Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Go Cutler Go!

I posted the following questions over at Mane:

I have a couple questions:

• What is a 'move the ball' drill?
    • Mike Bell sounds impressive and as you guys have said, should at least be our short yardage back. I know this is putting you on the spot after only four practices, but if you had to predict now, what would our RB situation look like for the opener against St. Louis?
    • Can you give us some perspective on Cutler. You guys say he is getting better each practice, but how much. What I mean is, based on what you have seen, if Plummer went down with an injury in the first or second week, would we win with Cutler?

This was the response from SoCalBronco, one of the guys that has been attending traiining camp and writing the reports that Dream has been posting here.

Move the ball is like as if it is a drive itself.

I dont know what the RB situation is like in the coaches eyes, but if I were to rank them purely on merit, it would go:

1. M. Bell
    2. T. Bell
    3. Dayne
    4. Cobbs

Cutler is just as good as Plummer right now in my opinion. He has been very consistent the last few days and does not make many mistakes. On Saturday in particular he was outstanding. He's still learning, but I dont really think there is a gap between him and Plummer at all based on what I have seen. He has become proficient much quicker than I thought.

Here is a link to the thread
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    I posted the following questions over at Mane:

I have a couple questions:

• What is a 'move the ball' drill?
    • Mike Bell sounds impressive and as you guys have said, should at least be our short yardage back. I know this is putting you on the spot after only four practices, but if you had to predict now, what would our RB situation look like for the opener against St. Louis?
    • Can you give us some perspective on Cutler. You guys say he is getting better each practice, but how much. What I mean is, based on what you have seen, if Plummer went down with an injury in the first or second week, would we win with Cutler?

This was the response from SoCalBronco, one of the guys that has been attending traiining camp and writing the reports that Dream has been posting here.

Move the ball is like as if it is a drive itself.

I dont know what the RB situation is like in the coaches eyes, but if I were to rank them purely on merit, it would go:

1. M. Bell
    2. T. Bell
    3. Dayne
    4. Cobbs

Cutler is just as good as Plummer right now in my opinion. He has been very consistent the last few days and does not make many mistakes. On Saturday in particular he was outstanding. He's still learning, but I dont really think there is a gap between him and Plummer at all based on what I have seen. He has become proficient much quicker than I thought.

Now youwent and did it. JR will be in shortly and well I you take from there what's going to happen.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    Now youwent and did it. JR will be in shortly and well I you take from there what's going to happen.
    FWIW: Kaylore chimed in and said that Jay has more raw talent, but he doesn't think Jay is as polished as Jake right now. However, he is happy with how he is progressing and thinks he will be the start in '07 based on what he has seen in camp.

Apparently the Mane has blown a gasket, so I can't get back on to see exactly what Kaylore said, but that is close.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

FWIW: Kaylore chimed in and said that Jay has more raw talent, but he doesn't think Jay is as polished as Jake right now. However, he is happy with how he is progressing and thinks he will be the start in '07 based on what he has seen in camp.

Apparently the Mane has blown a gasket, so I can't get back on to see exactly what Kaylore said, but that is close.
    I appreciate you bring us his commentary.

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerfan
    I agree with TXBRONC statement!

I do not agree Jay will start by early this year and probably not this year and that is ok. Jake is a very good QB and it is really not realistic to think of a rookie to come in and take over a pro bowl QB their first year. I am just happy that Jay is coming in and making progress. I know some of the Denver fans are really not sure about Cutler and that is cool. I, like Vandyman53 have watched Jay here at Vanderbilt and watched his maturation. I KNOW that Jay is good because I have watched him for four years! That is why I am excited. This has nothing to do with BVP or Jake Plummer. I have no beef with either of them.
    Hey, Cutlerfan leave me out of this. I want JC by game 3!!!, lol.

In reality as Cutlerfan said we have followed the career of Jay Cutler. Yes, we are following him, but have become Bronco fans because that is where Jay has come to roost.

One must understand that Jay Cutler saved a program that was struggling to say the least. We want him to do well so high schoolers can see that he went to Vandy and see that if he did it there that they could also.

In the previous two years Vandy had signed exactly 2 three star high schoolers each year. The rest were two star. This year the total signed of 3 star is up to 8 which is quite a leap for Vandy.

