Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    320

    Dumervil moving outside

    I found this on DenverPost.com.

    The quest for a better pass rush continued as rookie Elvis Dumervil, who led the nation with 20 sacks last year, was moved from tackle to end.
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4123203

    I really like this move becuase I think that Dumervil will have more of an impact outside. I've only been reading positive things about Dumervil so far.
    R.I.P. Darrent Williams

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    1,777
    Could be our "Dwight Freeney". Freeney's greatest weapon is his speed, which Dumervil has, and his short stature. I remember seeing Freeney make Jonathan Ogden look plain silly in a game, because Ogden couldn't get low enough on Freeney to get leverage on him....when he COULD get his hands on him....Can't wait to see Elvis "The King" Dumervil do his thing this year.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    8,718
    The dude is going to be the Shawne Merriman at DE this year *Crosses fingers that my bold prediction is true*

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    Could be our "Dwight Freeney". Freeney's greatest weapon is his speed, which Dumervil has, and his short stature. I remember seeing Freeney make Jonathan Ogden look plain silly in a game, because Ogden couldn't get low enough on Freeney to get leverage on him....when he COULD get his hands on him....Can't wait to see Elvis "The King" Dumervil do his thing this year.
    Since when does Dumervil have speed? He runs in the 4.7 or 4.8 range.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

    It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    8,054
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575
    Since when does Dumervil have speed? He runs in the 4.7 or 4.8 range.


    40 yard times and burst off the LOS are two totally different things.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    13,488
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575
    Since when does Dumervil have speed? He runs in the 4.7 or 4.8 range.
    Dumervil is in that range over 40 yards, in a straight line, without pads. How often do DEs have to run 40 yards? The speed that counts is the speed to the QB . . . ten yards on in. Apparently, Dumervil has that kind of speed. It's called playing speed.

    -----

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575
    Since when does Dumervil have speed? He runs in the 4.7 or 4.8 range.
    You're right. He's definitely more quick than fast, and it's that explosive first step that is gonna cause alot of trouble for o-linemen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    Bingo. . . TDK -- and I don't know if this is a permanent switch. It just could mean he'd be seeing some more time out there as well. From what I've read in the reports, Kaylore and SoCal have said his quickness and leverage are giving interior lineman fits. This has nothing to do with Dumervil's performance in camp -- it's been very good, perhaps he's being moved outside because other people are playing poor. Perhaps, he's just being moved around to see what he can do. I wouldn't take this as a be-all-end-all that's where he's going to play. If they didn't think he could play tackle, I don't think he'd be getting that much praise from where he's been playing since camp started.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575
    Since when does Dumervil have speed? He runs in the 4.7 or 4.8 range.
    Quickness...............or, speed in the 6-10 yard range, which is all you need when playing that position, unlike Corner or Wide Receiver.
    ...............................................

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    You're right. He's definitely more quick than fast, and it's that explosive first step that is gonna cause alot of trouble for o-linemen.
    That's fine. I just don't think his speed can be compared to Dwight Freeney. He still could have a very good career, but I doubt it will be because of his speed.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

    It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575
    That's fine. I just don't think his speed can be compared to Dwight Freeney. He still could have a very good career, but I doubt it will be because of his speed.
    I've never bought the Freeney comparison, and Coyer may think it's a good one, but Dumervil is nowhere near the athlete he is. I think Elvis' fastest 40 time was clocked in at his campus agility tests were he had a 4.68, but I had heard some scouts had him clocked lower. That's still pretty fast, but then again as Top stated, he's not going to run 40 yards down field. His acceleration and burst off of the line of scrimmage are unquestioned. He's very quick in that regard.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575
    That's fine. I just don't think his speed can be compared to Dwight Freeney. He still could have a very good career, but I doubt it will be because of his speed.
    Freeney ran what...a 4.4-something? Freeney definitely has better pursuit speed, but overall quickness off the ball is pretty close from what I've seen. Dumervil also has ALOT of moves at his disposal that most rookie DE/DTs don't have right away. Of course I haven't seen him against any NFL lineman for 16 games.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sharkdom of Snowdonia,Wales
    Posts
    15,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    Bingo. . . TDK -- and I don't know if this is a permanent switch. It just could mean he'd be seeing some more time out there as well. From what I've read in the reports, Kaylore and SoCal have said his quickness and leverage are giving interior lineman fits. This has nothing to do with Dumervil's performance in camp -- it's been very good, perhaps he's being moved outside because other people are playing poor. Perhaps, he's just being moved around to see what he can do. I wouldn't take this as a be-all-end-all that's where he's going to play. If they didn't think he could play tackle, I don't think he'd be getting that much praise from where he's been playing since camp started.
    I'm sure that management mentioned that he would be played both outside and inside pretty soon after he was drafted. The more flexible he is in terms of positions he can play the better I reckon.

    Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    Absolutely Jaws, but nose and left end might be a little hard for him, UT and RE would suit him best, but what separates this kid away from most lineman his size are his wingspan and his motor. Kid just doesn't quick. A lot of people say he played against bad competition, but I don't care. He single handedly beat Kentucky on defense. He made everyone on that line, their RB and their QB his personal. . . _ _ _ _ _ . . . (You know what I mean!) Dumervil probably won't be a Michael Strahan, but a guy because of his motor, instincts and quickness could notch 5-8 sacks a year in his role on the team. Hell, that'd be better than anyone last year.

    From SoCal on Dumervil:

    "Dumervil is starting at DT on the first team nickel and is playing DE in the base on the 2nd team from what I have seen."
    Last edited by Dream; 08-02-2006 at 12:22 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    8,718
    Please people, don't forget that this is the same guy who forced 10 fumbles in a season

    The dude was a monster at Louisville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •