Page 1 of 1469 1 2 3 11 51 101 501 1001 ... LastLast

Official Colorado Rockies Thread

First off i hope the title of this thread makes some people laugh cuz i know i laughed all while i was making it. but seriously i do follow the rockies just to see how bad they are, so if anyone has a discussion to make, go ahead and start it. and please continue to laugh
    Last edited by jetrazor74; 05-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    [IMG]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/FP3926~Texas-Longhorns-Logo-Posters.jpg[/IMG]Any coach who listens to fans is going to be sitting with them pretty soon. - Bobby Bowden

Quote Originally Posted by AvsFan26
    First off i hope the title of this thread makes some people laugh cuz i know i laughed all while i was making it. but seriously i do follow the rockies just to see how bad they are, so if anyone has a discussion to make, go ahead and start it. and please continue to laugh
    they arent doing all that bad

im a fan and im not laughing

Even if you think the Rockies are laugh-worthy right now (which they aren't), they won't be for long. The farm system (especially the Tulsa Drillers) is stacked with talent and they should be reaping the benefits by next season. Watch out for Ubaldo Jimenez who has been dominant in AA and will soon be promoted to AAA. His violent, injury-causing mechanics have been improved and his stuff, which features a 100+ MPH fastball, is as good as ever. Also, look out for catcher Chris Iannetta who was just promoted to AAA. He could be the Rockies opening day catcher in 2007 (though I'd still put my money on Torrealba).

As for the current Rockies, I'm very happy with them this season. Sure, we all knew they'd be better this year than last year, but how many people thought they'd still be a relevant team in the NL West in late June? I sure as hell didn't. The "Gen-R" thing has worked out very well. I couldn't be happier with Hawpe, Holliday, and Atkins. Clint Barmes, on the other hand, has been terrible at the plate. Hopefully, Hurdle moving him up in the lineup will help. The starting pitching rotation is as good as it's been in years. Jennings, Cook, and Francis at the top of the rotation are very solid while Kim and Fogg have both been pleasant surprises at the bottom end. However, I'm not happy with the bullpen at all. Jose Mesa completely blew it last night and looked like the Jose Mesa of years past, not the one who played so well at the beginning of this season. Ray King and Tom Martin are only decent lefties. Scott Dohmann's hasn't played well. David Cortes has been alright. But only Ramon Ramirez has been anything special. He could potentially be a closer or starter as well, but this year, I'd rather have him as the setup man than Mesa. Fuentes, of course, is a good closer.

Are there any other big Rockies fans here? And how do you guys feel about the current state of the organization?
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChicken
    Even if you think the Rockies are laugh-worthy right now (which they aren't), they won't be for long. The farm system (especially the Tulsa Drillers) is stacked with talent and they should be reaping the benefits by next season. Watch out for Ubaldo Jimenez who has been dominant in AA and will soon be promoted to AAA. His violent, injury-causing mechanics have been improved and his stuff, which features a 100+ MPH fastball, is as good as ever. Also, look out for catcher Chris Iannetta who was just promoted to AAA. He could be the Rockies opening day catcher in 2007 (though I'd still put my money on Torrealba).

As for the current Rockies, I'm very happy with them this season. Sure, we all knew they'd be better this year than last year, but how many people thought they'd still be a relevant team in the NL West in late June? I sure as hell didn't. The "Gen-R" thing has worked out very well. I couldn't be happier with Hawpe, Holliday, and Atkins. Clint Barmes, on the other hand, has been terrible at the plate. Hopefully, Hurdle moving him up in the lineup will help. The starting pitching rotation is as good as it's been in years. Jennings, Cook, and Francis at the top of the rotation are very solid while Kim and Fogg have both been pleasant surprises at the bottom end. However, I'm not happy with the bullpen at all. Jose Mesa completely blew it last night and looked like the Jose Mesa of years past, not the one who played so well at the beginning of this season. Ray King and Tom Martin are only decent lefties. Scott Dohmann's hasn't played well. David Cortes has been alright. But only Ramon Ramirez has been anything special. He could potentially be a closer or starter as well, but this year, I'd rather have him as the setup man than Mesa. Fuentes, of course, is a good closer.

