Gary Russell Available?

Many of you may remember this guy as the backup to Maroney at University of Minnesota. he has good size and speed and appeared very explosive at times.

He is not enrolled in UM this coming year due to academic problems and has not enrolled in a NAIA school. So rumor has it he may petition for the supplemental draft. If he does I would be very open to taking a look at this guy.

If he tests well I would think somewhere in the late second or third round range of the supplemental draft.

any thoughts on him or where you might like to see him go?

I watched a few of his starts, but I didn't come away overly impressed...not enough to be comfortable with investing a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him. But then again, I didn't watch too closely either.

He was certainly productive though.

He's a nice player , but I don't think he would be much of an upgrade over what we have already. Minnesota always produces good RBs and he is another one of them. I wouldn't mind getting him in the 5th or 6th round.
    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3...eyesig3ba6.jpg

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

he fits our system. 6th round pick would be the highest i'd give for him.

Interesting comments. For me it depends on how well he tests out. He comes from a system that is exactly like ours. If he could run around a 4.4 40 I would be willing to invest more than a fifth or sixth rounder on him.

I've been looking around for some news on this thing, but there's nothing substantial. From cruising a few other forums, I've seen people say that he cannot enter the supp while someone else said that he's close to getting his academic eligibility back after passing a community college course.

Gopher RB Gary Russell Leaves School

By Chris Monter

Date: Feb 4, 2006

Minnesota sophomore running back Gary Russell is no longer in school, due to academics. Russell is not enrolled in classes for the 2006 spring semester and will attend a junior college with the hopes of becoming eligible next season. Russell rushed 164 times for 1,045 yards (6.4 yards per carry) and 18 rushing touchdowns this season.

Gary Russell has been attending classes this semester but was not offically enrolled in the university.

If he is not able to rejoin the team, the Gophers would be very thin at running back with just Amir Pinnix having previous experience at the position. Freshman Jay Thomas suffered a torn ACL injury, which could force him to miss part of the upcoming season. The Gophers have returning fullback Justin Valentine, who could play runnning back, and newcomers Brylee Callender, E.J. Jones and Terrence Sherrer.

"I'm mostly frustrated and disappointed with myself because I could have avoided this problem," Russell told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I messed up."

“While this is disappointing for everyone involved, we want what is best for Gary and will help him in any way allowable,” said Gopher head football coach Glen Mason. “Gary has been a part of our family and we will continue to support him.”

Russell, a sophomore running back, was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week as he set career highs in rushing attempts (28), yards (188) and touchdowns (3) to lead Minnesota to a road victory at Indiana for the first time since 1985 and bowl eligibility for the fourth straight season. With Big Ten rushing leader Laurence Maroney slowed by an ankle injury, Russell stepped up with his best effort of his college career.

Russell appeared in eight games as a freshman as he finished with 144 yards on 24 carries with a long of 15 yards.

Russell was a 2004 graduate of Walnut Ridge (OH) High and was named to the SuperPrep Midwest Team. He was an all-state selection, was a three-time all-city and all-conference performer and a two-time all-county and all-area choice. Russell gained 2,136 yards and scored 29 touchdowns his senior season after rushing for 1,800 yards and 29 scores his junior season. He played in the North-South All-Star Game and also lettered in wrestling and basketball.
    http://minnesota.scout.com/2/496780.html?refid=3640

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    I've been looking around for some news on this thing, but there's nothing substantial. From cruising a few other forums, I've seen people say that he cannot enter the supp while someone else said that he's close to getting his academic eligibility back after passing a community college course.
    First the deadline for submitting his name for consideration is not until June 30. So any reports that he can't are bogus at this point. Whether he should or not is another issue. A year as a starter would go along way.

Here is the news today from Pasquerelli:

• Former University of Minnesota tailback Gary Russell, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards in 2005 as the backup to New England Patriots first-round choice Laurence Maroney, likely will petition for entry into the supplemental draft before the June 30 deadline. Russell was dismissed from the Gophers' squad by coach Glen Mason for academic reasons and, despite taking courses in the spring aimed at restoring his eligibility, is not enrolled back at Minnesota for the fall semester. It's believed he has not enrolled at an NAIA school, where he could play immediately. That doesn't leave Russell, a back with good size (5-feet-11, 215 pounds), speed and power with many alternatives if he wants to play football. Despite playing behind Maroney last season, Russell still rushed for 1,045 yards and 18 touchdowns on 164 carries. He also caught 14 passes for 157 yards and one touchdown.