View Poll Results: Should we sign Dwight Freeney in the Free Agency?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he would solve the pass rush!

72 65.45%
  • No, he wants to be the highest paid defensive player, too much of a cap problem.

38 34.55%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dwight Freeney

Dwight Freeney

I'm sure as Denver fans you know one of our prime weaknesses was the pass rush. We ranked second to last with only the 49ers below us, that is sad in today's NFL. The Seahawks led the league in sacks I believe, and thats why they are in the superbowl and we are not.

Our line could not get pressure and as Big Ben sat in the pocket, he picked apart our absent defense who has shown up once in the playoffs since Plummer has taken the lead.

Our current line up consists of:
    RE: Courtney Brown
    WDE: Michael Myers (Dumervil on Nickel packages)
    SDE: Gerrard Warren
    LE: Ebenzer Ekuban

I could be wrong on the ends, but those guys look like the starters as far as last year goes. Those guys didn't cut it last year, maybe it was the roadblocking scheme, maybe it was their lack of ability that got them their ticket out of cleveland in the first place. This year is the year our line is going to use the Browncos to get pressure themselves. If it works, hallelujah. I doubt it will work as they have tried to get pressure together, and only Ekuban did a decent job of it that one year with 8 sacks. Granted he was injured, if that's the best they may have, I'm surely not optimistic they can improve drastically enough to have a 10 sack+ performer emerge. Corey Jackson or Dumervil could do it, but I doubt it. They sound good, but I don't see them emerging with 10 sacks their first year on the Broncos.

Luckily for us, all hope may not be lost! Lelie is still tradable and could snag us a live pass rusher if we throw in a pick, Hayward maybe, even if he's not being shopped, I so wish we could have him back. We still most likely will get the draft pick or runningback out of Lelie though, as far as it looks now.

If all else fails there is another possibility. Dwight Freeney.

Call me crazy, but imagine this guy on our line? There goes our pass rush problems.

Currently, he is in the last year of his contract and has not been resigned yet by Indianapolis. This situation comes after Robert Mathis, a surprise sack artist from the 5th round, landed a huge contract.

I don't even need to say how much of a proven pass rusher he is, double digit sacks the last four years since he has been in the NFL, a career high 16 last year.

I was just thinking, since the Colts might not resign him due to cap space. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league I hear. The Colts might not keep him given that ultimatum. He may be a valuable player on their defense, but the price may be too high for him to be retained.

Many teams would be vying for his services in the Free Agency, but his large payment will drive several suitors away. We might not be the most cap free team, as are close to breaking even salary wise, we were only like 10.7 something million before the draft and Javon Walker's huge contract.

Signing some of our rookies will also take some cap blows and we could see around 3 million to 7 million free cap space.

Here is my thinking on how I think it should play out.

The Browncos will unfortunately not pan out, we made an effort, but only Warren deserves to stay unless Ekuban or another person steps it up and gets some sacks. Ekuban is in the last year of his contract and could be let go. Courtney Brown could be let go if he underperforms again. Rod or Lynch could retire, and while a sad and solemn blow to talent would free up cap space, but no need to rush those guys. Keep playin' hard. If they pan out, lets try actually keeping the guy who gets the sacks.... otherwise...

We shed the browncos and Lelie so that we can pick Freeney in the Free agency. This is all reliant on if he is released and what our cap condition is. If our guys can't step up and he is released, Shanahan would be foolish to not consider his ability to help us.

Thoughts?

Opinions?

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

i voted yes just because it would help tremendously but i seriosuly doubt it will happen

I voted no. Not just because hes going to make us break the bank...But because I think besides Michael Vick and Vince Young is probably the most overrated player in the leauge.

He only does 1 thing. Which is rush the passer, hes not very good against the run. If we are going to break the bank for a DE, I want a complete player. I want a seymour/peppers type of player and probably how Mario Williams is going to turn out. A guy who plays the run hard, is able to put pressure on the QB maybe not get all the sacks(which freeny only had 11 last year anyway) but can also get a hand up to block the view of the QB, trap him, being able to drop back into coverge from time to time. I want a complete DE not a guy who "only" rushes the QB.

Also A guy who can play the inside or outside on the DL like the players I mentioned are incredibly valuable.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMdVHruUfI[/url]

Travis Henry, single handedly taking the class out of our organization.

Bowlen, you gutless drunk!