We want Jay to do well, and if Jay does well so do the Broncos. I already have my #6 jersey and when the Broncos show up in Nashville in a couple of years I will have it on rooting for the Broncos. That would be an interesting day in Nashville. I would imagine several thousand #6 Bronco jerseys would be in LP field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylore
    Wow tough crowd. Your first round pick shows promise and it's met with boooo's.
    Only with the few who are terrified that their beloved Jake is about to be replaced.

I'm stoked!!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman
    Only with the few who are terrified that their beloved Jake is about to be replaced.

I'm stoked!!

Edit: Imo one to two years is most likely. But it wont be by the 3rd week under most circumstances.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-01-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    Possibly in two to three years.
    While I'm not as stoked as Mtnman, I would say one year at the most before Jay gets a real shot to win the job. Of course, Jake isn't going to just concede. Next year should be an exciting training camp, with tons of fiery debate over who should be the starter.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon
    While I'm not as stoked as Mtnman, I would say one year at the most before Jay gets a real shot to win the job. Of course, Jake isn't going to just concede. Next year should be an exciting training camp, with tons of fiery debate over who should be the starter.
    Shoot. I went back and changed the orignal because wasn't satisfied with what I said. Sorry Jav.

Anyway I argee with your statement.

Thanks Snk16

I'm stoked!!

I'm incredibly impressed with Jay, and even though I'll probably be branded a "Jakester" for this, I really don't think he has any chance of starting this season. Somebody on the Mane pointed out that if you throw a QB into the fire too early, it leads to him developing bad habits that will plauge him for the rest of his career. Jake is a good example of this.

Basically, I'm echoing what everybody else is saying, Take the Carson Palmer way, let Jay sit and learn the offense until he's completely comfortable with it, then unleash him upon the leauge. After all, even God, aka John Elway, has admitted he would have loved to have sat out his first few years.
    DARRENT WILLIAMS
    1982-2007

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by vandyman53
    Hey, Cutlerfan leave me out of this. I want JC by game 3!!!, lol.

In reality as Cutlerfan said we have followed the career of Jay Cutler. Yes, we are following him, but have become Bronco fans because that is where Jay has come to roost.

One must understand that Jay Cutler saved a program that was struggling to say the least. We want him to do well so high schoolers can see that he went to Vandy and see that if he did it there that they could also.

In the previous two years Vandy had signed exactly 2 three star high schoolers each year. The rest were two star. This year the total signed of 3 star is up to 8 which is quite a leap for Vandy.

We want Jay to do well, and if Jay does well so do the Broncos. I already have my #6 jersey and when the Broncos show up in Nashville in a couple of years I will have it on rooting for the Broncos. That would be an interesting day in Nashville. I would imagine several thousand #6 Bronco jerseys would be in LP field.
    I know what you mean. I wish the Titans/Bronco's game would have been at LP Field. I too would have my Cutler jersey on.

I can't wait until preseason. Do you think the Commodore Club will be showing the Detroit Denver game on 8-11? I am going to be there!

Still fail to understand how you would want the starting QB replaced by a rookie by week 3...
    Because the rookie has more talent....
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

Because the rookie has more talent....
    Talent? Hell yes. Experience? Familiarity with the playbook? His recievers? No. One year, Mtn_Man, one season and your boy will be behind center shredding defenses.
    DARRENT WILLIAMS
    1982-2007

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Hmmm.
    If anything, he keeps it up, and he will make a case for 2nd string, and second stringers are 1 play away from starting.
    I dont know much about this Preston Parsons but it sounds like BVP doesnt have enough arm to run with Jay. I like our chances with Jay if Jake was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJ
    Hmmm.
    If anything, he keeps it up, and he will make a case for 2nd string, and second stringers are 1 play away from starting.
    I dont know much about this Preston Parsons but it sounds like BVP doesnt have enough arm to run with Jay. I like our chances with Jay if Jake was injured.
    I agree. Cutler shouldn't be #1 yet. But it does seem more and more likely that he's fit for the #2 job already.

Although, since I will defend Jake's starting job because we're only 5 days into camp, I guess I should give BVP the same benefit of the doubt. Realistically, Shanny should probably wait until after the first preseason game before making any switch. Both Van Pelt and Cutler should see a lot of playing time that game and we can compare them better against defenses that actually want to inflict some bruises.

(The main difference being that I've never really been happy with BVP as our backup.)
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"