Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

8/3 Camp Report from Orangemane

Courtesy of SoCalBronco from the Mane...

QUARTERBACKS

Shaky. All of them. Jake connected early with Kircus but lead him in a way that could have gotten him nailed. He later completed a throw to Clark, but it was behind him. Jake had some good connections with Scheffler in the red zone drills though. He put one up on the sideline near the goal and Scheffler came down with it over Champ. Jake did have two interceptions today, one by Fox who stepped in front of the reciever on a slant and another by Al. Jake also put too much on it on a deep ball to Watts.

Cutler made some plays but also had his share of struggles. The pass rush early on forced him into a bad throw. He led Alexander on a deep ball a little too much too. Khan had a great observation on Jay. When he throws to sideline routes on outs and comebacks to his left, they seem to be a little off, but when these routes are thrown to the right, they are spot on, so that is something he has to work on a little bit. He did throw some sweet balls though on slants. He had another real nice dart as he usually has a few times a day but it was dropped by Terrell. Overall, he was up and down though.

BVP was BVP. Inconsistent, but not horrible.

RUNNING BACKS

In the beginning of practice, they worked on runs vs. 8 man fronts and predictably all the backs generally struggled to find any room to run, although Cobbs had a few decent plays, which was surprising given his struggles. Against the 7 man fronts, what has been happening in camp the rest of time held up today too: The Bells are clearly ahead of everyone else. Tatum contineud to find creases and Mike Bell continues to hit the hole hard and can cut real quick. Khan and I were talking about him a little and he noted that Mike Bell is kind of a combination of MA and Tatum. He's got that speed and acceleration but he can also play the physical game and read whats going on. Tatum had the best run in practice. In the last third of the practice, he made a sweet cutback and just totally exploded through the line down the field. He was never touched at any point. He's still not as consistent as Mike Bell on a carry to carry basis, but he is playing well out there. I noticed Mike Bell block Corey Jackson on a pass play and held up his ground pretty well.

WIDE RECIEVERS AND TIGHT ENDS

Marshall had an up and down day. He made a couple mental mistakes in terms of lining up in one place until he was told to go in motion to another place and he was chewed out by Shanny for dropping a ball on a square out from the slot when he turned his head around for the ball late. He did have some good catches today though. He caught several drags. They gave Walker the morning off and ofcourse Rod is out with his minor hammy thing. I thought Terrell was consistent (but for one drop) as was Clark. Darius helped himself out today with a nice endzone grab on a throw from BVP beating Curome Cox. He also had a CB beat on a deep ball that Jake overthrew.

Scheffler returned to full beast form today. He made a bunch of receptions and some of them down the field too. He had that nice sideline catch beating Champ. He beat Lynch on a corner route and hauled it in, got some props for that. None of the other TEs really did much. Nate Jackson is hurt again with some kind of injury.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Again, I know this sounds repetitive but the OL did a good job in the run game, but had some issues pass protecting. Foster continues to disappoint me. He got owned by Lang a couple times. Lepsis got beat only once though that I saw and that was by Corey Jackson. Chris Myers sort of got confused on a twist. Kuper has been getting some love lately but on a stunt, Ekuban got by him and Kuper was later beat by someone else. Meadows was not impressive in pass protection either. Now I'll give him a break on that since he has just gotten back into the grove of things, but Engelberger beat him early in practice (John was real good today for the first time in camp).

DEFENSIVE LINE

Yep, Roh, they are getting some decent pass rush. John Engelberger had an outstanding day. He started the day well shedding a lineman to get to the back. He later beat Meadows in pass rushing. He teamed with Ian later to get a would be sack. I thought he played really well today. The DL did well stopping the run in 8 man fronts but still struggled against the run in 7 man fronts. It may be because Coyer is now lessening their responsibilities against the run a little, though. But they are definitely having some issues against the run. Dumervil batted down a Jake pass and again had a would be sack. Corey Jackson is doing okay too in pass rush as he has the last few days. Didnt see alot of pass rushing from Warren but he helped to stuff a couple of run plays. Lang was very good.

LINEBACKERS

The starters did a good job again. Big Al had an interception. Ian had a nice hit on someone and played good. DJ had a TFL early on against Dayne, as did Nate Webster. Nate had a real nice blowup in the backfield. Did not notice Hollowell today. Vaughn got exposed a little against Scheffler.

