Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

A few few Training Camp updates

Broncos | Bailey wearing a harness for precautionary reasons
    Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:27:05 -0700

Denver Broncos CB Champ Bailey (shoulder) said he is still wearing a shoulder harness for precautionary reasons. I don't think I need it but just trying to be careful." Bailey said he would like to contribute on offense this season, but as always, that is up to head coach Mike Shanahan.

Broncos | Shanahan says Brandon could miss a few days
    Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:25:35 -0700

Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said Sunday, July 30, he expects S Sam Brandon (hamstring) to miss two or three days because of a hamstring injury.

Broncos | Shanahan impressed with M. Bell
    Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:24:13 -0700

Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said Sunday, July 30, he is impressed with Broncos' rookie RB Mike Bell. "Mike's having a heck of a camp. He really has stepped up and has been very impressive. A lot of players see him making plays that they haven't seen for awhile. He's right in the mix."

Broncos | Shanahan discusses Meadows
    Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:20:23 -0700

Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said he expects OL Adam Meadows to report to the team Monday, July 31, and practice Tuesday, Aug. 1. He expects Meadows to compete for a starting spot. "He's been a starter in the National Football League, and he's been out about a year and a half. He's had some physical problems, but he's feeling pretty good right now. We'll get him a chance to get in here and compete with the rest of the guys."

Sounds like I'm REALLY starting to get that crow served to me for all the times I've hated on Mike Bell

Thanks, and I didn't get why you hated on Mike Bell in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    I was just mad at all the people that never seen him play and made him out to be the next TD...

It seems like he is turning some heads though, and I'm glad to hear that

By the way, the title of the thread is a type-o -- it should be "A few MORE training camp updates"

Well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    Perhaps it was because Mike wasn't anything overly special in college. I said some time ago that, as a runner, he wasn't even the best on his own team (Unversity of Arizona). Chris Henry was, but Henry developed fumblitis for some inexcplicable reason, so Mike took over the job to himself.

Now, there are a couple extenuating reasons for Mike's "mediocrity." One is that UA's OL flat-out stunk. They couldn't block a driveway with a Peterbilt. A RB has to have holes, or he simply will go nowhere, which is exactly where Mike went much of the time.

Another is injuries. I don't believe he is "injury-prone," but he did go through an incredible spate of bad luck with them, and he had to play through them much of the time. Therefore, he seemed slower than before and ran out of bounds more.

Nonetheless, we all know that recruiting rookies, whether through the draft or FA, is a crapshoot. We have seen "mediocre" rookies become superstars (ala TD, Karl Mecklenberg, Tom Brady) and Heisman Trophy winners bust (ala Steve Spurrier and Ron D . . .well the jury is still out).

Do we have another TD? Of course, the odds are strongly against it. But then, we didn't know TD was TD until he got his chance, did we?

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 07-30-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Do we have another TD? Of course, the odds are strongly against it. But then, we didn't know TD was TD until he got his chance, did we?

-----
    No sir, we didn't

If Khan says that Mike Bell's having a great camp, then Mike Bell's having a great camp.

Say, what did you notice about Mike Anderson last year, Khan? Same as Bell?
    DARRENT WILLIAMS
    1982-2007

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkana7
    If Khan says that Mike Bell's having a great camp, then Mike Bell's having a great camp.

Say, what did you notice about Mike Anderson last year, Khan? Same as Bell?
    Last year Mike was the most heady of the backs. He was also the most complete. He doesn't have the explosiveness that Mike Bell has, that's mostly due to age. Mike was a much better blocker, but a few years at fullback will do that to a man.

I'll post what I think about Mike Bell in another thread.
    KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Seems like typical coach speak to me...but, it's not like we aren't in dire need of a 3rd back. Hopefully Bell or someone else can really step up.

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Seems like typical coach speak to me...
    Coaches usually don't talk about undrafted free agents like that... If they are ok, they'll be unmentioned. If they are bad, they'll be unmentioned and cut. If they are very impressive, the coach will talk about them.

I don't know, but it seems to me like Mike Bell is rapidly gaining on Cobbs for the #3 RB roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
    Coaches usually don't talk about undrafted free agents like that... If they are ok, they'll be unmentioned. If they are bad, they'll be unmentioned and cut. If they are very impressive, the coach will talk about them.

I don't know, but it seems to me like Mike Bell is rapidly gaining on Cobbs for the #3 RB roster spot.
    The various reports from outside observers have also been talking up Mike Bell. If it wasn't for all the other backs sounding mostly mediocre, I might not give this much credence. But since he's the only one standing out, he could have a legitimate shot of coming out of nowhere.

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon
    The various reports from outside observers have also been talking up Mike Bell. If it wasn't for all the other backs sounding mostly mediocre, I might not give this much credence. But since he's the only one standing out, he could have a legitimate shot of coming out of nowhere.

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.
    I read an interesting observation elsewhere as to why Mike Bell has been so much more up for it than the other backs. The temperature has been in in the high nineties in the afternoon at camp. Mike Bell coming from Arizona would be much more accustomed to going at it all day in this kind of heat.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

I never bought into the Cedric Cobbs talk at all, there is a reason he was cut from New England and it wasn't because he was a legitimate starter in the NFL. It's because he STUNK. I'd much rather see a kid like Mike Bell on this team over Cedric Cobbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws
    I read an interesting observation elsewhere as to why Mike Bell has been so much more up for it than the other backs. The temperature has been in in the high nineties in the afternoon at camp. Mike Bell coming from Arizona would be much more accustomed to going at it all day in this kind of heat.

Good point.

We all know how the heat can affect our Broncos.

Week 1 2005 anyone?

Huh. Interesting idea. If true, maybe the rest of our backs will be better than they look right now. If not true, then I hope Mike Bell keeps looking this good.

But really, our running backs should be able to handle a little heat. The receivers and corners are the ones doing sprints every play and if anybody should be feeling it, it would be them.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

exactly,

i was just saying that in another thread. He's stated himself the other day that he loves the heat, this is his kind of wheather, bring the heat on.( too lazy to find the link) Also dont forget he's running with 3rd and 4th teamers. But hey, i say get in where u fit in, and it'll pay off. The kid is really gonna be something special. He'll definetly get some carries this year i think. Even if we dont get hit by the injury bug.
    My adopt-a-bronco is.......Ron Dayne

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i261/qrox/thRon_Dayne.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i261/qrox/thHeisman.jpg[/IMG]