Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Duke's injury worse than expected

"The prognosis for tight end Wesley Duke is worse than feared. After surgery Tuesday on his left knee, Duke was told recovery would be nine months. The Broncos waived Duke last week. ... "

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3916044
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    "The prognosis for tight end Wesley Duke is worse than feared. After surgery Tuesday on his left knee, Duke was told recovery would be nine months. The Broncos waived Duke last week. ... "

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3916044

Ouch. I figured his release had more to it than our depth chart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bummer.
    Wishing him a speedy recovery.

I do not understand why the Broncos would waive Duke because of an injury, which, I assume, happened when playing NFL Europe, as they designated him to play there. I would have thought that injured reserve would have been much more appropriate. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by deanver
    Ouch. I figured his release had more to it than our depth chart.
    i thought the same...

but i didnt think his injury was gonna be that bad...

OUCH....
    he is ruined for this year....

i hope he comes back next year...

and this does clear up a lot of why's that went on as to the reason for his release...

the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

<a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

My thoughts on why Duke was cut. First off if they keep him on injured reserve I think it counts as part of the salary cap. Duke still has a good deal of work to do before he became a viable starting tight end. Perhaps Shanny did not want to invest cap space in a project that was going to be another year behind schedule. Also Nate Jackson's play and the prospect of trading Lelie for a tight end may have made Duke expendable.

Found this in the Rocky Mountain news. Bottom of the article under injury report:
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...761985,00.html

Apparently the team may still have plans for Duke depending on his recovery.

too bad, i was so looking forward to watching Wesley Duke this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native
    I do not understand why the Broncos would waive Duke because of an injury, which, I assume, happened when playing NFL Europe, as they designated him to play there. I would have thought that injured reserve would have been much more appropriate. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

As I understand it if they place him on IR he has the right to his salary, can rehab at Dove valley. I suspect they did not see him coming back and did not want to invest in him in that matter. CAP space the big one.

Although they are apparently living the door open for the future. Sounds to me like the odds are not favorable of him getting back. If he recovers did he really show them enough to warrant a IR spot. Making the move they did sounds like the writing is on the wall.

Bummer...I knew the injury had to be pretty serious for Denver to actually cut him so early in the camps.

I wish Duke a speedy recovery, and hopefully next season he can be back competing for a job somewhere - even if it isnt in a Broncos uniform.
    “There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven.” - Robert Green Ingersoll

This is his 4th major knee surgery, I think the broncos are betting on him not coming back. If he can great, but shanahan is going to bet on it.....

Duke came out of college with bad knees. That is one reason he switched to football from basketball. This could be the end of the road for the ppor guy. I hope not but the odds are not in his favor

I did not realize that an injured player could be waived. Seems somewhat unethical to me.

Ouch, good luck Duke.....hope you recover well.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin
    This is his 4th major knee surgery, I think the broncos are betting on him not coming back. If he can great, but shanahan is going to bet on it.....
    That's what I read too. That's too many. A man is never the same (even Javon Walker) after a major knee injury.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]