Are there any other big Rockies fans here? And how do you guys feel about the current state of the organization?
    as i stated above, i am, im a season ticket holder (or at least my uncle is and he gives me tickets), and i frequently go to games

when we had that losing stretch for awhile, i was worried, but im glad to see we got it straight again and we're doing great again. Ive been watching Barmes and you can just tell right off the bat he hasn't been the same since his injury. Our outfield i admit has suprised me alot, although when we traded for Eric Byrnes last year i was excited, then to trade him right away really disappointed me because he started performing and had some good at bats for us while he was here. Fuentes came out of nowhere last year, and Helton is a solid piece for this franchise years to come. I had a feeling it was possible that we would win the NL West this year, and its looking almost like a reality if we can just get back to the play we were at the beginning of the year. Kim, is an alright pitcher but ive watched a few games, and i remember thinking to myself that he would be great in the bull pen, his pitch selection is too predictable to be giving off the runs that i have seen him give so early. Cook has been a suprise, but i went to a Houston game here in Denver and it annoyed me watching him pitch. his selection was something along the lines of Sinker, Sinker, Fastball, for about 4 innings, and they caught on quick. Overall though? the future of this team is BRIGHT, i see great things coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by str8jacket
    as i stated above, i am, im a season ticket holder (or at least my uncle is and he gives me tickets), and i frequently go to games

when we had that losing stretch for awhile, i was worried, but im glad to see we got it straight again and we're doing great again. Ive been watching Barmes and you can just tell right off the bat he hasn't been the same since his injury. Our outfield i admit has suprised me alot, although when we traded for Eric Byrnes last year i was excited, then to trade him right away really disappointed me because he started performing and had some good at bats for us while he was here. Fuentes came out of nowhere last year, and Helton is a solid piece for this franchise years to come. I had a feeling it was possible that we would win the NL West this year, and its looking almost like a reality if we can just get back to the play we were at the beginning of the year. Kim, is an alright pitcher but ive watched a few games, and i remember thinking to myself that he would be great in the bull pen, his pitch selection is too predictable to be giving off the runs that i have seen him give so early. Cook has been a suprise, but i went to a Houston game here in Denver and it annoyed me watching him pitch. his selection was something along the lines of Sinker, Sinker, Fastball, for about 4 innings, and they caught on quick. Overall though? the future of this team is BRIGHT, i see great things coming soon
    Thanks to college, I'm no longer a season ticket holder. But I've gone to quite a few games this summer now that I'm back home. I also went to a couple Asheville Tourists games back in early May. Speaking of the Tourists, did anyone catch Joe Mikulik's rampage? Mikulik's my new favorite member of the Rockies organization!

Anyway, I'm becoming a pretty big fan of Kim. His repertoire is basically just three pitches - solid 2- and 4-seam fastballs and an inconsistent, but dangerous slider. His awkward delivery just makes him hard to hit consistently despite his predictability. Cook is probably the best pitcher we've got. Sure he pretty much uses the sinker exclusively with the occasional 4-seamer, but that sinker is one of the best in the majors. It consistently produces ground balls. And at Coors Field, even with the humidor, a good ground ball ratio is very important for success.

alright guys i do apologize for the first page of the thread but i must admit as much as i have despised this team in the past, they are starting to make up for past mistakes. i think that we are going in the right direction, i just still worry about this club with Dan o'Dowd at the helm. sure were at .500 now, but i fear a trade he makes with someone like Barmes or Carrol. this team has loads and loads of potential, and i do like the idea of getting matsui and money for almost nothing, so im even starting to have faith in O'Dowd. once again, i am still waiting for the one move that ends this build up.
    [IMG]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/FP3926~Texas-Longhorns-Logo-Posters.jpg[/IMG]Any coach who listens to fans is going to be sitting with them pretty soon. - Bobby Bowden

Quote Originally Posted by AvsFan26
    alright guys i do apologize for the first page of the thread but i must admit as much as i have despised this team in the past, they are starting to make up for past mistakes. i think that we are going in the right direction, i just still worry about this club with Dan o'Dowd at the helm. sure were at .500 now, but i fear a trade he makes with someone like Barmes or Carrol. this team has loads and loads of potential, and i do like the idea of getting matsui and money for almost nothing, so im even starting to have faith in O'Dowd. once again, i am still waiting for the one move that ends this build up.
    You don't have to worry about Barmes or Carroll being traded. There's very little infield depth this year. Kaz Matsui is hurt, Jason Smith and Luis Gonzalez haven't played well in AAA, and Omar Quintanilla is not an improvement over Barmes or Carroll. Further safeguarding Barmes and Carroll is that Hurdle is in love with Barmes and Carroll is the only legitimate lead off hitter on the team. Really, the only thing to worry about right now is that O'Dowd trades Ryan Shealy and doesn't get anything good in return. Luckily, O'Dowd rejected a Ryan Shealy for Javy Lopez trade which is definitely a good sign. And even if O'Dowd makes some bad moves involving the infield prior to the deadline, it still can't possibly hurt the future of the team that much. Top prospects Ian Stewart and Troy Tulowitzki should be ready for the majors next season. Both have all-star potential.

Thanks to college, I'm no longer a season ticket holder. But I've gone to quite a few games this summer now that I'm back home. I also went to a couple Asheville Tourists games back in early May. Speaking of the Tourists, did anyone catch Joe Mikulik's rampage? Mikulik's my new favorite member of the Rockies organization!

