Page 1025 of 1469 FirstFirst ... 25 525 925 975 1015 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1035 1075 1125 ... LastLast
Results 15,361 to 15,375 of 22021
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
    Everyone go watch Chris Iannetta on ESPN!
    Go Chris! *sigh*

Helton hit a HR in his first AB of Spring Training.

While he probably will never have his old power, it sure is nice to have him back.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    Helton hit a HR in his first AB of Spring Training.

While he probably will never have his old power, it sure is nice to have him back.
    I agree.

Chris Iannetta was AWESOME for team USA last night, it was great to watch some baseball again. When he hit that double I thought it was out of the park and I almost died. He better play like this when it matters for the home team.
    ...capture it...remember it...

Today was the reunion of the Rox and Holliday.

AND WE CRUSHED HIM!!

14-7, but Matt actually went 2-3 and an RBI. De La Rosa only could get one out at the beginning of the game before being pulled.

Good news is that Speier hasn't allowed a run all Spring (knock on wood) and I wonder if he is getting consideration at a rotation spot. Morillo is also doing good so far this spring and I hope he makes the roster.

Some other notes:
    Spilly went 2-3, 3 RBI
    Barmes 0-5 (sorry Snap) but still has a .350 average
    Atkins 2-2
    Tulo 1-3
    Fasano 2-2
    Fowler 1-2
    Murton 2-2 and a HR
    Torrealba 2-3

Hadnt seen this sotry posted here, but, its a good one

USA tugs Iannetta from Italian roots

TORONTO – This is a baseball tale born at the intersection of an Italian love story and an American dream, one as improbable as the next.

It begins in two villages near Naples, Casa Nova to the south, Scapoli to the north. Maria DiLorenzo was 8 days old when her mother died. She was 5 when her father, Armando, remarried to an American woman he’d met while she was visiting Italy and moved the family from Casa Nova to Providence, Rhode Island. He didn’t speak a word of English when he arrived, and took a factory job cutting patterns for baby clothes.

Domenic Iannetta was 8 when his father, Virgilio, moved his family from Scapoli and settled in Providence, no more than five minutes away from where Maria lived. The fathers, Armando and Virgilio, became friends at the neighborhood bocce ball club. Maria went to school with Domenic Iannetta’s sister and became best friends. Maria and Domenic knew each other from elementary school, began dating at 17, and eventually married.

Their first-born son, Chris, played Little League in the neighborhood. One day, the catcher on Chris’ team broke his wrist. John Marano, the family friend who coached the team, decided that the Iannetta boy looked like a catcher. The boy hated it at first.

“He’d tell John, ‘I don’t want to do this,’ ” Maria Iannetta said Monday. “I’d tell him, ‘Chris, your team needs you, and don’t worry, you won’t have to do this for long.’ But then he realized a catcher is involved in every play, and has been doing it ever since.”

Only four major-league catchers in baseball history have come from Rhode Island. The most famous is Gabby Hartnett, the Hall of Famer. The latest is Chris Iannetta, who plays for the Colorado Rockies and now is catching in the World Baseball Classic.

Iannetta doesn’t recall all the details of how his mother and father met, but he knew enough of the story to begin planning to play for Italy, the country of his parents’ birth. Italian officials contacted his agent. Team USA?

“I figured it would be [Brian] McCann and [Joe] Mauer,” he said. “I didn’t think there would be an opportunity.”

But then Mauer had surgery in December for a blockage in his kidney, and couldn’t play. Team USA needed a catcher. They turned to Iannetta. A math major at the University of North Carolina – he wasn’t drafted out of high school, but was Colorado’s fourth-round pick as a junior with the Tar Heels – Iannetta did not have to agonize over his decision.

“I was kind of set on playing for Italy,” he said, “but when the chance to play for the USA came up, it was a no-brainer.”

On Sunday, Iannetta made his first start one to remember. He came to bat with the bases loaded in the fifth inning of a tie game against Venezuela and cleared the bases with a gapper. Even though he never stopped running and wound up at third, he was credited only with a double. “I’m not going to quibble over that,” he said. “Not when we won.”

Iannetta later walked and singled for another RBI in USA’s 15-6 win. A kid from the smallest state in the nation, who thought he’d be playing under another nation’s flag, had his Star-Spangled moment.

“It’s awesome to represent our country,” Iannetta said. “It’s way bigger than one person.”

Unlike many big leaguers who know little about the history of the sport they play, Iannetta was aware that Hartnett was a Rhode Islander, and that Napoleon Lajoie, another Hall of Famer from the turn of the last century, hailed from there too.

