AP article on Walker

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

One giant leap for Walker
    By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
    July 29, 2006

Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker pulls in a pass during the morning football training camp session at the Broncos' headquarters in Denver, Friday, July 28, 2006.
    AP - Jul 28, 5:16 pm EDT
    More Photos

DENVER (AP) -- Nothing was going to wipe away Javon Walker's smile, not even Champ Bailey knocking a pass out of his hands.

Walker, traded from Green Bay to Denver on draft day, ran routes against a full defense Friday for the first time since tearing up his right knee in the Packers' opener at Detroit last season.

"It went better that what I was expecting," Walker said after the Broncos' first training camp workout. "The doctor said that the next rehab is going out there and playing, and that is what I was doing. I wasn't thinking about the knee, I wasn't thinking about cutting, I was just trying to get back to my old self and run the plays right.

"You saw me today doing everything. Now it is just about getting back to my old self and making plays."

Walker skipped the partial-pads afternoon workout -- he'll be limited to one practice a day throughout training camp and will slowly work his way into full-pads drills, which begin in another week.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Walker made a good first impression on coach Mike Shanahan, who traded a second-round pick for the former Pro Bowl receiver who has had two knee surgeries in the last 10 months.

"He had a really good day. I was really pleased. He went through the whole practice, competed in all the drills and made a number of big catches, so it's a good first day for him," Shanahan said. "It was the first time he went against anybody, so it was good to see him, obviously, go full speed against some of our defensive backs and have an excellent practice."

About the only blemish in Walker's workout was the ball that Bailey punched away.

"That was a good first-day challenge," Walker said. "And the thing about it was that I had that ball, but him being the veteran that he is stuck his hand in and knocked it away. Today is the first day, and it is just like 1-on-1s when we were going at each other, so there will be many battles to come and that is the best thing about it. When I am going against him in practice it will make the game so much easier."

Walker and the Broncos are counting on him returning to something like his 2004 self, when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns.

If he does, Walker will cash in. He signed a five-year extension this spring that kicks in after next season and is worth more than $40 million, including March roster bonuses totaling $15 million in 2007 and '08.

If his recovery from his torn right anterior cruciate ligament doesn't go well, the Broncos will only be on the hook for $2.15 million -- his $1.15 million salary this season plus a $1 million roster bonus.

Neither side, however, is looking at this as a short-term union or Shanahan wouldn't have parted with a second-rounder on April 29 after meeting with Walker and determining he was worth the risk.

"I was just hoping that he could get healthy, and so far he looks pretty good," Shanahan said. "He's worked his rear end off for the last few months and has made tremendous strides. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and do what he's done in the past."

Walker said his knee is 90 percent healthy, "so that extra 10 percent is something serious and when I get it, it is going to be fun out here."

"They say it is a mental hurdle to get over," Walker said. "But as far as being out there with no contact and going against the defense I wasn't really thinking about and obviously when we put on pads it will be the same process."

Walker's mental state is a turnaround from a year ago, when he reluctantly reported to the Packers' training camp minus a new deal after threatening for months to hold out for more money. He had a solid camp but caught just four passes in the opener before getting hurt.

He's glad he got out of Green Bay and is thrilled to have the Rocky Mountains as his new backdrop.

"It is a great city, a great environment, and a great team," Walker said, "and to see where this team can possibly go is really exciting, to see that as long as I work and do the things that I can do, I can help this team out and the sky is the limit.

"You play your best football when you are happy, and when you are happy you are out there laughing and joking with the guys. I am happy right now. It is just like going in 2004 ... I was happy. And we can all see what I can do when I am happy."

Updated on Saturday, Jul 29, 2006 3:02 am EDT
    He's saying all the right things, I just want to see him out on the field tho.

Too cool.

Bailey vs. Walker in practices...

ProBowl CB vs. ProBowl WR. It will make both of them that much better. I love it.

Thanks for the read.

We are going to have a great year with all the depth and players we have. Can't wait for the season to start!

Thumbs up

I think u guys have the second best reciever in the NFL, of course behind T.O, nice to see him healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFanatic
    I think u guys have the second best reciever in the NFL, of course behind T.O, nice to see him healthy.
    I'm bias towards many of the broncos players thinking they are better than they really are, but second best WR in the league? I'm not completely sure he is even the best WR on the team (figuring that Rod can still have the year he had last year). TO is the best WR in the league ill give u that but have you heard of Steve Smith, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, or Marvin Harrison? to name a few. Javon is up there in top WR but hes not #2. I hope he proves me wrong though, please prove me wrong Javon!

Great article, thanks for posting it! I'm really excited to see him play now.
    ...capture it...remember it...

Meadows

Quote Originally Posted by rockrules40
    I'm bias towards many of the broncos players thinking they are better than they really are, but second best WR in the league? I'm not completely sure he is even the best WR on the team (figuring that Rod can still have the year he had last year). TO is the best WR in the league ill give u that but have you heard of Steve Smith, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, or Marvin Harrison? to name a few. Javon is up there in top WR but hes not #2. I hope he proves me wrong though, please prove me wrong Javon!
    I think Meadows beat out Foster at RT,but other than that i agree CP to you

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
    I think Meadows beat out Foster at RT,but other than that i agree CP to you
    what the...

where the heck in his post is he talking about Meadows, Foster, or the position RT?

Quote Originally Posted by TDforTatum26
    what the...

where the heck in his post is he talking about Meadows, Foster, or the position RT?
    LOL!!!

I said that exact same thing.

"What the heck?!?!?!"

That was quite random of him.

rt

it is at the bottom i n his sig where he has the end of the season depth chart