Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman
    As I stated when this point was brought up....

There's a difference between knowing the playbook and delivering the playbook.

I will say it again...

I would rather have a QB with talent who's learning the playbook, over a QB with less talent who "knows" the playbook.

Any idea on what Shanahan's stance on playing rookie QB's is? The recent trend in the NFL has been to completely sit them the first year. I don't like that philosiphy, I think they should get in their for mop up and late season play whenever possible.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    Any idea on what Shanahan's stance on playing rookie QB's is? The recent trend in the NFL has been to completely sit them the first year. I don't like that philosiphy, I think they should get in their for mop up and late season play whenever possible.
    Who know's, we only have the likes of Lewis, Griese, and Van Pelt to go by (Good Lord!).......You'd think Cutler is worth getting in there when possible.....That could just be wishful thinking.

I'm not surprised....

By the way, I was at camp today and it really was not a surprise.

BVP was off-target most of the day, although he did get a nice bomb pass in one of the drills today.

Jay's passes are crisp, on-target, with touch when necessary.

One step closer to the starter job....

Its about time you see him with your OWN eyes and not from some article or analyst on ESPN. Now maybe you can form your own OPINION and it can be a little more credible.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthemiddle
    Its about time you see him with your OWN eyes and not from some article or analyst on ESPN. Now maybe you can form your own OPINION and it can be a little more credible.

I know you two don't like each other but can you both try to avoid posts where the only point is to insult the other? Pretty please?

Seeing the camps in person is great and I wish I could join in. But I think we all know that actual game performance will make or break a player's career. We'll get our first look at Cutler in just a few days but obviously that will only be partially revealing because it's just preseason. We won't know how good the kid will be until he actually gets into a real game that means something.

Until then, we'll just have to keep dreaming of the future possibilities.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Cutler on the rise - ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2542735

DENVER -- From 47 yards away, the Denver Broncos quarterbacks were taking turns trying to spiral a pass into a garbage can that was set up on the practice field.

Cutler
    Rookie quarterback Jay Cutler stepped up, lobbed a pass toward the trash receptacle and swished the football.

Things are definitely going Cutler's way right now. The first-round pick out of Vanderbilt was officially promoted to second-string quarterback Monday, replacing former Colorado State standout Bradlee Van Pelt. Cutler will now serve as Jake Plummer's backup.

And while this day may have been imminent, it arrived sooner than anyone may have anticipated.

Except for Cutler, that is. He wasn't surprised by the move.

"I was happy," Cutler said. "I think I've done some good things and picked it up pretty quick.

"I still have a lot to learn."

The learning curve hasn't been all that steep for Cutler. Denver coach Mike Shanahan has been impressed with his prized quarterback so far in camp.

"He's picked up things very quickly and thrown the ball extremely well," Shanahan said.

But he's still got a ways to go.

"By no means is he a polished quarterback at this time," Shanahan said.

Cutler will now be facing the Broncos' first-team defense on a regular basis in camp. The team is interested in seeing how Cutler fares against a defensive unit that was third in the NFL in points allowed last season.

"He'll get used to the speed of the game in the NFL against a (darn) good defense," assistant coach Mike Heimerdinger said. "Those windows he has been seeing may not be quite as wide open when Champ Bailey's out at corner and our linebackers are dropping underneath the zone. We'll see what he does with that."

So far, Cutler has quickly grasped the Broncos' complicated offense. But he doesn't know the playbook like the back of his hand quite yet.

"I'm still thinking a lot out there and not just reacting," he said. "I'm happy with where I'm at right now."

So is quarterbacks coach Pat McPherson.

"He's handled everything we've given him pretty well," McPherson said. "I'd give him a B+, which is really good for a rookie. That's the thing about him _ nothing fazes him."

Van Pelt left the door open for Cutler with an erratic camp. He hasn't been crisp and has been overshooting receivers.

However, Van Pelt took the demotion with dignity.

"Whether I agree or whether I disagree, it doesn't matter," Van Pelt said. "It's a business and I have to accept it and keep improving."

