Hopefully not in a long, long time."

If all goes well for the Broncos, there is a great chance Cutler will play for the first time during the four-game preseason schedule, and there's some chance he will play for the last time in 2006 once the preseason concludes.

Not only is a healthy Plummer assured of starting at quarterback for the 2006 season, but Bradlee Van Pelt likely will be the backup - at least when the season begins. Keep in mind that after reaching the AFC championship game last season, rushing the development of a young quarterback falls somewhere behind winning the Super Bowl on the Broncos' 2006 priority list.

If Plummer leads the Broncos to the Super Bowl this season, better believe Cutler will wait two years before he gets his first serious chance to start. Besides, would there have been less of a quarterback controversy had the Broncos acquired Joey Harrington from the Detroit Lions last month?

The Broncos spent several weeks on the deal, and it was only after Harrington rebuffed Denver that the team pursued Cutler. Harrington, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2002 draft, knew he had little chance of beating out Plummer.

"All the fans who are week to week during the season all the sudden can see into the future and years from now," Plummer said. "Let them do what they want. We're focused on winning ballgames. I'm focused on getting ready for this season and going to the Super Bowl, hopefully take it that one step further than we did last year.

"And if it arrives where I'm competing and getting beat out by Jay Cutler, then so be it. I'm not going to sit here and worry about two years from now when I've got a whole lot to take care of in this next year."

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak
    *snicker*

....was there really any doubt.....
    There shouldn't have been. Hopefully even Cutler knew he'd be spending his first year learning. Even next season Cutler won't start unless he shows on the field that he's better than Plummer. As Shanny said, "We don't care where you were drafted. You've got to prove yourself on the field."

Cutler won't just be handed the job, he'll have to earn it. But that shouldn't even be an issue until next season. Even then, Jake will probably still have the edge unless he regresses this season. But I'm hoping he'll continue his improvement and take the Broncos to the next level.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

This is John Elways take on the Jay Cutler and Jake Plummer situation:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_452375.html

Elway said he hasn't seen much of Cutler, but has heard about his strong arm and his ability to coax a lot out of himself despite playing at Vanderbilt, a bottom feeder in the Southeastern Conference.

Last week, Plummer said he figured it would be at least a year, maybe two, before Cutler could realistically start for the Broncos. He took no offense at Denver trading up in the draft to make the pick.

"I talked with Mike and I think I would have made the same pick," Plummer said. "You go get a guy like him. Especially with this organization, when are we going to get a chance to pick that high again? Hopefully not in a long, long time."

Elway says he knows Plummer well enough to figure he'll react well to the situation.

"It's nice for Jake," Elway said. "They're in the perfect situation, they've proven they can win with Jake and they've started looking to the future. When Cutler gets to the point where he can compete for the job, I'm sure Jake, knowing the way Jake handles things, he'll take it as a challenge and perform."

Wow!!! The quotes sure slap the Anti Jake Klan into check! I love it!!!
    SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

"Jake has absolutely nothing to apologize for," Sundquist said. "The guy won 14 games for us. We were on the brink of going to the Super Bowl last year. I think it's unfair to say that we didn't advance to the Super Bowl because of the play of Jake Plummer.
    I wonder why mtn_man didn't create this thread?...

I like the ACTUAL quotes in these articles, not the reach for quotes that aren't there.

Makes for some good sig quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighStud
    Wow!!! The quotes sure slap the Anti Jake Klan into check! I love it!!!
    Nah....

...they'll just call it "lip service' or some other buzzword......
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak
    Nah....

...they'll just call it "lip service' or some other buzzword......
    Spin factor......if they even read them.

****in' right Plummer's the starter.

How about someone who has talked to Jay about this and what Jay thinks...

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...r/14461860.htm

The biggest question for Cutler, however, is this: Just how long is he willing to serve as an understudy to Jake Plummer?

"Well, I don't want to put a time limit on it," said Cutler, the SEC's player of the year whose stock began to soar during his spectacular senior season at Vanderbilt. "I think that it's good for a quarterback to wait coming in as a rookie, learn the system, watch someone successful in front of him do it."

We had no warning. I think I knew about 15 seconds before everyone else did," Cutler said. "It is a surprise and it's going to be great to get on a winning team that's been there and is a game away from the Super Bowl. I'm excited to get out there and learn from Jake Plummer and coach (Mike) Shanahan."

"Jake Plummer, I think he's got a lot of years left," Cutler said. "I think he's a great quarterback. He's been doing it in Denver the last couple of years. I'm going to go in there and compete and learn as much as I can from Jake and coach and everyone else there. I'm going to have to wait and see what happens."

This was after QB camp...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...713932,00.html

It's something Cutler expects, too, jokingly adding he already has been practicing the Vanderbilt fight song.

"They're getting used to us and we're getting used to them," he said. "And once they feel a bit more comfortable, I'm sure they have a few surprises in store for us."

Only training camp can begin to demonstrate how many surprises Cutler has in him. For now, Cutler is conceding he's behind Jake Plummer and Bradlee Van Pelt, and while admitting the Broncos system is complicated, he believes he could push them, nothing more, in the short term.

So MNTMAN, Lancane, bring it on. Show me your articles and quotes because I have now shown you mine.