SECONDARY

Fox was the best player on the field today, arguably. It was good to see him comeback from a poor day yesterday. He was dominant in the red zone drills especially. He went up against the much bigger Marshall on a fade and broke it up in the back of the endzone. Shortly thereafter, he broke up another endzone fade, this time to Watts. And, as mentioned earlier, he picked off a Jake throw on a slant. D-Will was okay. I didn't watch Paymah alot, but Med said he is getting better. Tyler Everett, the rookie from Ohio State had a nice day against the run. He helped to blow up a few runs when he was the extra man in the box in the 8 man fronts vs. the run. Shoate is getting better, he may be moving up the charts a little.He is definitely ahead of Willie and might be pushing Paymah. He deflected a ball away from Clark. Sam Brandon remains out with injury.
    Last edited by LDB; 08-03-2006 at 11:06 AM.
    Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Good to hear about Engelberger doing something. His name hasn't come up a lot recently.

Bell and Bell, that sounds good. We'll see once preseason games start up tho. Once the real bullets start flying, the true colors show.

Thanks for the info........I think Scheffler is going to turn some heads this preseason. I saw him last Sunday and he looked quick and grabbed everything thrown to him.

It's damn good that we're getting that pass rush going!

Also, once again... I LOVE what I'm hearing about Tatum and Mike -- this could be a serious duo this year.

<- Ready for the salute
    I love when this gets posted every day

Thank you very much LDB. I'm glad to see some print on my adoptee D.J. Williams. I have just one question what does TFL stand for?

As for the rest of you young clowns don't laugh at me. You'll hurt my feelings.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    Thank you very much LDB. I'm glad to see some print on my adoptee D.J. Williams. I have just one question what does TFL stand for?

As for the rest of you young clowns don't laugh at me. You'll hurt my feelings.
    Tackle For a Loss

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
    Tackle For a Loss
    Thanks. (Me= )
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

The Bells are clearly ahead of everyone else. Tatum contineud to find creases and Mike Bell continues to hit the hole hard and can cut real quick. Khan and I were talking about him a little and he noted that Mike Bell is kind of a combination of MA and Tatum. He's got that speed and acceleration but he can also play the physical game and read whats going on.
    Bold = Good to hear!!

Bold + Orange = OoOooO yeah baby!!! Pound that ball.

Thanks for sharing the updates.

Mike Bell Rocks. good for everyone else especially Foxworth. Foxworth is awesome too.
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif

am I the only one who finds it funny that Mike Bell, who's name is basically MA and TB's name combined, is drawing comparisons as that, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell combined?
    Blet

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    Thanks. (Me= )
    Don't feel bad, I was gonna ask the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangePeel
    am I the only one who finds it funny that Mike Bell, who's name is basically MA and TB's name combined, is drawing comparisons as that, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell combined?
    Probably. But I just noticed that.
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif

Isn't this like the third day in a row that comments have been made from camp about how Jake is "off-target" on several of his throws?

Seems like he hasn't improved in that area at all from last year. Remember the hammering Putzier took on several off-target throws, along with the missed throws to Lelie?

It's no secret (not a bash) that Jake has the tendency to be off-target (over-throwing, throwing behind the receiver, etc....). He's been that way his whole time here.

It appears to continue to be an area of weakness.

Concerning Jay's throws. That weakness to the left is something I remember reading in one of the pre-draft reports on him. He apparently needs to continue working on getting better in that area.

As far as BVP goes, I think we are seeing why he's likely to be 3rd string (or gone) by the time the season starts. He simply hasn't put it together.

I'm excited about what we're hearing about Mike Bell. Could be another one of those Shanny "diamonds" he finds.

The defense sounds like it's ahead of the offense at this stage of camp. I guess that's to be expected this early. The offense has more new players than the D does.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman
    Isn't this like the third day in a row that comments have been made from camp about how Jake is "off-target" on several of his throws?

Seems like he hasn't improved in that area at all from last year. Remember the hammering Putzier took on several off-target throws, along with the missed throws to Lelie?

It's no secret (not a bash) that Jake has the tendency to be off-target (over-throwing, throwing behind the receiver, etc....). He's been that way his whole time here.

It appears to continue to be an area of weakness.

Concerning Jay's throws. That weakness to the left is something I remember reading in one of the pre-draft reports on him. He apparently needs to continue working on getting better in that area.

As far as BVP goes, I think we are seeing why he's likely to be 3rd string (or gone) by the time the season starts. He simply hasn't put it together.

I'm excited about what we're hearing about Mike Bell. Could be another one of those Shanny "diamonds" he finds.

The defense sounds like it's ahead of the offense at this stage of camp. I guess that's to be expected this early. The offense has more new players than the D does.
    Regarding your last paragraph--from what I saw in camp, the 1st Offense was ahead of the 1st D when running against the 7-man front, the 1st D ahead of the 1st O against when 1st D playing 8-man front and the 1st D slightly ahead (or maybe even) of the O in the passing game (tougher to tell because they weren't sacking and they weren't laying out receivers). The 1st offensive line really looked like they were rolling in the running game!! Coordinated pass blocking did not look sharp.