• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed Canfield
    Practice Squad
    • Feb 2004

Sports article

Did anyone see this ??

Leading up to the start of Training Camps in July, we are taking a team-by-team tour with fantasy previews for each NFL squad. We'll detail the key offseason moves, position battles to watch, and other things to keep an eye on as the clubs prepare for the season ahead.

Notable Offseason Moves: In an odd combination not seen since Fletch's Scotch-Romanian parents, the Broncos built for the future by trading up to draft quarterback Jay Cutler, then turned their second-round pick into Javon Walker. Denver also bid farewell to offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, who takes over the Texans. Tight end Jeb Putzier followed him to Houston, and his roster spot was filled in the draft by Tony Scheffler. Trevor Pryce and Monsanto Pope also left town, so the Broncos went to their defensive linemen farm system in Cleveland and acquired Kenard Lang. Perhaps the most notable offseason move, however, was the re-signing of third-stringer Ron Dayne to replace new Ravens running back Mike Anderson in between the tackles.

Position Battles: Since no one in their right mind believes Dayne will keep the starting running back gig Mike Shanahan says is his, you have to monitor the battle between Dayne and Tatum Bell. Kubiak's departure doesn't likely mean the Broncos will stray from their tried-and-true offensive approach which has yielded 1,000-yard runners since the dawn of time. Walker has been handed a starting job, which certainly didn't sit well with Ashley Lelie. The former first-rounder would be fighting with Darius Watts for the third job if he wasn't opting out of mini-camp workouts. The only thing standing between Scheffler and regular playing time is oft-injured Stephen Alexander, so that "battle" will likely take care of itself.

Keep an Eye On: We don't expect Shanahan to replace Jake Plummer with Cutler any time soon, but there are plenty of developments in the Denver passing game. Is Walker's surgically repaired knee ready to go, and will he fit into the Broncos' run-first game plan? Does Rod Smith have another year left in the tank? Will Lelie quit whining and settle for being the third receiver, or will Watts elevate his game and take over that role? And who'll be on the business end of the Broncos' favorite passing play, the bootleg toss to the tight end?
    sigpic
  • CHUMP-to-CHAMP
    Practice Squad
    • Feb 2006

Good Read. No Haven't Read This Yet. :d

Comment

• DiehardinAlaska
      Special Teams
      • May 2005

Nate Jackson

That's the answer to the last question in the article. I'm predicting Jackson wins the TE2 position and through the year plits time with and helps mentor the new kid. But I have a hunch Jackson will catch quite a few balls.
      "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

• DenverBuckeye
        Bench Warmer
        • Apr 2006

I have a feeling this will be the year of the Watts.

He will be the new #3 WR for us and Brandon Marshall will be #4.
        Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

• Perry1977
          Hollow.
          • Aug 2003

"Since no one in their right mind believes Dayne will keep the starting running back gig Mike Shanahan says is his, you have to monitor the battle between Dayne and Tatum Bell."

Yeah, right. Bell wishes he could win that battle.

Comment

• DenverBuckeye
            Bench Warmer
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Perry1977
            "Since no one in their right mind believes Dayne will keep the starting running back gig Mike Shanahan says is his, you have to monitor the battle between Dayne and Tatum Bell."

Yeah, right. Bell wishes he could win that battle.
            He can, because he has the talent too. He just hasn't shown he can be a feature back in this league yet.

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

• Perry1977
              Hollow.
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DenverBuckeye
              He can, because he has the talent too. He just hasn't shown he can be a feature back in this league yet.

Right. Save this thread and I'll see ya in three months.

Comment

• D.J.55
                Bench Warmer
                • May 2005

i don't matter who win the job just as long as they produce.

Comment

• DenverBuckeye
                  Bench Warmer
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by D.J.55
                  i don't matter who win the job just as long as they produce.
                  True. More than likely it will be like it was last year. A two back system except I don't think it will be as good as last year's.

Comment

• D.J.55
                    Bench Warmer
                    • May 2005

i think it could be just as good, if not better. we still got bell and dayne is going to replace anderson as the power back. we still dont know about cobbs. i looking forward to perseason and watching how he fits our system.

Comment

Working...
                    X