Anyway, I'm becoming a pretty big fan of Kim. His repertoire is basically just three pitches - solid 2- and 4-seam fastballs and an inconsistent, but dangerous slider. His awkward delivery just makes him hard to hit consistently despite his predictability. Cook is probably the best pitcher we've got. Sure he pretty much uses the sinker exclusively with the occasional 4-seamer, but that sinker is one of the best in the majors. It consistently produces ground balls. And at Coors Field, even with the humidor, a good ground ball ratio is very important for success.
    i agree with your points

theres just something about Kim and Cook, Kim just seems like he would be perfect in the Bullpen to me, i dont know why (thats why hes in my bullpen in MLB 2k6) and Cook sometimes gets burned with the amount of sinkers he throws in a short amount of time, i definatly agree with the whole ground ball part though on him, but his stamina is what bothers me, when he got into about the 6th inning of a game i went to he threw a meatball of a sinker to a batter and he paid for it, ive been hearing alot about Dontrelle Willis being offered up as trade bait, hes a very good young pitcher and i think hed be great as a Rockie

i agree with your points

theres just something about Kim and Cook, Kim just seems like he would be perfect in the Bullpen to me, i dont know why (thats why hes in my bullpen in MLB 2k6) and Cook sometimes gets burned with the amount of sinkers he throws in a short amount of time, i definatly agree with the whole ground ball part though on him, but his stamina is what bothers me, when he got into about the 6th inning of a game i went to he threw a meatball of a sinker to a batter and he paid for it, ive been hearing alot about Dontrelle Willis being offered up as trade bait, hes a very good young pitcher and i think hed be great as a Rockie
    The Marlins have said they don't want to trade Willis, but it's possible that they're saying this simply to drive up his trade value. It'll take a lot to get him - we'd have no choice but to include a top prospect like Tulowitzki, Stewart, or Jimenez in such a trade. I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with any of those three. Also, another name that keeps coming up for the Rockies is Carl Crawford. Crawford could be an everyday leadoff hitter which would allow Carroll to get some rest once in a while. Again, it would take one of the aforementioned prospects to get Crawford.

As for Kim being in the bullpen, the main question is whether he'd accept it (assuming someone like Jimenez is able to join the rotation at some point this year). In general, pitchers from Korea aspire to be starters or closers, not something in between. Also, Kim has very good stamina which helps make him a good starter. But I could agree that Kim's stuff could make him a good setup man or long reliever.

Concerning Cook, I have this cliche to offer: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Marlins have said they don't want to trade Willis, but it's possible that they're saying this simply to drive up his trade value. It'll take a lot to get him - we'd have no choice but to include a top prospect like Tulowitzki, Stewart, or Jimenez in such a trade. I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with any of those three. Also, another name that keeps coming up for the Rockies is Carl Crawford. Crawford could be an everyday leadoff hitter which would allow Carroll to get some rest once in a while. Again, it would take one of the aforementioned prospects to get Crawford.

As for Kim being in the bullpen, the main question is whether he'd accept it (assuming someone like Jimenez is able to join the rotation at some point this year). In general, pitchers from Korea aspire to be starters or closers, not something in between. Also, Kim has very good stamina which helps make him a good starter. But I could agree that Kim's stuff could make him a good setup man or long reliever.

Concerning Cook, I have this cliche to offer: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    very true, if i remember correctly Kim was in the bullpen a few years back right?

Well, Carl Crawford could be a great leadoff hitter, and it will take alot to get D-Train, but for some reason i think they are just trying to drive up value due to their recent fire sale over the off-season, but of course to get anything in this league your going to have to give right?

very true, if i remember correctly Kim was in the bullpen a few years back right?

Well, Carl Crawford could be a great leadoff hitter, and it will take alot to get D-Train, but for some reason i think they are just trying to drive up value due to their recent fire sale over the off-season, but of course to get anything in this league your going to have to give right?
    Both are correct.

Anyway, how about this game tonight? Talk about rebounding from a disappointing loss!

Both are correct.

Anyway, how about this game tonight? Talk about rebounding from a disappointing loss!
    i didnt see it

ive been prepping for surgery darnit

i didnt see it

ive been prepping for surgery darnit
    Oh, what kind of surgery are you getting? Whatever it is, good luck with it.

The score's 12-3 Rockies in the top of the 8th. Angels starter Jeff Weaver after 2.0 IP after giving up 6 runs. Every Rockies batter has two hits except for Matt Holliday who has three (all doubles) and Closser who has one (along with 2 walks). Finally, Cook has gotten the run support he needs.

Jeff Weaver blows chunks...

LAA should axe him in favor of his younger brother, Jered. Jered Weaver was their best pitcher in his short time up...

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Jeff Weaver blows chunks...

LAA should axe him in favor of his younger brother, Jered. Jered Weaver was their best pitcher in his short time up...
    No kidding. The Angels would've been better off just putting the ball on a tee for the Rockies. Ironically, Jered is starting tomorrow against the Rockies AAA team.