Quote Originally Posted by Elway=Goat
    I voted no. Not just because hes going to make us break the bank...But because I think besides Michael Vick and Vince Young is probably the most overrated player in the leauge.

He only does 1 thing. Which is rush the passer, hes not very good against the run. If we are going to break the bank for a DE, I want a complete player. I want a seymour/peppers type of player and probably how Mario Williams is going to turn out. A guy who plays the run hard, is able to put pressure on the QB maybe not get all the sacks(which freeny only had 11 last year anyway) but can also get a hand up to block the view of the QB, trap him, being able to drop back into coverge from time to time. I want a complete DE not a guy who "only" rushes the QB.

Also A guy who can play the inside or outside on the DL like the players I mentioned are incredibly valuable.
    Well, I'll agree he doesn't stop the run, but look who we have to doing that. Ian Gold, Al Wilson and D.J. Williams are the best linebacker trio in the NFL, arguably. What we could use is a guy who can rush the passer, and create that sack tension, that he gives, with the kind of pressure Pryce gave the QB. He didn't sack, but he provided pressure, and if we could get that consistant force on the line, with Lynch/linebacker corp playing tun support, it could be vicious.

As I said, the down side is breaking the bank to get him, he could offer a lot that we don't have and Courtney Brown/Ebenezer/Trevor Pryce were hardly fantastic on run support. Warren mostly and Myers blocked the middle, with Lynch and the linebackers protected the outside. I see what you mean in that you would like a Defensive End that covers all the bases, but if we need a pass rush, and if he wouldn't completely kill our salary cap, I would not mind picking him up.

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

Sure. Why not? He is a beast.
    Let Shanny worry about the money stuff. I'd get him if he was available.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    picked apart our absent defense who has shown up once in the playoffs since Plummer has taken the lead.
    I tell you, its Larry Coyer! The man is incapable coaching his defense soundly in the playoffs...even in the Pats game this last season he was letting Brady work the defense until Champ picked him off and ran it back.

It would be killer to have Freeney...but no amount of talent will ever be able to compensate for Larry Coyers innate lack of skill. And it would be nice if we can keep Warren if he performs like he did last season, constantly demanding double teams.
    “There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven.” - Robert Green Ingersoll

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of Freeney's stats on artificial turf compared to grass. That can be a factor for speed rushers like Freeney. And obviously it would be a concern if he played for a team, like the Broncos, who plays on grass.

Just a thought...
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

[QUOTE=Elway=Goat]I voted no. Not just because hes going to make us break the bank...But because I think besides Michael Vick and Vince Young is probably the most overrated player in the leauge.

QUOTE]

It sounds like somebody is still burning from the rose bowl.....
    http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1...ftstrazwm7.jpg

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

I voted ''no'' because he's been a bust ever since he came out.
    Go Huskers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    I'm sure as Denver fans you know one of our prime weaknesses was the pass rush. We ranked second to last with only the 49ers below us, that is sad in today's NFL. The Seahawks led the league in sacks I believe, and thats why they are in the superbowl and we are not.

Our line could not get pressure and as Big Ben sat in the pocket, he picked apart our absent defense who has shown up once in the playoffs since Plummer has taken the lead.

Our current line up consists of:
    RE: Courtney Brown
    WDE: Michael Myers (Dumervil on Nickel packages)
    SDE: Gerrard Warren
    LE: Ebenzer Ekuban

I could be wrong on the ends, but those guys look like the starters as far as last year goes. Those guys didn't cut it last year, maybe it was the roadblocking scheme, maybe it was their lack of ability that got them their ticket out of cleveland in the first place. This year is the year our line is going to use the Browncos to get pressure themselves. If it works, hallelujah. I doubt it will work as they have tried to get pressure together, and only Ekuban did a decent job of it that one year with 8 sacks. Granted he was injured, if that's the best they may have, I'm surely not optimistic they can improve drastically enough to have a 10 sack+ performer emerge. Corey Jackson or Dumervil could do it, but I doubt it. They sound good, but I don't see them emerging with 10 sacks their first year on the Broncos.

Luckily for us, all hope may not be lost! Lelie is still tradable and could snag us a live pass rusher if we throw in a pick, Hayward maybe, even if he's not being shopped, I so wish we could have him back. We still most likely will get the draft pick or runningback out of Lelie though, as far as it looks now.

If all else fails there is another possibility. Dwight Freeney.

Call me crazy, but imagine this guy on our line? There goes our pass rush problems.

