Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Broncos | Shanahan impressed with M. Bell
    Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:24:13 -0700

Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said Sunday, July 30, he is impressed with Broncos' rookie RB Mike Bell. "Mike's having a heck of a camp. He really has stepped up and has been very impressive. A lot of players see him making plays that they haven't seen for awhile. He's right in the mix."
    I don't want to brag, but this should show you guys what I'm reporting is legit. I also suggest you compare my notes against this source:
    http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...&#entry5237326

The man reporting for footballguys has done a great job and is the only report appart from SoCalBroncos that seems to be reporting the same things that I'm seeing. He has a sideline pass too, so that gives him an edge with some angles and whatnot. It's certainly jives more with what I've been saying about the running backs than the total fiction this person invented on Tatum Bell:

RB: Tatum Bell was the rave of Day 1. Bell looked noticeably bigger and was in great condition. Bell ran exclusively with the first team and looked even more explosive than ever. He consistently ripped huge gains through the middle and outran defnders to the corner before cutting upfield for what would have easily been 10-15 yard gains. While Bell was focused and modest, you could see an air of confidence and swagger to him...something apparently Mike Shanahan liked because several people overheard him go up to Tatum Bell and ask him if he's ready to run for 1600. Bell was seen joking around with Plummer and Rod Smith as the second team got their reps. Ron Dayne looked solid, but unspectacular. Dayne ran with the second team and performed ok, had a case of fumbilitis for a while, but pulled himself together to finish the practice well.
    Bell was not the exclusive first team back, got hardly any reps on Tuesday, was not wowing the crowd, and Shanahan certainly wasn't pimping him during practice. Everyone is close enough that half the time you can hear what the coaches are saying. There are other problems with this faux report like him mentioning Dayne fumbiling all the time. There's been two fubles total at camp since yesterday and they were other backs. Don't believe everything you read, folks.
    KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylore
    Don't believe everything you read, folks.
    I'll just believe everything that YOU write

Well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    Thanks, and I didn't get why you hated on Mike Bell in the first place.
    Perhaps it was because Mike wasn't anything overly special in college. I said some time ago that, as a runner, he wasn't even the best on his own team (Unversity of Arizona). Chris Henry was, but Henry developed fumblitis for some inexcplicable reason, so Mike took over the job to himself.

Now, there are a couple extenuating reasons for Mike's "mediocrity." One is that UA's OL flat-out stunk. They couldn't block a driveway with a Peterbilt. A RB has to have holes, or he simply will go nowhere, which is exactly where Mike went much of the time.

Another is injuries. I don't believe he is "injury-prone," but he did go through an incredible spate of bad luck with them, and he had to play through them much of the time. Therefore, he seemed slower than before and ran out of bounds more.

Nonetheless, we all know that recruiting rookies, whether through the draft or FA, is a crapshoot. We have seen "mediocre" rookies become superstars (ala TD, Karl Mecklenberg, Tom Brady) and Heisman Trophy winners bust (ala Steve Spurrier and Ron D . . .well the jury is still out).

Do we have another TD? Of course, the odds are strongly against it. But then, we didn't know TD was TD until he got his chance, did we?

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 07-30-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Do we have another TD? Of course, the odds are strongly against it. But then, we didn't know TD was TD until he got his chance, did we?

-----
    No sir, we didn't

If Khan says that Mike Bell's having a great camp, then Mike Bell's having a great camp.

Say, what did you notice about Mike Anderson last year, Khan? Same as Bell?
    DARRENT WILLIAMS
    1982-2007

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

exactly,

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws
    I read an interesting observation elsewhere as to why Mike Bell has been so much more up for it than the other backs. The temperature has been in in the high nineties in the afternoon at camp. Mike Bell coming from Arizona would be much more accustomed to going at it all day in this kind of heat.

i was just saying that in another thread. He's stated himself the other day that he loves the heat, this is his kind of wheather, bring the heat on.( too lazy to find the link) Also dont forget he's running with 3rd and 4th teamers. But hey, i say get in where u fit in, and it'll pay off. The kid is really gonna be something special. He'll definetly get some carries this year i think. Even if we dont get hit by the injury bug.
    My adopt-a-bronco is.......Ron Dayne

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i261/qrox/thRon_Dayne.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i261/qrox/thHeisman.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Inkana7
    If Khan says that Mike Bell's having a great camp, then Mike Bell's having a great camp.

Say, what did you notice about Mike Anderson last year, Khan? Same as Bell?
    Last year Mike was the most heady of the backs. He was also the most complete. He doesn't have the explosiveness that Mike Bell has, that's mostly due to age. Mike was a much better blocker, but a few years at fullback will do that to a man.

I'll post what I think about Mike Bell in another thread.

By the way, who posted that fantasy story about Tatum Bell? Does anyone know the source?

I don't want to brag, but this should show you guys what I'm reporting is legit. I also suggest you compare my notes against this source:
    http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...&#entry5237326

. There's been two fubles total at camp since yesterday and they were other backs. Don't believe everything you read, folks.
    Actually Kaylore, I did see Ron Dayne fumble in the afternoon of the first day of training camp... I can't say I saw any other but I did see the one. Several of us did that were standing together.
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

By the way, who posted that fantasy story about Tatum Bell? Does anyone know the source?
    Took a few minutes of digging, but here it is.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...ode=linearplus

Then go down to post #27
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by broncos4ever
    Actually Kaylore, I did see Ron Dayne fumble in the afternoon of the first day of training camp... I can't say I saw any other but I did see the one. Several of us did that were standing together.
    I know. But one in three days and "Fumbles a lot" is hardly a fair annalysis.

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    Took a few minutes of digging, but here it is.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...ode=linearplus

Then go down to post #27
    Wow. Well either he's making stuff up or whoever his college buddy is is totally making stuff up. He probably wasn't even there.

Stuff like this:
    Champ Bailey picked him off twice when Cutler failed to put enough mustard on the ball.
    When has Cutler ever had trouble puting enough "mustard" on his throws? Also, why didn't anyone in the media, Andrew Mason or guys like myself report Bailey getting two interceptions?

Here's how you know it's garbage:
    Smith burned Champ Bailey for what appeared to have been about a 25-30 yard TD. Javon Walker was present but didnt get much work in. Walker participated in the conditioning drills but not in the football drills
    1. No one caught a pass on Bailey in the Morning practice.

2. Javon practiced with everyone and was not sidelined.

3. There is no such thing as "conditioning drills". There are only football drills.

Either this Big Daddy Kane is a total liar or his college friend is. Just reading what he wrote shows me neither of them was actually there nor have they ever been to an actual Broncos practice. I'm tempted to go over there and call that fraud out...

Either this Big Daddy Kane is a total liar or his college friend is. Just reading what he wrote shows me neither of them was actually there nor have they ever been to an actual Broncos practice. I'm tempted to go over there and call that fraud out...

Do it Do it Do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by watchthemiddle
    Do it Do it Do it!!!

No, but if some of you could post my stuff over there for me it'd be great. I'd love to see the members of the forum start getting confused.

I know. But one in three days and "Fumbles a lot" is hardly a fair annalysis.
    No argument from me. I also did not think the article on Tatum Bell was factual. I did see some good things from him that he probably has worked on.

Mike Bell right now has the ear and eye of Mike S. and others watching. He could be the darkhorse going into pre-season. Depends on how he does when running in the pre-season games.
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12