When the Broncos selected Cutler with the 11th overall pick, and then signed him to a package worth up to $48 million over six years, Van Pelt had to know this day was coming.

"I went back and forth," said Van Pelt, who was promoted to the backup spot during last year's training camp. "A lot of people said that it was inevitable. I just said I was going to go out there and just play. I can't worry about it. I have no control."

There will be no lingering animosity between Cutler and Van Pelt. The friendly competition as they tried to throw a football into the trash can after Monday's practice was evidence of that. They understand the situation.

"It's competition out here, and Coach is going to play the best guy," Cutler said. "No matter where you are drafted or how many years you have been in the league, he (Shanahan) is going to play the best guy and that's what it's all about."

Thnaks man, great read! ~

You have given out too much Contributor Status in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    I'll getcha' when I can.

Broncos just signed a new reciever....Trash can. This is football not basketball. I think the Nuggets are looking for another outside shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp_shepherd
    Broncos just signed a new reciever....Trash can. This is football not basketball. I think the Nuggets are looking for another outside shooter.
    No one said it was basketball.

If that's all you can come up with, you DEFINITELY missed the point.

Back on topic....

Way to go Jay!! You'll be the #1 QB in no time.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

Thumbs up

No one said it was basketball.

If that's all you can come up with, you DEFINITELY missed the point.

Back on topic....

Way to go Jay!! You'll be the #1 QB in no time.

uhh...he wont' be until two years....sure we will both have gray hair by then...

It's good to see Cutler making strides, but really...who didn't think he'd beat out BVP? I've repeatedly in past posts, talked of his HORRID accuracy and poor...no, SUB-Jake decision making skills. The guy is a turd that should be flushed sooner, rather than later. It sounds like Preston Parsons is better than BVP...hell my neighbor kid looks more accurate with the football. Hell, he broke the mirror off my motorcycle from two lawns away! Let's see you do THAT BVP!!

Quote Originally Posted by watchthemiddle

Well, I've watched for 4 years along with Cutlerfans and others on this board that don't speak out. I formed my opinion his junior year, and he just kept reiterating it.

Quote Originally Posted by vandyman53
    Well, I've watched for 4 years along with Cutlerfans and others on this board that don't speak out. I formed my opinion his junior year, and he just kept reiterating it.
    I'm with you vandyman!!

I didn't form my OPINIONS about Cutler from some analyst. I didn't follow him as long as you, but I was in his camp BEFORE the draft, DURING the draft and now AFTER the draft.

He'll be #1 sooner rather than later.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

He'll be #1 sooner rather than later.
    Definition of sooner?
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    Definition of sooner?
    The root word of sooner is soon....

Soon
    Function: adverb
    source: Webster's

1. at once : IMMEDIATELY - b : without undue time lapse : BEFORE LONG <soon after sunrise>

2. in a prompt manner - SPEEDILY <as soon as possible> <the sooner the better> <no sooner said than done>

3. before the usual time

So, Jay will be #1 without an undue time lapse (before long).

He will be #1 in a prompt manner (speedily), as soon as possible, and the sooner the better.

He will be #1 without an undue lapse time lapse.

I hope this helps....

The root word of sooner is soon....

Soon
    Function: adverb
    source: Webster's

1. at once : IMMEDIATELY - b : without undue time lapse : BEFORE LONG <soon after sunrise>

2. in a prompt manner - SPEEDILY <as soon as possible> <the sooner the better> <no sooner said than done>

3. before the usual time

So, Jay will be #1 without an undue time lapse (before long).

He will be #1 in a prompt manner (speedily), as soon as possible, and the sooner the better.

He will be #1 without an undue lapse time lapse.

I hope this helps....

I guess I tossed you that softball... Although it was clearly a non answer.

Anyway, Mortenson quoted Lynch as saying that he thinks Cutler has a Elway/Favre like arm, but he doubts he will be around to see it. Don't know if that is an indication of how soon Lynch thinks he will be gone, or how soon he thinks before Cutler starts.