Currently, he is in the last year of his contract and has not been resigned yet by Indianapolis. This situation comes after Robert Mathis, a surprise sack artist from the 5th round, landed a huge contract.

I don't even need to say how much of a proven pass rusher he is, double digit sacks the last four years since he has been in the NFL, a career high 16 last year.

I was just thinking, since the Colts might not resign him due to cap space. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league I hear. The Colts might not keep him given that ultimatum. He may be a valuable player on their defense, but the price may be too high for him to be retained.

Many teams would be vying for his services in the Free Agency, but his large payment will drive several suitors away. We might not be the most cap free team, as are close to breaking even salary wise, we were only like 10.7 something million before the draft and Javon Walker's huge contract.

Signing some of our rookies will also take some cap blows and we could see around 3 million to 7 million free cap space.

Here is my thinking on how I think it should play out.

The Browncos will unfortunately not pan out, we made an effort, but only Warren deserves to stay unless Ekuban or another person steps it up and gets some sacks. Ekuban is in the last year of his contract and could be let go. Courtney Brown could be let go if he underperforms again. Rod or Lynch could retire, and while a sad and solemn blow to talent would free up cap space, but no need to rush those guys. Keep playin' hard. If they pan out, lets try actually keeping the guy who gets the sacks.... otherwise...

We shed the browncos and Lelie so that we can pick Freeney in the Free agency. This is all reliant on if he is released and what our cap condition is. If our guys can't step up and he is released, Shanahan would be foolish to not consider his ability to help us.

Thoughts?

Opinions?
    First of all, I have little to no interest in adding a player who aspires to be the highest paid defensive player. With how our cap situation is set up, we'll have to blow our entire wad on this guy.

Secondly, if we "shed the browncos," we lose 3 important pieces (I'm guessing that you're not including Warren). Myers and Brown were solid (Myers as the third tackle and Brown was one of the best run defending ends in the league) within their roles last year, and Ekuban served as a primary pass rusher. We'll get a better grasp on Ekuban this year, as he's penciled in for a more prominent role. I don't think cutting these three would create too much cap space anyways...especially Brown. So, we have one Freeney, and two to three more holes to fill.

Third, if Dumervil or Jackson develops as a third down rusher, we'll be in a much better situation as far as pass rush is concerned--and in less need of a mega-bucks end.

Finally, elite pass rushing DE's can be developed, quite easily. I'd much rather draft a DE in the first few rounds. Quentin Moses and Gaines Adams are names to remember...

EDIT-One more thing...

Shanny balked at Abraham's asking price this offseason. Why should we expect anything else when Freeney will no doubt be asking for much more than Abe was?
    Last edited by WABronco; 07-15-2006 at 12:21 PM.

just get rid of courtney brown and ekuban and sign him.

although we might have to cut around 5 more players.
    Sooner born. Sooner bred. And when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Uh, I haven't been on the boards for a while so I feel out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    EDIT-One more thing...

Shanny balked at Abraham's asking price this offseason. Why should we expect anything else when Freeney will no doubt be asking for much more than Abe was?
    Addressing your last point, the Abraham scenario was going on before the new CBA was settled and the salary cap increased. That might have made a difference in signing Abraham (because we didn't have a lot of wiggle room at that time) and it could allow us to go after the likes of Freeney next season.

But that doesn't mean I think we should go after Freeney. We've already got the highest paid cornerback in the league and I don't think we need to have the highest paid anybody else on defense. You can only afford so many "highest paid" players at their position, even with the higher salary cap.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

There is one part you may have missed. Not only does Freeney want to be the highest paid defensive player, the Colts GM Bill Polian has said he wants to make Freeney the highest paid defensive player. No way in hell they let him out of town. If it comes to it they can just franchise tag him.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon
    Addressing your last point, the Abraham scenario was going on before the new CBA was settled and the salary cap increased. That might have made a difference in signing Abraham (because we didn't have a lot of wiggle room at that time) and it could allow us to go after the likes of Freeney next season.
    The CBA was signed on the 8th of March. Abraham was traded on the 21st of March. Shanny had more than enough time to re-enter the Abraham sweepstakes, if he so desired. The problem was, he wasn't willing to give Abraham his 20 mil in guarantees. Our 29th pick was the one that was used by Atlanta to acquire Abraham. He was ours for the taking...

Let's just say I'll be very surprised if Denver goes after Freeney.

I'd love it. . . but no way in Hell. Nada. Zip. Null. Not happening. Comprende?