View Poll Results: Should we sign Dwight Freeney in the Free Agency?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he would solve the pass rush!

    72 65.45%
  • No, he wants to be the highest paid defensive player, too much of a cap problem.

    38 34.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Dwight Freeney

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kay See Mo
    Posts
    7,888
    Its not gonna happen. I think you should want him but it just wont happen. End of discussion.
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

    ^^^Get used to it.^^^

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Frisco, CO
    Posts
    8,150
    If he's available and we can get him, sure!!
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    I'd love it. . . but no way in Hell. Nada. Zip. Null. Not happening. Comprende?
    Considering the lack of things to discuss before training camp, its a welcome break from the:

    Ashley Lelie sucks trade him

    Jay > Jake

    Dayne > Bell

    threads

    and it gives more to talk about, one thing I would be interested in knowing is where exactly each teams Salary cap situation is right now, if not for Freeney, maybe to atleast find out where we'll be after signing the rookies.

    When I say Browncos, I mean them all, Warren proved to be the bright spot, and it definately wouldn't make sense to cut him after giving him a 6 year contract. Ekuban and Brown I believe are in their last years, and could be let go. I'm not saying this is the best option for the Broncos, but it is an option, and I'd just like getting opinions on a possible potential playmaker for the Broncos that could come in the future.

    The next best option in the last year of thier contract is Charles Grant out of New Orleans, after that the list runs pretty thin in the free agency.

    I'm not sure about the draft but we could get a quality rusher, and I would hope we could. If we could get Freeneyish production, or atleast double digit production out of someone else, let someone else break the bank for him.

    Of course, if some of the Browncos pull through, or Dumervil, or Corey Jackson, can get that coveted rush, then there's no need to go for him. I hope we can get that rusher, and this time, for the love of god Shanahan, keep the guy who gets the sacks this time! Whoever it is.

    And Javalon, here is his sacks last year and where:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=5897

    Sacks
    Vs. Jacksonville 1.0 Turf
    Vs. Cleveland 3.0 Turf
    At. San Fran 1.0 Grass
    At. Houston 1.0 Grass
    Vs. Houston 1.0 Turf
    Vs. Pittsburgh 0.5 Turf
    Vs. Tennessee 2.0 Turf
    Vs. Arizona 0.5 Turf

    So, 2/11 sacks were away from the Dome. Granted, Dwight Freeney only played in 4/8 away games according to ESPN.

    San Franciso and Houston are both grass fields, so far only 2/4 games he played on grass fields did he get a sack.

    That's of last year.


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Serenity
    Posts
    12,084
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    The CBA was signed on the 8th of March. Abraham was traded on the 21st of March. Shanny had more than enough time to re-enter the Abraham sweepstakes, if he so desired. The problem was, he wasn't willing to give Abraham his 20 mil in guarantees. Our 29th pick was the one that was used by Atlanta to acquire Abraham. He was ours for the taking...

    Let's just say I'll be very surprised if Denver goes after Freeney.
    Hmm. I guess I remembered that chain of events incorrectly. My mistake (and I hate making those. )

    But I do agree with you that the guaranteed money he was asking was a huge deterrent. I mean, we're talking about a guy that averages around 10 sacks a season and seems to miss a decent number of games. I know he's supposed to command a lot of double teams but we're still talking 10 sacks. We could have kept Hayward or Berry for more sack production and less money with far less guaranteed money.

    I agree with passing on Abraham. While I would like to have feared pass rusher back on the team, Freeney will probably still be out of reasonable contract range because of his stellar rep.

    Then again, a pass rushing presence at DT would make life easier on our defensive ends. It'll be interesting to see what experiments they try this preseason considering all the talk about improving this area. But I'm a little lacking in faith in Coyer's schemes.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Serenity
    Posts
    12,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    And Javalon, here is his sacks last year and where:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=5897

    Sacks
    Vs. Jacksonville 1.0 Turf
    Vs. Cleveland 3.0 Turf
    At. San Fran 1.0 Grass
    At. Houston 1.0 Grass
    Vs. Houston 1.0 Turf
    Vs. Pittsburgh 0.5 Turf
    Vs. Tennessee 2.0 Turf
    Vs. Arizona 0.5 Turf

    So, 2/11 sacks were away from the Dome. Granted, Dwight Freeney only played in 4/8 away games according to ESPN.

    San Franciso and Houston are both grass fields, so far only 2/4 games he played on grass fields did he get a sack.

    That's of last year.
    That's interesting, thanks for the footwork.

    When I have time, I'm going to look back at his previous years as well and see if there's a long term trend.

    Thanks again.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    32 of his 51 career sacks were on turf...so it's not really a definite split IMO.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    I'd definitely take Charles Grant. . . I believe he played DT last year, which is one reason why his numbers (sack) were much lower than usual. Since they had Darren Howard and Will Smith at defensive end. I want him now.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Javalon
    Hmm. I guess I remembered that chain of events incorrectly. My mistake (and I hate making those. )

    But I do agree with you that the guaranteed money he was asking was a huge deterrent. I mean, we're talking about a guy that averages around 10 sacks a season and seems to miss a decent number of games. I know he's supposed to command a lot of double teams but we're still talking 10 sacks. We could have kept Hayward or Berry for more sack production and less money with far less guaranteed money.

    I agree with passing on Abraham. While I would like to have feared pass rusher back on the team, Freeney will probably still be out of reasonable contract range because of his stellar rep.

    Then again, a pass rushing presence at DT would make life easier on our defensive ends. It'll be interesting to see what experiments they try this preseason considering all the talk about improving this area. But I'm a little lacking in faith in Coyer's schemes.
    Heh...gotcha!