“I collect vintage autographs,” Iannetta said. “Babe Ruth. [Lou] Gehrig. Walter Johnson. Lajoie. Jimmie Foxx, those guys.

“I started in high school. One of the high school coaches collected and got me into it. I really enjoy it. I get them on eBay, auction houses. You start small, save some money, it gets more expensive, but it’s a good investment if you know what you’re doing.

“But I don’t do it for the monetary value. These are some of the best guys who ever played the game, and to think they stopped to sign some kid’s ball, that’s pretty awesome.”

Armando DiLorenzo, who long ago had grown to understand this American creation known as baseball, had hoped to take his grandson back to Italy, to see the village where his mother was born. They made plans to go back in the off-season of 2005, then again in 2006. Both times, Chris Iannetta had to cancel; the Rockies had ordered him to winter development league.

DiLorenzo died in 2007. Virgilio Iannetta died the following year. Chris Iannetta has yet to visit Italy. But before his grandfathers died, both got to turn on their TV sets and watch Iannetta play in the big leagues.

And Sunday night, first-generation Americans Maria and Domenic Iannetta were watching, too.

“What an honor,” Maria Iannetta said. “You can’t imagine what this means to Chris, and to us.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Well, at least the Rockies are stringing together some wins in Spring Training

Man, it was strange to see the photos of Holliday in green and white
    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by SmithOverTO View Post
    Well, at least the Rockies are stringing together some wins in Spring Training

Man, it was strange to see the photos of Holliday in green and white
    The colors do not suit him.

Did anyone see Ubaldo pitch yesterday? Man he was on fire! Hope the Rox get that effort all year long.

Rox playing the Indians and Cook has pitched 5 innings, only allowing 3 hits. Matt Murton is 2-3 (no way this guy doesn't make the team) and we lead 4-0 in the bottom of the 6th.

I'm liking the top end of our rotation and our bullpen so far this Spring, now some people need to step up for the #4 and #5 spot.

I have a small gift for you guys:

Part One:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wezb39UhJtE

Part Two:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=738xxZ_sH2Q

Everyone's favorite hot-dog loving broadcaster George Frazier talking about the Rockies and some other baseball-related things. These are actually pretty great interviews, but don't get your hopes up. There is zero bickering. But its still nice to see/hear him. He actually makes some good points, I didn't know he had it in him to talk about actual baseball. I guess I assumed he only knew how to comment about his days with the Yankees and how much he loves mayo. Despite him hating on the great state of Wyoming, I still love him. I swear that man is my hero.

I have a small gift for you guys:

Part One:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wezb39UhJtE

Part Two:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=738xxZ_sH2Q

Everyone's favorite hot-dog loving broadcaster George Frazier talking about the Rockies and some other baseball-related things. These are actually pretty great interviews, but don't get your hopes up. There is zero bickering. But its still nice to see/hear him. He actually makes some good points, I didn't know he had it in him to talk about actual baseball. I guess I assumed he only knew how to comment about his days with the Yankees and how much he loves mayo. Despite him hating on the great state of Wyoming, I still love him. I swear that man is my hero.
    No food jokes? No agreeing with replays? That isn't George, it is an alien or something.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    No food jokes? No agreeing with replays? That isn't George, it is an alien or something.
    Maybe he is on some form of medication.

Is it just me, or does he have the weirdest hair style ever?

Maybe he is on some form of medication.

Is it just me, or does he have the weirdest hair style ever?
    Electroshock therapy, that explains everything.

Drew: Aaron Cook throws, and he strikes out Eric Byrnes looking. That is the third out of the inning.

George: When I played for New York I struck out a lot of guys looking, and then I would always buy a hot dog for myself. I would make sure to put a lot of mayo on it. You know I eat 50 eggs every morning at the diner?

Drew: Is that right? *pushes button under desk which sends a shock through George's chair*

George: Here comes Tulowitzki to the plate, he hit a single in his first at bat and is on a three day hitting streak. He is hitting a .300 in the month of April and has managed to reach base successfully in his last 5 games.

Fans:

Drew: Aaron Cook throws, and he strikes out Eric Byrnes looking. That is the third out of the inning.

George: When I played for New York I struck out a lot of guys looking, and then I would always buy a hot dog for myself. I would make sure to put a lot of mayo on it. You know I eat 50 eggs every morning at the diner?

Drew: Is that right? *pushes button under desk which sends a shock through George's chair*

George: Here comes Tulowitzki to the plate, he hit a single in his first at bat and is on a three day hitting streak. He is hitting a .300 in the month of April and has managed to reach base successfully in his last 5 games.

Fans:
    Good ol' Drew and George.

I wonder what he would be like if his son ever hit the big leagues with the Rox.