    While I was disappointed at the time, I can understand why Shanny was hesitant to take on such a huge contract. Like I said earlier, I'd rather develop some home-grown pass rushing...maybe Dumervil can amp up the pass rush this year.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    I'd definitely take Charles Grant. . . I believe he played DT last year, which is one reason why his numbers (sack) were much lower than usual. Since they had Darren Howard and Will Smith at defensive end. I want him now.
    He's not that old either, atleast that's one position the Saints are stocked on. We might be able to trade Lelie to New Orleans as well. Stallworth had problems with the organization didn't he? And Joe Horn has been slowing down apparently, atleast in my opinion. Reggie Bush can't be Brees's only receiver. Just an idea, about as good as any right now. If we can get doube digit production at a lot less cost, let's get him.

    Keep the opinions coming guys.


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    We did with Reggie Hayward and you saw what we did there. Stupid us.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Serenity
    Posts
    12,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    We did with Reggie Hayward and you saw what we did there. Stupid us.
    Our being cap-strapped definitely played a role in that decision, and the same with Berry before him. The Broncos could have made similar offers to the ones they received elsewhere but they would have had to make painful sacrifices elsewhere on the roster.

    And to be honest, I didn't feel Hawyard was worth the contract the Jags gave him. He wasn't that good against the run and even his pass rush disappeared for long stretches. He was too inconsistent for my taste.

    On the other hand, I was kind of in the middle about Berry. He was solid overall with some good pass rushing ability. Because the Cardinals offered larger base salaries early in the contract, the Broncos couldn't really compete with a similar offer. They couldn't afford the $6 million per year cap hit early on. So I believe the only way they could have topped Arizona's offer would have been a LOT bigger signing bonus which would have been very risky.

    Anyway, that's all water under the bridge. They just need to find a way to fix the weak pass rush. Of course, I could complain yet again about the Broncos not spending high draft picks on pass rushing DEs the past couple of drafts... but I wouldn't want to repeat myself or anything.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    342
    i vote yes. he would be a lot of money, but i have a feeling that freeney would be the final piece to the superbowl puzzle. lynch i dont think will retire, but smith may.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    1,455
    for me, a pass rushing end is not the answer, the anchor of the defense should be at DT, and we are relatively week at the tackle position opposite Warren. If Dumervil or anyone else does not show potential to succeed at DT next year, this should be our main target next offseason.

    The thing with our ends is that they are completely useless without DT's to take up blockers and penetrate the line. Last year we often had Warren take up 2 blockers at a time, but we could still not generate pass rush. For me, both the Defensive End and our Left Defensive Tackle are to blame, but we have taken steps to improve the DE position by jettisoning Pryce and by injecting some youth and some new faces.

    in the 07 offseason we should either take a flyer out on a big name DT and make him our big acquisition or sign a motherload of dline prospects like one of okam, mebane, or thomas
    Blet

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePeel
    for me, a pass rushing end is not the answer, the anchor of the defense should be at DT, and we are relatively week at the tackle position opposite Warren. If Dumervil or anyone else does not show potential to succeed at DT next year, this should be our main target next offseason.

    The thing with our ends is that they are completely useless without DT's to take up blockers and penetrate the line. Last year we often had Warren take up 2 blockers at a time, but we could still not generate pass rush. For me, both the Defensive End and our Left Defensive Tackle are to blame, but we have taken steps to improve the DE position by jettisoning Pryce and by injecting some youth and some new faces.

    in the 07 offseason we should either take a flyer out on a big name DT and make him our big acquisition or sign a motherload of dline prospects like one of okam, mebane, or thomas
    One mistake: Warren was the Left defensive tackle, or the strong side tackle, if you will. You meant the right tackle, or the weakside tackle, which was occupied by Michael Myers and Demetrin Veal on rotation.

    Otherwise, a vary valid point. There are not many big name DTs with expiring contracts out there though, the best was going to be John Henderson, but he signed an extension with Jaguars, followed by Sam Adams who went to the Bengals. Dan Wilkonson is a free agent, as well as Brentson Buckner, if you think those ironmen and oldies can make a contribution that Myers can't (who is also in the last year of his contract by the way).

    The current best with expiring contract this coming offseason are:
    Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee Titans
    Darnell Dockett, Arizona Cardinals

    And the Dolphins have a few decent tackles that in the last year of their contract:
    Larry Chester
    Jeff Zgonina
    Keith Traylor

    The last two are going over 35, and Chester is turning 30 this season, they are old, and I'm not sure, but maybe Traylor or Zgonina retired? I'm not sure, but if not, and if they last this long, only Chester would be worth picking up, since nobody is picking up ironmen like Dan Wilkonson and Brentson Buckner.

    Since Saban is trying to add more youth to his dolphins, don't be surprised to see none of them resigned in favor of other smaller free agent pick ups and a draft pick or two. So they could be available.

    Either way, defensive line wise, there are not a lot of options in the free agency, but there could be a trade for one of the Eagle's lineman. They have 3 good defensive tackles:
    Darwin Walker
    Mike Patterson
    (newly aquired) Broderick Bunkley

    They have a lot of cap space and they could free up even more by trading away one of these lineman, and getting Lelie.

    Then of course, for ends and tackles, there is the fact that some lineman could be released before their contract expires ala Trevor Pryce. Cap casualties could fall into the Free Agency and their could be more options. These are just the ones in the last years of their contracts.


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    27 29 S / 153 8 E
    Posts
    3,495
    We have as much a chance at getting Dwight Freeny, as Hitler's soul has getting rid of that excruciating burning sensation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •